Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use FoamTac in those grub screw holes.

Comment

• Might try that too.....

Comment

• Comment

• Any tips on how to wire an extension lead through the wing to the blue box?

Tried a coat hanger but doesn’t get round the tight bends.

Comment

• Two ways. Tie a string to the ribbon cable when you pull it through. If you already pulled it through, set the plane on its nose, tail up. Tie a small nut to some string and put it in the wing opening. It'll fall down to a spot on the inside of the battery compartment side where you can get it.

Comment

• if I could know the exhaust size of the foamie as I would like to modify with an outlet similar to this: (pic) there are several sizes 80mm, 90mm, 70mm and a 64/72mm?

Comment

• Originally posted by lrsd18Abn View Post
                if I could know the exhaust size of the foamie as I would like to modify with an outlet similar to this: (pic) there are several sizes 80mm, 90mm, 70mm and a 64/72mm?
                You're putting a round attachment onto a "squarish" outlet - two, in fact. Any answer would be a guess. Do you have the plane in your possession? It would be a matter of doing some rough estimates to A) see if two of these vector nozzles can be adapted to the twin outlets and B) roughly calculate the square area of the narrowest part of each outlet and the square area of your vector nozzles. This would allow you to guesstimate if the nozzles will fit where you want them and also to calculate if the passageway going through the nozzles will be about the same as what's stock. It's a 90mm EDF pushing air out twin outlets. Roughly calculate what the square area is of those two outlets at the narrowest part. It's going to be part of a circle and part of a square on each side, so X2. I'm sure you can Google the equation for the area of a circle and the area of a square. Then do same with the nozzles. The airflow through a squarish passageway will not be exactly the same as what goes through a similarly sized round one, but this will give you a good approximation of what you're dealing with.
                As far as I can recall, the old 90mm Eurofighter is the closest approximation to what you are trying to do. Those nozzles were the same size as what came on twin 70mm EDF jets like the SU-35 and SebArt MiG29. I don't recall seeing vector nozzles of other sizes, but I never looked that hard.
                PS. I'm not so sure that twin nozzles grafted onto the end of this plane will have sufficient movement in all the desired directions. If you are planning to install a single vector nozzles, that will also be an interesting proposition. Of course, a single outlet does not have to be the same square area as twin outlets. A single large outlet will function as good as small twin outlets totalling the same square area.

Comment

• The F-22 exhausts are 30x70mm, 4200sq/mm for the two. Remember that going from a single fan to two (even worse for square outlets) outlets, bifurcated, reduces your efflux. Then you have the two TV's which additionally reduce your efflux. XViper talked about the Eurofighter (and F-18) TV's. The outlet diameter on those are 61.5mm 2969x2 or 5938sq/mm.

I really like the TVs I did. If there was a decent way to add yaw I would but it would make an already inefficient system even less efficient.

I hope you do try something and post your results. I'm not sure but I think when they label something a size, say 90mm, they mean it's for a 90mm size fan and not that it's the inside diameter of the TV unit. The 80mm ones on my Gripen and Mig are 68.5.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    I really like the TVs I did. If there was a decent way to add yaw I would but it would make an already inefficient system even less efficient.
                    The way you did it was the best way. It didn't ruin the look of the plane and mimicked the way real F-22 would do it.

Comment

• Thank you!

Comment

• Has anybody painted their F-22 in a different paint scheme ? Would love to see some pictures of this if available ?

Comment

• Top right of page filter....photos. Probably get more returns from the rc groups page.

