Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey air Guardian I finally planted my su35 after years. Freaking sun blinded me. Instead of another su35 after years I decided to go with the f22 6s jp hobby fan. Just ordered it today. Tough choice between this and the MiG 29, something about that MiG that doesn't get me excited. I know you've been flying it a lot lately. Probably get another su35 at the end of summer.

Comment

• Finally got my maiden in today, and wow what a great flying airplane. Pulled blue box out in favor of a 12 channel reciever, and took my time on the bench setup. The end result was a plane that needed ZERO trim. I do have to say the stock throws are a bit much for me so i will be taking 10-20% off of both high and low rates. Next few flights i will get the gyro setup and activated. This thread has been hugely helpful!

Comment

• Congrats on the maiden!

And greetings from Norway! ^^

Originally posted by dbirds2 View Post
        Hey air Guardian I finally planted my su35 after years. Freaking sun blinded me. Instead of another su35 after years I decided to go with the f22 6s jp hobby fan. Just ordered it today. Tough choice between this and the MiG 29, something about that MiG that doesn't get me excited. I know you've been flying it a lot lately. Probably get another su35 at the end of summer.
        Ouch, too bad, sorry for your crash!
        You'll love the Raptor though ;)

I also planted my EF-18A due to getting sunblinded... :'(

Comment

• Hi everyone,
          Just received my new F22 from Motion RC, I ordered it Wednesday morning and received it by 3:00 the next day! Thanks Motion!! Like most say I put it together in an hour but will probably take at least a couple of hours to get the radio and everything setup. At 600$ plus bucks I want to take my time setting it up but this thing is a beauty and can’t wait to get her in the air! Just one question has anyone done any weathering to there Raptor? Like to see some pictures if possible. As my normal process is to fly it before doing any modifications. Thanks!

Comment

• Oh yea! There she is!

Comment

• Some things... Take your landing gear struts and put loctite on the set screws on both sides of the pin, the strut side and the retract mechanism side. I don't remember if I ground flats on the stab pivot rods where the wheel collars go to hold on the stabs but do put loctite on those set screws too. Glue on the nose cone, the magnets don't hold it on good enough.

The mains have an odd spring loaded knuckle that makes high speed ground handling odd, a steering specific gyro works wonders (Assan).

Everyone has their own radio set up but tailerons really work well on this plane. You'll get a lot of opinions on full span this and that, 8S, 10S, and 12S set ups and different CG points. The stock 6S isn't bad and the book CG is a good start.

For looks, please paint the rudder servos grey. :)

Its a great plane. good luck when you maiden it.

Comment

• Thanks Evan!
                I will break out the Loctite and go through it.
                I know the dam nose cone on my F16 is always popping off at the field and when I bring it back into my hanger, I mentioned glueing it on to the guys at the field but was recommended not too, but I think I will glue it on!
                I’ve heard good things about the assan steering gyro but where would I purchase it from?

thanks again!

Comment

• I didn't glue on the nose cone; I added a "lip" at the bottom that slides into the fuselage, and added just one rare earth magnet on the top part of the cone. It is rock solid now, and requires a minimal pull to get it off. The lip at the bottom prevents the cone from pivoting downward, the top magnet keeps it in place. Solid.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1100785.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	356041
                  The biggest advantage of not gluing the nose on is that it is able to come off when it needs to. I've had a heavy landing in taller grass, the nose came off. If it had been glued on, I would most certainly have had damage to the fuselage (it crumbles easily in front of the canopy).
                  A good alignment of the nose wheel makes a steering gyro more or less redundant.
                  You can temporarily replace the nose wheel shaft by a long bar, to visualize the wheel alignment angle. Once the wheel is properly aligned, and you have plenty of expo on the nose wheel steering, you shouldn't have any problem taking off. I had a couple of takeoffs with play one the main gear (grub screw problem mentioned above), making the plane diverting from the center-line and requiring quite a bit of corrections; never had the knuckle problem doing that (the plane drifted from left to right over a couple of meters at respectable speed). I've only had problems with the main gear knuckles when I made very sharp turns after landing (to avoid an over-run into a ditch). Flipped her a couple of times.
                  As I fly on a grass runway, things might be different on a concrete one, I don't know.
                  As far as the gear grub screw: I had troubles tightening the screws to get the gear leg firmly fixed in place. Turned out that the grub screw couldn't protrude deep enough to really push onto the gear leg pin. I had to thread some M3 a bit deeper into the gear leg, and the problem was fixed.
                  But most of all: enjoy this wonderful model!

Comment

• I think newer ones may come with a ply piece for the nose. Mine didn't. I added extra magnets and it still came off. I fly of pavement and flying off grass may be okay with the nose and the knuckles...

