Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-22 went together great, just have to give motion a call about hardware issue.
    Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
      Congrats!

However, I don't get the lack of love for the F-22? I hear that a lot..."Not my favorite" or "Not a fan, but..." More than any other model I can think of.

I love the F-22! It looks totally badass, contemporary and heads and shoulders cooler looking (to me) than the F-35. A lot of folks admit it's a great model but there always seems to be the "Not my favorite..." attached. Can anyone explain?

I like the F-22 very much, but can understand those who aren't crazy about it's looks- all the angles, square intakes, rectangular exhausts etc. could be seen as weird, whereas I (we) think it makes for a very cool looking modern fighter with incredible performance. On a side note I saw (for the first time) 3 F-35's up close at an airshow last year and didn't find them "ugly" at all, as had been my previous opinion. Form follows function I guess.
      Tom

Comment

• Good stuff, thanks Pogo... I guess I look at aircraft like I look at cars. There is aesthetic beauty in all era's. The timeless lines of say a classic muscle or sports car from the 50's and 60's (equivalent to the lines of a WWII warbird) to the futuristic angles and symmetry of say a Lamborghini Aventador (F-22)...I guess I like them all. As for the F-35 it's that hunchback that throws me off and I can't get past. I am sure up close it does look sweet though.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Congrats!

However, I don't get the lack of love for the F-22? I hear that a lot..."Not my favorite" or "Not a fan, but..." More than any other model I can think of.

I love the F-22! It looks totally badass, contemporary and heads and shoulders cooler looking (to me) than the F-35. A lot of folks admit it's a great model but there always seems to be the "Not my favorite..." attached. Can anyone explain?

Ok, let me clarify for myself just a bit. First I'm thinking you. (Aros) are considerably younger than I. I'm old (63). So we have very different prospective's on most things, airplanes to say the least. Ok the real F-22 is a pretty competent plane in real life to say the least. However I pose this to you, if Freewing had of made an F-100. They would have sold many more models, possibly 6 times more models, my opinion, simply my opinion. They could have made many other jets, and sold many many more planes. Yes Aros you and the Motion/Freewing think this was a great plane to make. Many of your valued Motion/Freewing customers think otherwise. I know more than a few like this plane very much. I totally respect someones taste in airplanes, so please don't get confused here.

What I'm saying is if you compare the calls for an F-100 to the calls for an F-22. It is my belief that the calls for an F-100 soundly and not insignificantly won out. So what did you folks make? You made the plane your model selection Zars wanted to make. The plane you wanted to make. You chose to completely ignore many of your valued customers. These types of decisions will catch up to you eventually. So here's the bigger question. Are you guys about your customers, or about yourselves? I'm sure the Motion crowd thought a lot of people would want an F-22, and I think they did. But ya know Aros No one is making an F-100, No one, unless you want to get into a 5 figure model.

For me the F-22 & the F-35 look like a brick layers made them. There profile, (meaning looking at them from the side) looks silly to me. It will never be one of my favorites, ever. I like both the F-22 & F-35 as tools of war. As a matter of fact the F-35 of a hovering verity is super easy to land. It's not like a Harrier, anyone could land it, literally. So needless to say it's a pretty amazing plane. Not an amazing model in the least, at least not for me and people like me. For young people like you, probably yes.

You guys are complete, "Boneheads" if you don't produce that F-100, A-7, F-8, F-105, and of course the OV-10. BONEHEADS! I say in the friendliest way possible mate. No insult intended. But if these are not in the pipeline ya need to get a firm grip on each shoulder and pull your heads out of that dark place we all stick it some time.

Ya know when there was a rumor going around the forum you might be making an S-3 Viking. I thought Naaa, you guys just think your cool, But not cool for sure not Woodcock's type of cool. An S-3 would have been super cool for me. LOL

Best Regards
          Woody

PS There RC models, you need to like what your looking at. One last thing Aros, I've owned (2) Ferraris, ans (2) Lamborginis. In case your wondering, a 288GTO, 348TS, Jota, and probably the most beautiful Black Diablo ever seen. I would never own an Aventador. Frankly it's not a true lamborghini it's an Audi called a Lamborghini. Besides I think there ugly.

