Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I forgot to post his, but it will knife edge all day long, HOWEVER!!!! DO NOT give it full rudder deflection on a port or starboard knife edge!! It does a snap roll that will make a 40% Extra jealous!!! Just wow!!!!!! ;)

Comment

• Violent and abrupt are good adjectives to describe her...…….

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...up-cockpit-set I know of a company that sells those things..... ;)LOLLOL
        Ah geez, I had the Corsair on my brain when I was typing that... LOL :Silly:

My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Yeah Todd, just pm me your mailing address and I can throw a couple pieces in an envelope. I'll send enough for a do over cause there are some fitting issues. I'll throw in a rough pattern too. BTW these pieces are made of something like lexan and they have a protective backing to peel off both sides before you install them. Also you will notice ,if you look closely at the HUD frame, on the two side ears of the frame, there are little bumps that need to be trimmed off with an exacto knife before painting. Don't know what the bumps were for but they wont let the lexan sit flat on the ears. Ask me how I know.:)
          Thanks buddy!
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Which pilot was the most popular to upgrade for those customizing their cockpits?
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
              Which pilot was the most popular to upgrade for those customizing their cockpits?

Frankly speaking, your Pilots are very poor examples. The first thing I do when I get a FW Jet, is hack the Dude out of there, except on the FW F-22, I left him in and painted the Canopy Gold so I wouldn't have to look at him. There have been some really good renderings that have come and gone over the years. Don't you think it's about time for FreeWing to look into finding a vendor for a proper group of Pilot Figures ?? I mean ,..Really ? Simply stated, Offering a canopy on a jet that is Too Dark (F-16C // F-22) and then offering aftermarket parts to upgrade something that you can't even see is silly to me. If a ScaleLike Cockpit is being offered, then I would expect a ScaleLike Pilot figure to be part of that feature.

And I find this business of farming out Aftermarket Items on these Jets a bit of a put-off as well. For the money we're spending on some of these, it would be great if most of the 'Upgrade' items that many are doing on their own, were offered as standard equipment.

There will always be room for improvements, and the 3DP Guys and the ABurner Guys will always have work, even if the factory has generated something that is acceptable to all but the most discriminating few, others will want a little extra and are willing I'm sure to pay for it.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Having a bad day? Sheesh, I was just asking as a fellow RC pilot what good options there are for custom pilots, not a manifesto on why you think Freewing's stock ones suck. LOL ;)

I know that Freewing has been watching/listening carefully when it comes to the 3DPUP interest. Clearly it's there and I personally believe they will begin to make that more of a regular segment as upgrade parts down the road. No, I don't have a timeline, that would be something for Alpha to chime in about. I agree, stock pilots - for ANY manufacturer no matter how good - have always been an afterthought. The focus is clearly on the profile, performance, etc. of the aircraft itself. These "After Market" segments have become more-and-more popular in recent years when it comes to foamies. While there has been mild improvement since the days of FMS' "Goofy", the effort is there to focus more on the cockpit themselves. The day will come, I am convinced, that we will be "ooooh-ing and aaahhh-ing" the stock cockpits and pilots with little to no mods required. That day is not here yet but there are signs that they are paying attention to the importance some of us scale geeks place on the cockpit section, hence these 3DPUP files and upgrade parts.
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hahahaha, Having a great day actually !! I got my AN/AVQ-10 Pod Done for the FW F-4 !! Sadly, the F-4 Cockpits remain Pilotless. GL on your pilot quest. Early RC Lander's had to be the worst ever !

Comment

Which pilot was the most popular to upgrade for those customizing their cockpits?
                    The 1/12 guy from JHH is the only readily available figure I know of. He's done pretty well but is only a bust, so I added the rest of him... Their 1/10 full figure (does that sound wrong?) is good in the A-10. I thought the Venom pilot was fine just as he was, but things have gone downhill since. Come to think of it, the guys in the F-4 look ok from what I've seen, though I don't (yet) have one.
                    Tom

Comment

• BTW here's the two colors of the lexan sheet I used for the HUD screen. As you can see, those two colors together look pretty close to the real deal. There is a pic of the little cardboard pattern I used to "get close". The material is thin enough to cut with a decent pair of scissors. For the light I used a green nav light I stripped out of an old carcass pointed up from bottom behind the instrument panel like Tom did except I pointed mine straight up to not only back light the panel but shine through a hole in the "dash" to light the HUD screen. I may try adding a tiny mirror at the base of the "dash" to reflect the light through the screen and forward. Hope this will look more like the real deal as I'm sure many have noticed that laser like green light visible as the real plane flies toward the camera.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogo View Post

