X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
    All done. Clear coat is on. Will get some shots of her at the TIA Fall Fly-in this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181018_130833.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	157022

Name:	IMG_20181018_130816.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	157023
    Nice job Steve!!! Looks cool!!! Hope for bright blue skies for ya'll!!

Comment

• yeah man you can program just about anything with the Taranis
      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
        Just to make sure you are in the right screen, you must enter the System Settings and select Aircraft Type. Then select Wing: 1 Ail 1Flap Tail: Normal
        After that, exit and go to the Function List and select Flap System and then use the setting I have above to get stated....
        I am at the field now but too much wind for a maiden. Just range checked it and taxi tested. When I get home I will try your method. Thanks!

Comment

• Awesome!!! Each pilot has a system, but I hope this helps you get the most out of the aircraft!!! Blessings J!!!

Comment

• Oh yeah! Im enjoying my horus x10 a ton as well, it basically just like the taranis, with just a few nice updates.

Comment

• I’m getting mine ready for the maiden but I wanted to ask what expo are you guys using?

Comment

• Expo is tough because it’s very subjective. Most often I use on average of roughly 20 percent Expo for my jets.

Comment

• Thanks T-CAT

Comment

• :Cool:Not a problem at all.

Comment

• anyone add a touch of weight to the tail for cg.. im using roaring top 5500 70c pack pushed to rear of bay and i found on the balance stand i needed ounce of lead at the tail....

Comment

• I try not to use expo on any plane unless absolutely necessary, and I usually only put it on rudder/steering. On my maiden, ailerons seemed too high per the book, so I dialed them back and the second and subsequent flights were much better. All other throws seemed to be spot on.
                        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiz1 View Post
                          I’m getting mine ready for the maiden but I wanted to ask what expo are you guys using?
                          I'd recommend using whatever Expo you've used on your other EDFs in this size range. If this is your first EDF, I'd recommend using whatever Expo you've used on your fastest prop plane.

It's also wise to program a three position switch for Aileron, and one for Elevator. Set factory throws on High, then reduce throw slightly for Medium, then reduce it further for Low. It's typical to slightly increase Expo as the throws decrease. Use this as a method to quickly toggle to different settings during your maiden to find the sweet spot for your flying style. If any setting is too high for you, no problem, just toggle to the lower setting. It's a Goldilocks affair. We all define "just right" differently, but overall the manual is a good starting point for High, then you create a reduced setting for Medium and Low. Land and repeat the process until you have the model dialed in to your preferences.

Example on my L-39, note these settings are my preference (High, position 0), and I also hand the radio to other test pilots with their preferences for different throw/expo relationship. Some of them fly Aileron at Low, position 2, and Elevator at either High position 0 or Low position 2.

Aileron (switch C on DX9)
                          0: 100% throw, 20% expo
                          1: 80% throw, 30% expo
                          2: 60% throw, 25% expo

Elevator (switch F on DX9)
                          0: 100% throw, 20% expo
                          1: 90% throw, 25% expo
                          2: 75% throw, 30% expo
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Great info. Thanks Alpha.:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                              Flap System

Pos 0: -90% Elev 0%
                              Pos 1: -40% Elev: 2%
                              Pos 2: 10% Elev: 5%
                              Switch: Switch D
                              Speed 6.0s

Pos 0 is Flaps Up.
                              I have them set at -90% so there are a few "clicks" (values) of adjustment left instead of setting full up at -100%.
                              So, I set the value at -90%, then adjusted the pushrod length to get the flaps into the correct "full up" position against the stops in the top surface of the wing.
                              Then the other settings are "Take Off" flaps (-40%) and "Landing" flaps 10%
                              There is no reverse on the channel and no sub trim and servo throw is set at 100%
                              Hope this helps. I flew the maiden and check flights at these setting and it worked perfectly for me, with the CG set at 103mm. Jerry
                              Took out all I did and followed your setup. Works and makes sense. I didn’t realize I could put in negative values into the Flap System. Using your values, I measure 11 and 24 mm flap throw while the manual calls out for 19 and 29 mm. Also, the Speed of 6 seems long but I literally know nothing about it. I greatly appreciate all the advice!

Comment

• The longer speed setting will reduce any quick lift you may get when you deploy the flaps . My settings are very similar to Hardways except I run a 3-second speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtconte View Post

Took out all I did and followed your setup. Works and makes sense. I didn’t realize I could put in negative values into the Flap System. Using your values, I measure 11 and 24 mm flap throw while the manual calls out for 19 and 29 mm. Also, the Speed of 6 seems long but I literally know nothing about it. I greatly appreciate all the advice!
                                  I just set the flaps up like my other jets. Just by eyeball measuring!!! LOL I know it worked OK since she is still in one piece!! HA!! Lots of folks don't like the six second delay. Most would say 2 or 3 seconds is too long... I use it because it is more "scale". There are always exceptions... Like a full scale Spitfire. Flaps are up or down, no in between and they just basically "dump" into position. On full scale jets, not so much!!! LOL Please adjust those values to match the manual if you like... But at least you have a starting point!!!! Glad it helped some!!! Jerry

Comment

• My old Futaba 7C radio doesn't have a delay option for the flaps, so I use the dial for flaps and it works great, does the same thing as you slowly roll it to full flaps, for those who don't like a delay might want to try a dial. I did get a chance to use a FrSky X10 and tried the delay, it was 3 seconds and have to say, I liked it. I set it up on a 3 position switch, looked really scale coming down really slow, actually might buy the X10, very nice radio.

Surprised you guys are using expo and all that on the L-39, of course I don't use expo or dual rates but the L-39 felt really locked in as it was.

Comment

• I have my L39 ready to Maiden this weekend with my Morgan Machine battery try installed, this is actually a modified Avanti tray I am meeting up with Gary next week to give him the specs so he can make them proper if people are interested. Cg's in slot 5 with 5000 and slot 3 with 4000.

Comment

• Some out of doors shots after completing the repaint. I will be flying her at the TIA Fall Fly-in this weekend.

Name:	Image_3445.png
Views:	773
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	157154

Name:	Image_5839.png
Views:	749
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	157155

Name:	Image_5756.png