Comment

• Aros, There's merit to what Woodcock is saying here. The beauty of older A/C designs where designs also followed function included one distinction from today's A/C, all inputs were from people who were engineers and test pilots making the most from what 'new' tech was available. State of the art A/C like the F-35 and others have the enormous advantage of computer inputs with human inputs. Aerodynamically an F-22 could not be flown without 'fly-by-wire' and computer assistance. It is designed with that as SOP. Older aircraft relied on aerodynamics in harmony with the latest tech, today not so much. For me, there is a true beauty in long flowing line and sleek designs which were used to reduce drag with engines of limited HP. I am thankful for the new breed of aircraft, model or 1:1, though these have less visual appeal to me and that is an important consideration in my purchases. I understand the F-22 is a great flyer, though when I watch the vids, how many of those slow maneuvers and hovers could be done without computer-chip assist? Respectfully, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Now see? These are comments with substance! Thank you both. I can completely see where you guys are coming from. I humbly suggest I wasn't going quite that deep with my analysis, it was more of an aesthetic line of thought but these areas, nooks and crannies you are exploring are deeper and worthy of further discussion. Woodcock besides the fact you owned my DREAM CAR (Diablo) and disagree with your thoughts on the Aventador, lol, I hear you. Unfortunately, I am not in the miniscule circle within the company that decides what models we are going to release. Alpha has the ear of the owners so he would be the ear to bend there. Personally, and it's totally fine if you disagree, the F-100 does nothing for me and I am not quite sure why you think it would be a massive seller? I could be wrong and I would be happy to admit it, but it behooves me to remind you and anyone that aircraft are clearly subjective. One person's muse is another's "meh". That's life. And why we are even discussing why I love the looks of the F-22 while others could care less for it.
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Congrats!

I have to agree with you Aros. The F-22 is awseome. I really don't think it has anything to do with the beholder's age....I'll be 70 in a few weeks. When you look back at the first stealth fighter, the F-117, it was pretty angular and clumsy looking to me and , of coarse, stealth is the whole point in these planes. When the F-22 came out and I actually saw it perform at Reno years ago I couldn't believe how cool it was. As to the lines from the side, it totally looks like a lifting body, which it, of coarse, is. Love the tail surfaces and basically the whole enchillada. :Drooling: The F-35....... not so much. Anyway IMHO, I think it was a good choice to do this plane. Some new planes I like and some I don't but it doesn't bother me in the slightest if MRC makes a plane or two or three that I"m not in love with. The suggestion that MRC is only building what it likes and not what the customers want doesn't really ring true to me. I just don't think you can EVER make everyone happy. Just my two cents worth.:Cool:

Comment

• FreeWing can offer a Gold Tinted Canopy for this one... That'd make me happy !

Comment

Congrats!

Now you see, I like the F-35 better, would have ordered it right away, but I waited this long to order the F-22, it had to grow on me I guess, so to put it simple, it just doesn't have that aggressive look like the F-16, F-15, F-4 and such, I don't like the vertical stabs, they just look wrong to me and that bugs me for some reason, maybe it's because it is so clean looking in the air and I have to tell you though, my wife came out to see the second flight and she loved it, she liked the way it flew and said it looked graceful and smooth, well it is, the 4068-1680kv is a perfect match for it, has a nice smooth quiet whoosh sound to it and I went over 3 minutes easy, vertical was awesome, straight up until I turned it around.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                      The suggestion that MRC is only building what it likes and not what the customers want doesn't really ring true to me. I just don't think you can EVER make everyone happy. Just my two cents worth.:Cool:
                      This is 100% correct. I can guarantee you that NOBODY in our company sits around and says "Hey, what do WE want to make next?" I know this is going to sound like a brown-nosing employee but I mean it when I say EVERYTHING this company does is with the customer in mind, period, end of story.

