Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Our F-22 is reviewed in this months AMA magazine. Not much of a review mostly an advertisement. The reviewer says it takes an hour to build. Sure. I spent an hour just setting up the throws and expo. Whatever.

Comment

• Mine took about an hour to build but that wasn't including the electronic/radio setup like you mentioned. I think reviews like this are talking about assembly time, not from box to takeoff roll ready time FWIW.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• And not doing any mods or Loctite and checking things the manufacturer put together. Took me a couple days...

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

These are the formation light kits provided by Jeremy Solt. They include the lights in the verticle stabs, the wingtips and just below the cockpit. You have to assemble them, solder all the connections, and cut them into the various positions. It takes some time but very cool. My shot was too close...they look better from a distance plus I haven't cleaned up the edges yet. Still a work in progress.
            I have all of the same mods to do and parts on mine. Everything is in a tray ready to be installed. I’ve been flying mine as much as I can though, and finishing up other airplanes. I have the slime lights, and this past week I received the gear door assembly, the hubs, and the nose gear light mount. I did all the small stuff like pitots, F-16 nose wheel, and the centerburner before I flew it. It’s probably the most stable EDF that I own. The F-86 is the closest plane I have to compare to as far as stability and overall ease of flying.

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post

I have all of the same mods to do and parts on mine. Everything is in a tray ready to be installed. I’ve been flying mine as much as I can though, and finishing up other airplanes. I have the slime lights, and this past week I received the gear door assembly, the hubs, and the nose gear light mount. I did all the small stuff like pitots, F-16 nose wheel, and the centerburner before I flew it. It’s probably the most stable EDF that I own. The F-86 is the closest plane I have to compare to as far as stability and overall ease of flying.
              That's good to hear about the stability. The weather here is too crappy to fly this time of year so that's why I'm doing the mods now. BTW Jeremy's videos are great but here's a little tip I used for carving out the foam for the light frames to sit in. I didn't like the idea of sticking a dremel tool in that little narrow foam canyon (picture Luke in the xwing fighter down the canyon of the death star) and chancing putting my signature in the wing.(old hands) :Scared:So I got a couple of #17 exacto blades from the local arts&crafts....,no hobby shops here, and after doing the angled cuts on each side like in the video, I used the blade like an upside down chisel to clean the rest of the foam out. It would be better if the blade was bent a little to get a better angle but they just snap if you try bending them. So you have to go in short sections and cut the foam out as you go or you will get too deep. Also there is a carbon rod going through the upper part of the verticle stab to deal with. I cut through that with a fine zona saw very carefully. I would also recommend doing all the work on the verticle stab with it out of the plane and laying on a towel or some foam to avoid beating it up. Good luck.:Cool:

Comment

• Took mine out an hour ago...A bit windy and almost didn't fly but the gusts were pretty intermittent. Handled it like a champ. It was pretty rocky in spots (and that's where a gyro would help tremendously) but all-in-all just fine. Strong head wind so hit the approach without flaps. Landed as smooth as a baby's tush. Love this jet! Love the centerburner, man that looks cool even in daylight!

:Cool:
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190302_165739.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	182562Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190302_165825.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	182563 O.K. sorry for the pic flood but I was on a roll today. These show my new little addition. A piece of 1/8" dowel cut on a 45 degree angle at both ends with some reflective art sheet glued to the end facing the HUD. This piece is glued to the "dash" to reflect the led through the HUD screen to be visible from the front like the real deal. I used the foam tac adhesive so I could monkey around with it to get the reflection aimed dead center to the front. Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190302_165944.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	182564Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190302_170134.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	182565Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190302_170331.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.4 KB ID:	182566 O.K. these are with the led turned on during the aiming process. I fussed with it for awhile to get it straight down the nose. Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190302_170404.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.7 KB ID:	182568 And this is what you see after the canopy is in place(just laying there). Don't know if you'll see it from the air but for sure taxiing. Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190302_170436.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	182569Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190302_170512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	182570 Here's the 1/8" dowel, the reflective art paper, and the #17 exacto blade mentioned earlier. Hope that is some help. I look forward to the improvements that other more creative people will build off of this but ya' gotta' start somewhere.:Cool:Also, I've got a ton of the reflective art sheet and the LUD screen material laying around if anyone wants to try their hand.

Comment

That's good to hear about the stability. The weather here is too crappy to fly this time of year so that's why I'm doing the mods now. BTW Jeremy's videos are great but here's a little tip I used for carving out the foam for the light frames to sit in. I didn't like the idea of sticking a dremel tool in that little narrow foam canyon (picture Luke in the xwing fighter down the canyon of the death star) and chancing putting my signature in the wing.(old hands) :Scared:So I got a couple of #17 exacto blades from the local arts&crafts....,no hobby shops here, and after doing the angled cuts on each side like in the video, I used the blade like an upside down chisel to clean the rest of the foam out. It would be better if the blade was bent a little to get a better angle but they just snap if you try bending them. So you have to go in short sections and cut the foam out as you go or you will get too deep. Also there is a carbon rod going through the upper part of the verticle stab to deal with. I cut through that with a fine zona saw very carefully. I would also recommend doing all the work on the verticle stab with it out of the plane and laying on a towel or some foam to avoid beating it up. Good luck.:Cool:
                    Awesome! Will do. I always appreciate good advice.
                    You did a great job on yours. I can’t wait to get everything done. The more work I do on planes, the more nervous I am to fly it haha. I have a 20cc Gas powered P-51 that has been ready to fly for a good 2 years. It’s never left my driveway

