Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, pardon the reply if this is not the right thread; I'm new here. I just bought a Freewing F-22 Raptor 90 mm; I have a Futaba, T16IZ Transmitter, and a Futaba RS7108SB receiver, I am having a tough time setting this guy up, lots of wires. Any videos or step-by-step setup?

Comment

• my Starscream version..
      Attached Files
      Badan Kit - Yak55M 2.8m; EF - Extra 300 2.3m; Multiplex - Funcub;Funjet Ultra2;Parkmaster;FW - F22 90-X45 Xicoy;ROBBE MISTRAL 2.0

Comment

• Odd experience today. My benchmark series adapter seemed to arc on me below the shrink wrap. Running admiral 6s 5000 50c, along with an admiral 2s 5000 60c. Any insight?
        The arc only happened after plugging into the aircraft.
        thank you
        Drew

Comment

• Correct me if I understood you incorrectly: the arcing happened when the model was already powered on?
          In that case, I would not trust that series adapter anymore. It would mean that somehow the contact was open circuit for a moment, than closed again, causing an arcing.
          If the arcing happened while connecting the battery, that would be normal if you haven't used so-called anti-spark connectors.

Comment

• Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post
            Correct me if I understood you incorrectly: the arcing happened when the model was already powered on?
            In that case, I would not trust that series adapter anymore. It would mean that somehow the contact was open circuit for a moment, than closed again, causing an arcing.
            If the arcing happened while connecting the battery, that would be normal if you haven't used so-called anti-spark connectors.
            Exactly! for 6 or 8 s always must use an anti spark connectors!!
            Badan Kit - Yak55M 2.8m; EF - Extra 300 2.3m; Multiplex - Funcub;Funjet Ultra2;Parkmaster;FW - F22 90-X45 Xicoy;ROBBE MISTRAL 2.0

Comment

• No. First there are many ESCs that have built in anti spark so you don't need an additional one. Also many jets like this one have a built in anti spark external to the ESC. Additionally, "must" as you used is deceiving, you simply do not have to use one. Does it reduce or eliminate the spark in high voltage systems and reduce the wear on connects, yes it usually does, but it is not mandatory by any means. Also, 6S is the grey area where it's not as helpful as on 8, 10, 12 or more.

But all that said I'm not sure that was Drews issue. As Hanger Queen pointed out I think the issue is something else, a bad series connector, mismatched sizes of connectors, a bad solder or crimp joint, something else...

Originally posted by Oachidori View Post

Exactly! for 6 or 8 s always must use an anti spark connectors!!

Comment

Correct me if I understood you incorrectly: the arcing happened when the model was already powered on?
                So the spark occurred after plugging the series connector into the jet with both batteries already connected to the series connector.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  No. First there are many ESCs that have built in anti spark so you don't need an additional one. Also many jets like this one have a built in anti spark external to the ESC. Additionally, "must" as you used is deceiving, you simply do not have to use one. Does it reduce or eliminate the spark in high voltage systems and reduce the wear on connects, yes it usually does, but it is not mandatory by any means. Also, 6S is the grey area where it's not as helpful as on 8, 10, 12 or more.

But all that said I'm not sure that was Drews issue. As Hanger Queen pointed out I think the issue is something else, a bad series connector, mismatched sizes of connectors, a bad solder or crimp joint, something else...

I have another series connector that I’m going to give it a try with. Hopefully a bad connector is the issue.

Comment

• With the old adapter, just for testing, try if you can reproduce the problem by manipulating it, stressing it mechanically, and see if it happens again. Then you'll know for sure that it was the adapter.
                    Then I would try the same exercise with the new one, if just to see if it suffers from the same problem.
                    If you have the soldering equipment, or know someone who does, I would suggest to solder your own adapter. I've had adapters like that come apart in my hands, years ago. The solderings were extremely poor, and broke apart at the least mechanical force applied to it. I've soldered them myself ever since.

Comment

• Comment

With the old adapter, just for testing, try if you can reproduce the problem by manipulating it, stressing it mechanically, and see if it happens again. Then you'll know for sure that it was the adapter.
                        Then I would try the same exercise with the new one, if just to see if it suffers from the same problem.
                        If you have the soldering equipment, or know someone who does, I would suggest to solder your own adapter. I've had adapters like that come apart in my hands, years ago. The solderings were extremely poor, and broke apart at the least mechanical force applied to it. I've soldered them myself ever since.
                        I do have soldering equipment, and good points on doing a stress test on the adapter(s). Posted some pictures of the current culprit adapter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drewmb88 View Post

I have another series connector that I’m going to give it a try with. Hopefully a bad connector is the issue.
                          Watch out using those series connectors, I had one fail on my Roban 700 Apache heli before a flight, I heard something pop and decided to investigate the issue, turns out it was the series connector, I will never use one again after seeing the soldering job on it, very very little solder if any and I'm running 12S, but even on 6S I wouldn't use one, I had two and destroyed both of them to see how they are made and no way would I ever use one again, I don't use any anti spark connectors on my 12S system in my HSD T-33 Jet or any of my 800 size scale helis, they are all 12S, only use EC5 connectors as well with not one issue so far, anti spark connectors are not always needed like Evan posted. I now make my own connectors.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Watch out using those series connectors, I had one fail on my Roban 700 Apache heli before a flight, I heard something pop and decided to investigate the issue, turns out it was the series connector, I will never use one again after seeing the soldering job on it, very very little solder if any and I'm running 12S, but even on 6S I wouldn't use one, I had two and destroyed both of them to see how they are made and no way would I ever use one again, I don't use any anti spark connectors on my 12S system in my HSD T-33 Jet or any of my 800 size scale helis, they are all 12S, only use EC5 connectors as well with not one issue so far, anti spark connectors are not always needed like Evan posted. I now make my own connectors.
                            Are you building your own connectors?

Comment

Are you building your own connectors?
                              Yes sir, I do make my own connectors now.

Comment

Sounds like this is the best option, I appreciate all the feedback!

Comment

This is the only kind I use and make myself, straight from the ESC or if I need it to be separate, all ran on 12S with EC5 connectors and 10 gauge wire.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

This is the only kind I use and make myself, straight from the ESC or if I need it to be separate, all ran on 12S with EC5 connectors and 10 gauge wire.
                                    Perfect! This is essentially what I had in my head too, and good to know on the 10g wire too.

thank you much!

Comment

Perfect! This is essentially what I had in my head too, and good to know on the 10g wire too.

thank you much!

Comment

• F-22 Thrust Vectoring 3D printed plates with control horn for the elevator connection setup, NOT the 2 servo setup. (photo below)

I have looked high & low for the stl file or the person selling them. Steve Hodges and RC Jet Dude names keep coming up.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

• After getting many requests, know that my F-22 setup video is finally in the works! :D
                                          But in the meantime, here's something else that may prove useful ( :​

Comment

Working...
                                          X