Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +1 on the value of those reference pics. Totally agree that this 80mm has a rather 90mm size and that I love really, reminds me of the A-4 and the nearly same size as the Stinger 90mm.

Comment

• The comparison is always made between this L-39, which is supposed to be the scale version of the Avanti S, which I'm sure, many people have. It's not hard to look at the specs and easily visualize that the L-39 is a little less in wingspan and little more in length. For me, at least, a side by side picture, with or without people in the frame, is unnecessary as I already know what my Avanti looks like next to my other planes and next to other people. ;)

Comment

• I can snap some pictures of the L-39 next to an Avanti tomorrow or Sunday. The A-4 and Stinger 90, too.

When we first introduced the Freewing 80mm foam jet series five years ago, we had hoped to reach this point with balanced size/cost/performance but there were many challenges to be overcome along the way. Thanks to everyone for sticking with us while the series matured and proved its value in the marketplace. The Mirage v2's popularity shows the earlier models in the series still have appeal, while over the past 18 months the recent Avanti, A-4 and now L-39 show we're just hitting stride.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I remember not that long ago when people were thinking the 80mm didn't really have a place. That it was either 70mm or 90mm or nothing but it has definitely proven to be winning combination for many reasons. Good job!

Comment

• Those 80's have a lot of power. I love the 90 ans 105mm sizes. But where we fly, honestly, the 70's and 80's do better. The only exception so far to that has been the F-4 which handles our field with ease.
            As for me, I am transitioning to the 70-80mm range. The L-39 appears to have everything I want.
            Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
              Nice photos, Stuart and Bajora! Some of those will definitely make it on my poster wall.

My photos aren't as nice but hopefully they give us all a better sense of the L-39's size. For an 80mm bird with suspension struts and gear doors and LED lights, the L-39 dwarfs its older 80mm class brother the Mirage, and despite its much lower price tag it's very similarly sized to the 90mm powered F-16, T-45, F-4, F-15, etc. Here's a sample of Hoot's bang for the buck:

Both 80mm, and both 105mph+ on the same 6s 4000mAh lipo = Magic

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180914_160407.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	151562

The first 90mm Super Scale from 2013, the venerable F-16
              Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180914_155947.jpg Views:	3 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	151567

Battery space is not an issue on these generous canopied birds.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180914_160128.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	151564

Wider wingspan, lighter weight. You can guess how it flies, even compared to the popular performing 90mm F-4.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180914_160627.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	151563
              Well, I tried hard to resist.

But these photos showing how large it really is pushed me over the edge.

PNP ordered today!

One thing thats cool is that this jet is the same scale as my Freewing Hawk.

I can't wait!
              Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

• This is what the Freewing L-39 will look like when it is all grown up :)

A giant scale L-39 Albatros, variant "C" ("C" standing for "cvičný" - a trainer) presented by Tomahawk Design and pilot Marc Petrak is currently the biggest...

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                  Noted, thanks for the feedback Seaviper.

S.
                  Great job on the video Stuart! Keep up the good work! Finally another Taranis X9D flier...thought I was the only one. <S>
                  Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I can snap some pictures of the L-39 next to an Avanti tomorrow or Sunday. The A-4 and Stinger 90, too.

When we first introduced the Freewing 80mm foam jet series five years ago, we had hoped to reach this point with balanced size/cost/performance but there were many challenges to be overcome along the way. Thanks to everyone for sticking with us while the series matured and proved its value in the marketplace. The Mirage v2's popularity shows the earlier models in the series still have appeal, while over the past 18 months the recent Avanti, A-4 and now L-39 show we're just hitting stride.
                    Hey Alpha I can't believe how big the L-39 really is. Wow!!!! I have the 90mm F-16, T-45 and the F -4 and the L -39 is equal in size to be a 80mm. Alpha you are the MAN !!!!!! I don't care what Tom and Mark says about you.LOL You deserve a Great raise!!!!!! You got my vote !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drill Sergeant View Post

Hey Alpha I can't believe how big the L-39 really is. Wow!!!! I have the 90mm F-16, T-45 and the F -4 and the L -39 is equal in size to be a 80mm. Alpha you are the MAN !!!!!! I don't care what Tom and Mark says about you.LOL You deserve a Great raise!!!!!! You got my vote !!
                      That's what put me over the edge, those pictures did me in when I seen the size of it......preordered aaaaaahhhhh!!:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

That's what put me over the edge, those pictures did me in when I seen the size of it......preordered aaaaaahhhhh!!:Cool:
                        Did it for me too. I was on the fence until the pics. Just cannot get into the paint scheme. Its OK, but being a NAVY (Gooo Navy) family got to repaint to either of the 2

Click image for larger version

Name:	L39-4ship-fields1.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	151849Click image for larger version

Name:	31736_1153475799.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	151850

Comment

• Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post

Did it for me too. I was on the fence until the pics. Just cannot get into the paint scheme. Its OK, but being a NAVY (Gooo Navy) family got to repaint to either of the 2

Click image for larger version  Name:	L39-4ship-fields1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.3 KB ID:	151849Click image for larger version  Name:	31736_1153475799.jpg Views:	1 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	151850
                          That top pic is exactly the same gray L-39 I had in mind, just paint it gray and buy the FW F-14 decals to throw on it............:)

Comment

• Very nice model and if i buy it i will paint it like this.

Comment

• A couple of us here wear Breitlings so this Breitling scheme was among our favorites for the L-39. Be wary of the black paint in the sun, though.

Comment

A couple of us here wear Breitlings so this Breitling scheme was among our favorites for the L-39. Be wary of the black paint in the sun, though.
                                I love that paint scheme, but I won’t be painting anything in black paint on a foam plane unless it’s fiberglassed. LOL

Comment

• Nice watch ... But more of a Hamilton guy myself :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post
                                    Nice watch ... But more of a Hamilton guy myself :-)
                                    I like Hamiltons, too :) KPDD and X-Winds, especially!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6337.JPG Views:	1 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	151982Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6338.JPG Views:	1 Size:	114.4 KB ID:	151983

Comment

• Well according to my Breitling its time to post some more pictures ;) This time just want to touch on the aerobatic potential of the L-39. Now I'm only an average pilot, but found the L-39 to be as aerobatic as the Avanti and in knife edge, even dare I say a little better! This picture you see here was taken during only my second knife edge pass with the L-39, so steady is she in it that its instantly comfortable and with very little coupling needed.

That same confidence in the airframe allowed for some nice full speed and low passes too (photo with tanks is with flaps and very slow, without is full power speed pass). Slow passes are especially enjoyable as it gives all the more time to savor the moment, plus the punch out at the end is always impressive, as is the stability of the model at these very slow speeds. I've yet to have mine drop a wing. She's just as comfortable inverted too, needing little if any down stick to maintain.

More pictures to come this week, stay tuned.

S.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Freewing L-39 16.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	151988
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Freewing L-39 21.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	151989
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Freewing L-39 25.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	151990

Comment

• Low pass! I love a good low pass.

Following up on some of your requests and speaking of sport jets, here are size comparison photos of the L-39 next to the 90mm Stinger 90 and the Avanti. See a couple pages back for other size comparison photos with other jets.

​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180917_194332.png Views:	1 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	152001Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29320.png Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	152000
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2018-09-17-19-42-35.png Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	152002
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180917_202330.png
Views:	803
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	152006

Comment

• Looks great. I know some jets hold a bigger presence in the air as well. The l39 is similar to The stinger 90 sizewise and i bet the L39 in air holds a much much bigger presence.

Comment

Working...
                                          X