Just because we release an F-22 doesn't mean it's a slap in the face to those who want, say, an F-100. ;)
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hey!!! I have a Bunker 27 Tee shirt now to match the bird, so I am getting there. And it is way sexier than the F-35!!! :Cool::Cool:

Comment

• It is getting to be my favorite flyer!!!! And the full scale is without peer!!!! :P Of course, after I fly the F-18C, we will see!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• True that!! :P
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I have to respond to Mr Woodcock. I'm older (70). Not cool. But I do have the 8 cell f-22. It is absolutely the best flying one out there. Very fast , very aerobatic! No boneheadedness in designing and marketing this jet by any means. If anything I think it is a home run for Motion RC. Granted when I first saw it, it wasn't like F-16, F-18. But it has become my absolute funest jet to fly,( I have : YAK 130 8cell; Flex Jet; F-4 8cell, A-10, ME 130; DeHavaland DH 112. ) Thank you Motion RC!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

Congrats!!!! It is hard to explain until you fly it, but it is just a great flying airframe!!! I am not a F-22 fan either, but I am getting there!!!! LOL Have a blessed weekend DC!!
                                Thanks and you have a blessed weekend as well Hardway.

Who knows, the more I look at it, the more I'm starting to like it, it may stay in the hangar for a bit.:Cool:

Comment

• Did I ever say there was any Boneheadness in the Design of the F-22? Alpha developed this plane, this guy is top shelf, I'm certain the F-22 is a great flying EDF. As for us old guys, I'm 63, if I live I'll be 70 pretty quick. Give me a break, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, sincerely.

Am I the only idiot here that remembers how many people were calling for an F-100 when the F-22 showed up? Now I'm certain the F-22 is a great flying plane, I never questioned it. I'm glad all of you all like it, I mean that sincerely.

As I've said in the past, they all can't be just for me. I got a C-130, a Grumman Albatross, and soon to get a Freewing Blue Angels F-18. I'll probably get (2) a Blue one and a Grey one. Love the plane, I'm around them every day. I can't wait. So please carry on, James ask a question I tried to respond. Once again my sincere apologies if I offended anyone.

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                                    Did I ever say there was any Boneheadness in the Design of the F-22? Alpha developed this plane, this guy is top shelf, I'm certain the F-22 is a great flying EDF. As for us old guys, I'm 63, if I live I'll be 70 pretty quick. Give me a break, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, sincerely.
                                    Woody, you have offended absolutely no one. We are all friends just chattin' away and engaging in friendly debate. :Cool:
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I have to say you guys are doing a GREAT job, it's clear allot of time goes into these planes to make them look, fly, and perform well. Been at this for quite some time, used to be when a "cool" looking electric would come out the look was all it had, countless hours of modifying and upgrading where needed to actually make them fly at all. Even today If I make the jump and buy a lower quality plane I'm quickly reminded that ALLOT of work will be needed before she will fly or fly well. The only plus here is that it slowes me down a bit,back in the day I could only make 2 planes a year or so.
                                      I'm grateful you are taking the time to make a quality product that works out of the box, I like the look of the f22 in person, the rc kit looks nice but not my cup of tea. It's a good thing I don't lust for each and every new plane motion puts out as the hanger is bursting at the seams, have to be careful what I decide to build. Thanks for bringing us such a great variety of fun toys, looking forward to seeing whats next.
                                      rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post
                                        FreeWing can offer a Gold Tinted Canopy for this one... That'd make me happy !
                                        Yep, that would be cool! I'll take the second one that comes out the door.;)

Comment

• One thing I've learned thankfully in RC (because it likely saves some money from time to time, ha-ha) is that even though I like and respect a specific full scale aircraft, that doesn't mean I necessarily want to own it and fly it as a RC model aircraft. This F-22 does not fall into that category for me, but some other aircraft do. If I won't enjoy a model RC aircraft, it becomes a hangar queen, and that just defeats the purpose of why I purchase model RC aircraft, which is to fly them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X