Comment

• Originally posted by PatrickVn View Post
                            Has anybody painted their F-22 in a different paint scheme ? Would love to see some pictures of this if available ?
                            These are decals that I inkjet printed. The problem with the inkjet of course is that has faded slightly. I’m going to be redoing it at some point using a laser printer. Just used white decal paper. I also have a huge American flag on the bottom of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EFF9908D-41EF-49AF-AA30-96D98C3A8E3C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	362006

Comment

• I’m sure this has been discussed, but I haven’t been able to find it. I have the 8s version of the F 22. And it’s fast, but also heavy given that I am using 6000 packs and even a pair of 7000s. I want to upgrade it so it runs on 10s or even 12s. My consideration right now is if I replace the speed control, can I get away with the stock fan and motor? From what I’m reading, I think I can. Motion says the components are only rated for eight. Obviously. It has the 150 amp speed control, but it will not run on 10s. Must be some sort of overvoltage protection. It turns on and you have control of the surfaces, but it will not throttle up. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by SDW2001 View Post

these are final decals that I inkjet printed. The problem with the injured of course is that has faded slightly. I’m going to be redoing it at some point using laser printer. Just used white decal paper. I also have a huge American flag on the bottom of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EFF9908D-41EF-49AF-AA30-96D98C3A8E3C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	362006
                                That looks very good :-) I'm thinking of a repaint job in the style of the F-16 Thunderbirds on top and maybe the American Flag on the bottom would be a good match to this.

Comment

• There is a BEC that is powering your plane and separately the ESC that will power the motor. I've never done it because it's stupid to think things will not smoke when you apply more voltage than they are rated at but it sounds like the BEC survived the voltage.

Buy the proper components if you want to go more than 8S. It'll cost you about the same as the plane cost you to start.

Originally posted by SDW2001 View Post
                                  I’m sure this has been discussed, but I haven’t been able to find it. I have the 8s version of the F 22. And it’s fast, but also heavy given that I am using 6000 packs and even a pair of 7000s. I want to upgrade it so it runs on 10s or even 12s. My consideration right now is if I replace the speed control, can I get away with the stock fan and motor? From what I’m reading, I think I can. Motion says the components are only rated for eight. Obviously. It has the 150 amp speed control, but it will not run on 10s. Must be some sort of overvoltage protection. It turns on and you have control of the surfaces, but it will not throttle up. Thoughts?

Comment

There is a BEC that is powering your plane and separately the ESC that will power the motor. I've never done it because it's stupid to think things will not smoke when you apply more voltage than they are rated at but it sounds like the BEC survived the voltage.

Buy the proper components if you want to go more than 8S. It'll cost you about the same as the plane cost you to start.

I know about the BEC. That increase in voltage shouldn’t be a problem from my understanding. It was also plugged in for an extremely small amount of time. My initial thinking was that the 150 amp speed control could handle it, but as I said it’s obviously got a protection in there. In talking with some guys at my club, I think the motor and fan wouldn’t be a problem. What are your thoughts specifically on the motor and fan being able to handle it?

Comment

• No, it won't handle it. You don't understand electronics. Plug a 110V house hold item into a 220 outlet "for an extremely small amount of time" and see what happens. If you are lucky the item has a replaceable fuse.... An ESC doesn't. If it still works you got lucky, that's all.

And no, it won't work just limiting the amount of throttle you apply either.

Comment

No, it won't handle it. You don't understand electronics. Plug a 110V house hold item into a 220 outlet "for an extremely small amount of time" and see what happens. If you are lucky the item has a replaceable fuse.... An ESC doesn't. If it still works you got lucky, that's all.

And no, it won't work just limiting the amount of throttle you apply either.
                                        You know, I put aside what I perceived as your tone on the last post. I don’t appreciate it now. I am trying to gather information from several sources. By the way, I have several reputable and knowledgeable sources in the hobby who disagree with you. One thinks it won’t be a problem. Another thinks it will heat up the motor and things will feel hot, but it probably won’t burn up. Then I have opinions like yours. If you’re strong opinion is that it will not handle it, I thank you for that, as it was the direction I was leaning towards after speaking to some highly experienced people today (one of whom is an electrician, FYI). The comment about “not understanding electronics” is unnecessary, and-hominem, and not appreciated. I hope you don’t talk to people at your local club like that when they seek out advice.

edit: By the way, you suggesting that going from 8S to 10s is like 110v/220v makes me question YOUR understanding of electronics.

Comment

• Fair enough, good luck with your plane, the F-22 is a great flying airplane.

Comment

Working...
                                          X