Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 90mm F-4 Phantom II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PhantomNut View Post
    Have any of you guys that have painted over freewing models had any luck shooting Tamiya spray paint over the factory paint without any damage?
    The only Tamiya ( AS-20 Insignia While ) I've used is over primer and so far the results don't hold a candle to Model Masters. Lots of flaking and cracking. I prepped the surface well so I'm blaming the paint.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• My version of the 184th TFG Kansas ANG, circa 1986.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDreier View Post
        My version of the 184th TFG Kansas ANG, circa 1986.
        LD, Only as you would do it, old friend, perfectly. Great choice of livery! ;)Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

The only Tamiya ( AS-20 Insignia While ) I've used is over primer and so far the results don't hold a candle to Model Masters. Lots of flaking and cracking. I prepped the surface well so I'm blaming the paint.

Mike
          Thanks Mike! MM it is.

Comment

• New VMFAT-101 Phantom is ready to go! The VMFA-232 jet is from the first batch of SEA camo jets. I had a lot of fun flying her last year, hopefully her sister will be as graceful.
            Waiting for a good weather day for a maiden. The wind is howling out there right now. I had a hard time getting the jets to stay in one place to take this photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	171043

Comment

• That looks awesome! well done.

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                New VMFAT-101 Phantom is ready to go! The VMFA-232 jet is from the first batch of SEA camo jets.
                EA6BG, Echoing...Bravo Zulu. You do nice work. Phantom envy, I gotta get me another. Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

EA6BG, Echoing...Bravo Zulu. You do nice work. Phantom envy, I gotta get me another. Best, LB
                  The more the better LB! Building my very own Marine Air Wing right here in Ohio.

Comment

The more the better LB! Building my very own Marine Air Wing right here in Ohio.
                    LOL Marine Air Station Ohio! I like it! Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine Air Station Ohio.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	171087
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

LOL Marine Air Station Ohio! I like it! Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine Air Station Ohio.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	171087
                      That's pretty cool! I would have never thought of it! Looks like a job for Callie!!

Comment

New VMFAT-101 Phantom is ready to go! The VMFA-232 jet is from the first batch of SEA camo jets. I had a lot of fun flying her last year, hopefully her sister will be as graceful.
                        Waiting for a good weather day for a maiden. The wind is howling out there right now. I had a hard time getting the jets to stay in one place to take this photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	171043
                        Hi EA-6B,
                        What kind of paint did you use on your Red Devils F-4? I received my gray F-4 and I think the gray is a bit too dark so I was thinking of painting over it.

Comment

• Nut, the grey on the Red Devil F-4 is actually a little darker than the factory grey bird. Maybe it doesn't look that way in the photo. And believe it or not, that grey is automotive primer, straight outa the can.

Comment

• Excellent work!
                            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Nut, the grey on the Red Devil F-4 is actually a little darker than the factory grey bird. Maybe it doesn't look that way in the photo. And believe it or not, that grey is automotive primer, straight outa the can.
                              Ok, Thanks!

Comment

• I'm about to order the Ghost Gray version and paint it in my old VF-161 colors. I flew F-4N's, J's and S's in the Navy and can tell all what a huge difference the slats made in the S in terms of controllability at high AOA's and slower speeds.

First, with the Freewing 90mm, has anyone had issues with wing rock at high AOA's? Wing fall off in hard turns? How about stalling in the flare?

Second, has anyone considered or actually tried permanently mounted slats?

I understand that the wing loading on these is far lower than real life. I'm relatively new to the hobby and at the moment my only EDF is a 70mm T-45, though it's huge fun and am enjoying the heck out of it.

Last point and question... we HATED wing tanks. As god is my witness I'll never mount the ones on the model. ;) Does anyone sell the 3DP centerline tank?

Thanks in advance! Great thread!!!

Comment

• She has no bad habits. The stall is a mush and it drops the nose.

Where you in 161? I was on Midway 77-79.

Comment

• Originally posted by curlyculp View Post
                                    I'm about to order the Ghost Gray version and paint it in my old VF-161 colors. I flew F-4N's, J's and S's in the Navy. We HATED wing tanks. As God is my witness I'll never mount the ones on the model. ;) Does anyone sell the 3DP centerline tank?
                                    CC, The stl files for a 600 Gallon version are available on Thingiverse, designed by DirtyDee, if you have access to a 3DP. Check if that is the one you want. I will be adding that tank to my Phantom when I get to that part of the build. I could print one for you as well then and ship it to you. Let me know. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I'm about to order the Ghost Gray version and paint it in my old VF-161 colors. I flew F-4N's, J's and S's in the Navy and can tell all what a huge difference the slats made in the S in terms of controllability at high AOA's and slower speeds.

First, with the Freewing 90mm, has anyone had issues with wing rock at high AOA's? Wing fall off in hard turns? How about stalling in the flare?

I understand that the wing loading on these is far lower than real life. I'm relatively new to the hobby and at the moment my only EDF is a 70mm T-45, though it's huge fun and am enjoying the heck out of it.

Last point and question... we HATED wing tanks. As god is my witness I'll never mount the ones on the model. ;) Does anyone sell the 3DP centerline tank?

Nice Picture Mate! Nice to hear from another Navy Pilot! I just bet ya, no one new about those wing tanks till you said something man. I didn't know.

Best Regards
                                      Woody

Comment

I'm about to order the Ghost Gray version and paint it in my old VF-161 colors. I flew F-4N's, J's and S's in the Navy and can tell all what a huge difference the slats made in the S in terms of controllability at high AOA's and slower speeds.

Hello Curly and welcome to Squawk fellow shipmate.:)
                                        I'm sure you haven't had enough time to peruse throughout the various threads so let me point to an important one and please make your mark on the Military Branch Survey. ;)

And you too also WoodcockLOL
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

The real f-4 could carry 16,000 pounds on the wings and internal fuel was 8000 pounds, so yes, I'd say the real one had slightly higher wing loading. Really not comparable in any way except looks

Comment

Working...
                                          X