Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is Chris "The RC Geek" Wolfe flying his superb QF-4B Target Drone "The Great Pumpkin" down at Rabbit Dry Lake...😎

This started out as a stock Freewing F-4 Phantom II and pays homage to all those F-4's that ultimately ended up being shot down...by their OWN country...

Enjoy 😁!

Comment

• I had the maiden today on the 8s setup and wanted to say thank you to all that posted necessary upgrades and fixes on here. Thanks to you all, things were uneventful. This is a great flying jet! I was really wanting to go 6s originally to keep the weight down but I’m so happy with the 8s! The power to weight is awesome and it really pulls you out of a bind if you need it!

I added these recommended mods:

Hitec elevator servo (this is a must)
      4-40 ball links and threaded rod for elevator
      RF Chokes on ESC wires I could reach in battery bay
      Mine definitely needed a decent amount of right trim. Someone else on here said they’ve own 3 and they all needed right trim. (This is important. If you’re too heavy on the throttle on maiden take off, the high speed can make the roll rate substantial.)

I’m flying Spektrum 6s 5000 batteries with an added Roaring too 2s 5000. The two spektrum batteries are a 30c and a 50c. Both roaring tops are 70c.

The Hitec servo mod is a must. The original elevator servo sounded like a child’s toy, and didn’t center well. The Hitec moves far smoother too. I would never trust flying this jet to the original elevator servo after feeling the Hitec.

My CG was around 190mm like the book said and my rates were set up like the book. Low rates is plenty for a maiden on this plane. It landed a little hot but I never use flaps on the first flight.

The F-4 feels locked in through the whole flight range. It even dealt with me giving it bumps of wayyy too much elevator on landing without stalling out. It’s such a great plane to fly. Charging now and waiting to take it out again!

Comment

• Well done laddie...another flier!!

Had a couple of flights myself yesterday ......great conditions. Before I got airborne I watched a couple of guys in the park lifting a 200k concrete ball back and forth over a 4ft hurdle .

For what it's worth I've been flying for a while now with a standard size analogue servo in the tail.

Comment

• Good job FO17! Liked RF choke use and upgraded FFS tail hardware and servo and right aileron trim confirmation. After having good luck with the MKS HV69 high torque servos in the MiG-29, I am now using this servo in the P-38 and F-4 pitch axis control, too. More expensive, but peace of mind.

Experiment with Expo on the elevator….30% helps take out the bumps on approach.

It remains on my list of birds to take to the field! Many times folks have stopped by to tell me that either they worked on the F-4 in Nam, or piloted it there. They are amazed at the accuracy of the model and love the way it looks in the air.

-GG

Here is the amount of aileron trim I carry….photo

Click image for larger version  Name:	92388552-9B4D-405C-9624-F1EAACA7FC71.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	314319

Comment

• Thanks a lot GliderGuy! Your right trim posts might have saved my plane. I didn’t go as far as you had it trimmed, just in case, but I needed to add a little more to it once I lifted off.

with the 8s, I could fly around safely at 1/3 throttle to get the major trimming done.

I think it was your posts on the RF chokes that I followed also. Are you guys pulling the ESC’s out to do it? I pushed the chokes as far in there as I could without removing the ESC.

I may try some other servos too, for other models. That’s good to know about the MKS. I may try those on my Corsair elevator. The stock Flite Line servo has trouble centering. (It also seems like a large Corsair for a mini servo on elevator)

I wanted to ask someone, do you get a benefit from flaps, to slow it down on landing? And about how much flap throw do you like landing with. I was thinking of starting with 50%, putting in elevator mix and going from there

Also, is there a ‘reply to’ button somewhere on this forum that I’m missing? I’m new to HobbySquawk but can’t see how to reply to a specific post from someone (at least on my iPhone)

Thanks again!!

Comment

• FO17, In the lower right by the LIKE you can select “quote” from the 3 dots. Then you can edit the amount of the quote you want to restate. Clicking on the mail letter icon opens a private message (PM) response option.

On the flaps….read
              https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...826#post313826

I operate off pavement, so I don’t use flaps on take-off. I use about 45 degrees for landing. CAUTION - set the mix by the manual. Don’t overdo it.

I prefer the HV69 because it has a lower-than-most minimum operating voltage spec…added margin of safety. MKS does not offer a reverse option, so I use the Futaba SR-10 servo reverser when necessary. Good luck with it so far on over 1.000 MiG-29 flights. Note: MRC sells the HV69 servo.

FEATURES: DIMENSIONS (EXCLUDING PROTRUSIONS AND CORD): 38 mm x 23 mm x 10 mm WEIGHT(EXCLUDING PROTRUSIONS AND CORD): 24 g…

Rock solid, so far, and temperature stable.

