Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 90mm F-4 Phantom II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
    My aim is to fly a F4 Phantom.. Work on them when I was in the RAF. Was not sure I was up to flying a F4 Phantom, so I brought a F 86 Sabre then progress onto the T33. Then brought the 90mm F22 and I am flying them all fine. I have told the F4 Phantom is a lot harder to fly then the EDF I have (( by some one who has never flown the Freewing F4 Phantom). So if I can fly the F86, the T33 and the 90mm F22. Would I be OK to progress to the F4 Phantom, or should I still get more practise on EDF.
    The next question is 6s or 8s. Would prefer the 8s

​​
    ​​​
    I went with the 8S. You takeoff with about a third more watts than the 6S. If you fly each one at the same speeds, you will get longer flight times to figure out the handling. You won't be as rushed for time.

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post

I right there with you bro on the details :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211024_112538.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	342854

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211024_114313.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	342853
      Sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
        My F-4 Blue Angel with the 6S 12 blade inrunner on a grass runway:
        nice flying Hugh... i hope to be that good and confident in my ability someday soon...

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

nice flying Hugh... i hope to be that good and confident in my ability someday soon...
          Those flights were flukes, I go through spare parts like my wife goes through shoes and purses! But seriously, I think it's more mental nervousness with the F-4 that once you get over it (which I still get squirrelly at times), you figure out that it really is a sweet flying EDF.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• " I go through spare parts like my wife goes through shoes and purses!" Hugh, your lucky............ my wife goes through my purse and I go through my own soles.

Comment

• Originally posted by locharrow View Post
              " I go through spare parts like my wife goes through shoes and purses!" Hugh, your lucky............ my wife goes through my purse and I go through my own soles.
              yeah - no comparison... not even close, and i'm the one that bought her all of the shoes and purses. forget about the jewelry... 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• "forget about the jewelry" I was two years off alcohol till you bring up jewelry .................

Comment

"forget about the jewelry" I was two years off alcohol till you bring up jewelry .................
                  There are alternatives:
                  Example: Cost of divorce = $100k
                  If you buy 5 planes post divorce but without having to ask permission = $20k per plane

Jewelry might actually be a cheaper solution!

-GG

Comment

• We've had our typical windy Spring weather for the last 2 months but did get out Wednesday for a few flights. Winds were constantly shifting and usually resulting in a crosswind, but you have to take what you get or stay home! The FW F4 really is an outstanding flying aircraft and with the 12 blade inrunner, it's got lot's of thrust to take-off from just about any grass surface quickly. More than enough speed for this "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" (in this case Miami) and the vertical is outstanding. This is one of my EDF's that I like to fly first in the day as it helps get my confidence going to fly some of the others. Started out using the bendable Spitfire nose pin when this first came out, but early last year swapped back to the stiffer stock pin and have yet to break it, but there's always tomorrow. This one's been around for a while, but "Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking" (a healthy spare parts inventory doesn't hurt either).

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                      Hugh, another great flight vid - gorgeous bird as well, and i love your rc field - no trees...🤣🤣🤣
                      I flew in Geneva (MARC field outside of Cleveland) yesterday and had more than my usual issues. The worst one was trying to land the F5 rocketship - i just could slow it down enough (not my day) and once i was able to finally set it down, it was still going so fast that it shot off the side of the runway and bounced up and then into the mud snapping the nose clean off where it connects to the battery compartment. The glue is still drying and i'll be doing some paint and body work later i guess... it didn't even bend the gear, which is more than i can say for the eflite f16 70mm - the weakest gear out there i think. still fun to fly though - i'm better at landing that than the F5. I guess i just need more practice...

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

Hugh, another great flight vid - gorgeous bird as well, and i love your rc field - no trees...🤣🤣🤣
                        I flew in Geneva (MARC field outside of Cleveland) yesterday and had more than my usual issues. The worst one was trying to land the F5 rocketship - i just could slow it down enough (not my day) and once i was able to finally set it down, it was still going so fast that it shot off the side of the runway and bounced up and then into the mud snapping the nose clean off where it connects to the battery compartment. The glue is still drying and i'll be doing some paint and body work later i guess... it didn't even bend the gear, which is more than i can say for the eflite f16 70mm - the weakest gear out there i think. still fun to fly though - i'm better at landing that than the F5. I guess i just need more practice...
                        And we need better weather! Dang it.

Flying at a field with a 300' runway and trees is definitely a challenge but it makes us better pilots. Eventually!
                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

And we need better weather! Dang it.

Flying at a field with a 300' runway and trees is definitely a challenge but it makes us better pilots. Eventually!
                          indubitably... and more creative when it comes to getting planes out of the trees... #manlift 🤣

Comment

• Sure does............ Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue2.png
Views:	538
Size:	831.4 KB
ID:	344743

Comment

Sure does............ Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue2.png
Views:	538
Size:	831.4 KB
ID:	344743
                              bummer dude - at least it appears as though the gear is all still intact... 👍

Comment

• Plane was very repairable and flew again. Had another incident where I just lost orientation that required new fuselage but the old wings, tail feathers and electrics are all still flying.

Comment

• A great spring day at Deer Creek State Park. Maidened a new Flex F-100. Multiple flights on the trusty Flex Jet. Click image for larger version

Name:	B0CF0B89-E289-4113-8A29-073038C85DB2.jpeg
Views:	482
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	345096

Comment

• Oops! Think I put that on the wrong thread. Meant for “What did you fly today”.

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                      Oops! Think I put that on the wrong thread. Meant for “What did you fly today”.
                                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                        Oops! Think I put that on the wrong thread. Meant for “What did you fly today”.
                                        Nice looking Miss America in the background there..... had the Hanger 9 one with a 120 FS pulling..........boy it could move.

Comment

• Apologies for a post that is likely answered elsewhere in this thread but I’m posting from an iPhone and the search features don’t work too well in this format.

I direct my question to those with the 8S high performance version of the F-4. I have purchased all of the recommended components and batteries from Motion R/C.

According to the manual, the recommended center of gravity is 190mm or 7.5”. No matter how hard I try to shove things further back, I am still coming out nose heavy and the F-4 is balancing at 7.0” to 7.125”. I absolutely do not want to add more weight to this already heavy model unless it is absolutely necessary for successful flight. Obviously I’m worried about being able to flare for the landing.

Thoughts and recommendations or point me to the post(s) that address this issue. Please and thank-you.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X