The 1/12 guy from JHH is the only readily available figure I know of. He's done pretty well but is only a bust, so I added the rest of him... Their 1/10 full figure (does that sound wrong?) is good in the A-10. I thought the Venom pilot was fine just as he was, but things have gone downhill since. Come to think of it, the guys in the F-4 look ok from what I've seen, though I don't (yet) have one.
                        Tom
                        Thanks Tom!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

BTW here's the two colors of the lexan sheet I used for the HUD screen. As you can see, those two colors together look pretty close to the real deal. There is a pic of the little cardboard pattern I used to "get close". The material is thin enough to cut with a decent pair of scissors. For the light I used a green nav light I stripped out of an old carcass pointed up from bottom behind the instrument panel like Tom did except I pointed mine straight up to not only back light the panel but shine through a hole in the "dash" to light the HUD screen. I may try adding a tiny mirror at the base of the "dash" to reflect the light through the screen and forward. Hope this will look more like the real deal as I'm sure many have noticed that laser like green light visible as the real plane flies toward the camera.
                          I like it Brad! Your nav light trick sounds sort of what I did for my HSD F-16...Nothing radical in the way of scale detail, I just liked seeing it lit up when the battery was plugged in. LOL

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                            I forgot to post his, but it will knife edge all day long, HOWEVER!!!! DO NOT give it full rudder deflection on a port or starboard knife edge!! It does a snap roll that will make a 40% Extra jealous!!! Just wow!!!!!! ;)
                            Been there done that. Check out around 1:10 in this video https://youtu.be/f5ZX3K_IQP0

My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

I like it Brad! Your nav light trick sounds sort of what I did for my HSD F-16...Nothing radical in the way of scale detail, I just liked seeing it lit up when the battery was plugged in. LOL
                              Great minds.;)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_36508.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	182390Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190301_183328.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	182387Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20190301_183352.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.5 KB ID:	182389 O.K. put a piece of cardboard down between the led and instrument panel to calm the light down and carved out the verticle "tunnel" up to the main console so the HUD and other panels wouldn't be blown out. Added a pic of the formation lights but still no nav lights or video 'til I get the new blue box.:Straight-Face:

Comment

[ O.K. put a piece of cardboard down between the led and instrument panel to calm the light down and carved out the verticle "tunnel" up to the main console so the HUD and other panels wouldn't be blown out. Added a pic of the formation lights but still no nav lights or video 'til I get the new blue box.:Straight-Face:
                                  Hey DL

did you already share your light setup? Just wondering if you have installed LEDs in the verticals or are these the chemical lights stuffed in the slot under plastic lens.

Rich

Comment

• How can it KE without rudder? I'll have to play with that some more. When I got those snaps and rolls out of the rudder yesterday I backed off big time. Maybe I was just over controlling. It does nice point rolls with no rudder input though.
                                    I flew mine a bunch more today. Getting much more comfortable with the way it flies and "exploring the envelope". Cool jet, it reminds me of my F-16 the more I fly it. I'm finding mine to be pretty hard on batteries though, it's the 6s and I have my timer set to 3 1/2 min. So I'm usually throwing the gear out and landing when it goes off. My 5000 packs are coming down around 20% my 6200 packs around 30%. I put an old beater pack in for a last flight and it touched down at 3 1/2 with 8%, too close for comfort. Oh well, there's a guy on at my field who is flying his for almost 7 minutes on 6s 6200. Same performance and similar routines. Now I realize how amazing his hand made fan is! It's made with a FW shroud, FMS fan, Leopard 1900 kv inrunner, and handmade spinner. There is a great You Tube video of it in action.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

Hey DL

did you already share your light setup? Just wondering if you have installed LEDs in the verticals or are these the chemical lights stuffed in the slot under plastic lens.

Rich
                                      These are the formation light kits provided by Jeremy Solt. They include the lights in the verticle stabs, the wingtips and just below the cockpit. You have to assemble them, solder all the connections, and cut them into the various positions. It takes some time but very cool. My shot was too close...they look better from a distance plus I haven't cleaned up the edges yet. Still a work in progress.

Comment

• Looks great Brad!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Started the assembly of the Raptor today. Besides the already discussed "streamlining parts" I designed a 3D printed cover for the ESC to improve the airflow a bit more. In case anyone is interested, let me know, and I will share the file in the 3DP thread. An afterburner light has been installed as well, it's a German design drawing the power from the flight battery. No need to mess with an extra battery.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X