Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope the FAA Inspector has good eyesight. ;)
    Pat

Comment

• Dear members,

We're writing to let you know the FAA issued an Interim Final Rule today that will require drone pilots and model aircraft pilots to display their FAA-issued registration number on the outside surface of their aircraft. The rule will take effect on Monday, February 25, which means the markings must be in place for any outdoor flight beginning on that date.

Although most AMA members already have their FAA registration number posted on the outside of their aircraft, AMA will be submitting comments to the FAA requesting a waiver process for those who might be burdened by external markings, such as members who fly scale replica model aircraft. Most importantly, this rule does not change the original acceptable methods of external marking, nor does it specify a particular external surface on which the registration number must be placed. The requirement is simply that the registration number must be seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft's exterior.

As you know, the registration requirement is not new. Congress reinstated this requirement in December 2017 with the passage of the National Defense Authorization Act. Although this rule was flexible and allowed the registration marking to be placed in an enclosed compartment, law enforcement officials and FAA partners have expressed concerns about the safety risks a concealed explosive device could pose to first responders when opening a compartment to find a registration number.

If you would like to submit your own comment on the Interim Final Rule, simply visit www.regulations.gov and search for "RIN 2120-AL32." You can also visit www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93045 to learn more. The deadline for public comment ends on March 15, 2019.

If you are uncertain if you have a valid FAA registration, you can access your FAA account at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#. This site will allow you to view your personal FAA registration number and expiration date. We strongly advise you to avoid registering your model aircraft anywhere other than the official FAA website. If you register under Section 336, there is a $5 fee for a three-year registration, and hobbyists receive one identification number for all of their aircraft. Please be aware of unofficial registration websites that charge exorbitant fees or require separate registration fees for each recreational aircraft.

We continue to work closely with the FAA to determine the best path forward regarding recreational UAS operating requirements. As always, thank you for your continued support, and please reach out with any questions.

Thank you,
      AMA Government Affairs

Comment

• This is unacceptable... A bad guy is not going to register his "flying bomb" with the FAA.... It is just not going to happen. Just a feel good law for the FAA to make them feel like they are combating the idiots who buy drones at Best Buy and fly them in the flight path of airliners!!! :Angry::Angry::Angry: They didn't have to learn to fly or understand the consequences of doing it wrong!! Pisses me off!!! :Straight-Face::Straight-Face::Straight-Face:

Comment

• Sorry to vent, but we are losing freedom one little bit at a time.... :Straight-Face::(

Comment

• Good label, Pat.... I hope it falls within their "standard marking guidelines" ….
            :Confused:

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
              I hope the FAA Inspector has good eyesight. ;)
              I like this a lot and planned on the same, just one thing, make the font color a shade off the gray.. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                Sorry to vent, but we are losing freedom one little bit at a time.... :Straight-Face::(

​​​​​Absurd and Hopefully, this will pass by as gracefully as my Mandatory Drone (UAS License) did !!! Jeeeeez ...

Comment

Good label, Pat.... I hope it falls within their "standard marking guidelines" ….
                  :Confused:
                  It should. It's on the exterior, and is visible upon visual inspection. Barely, but it is visible. :)
                  Pat

Comment

• 1" Characters/Numerals on the Belly visible 'Only' with one of their nifty little 'Blacklights' they have at TSA !!! That'll work !

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                      Got my 3D printed cockpit installed. Its backlighted with a single white LED. Was trying to come up with a way to connect the light without having to mess with a plug-in connector. This worked great. Power the bird up and put the canopy hatch in place and it's on.
                      Great job!! Love the backlighting and light slots for the HUD. Looks like you did two, front and back of the "glass". I did a similar setup but with a single green led and a single slot. Haven't got the "glass" yet.....what did you use and how did you do the semi circles? Love the contact points for the led....maybe I should do two sets....one for the led and one for the operable canopy.?:Cool:I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the mods but I have to remember it's early in the building season.;)

Comment

• I should mention FAA was out at our flying site in Lincoln Calif a couple of weeks ago. Nobody even noticed them until they were leaving! ( we get a lot of spectators that sit in vehicles when it's cold out).

Comment

• If anyone's interested, B and E Graphixs has a lettering pack, were you can pick font and color. Smallest letter height is .25. Thought this might be of interest.
                          Rick

Comment

• The actual wording says "must be visible upon inspection" doesn't say how close they have to be, or how big the lettering has to be, so it's up to the discretion of the "pilot"
                            My guess is at my field, we'll have less than 10% compliance.

Comment

Sorry to vent, but we are losing freedom one little bit at a time.... :Straight-Face::(
                              Ya know that sounds political Jerry, I got to flag it!!

Pulling yur leg mate. I remember when the AMA was the laughing stock of the RC flight line. We use to all make jokes about it. But here we are.

Woody

Comment

• I have to say that if this is an issue then the “requirement” to have AMA numbers on your plane should be a big issue as there is a minimum size for that. If you say that the AMA number is not a requirement consider part of the law is to fly within a community based set of rules. They basically codified the AMA “guidelines”...

While I put my FAA number in or on my planes in tiny characters with a sharpie I haven’t put a AMA number in since competing in the 70’s. And still don’t have my FCC...

Living on the edge!

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Great job!! Love the backlighting and light slots for the HUD. Looks like you did two, front and back of the "glass". I did a similar setup but with a single green led and a single slot. Haven't got the "glass" yet.....what did you use and how did you do the semi circles? Love the contact points for the led....maybe I should do two sets....one for the led and one for the operable canopy.?:Cool:I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the mods but I have to remember it's early in the building season.;)
                                  I put the single white LED right behind what looks like the radio in the instrument panel. I put a green lens of 1/16" plexi under the single slot for the HUD. What looks like a second slot is actually the reflection off the HUD glass. The slot for the HUD is on the pilot's side of the HUD glass, right at the point whare the glass touches the frame. For the HUD I also used 1/16" plexi. The semis are done with a compass type scribe used by machinists. There is also a coat of clear green on the HUD lense. Both are done with clear green testors paint. For the HUD lense, paint the unscribed side so the lines show up better.

Comment

•  

Comment

You don't need to be sorry... unfortunately the improper use of drones has impacted all of us. I have some DJI video drones but fly them correctly. Also been flying RC for many … many years (since reeds)

I think that everyone that fly's RC planes has the same feelings as you do.
                                      Rich

Comment

Yep, I'm with ya bro. I've always said, whether it's in construction(which I do for a living) or anything else, for every stupid rule there is an idiot out there that made it necessary to have.

Comment

• O.K. today I went to put an F-16 main wheel on the nose strut of the F-22. Had to pry the forks to get it in there but then the pin doesn't fit and it rubs far too much. I ground down the center of the wheel hub on each side so the pin would fit but now it rubs farther out. This is a whisky tango foxtrot moment.:Thinking: The only solution I can think of is to put a small washer on either side of the wheel to avoid the rubbing but I will need a slightly longer pin. Unless someone has a solution, I may just go back to the stock wheel.:(

Comment

Working...
                                          X