Just get the chokes as close to the ESC as you can. Longer wires can splay out more RF noise. I did as you did….just pushed the chokes as far back as I could. Keep the length of wire between the ESC and choke as short as you can. On the AL37, you can get them right next to the ESC.

Have fun!

-GG

Comment

• I have about the book mid rate flaps but quite a bit more full flaps. It's on a slider so a bit more adjustable and I seldom use max flaps in the air landing. I almost always use half for take off.

I still have the stock elevator servo in mine but upgrading the push rod is pretty mandatory. Also check your servo mounting time to time (I guess regular inspection of everything is a good idea) as there have been reports of elevator servos coming loose.

Chokes... I don't use them. I even remove some of the ferrite rings that come on some ESCs (mostly when I may need that extra inch or two of wire to the receiver. No proven benefit to use them on our aircraft. At least definitive proof. But if it makes you comfortable using them why not....

As GG says, have fun!

Comment

• Back out quite late tonight because of football players, not guys, with an in your face take off wind. With the short field, trees and houses, that means a down wind landing. So, after a couple of minutes I put the gear and flaps down and just stooged around waiting for a break in the wind. Watching the plane's nav lights in the dusk was brilliant, almost a new concept in how to maintain orientation. Nice drop in the wind so came in to land with lights unusually noticeable and a great reference point ....... what's not to like about that !!!!!

Comment

• Got the F-4 Blue Angel out today and seems I got it dialed in nicely after putting the 12 blade inrunner in. It's not 8S, but damn, for 6S that 12 blade is fine. I've only got about 10 flights on it with this new fan as I've been spending most of the time with the camo F-4 after upgrading that as well. At least now both are flying great and I can take out either one out with no concerns. We had a 15 mph headwind which made landing super easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210528_111339.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	314345
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	B91495B7-1691-43D6-B59D-C297B048FEAC.jpeg
Views:	654
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	314361 Just a heads up like GG said for anyone doing their maiden: My F-4 needed substantial right trim right out of the box. Enough to have made take off a little hairy. I think he had 3 of the F-4’s and they all needed the same. Here are the pictures of how much right trim I needed: Click image for larger version

Name:	8F0540AD-38C3-410B-A0B2-1B2EAA60B4E3.jpeg
Views:	655
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	314360

Comment

• Yep….just like mine. The MRC support guy I spoke to about this confirmed his is the same.

Not a big deal, if you take care of it BEFORE your maiden.

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                          Yep….just like mine. The MRC support guy I spoke to about this confirmed his is the same.

Not a big deal, if you take care of it BEFORE your maiden.
                          I seen where several people have posted that their F-4's needed substantial right aileron trim but for some reason, both of my F-4's required very little trim, one only 1 click right and the other none. Maybe the12 blade inrunner and older birds were different (only joking).
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Congrats on the successful maiden, foamovercast17!
                            Hugh, I have a Freewing 12 blade in my 90mm F-18. I totally agree. Outstanding fan/motor.

I put the maiden on my 6s Phantom last Tuesday. Then 3 more flights today. Mine has the factory 130a ESC with a JetFan-90/HET 700-68-2100 from effluxRC. And an Aura 8. I’m VERY happy with this jet. Looks great, flies great, plenty of power. Mine too requires the offset right aileron trim. But that’s not a problem at all. I found a ProModeler DS160CLHV to be a great match for the Phantom elevator servo upgrade. Extremely powerful and accurate.

This is the video from flight #3 today. It’s one of those annoying hat-cam videos. But despite that you can see the outstanding power from the JetFan-90, even at an elevation of 4500’ and 85 degrees. I apologize for my cell phone ringing with the voice of Wilford Brimley. It’s an inside joke with my brother and sis-in-law.

I’m currently assembling an 8s Phantom. Going to put another JetFan-90 in this one. This time with a HET 700-68-1680. I’m hoping this one will REALLY move.

Name:	A61F1D5A-F6B4-47BE-96ED-87F7A1983F26.jpeg
Views:	743
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	314371Click image for larger version

Name:	67C7B013-DEFA-4139-A60C-D7DF10F36FC1.jpeg
Views:	752
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	314367Click image for larger version

Name:	73136B99-993B-46A6-95B5-04AC21F1CF04.jpeg
Views:	746
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	314369Click image for larger version

Name:	2323B8DF-EBDC-4C5F-B103-3B510B441363.jpeg
Views:	748
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	314368
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinhigh042 View Post
                              Congrats on the successful maiden, foamovercast17!
                              Hugh, I have a Freewing 12 blade in my 90mm F-18. I totally agree. Outstanding fan/motor.