Comment

Awesome! Will do. I always appreciate good advice.
                      You did a great job on yours. I can’t wait to get everything done. The more work I do on planes, the more nervous I am to fly it haha. I have a 20cc Gas powered P-51 that has been ready to fly for a good 2 years. It’s never left my driveway haha
                      I am so there about the nervousness. It's called emotional torque! The more time you have in a plane, the more likely it is to crash!:Scared: I have a Yellow Aircraft P-38 on it's way to being shipped from the east coast to me in another couple of months.(check out the Yellow Aircraft P-38 rebirth and conversion thread on RC Groups) This plane might be the death of me....or my wallet.LOLAros is going to have a similar problem as in an awesome ESM Corsair. (The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat);)

Comment

• "emotional torque" ... What a nicer term than what I use - - "pucker factor"

LOL
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                          "emotional torque" ... What a nicer term than what I use - - "pucker factor"

LOL
                          Both terms work Alpha and convey the feeling but if there was no stress or anxiety or challenge, this hobby wouldn't be any fun when it comes right down to it.;)

Comment

I am so there about the nervousness. It's called emotional torque! The more time you have in a plane, the more likely it is to crash!:Scared: I have a Yellow Aircraft P-38 on it's way to being shipped from the east coast to me in another couple of months.(check out the Yellow Aircraft P-38 rebirth and conversion thread on RC Groups) This plane might be the death of me....or my wallet.LOLAros is going to have a similar problem as in an awesome ESM Corsair. (The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat);)
                            Brad, I'm glad you got your camera working as the photos are super and your Raptor is looking great- love the "slime" lights!
                            I too am a nervous flier and as you say the nerves are directly proportional to the time (and money) a model represents in the air. I suppose it would be better to leave everything bone stock but of course people like us just can't do that.
                            Funny, in my 20's I road-raced motorcycles professionally and now, in my 60's, can get just as nervous standing on the flight line as I got then waiting on the start line. Silly, as of course the consequences of a crash are far different...
                            Guess we just have to stay calm and fly the airplane!:Cool:
                            Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
                              Our F-22 is reviewed in this months AMA magazine. Not much of a review mostly an advertisement. The reviewer says it takes an hour to build. Sure. I spent an hour just setting up the throws and expo. Whatever.
                              Thanks for the comment. It is easy to be critical of others hard work. Every product review is simply one persons experience and opinions on said product. Period. It is not absolute gospel. What you read was my experience and opinion. Your mileage and experience will vary ... guaranteed. Because we are all unique and have different opinions and skill sets and experience levels. If I had included my radio setup time, then it would have been longer than an hour and I would have reworded my sentence to indicate that. But that is not what I wrote, is it? An individual who is adept at programming his transmitter can probably bang through a new model in a few minutes. One who is less proficient or new to the programming of a transmitter will take much longer. So again, not absolute. User experience level dependent.

If you think you have what it takes to write about YOUR experience with a product and appropriately document it with media, both stills and video, please do reach out to the Editor of Model Aviation magazine. He is always looking for new contributors. ;) Enjoy your F-22. I personally think it is a fantastic EDF jet. Since you appear to be local to me, perhaps we can get together and fly sometime? I am pretty sure we would enjoy hangin' out together since we both have a passion for the hobby. :)

Comment

• Since it was mentioned ... :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                  "emotional torque" ... What a nicer term than what I use - - "pucker factor"

LOL
                                  BTW Alpha, the reverse of that is called "kinematic ugliness" where your plane is so ugly it just won't crash. I knew a guy years ago who had a really ugly plane, he said he even quit charging the battery and it still wouldn't crash!LOLLOLLOL Decades ago there was a magazine called Model Builder and in it was a byline called Dear Jake advise for the prop worn. I have to give Jake credit for those two terms. Also, Bajora, it looks like a great article from what I can see. I'm no longer a member of the AMA so I don't get the magazine.:Don't-tell-Anyone:

Comment

Those Yellow P-38’s are awesome :Cool:

Comment

Those Yellow P-38’s are awesome :Cool:
                                      Yes, and I have been devising an elaborate plan to steal Brad's in the wee hours of some misty morning in Friday Harbor. LOL LOL

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Landing gear tires: Have you all had problems with the tires on this model? They seem to be made out of some soft foam that deforms after a few landings and then becomes "bumpy". This is not rubber like it should be. Any ideas what to use as replacement wheels?

Comment

These are the formation light kits provided by Jeremy Solt. They include the lights in the verticle stabs, the wingtips and just below the cockpit. You have to assemble them, solder all the connections, and cut them into the various positions. It takes some time but very cool. My shot was too close...they look better from a distance plus I haven't cleaned up the edges yet. Still a work in progress.
                                          Sorry for the dumb question, but can you give us the link for Jeremy Solt's products? Or does he not make these for sale.
                                          Thanks
                                          Rich

Comment

Working...
                                          X