I put the maiden on my 6s Phantom last Tuesday. Then 3 more flights today. Mine has the factory 130a ESC with a JetFan-90/HET 700-68-2100 from effluxRC. And an Aura 8. I’m VERY happy with this jet. Looks great, flies great, plenty of power. Mine too requires the offset right aileron trim. But that’s not a problem at all. I found a ProModeler DS160CLHV to be a great match for the Phantom elevator servo upgrade. Extremely powerful and accurate.

This is the video from flight #3 today. It’s one of those annoying hat-cam videos. But despite that you can see the outstanding power from the JetFan-90, even at an elevation of 4500’ and 85 degrees. I apologize for my cell phone ringing with the voice of Wilford Brimley. It’s an inside joke with my brother and sis-in-law.

I’m currently assembling an 8s Phantom. Going to put another JetFan-90 in this one. This time with a HET 700-68-1680. I’m hoping this one will REALLY move.
                              Excellent Flight Jeff, for just the 3rd Flight, I can see you've got some serious skills. And with that setup, it's definitely got some giddy up! The 8S should be even better. I've cornered the market lately on that 12 blade inrunner, have them in both my F-4's, in both of my F-18's (2nd one is in the paint shop) and my F-16. It really breathed life back in all of them since they started out with the 9 blade 1750 Kv outrunner (except the F-16, put that in it from the beginning). Kinda wonder how the new 9 blade inrunner they use stacks up, but flying off of grass and I think the 12 blade has more low end thrust. I took the 9 blade from the 2nd Hornet and stuck it in my old Stinger 90. Took it out today for the first time and it made a big difference over the old outrunner, but tough to compare it to the F-4 or F-18, so only a guess. I will say the F-4's/F-18's get off grass just as quick as the Stinger with the 9 blade, so feel that the 12 blade is just a bit better, at least on grass.

Every time I fly one of the F-4's, I'm amazed how well it handles and lands. Great to see everyone enjoying the hell out of it, I sure am!
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Thanks Hugh. And thank you for all of the good setup advice along the way. That was very helpful in getting the Phantom flying with almost no extra tweaking required. Like you said, what a wonderful flying EDF. I’m already planning on buying a grey ARF+ Phantom the moment they are back in stock. It’s that good.

I took the Freewing 9-blade inrunner that came with the 6s Phantom and dropped it in the Flex F-100. That instantly gave the 100 a boost in top end AND flight time. Win/Win. That EDF is no slouch for sure. I also have a brand new Freewing F-104 with the new inrunner 9-blade in it. I’m thinking that will make for a good combo as well. Maybe some day I will build up enough confidence to fly it... haha But I’m with you. The 12-blade inrunner is still something special.

Back to the Phantom. I’ve always had a “thing” for the mighty Phantom. When I was a kid we would vacation annually in Tucson. We would drive along side the HUNDREDS of F-4 Phantoms sitting in the Davis Monthan AFB boneyard. And I would daydream about sneaking inside the fence and “borrowing” one for a test drive. I guess the Freewing Phantom is the closest I will get to flying the Phantom.

Comment

• We've got a real F-4 mounted on the side of US 1 down near the Homestead Air Force base where many were stationed. One of these nights, I'm going to drop a 12 blade in it and see if we can get it in the air! Definitely one of my favorite Warbird Jets!

Name:	20190526_155058.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	314380Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_155129.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	314381Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_155200.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	314382
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Shredded my FMS Hawk last night.......pure pilot error, trying to be clever throwing it about rolled off the top of a half loop too far away, thought I rolled it to much and hadn't a clue which way the wee red dot in the sky was facing. Pulled some up and went straight down into a tree Happened after a couple of nice flights with the F4 ......sort of screwed up a good day.

Comment

• Locharrow….hate to hear that. “Far Away” can be a challenge, for sure! Gonna buy another Hawk?

A friend was given a night flyer motor glider. We flew it yesterday. What a hoot, but hated all the skeeters!

Now there’s an orientation challenge, near or far.

-GG

Click image for larger version  Name:	3C1AECFC-D29F-43BD-9277-81BF252BCA2D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	314481

Comment

• Hi All
                                        I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for some type of braking system for Freewing Jets? I have the F-4, T-33, and a F-86. What I don't have is a long enough asphalt runway. Ours is only about 300ft long and while it is fine for taking off, it is a wee bit short for landing on. I usually end up running off the end of the runway and sometimes knocking off a gear leg due to the rough overun.

Thank you for your time
                                        Carlos G.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                          X