Comment

• Well, I realized that things with the knuckles might be different on concrete while I was writing my post, and you can confirm apparently.
                      Oddly enough, I have the problem only at lower speeds, as mentioned during sharp turns after landing. I guess at higher speeds the wheels have less friction with the grass and allow more sideways movements, and the wings having lift can only help at that point.
                      About the nose cone, I would tend to disagree that grass runway would be easier on it; just like with 1:1, grass gives quite a rougher ride. I've had the cone come off (before my mod) during the (nominal) takeoff run, and even during rotation once.
                      I think the added lip really makes a big difference here

Comment

• Yep. It's really meant to run that wooden lip.
                        Mine came with it and ordered almost a year ago.

Also, I suspect that nose has extra ballast weight fitted inside, which doesn't help.
                        I'm betting if we carve the foam from the back we should find it.

I may try myself soon enough.

Comment

• As you can see in the picture that I attached, I did carve away the foam, and I only found a lot of plastic behind it. I "dremeled" away as much as I could, and got rid of a bit of dead weight (I forgot how much exactly, but it wasn't spectacular).

Comment

• Did you weigh before and after?
                            What was the change?

Comment

• I did weigh, but the difference was small. I didn't even take note of the difference, a couple of grams only. The only thing that I cut away was some sort of star-shaped plastic plates, converging towards the cone's top. Now it's more or less empty.
                              I agree that the nose cone does feel heavy for its size, but I guess it's just heavy plastic that has been used, in a thick wall.

Comment

• That must be it then... a bit overkill by FW I guess, hmmm...

Meanwhile, on other news...

Big thanks to janmb for giving me this opportunity!
                                Will post more flights (and more exciting too) soon!

Comment

• Another flight with janmb 's F-22.
                                  More aerobatics going on in this one as I slowly got used to it.

(Thanks again!) :D

Comment

• Hey guy,

I maiden my F22 on Tuesday I put 4 packs thru her and she flys awesome and lands like a feather, flew so good i had to take her up again today looking to get more stick time, ran the first pack in it no problem, second flight I was at about 1:30 on the timer and she pitched up and did a half roll (lost radio signal) I think it either cut power buy it self or was me but she went into the corn field, I retrieved it, it’s a little banged up but it will fly again. I got it back on the bench and opened the hatch and saw the receiver (spektrum ar6210 with satellite)had the normal solid red light on and also had a blinking orange light, guys said that meant it lost signal, the transmitter battery was reading about 4.9 volts so I’m not sure if that was to low and caused the lost signal or is there something else I should be looking into, any help or suggestions are appreciated!

thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by StevenR View Post
                                      Hey guy,

I maiden my F22 on Tuesday I put 4 packs thru her and she flys awesome and lands like a feather, flew so good i had to take her up again today looking to get more stick time, ran the first pack in it no problem, second flight I was at about 1:30 on the timer and she pitched up and did a half roll (lost radio signal) I think it either cut power buy it self or was me but she went into the corn field, I retrieved it, it’s a little banged up but it will fly again. I got it back on the bench and opened the hatch and saw the receiver (spektrum ar6210 with satellite)had the normal solid red light on and also had a blinking orange light, guys said that meant it lost signal, the transmitter battery was reading about 4.9 volts so I’m not sure if that was to low and caused the lost signal or is there something else I should be looking into, any help or suggestions are appreciated!

thanks
                                      So many questions here....
                                      1) What radio are you using?
                                      2) Does it have a low battery alarm of sorts?
                                      3) Does it have failsafe settings?
                                      4) Did you perform a range check before your maiden flight?

Signal strength telemetry can avoid this sort of problem alltogether. It will warn you of degrading signal strength before it becomes a problem. A blinking LED on a receiver after a crash isn't helping much in preventing a crash.
                                      You have a 4,2kg unguided missile flying around, ready to hurt someone when radio equipment fails you like that. If your radio doesn't have any of the safety features mentioned above, you should definitely buy one that has them. I don't want to be or even sound pedantic, I'm just a bit worried at this point.

Comment

• Quite the scary experience... but we can thankfully laugh at it now :')

Comment

• Originally posted by HangarQueen View Post

So many questions here....
                                          1) What radio are you using?
                                          2) Does it have a low battery alarm of sorts?
                                          3) Does it have failsafe settings?
                                          4) Did you perform a range check before your maiden flight?

Signal strength telemetry can avoid this sort of problem alltogether. It will warn you of degrading signal strength before it becomes a problem. A blinking LED on a receiver after a crash isn't helping much in preventing a crash.
                                          You have a 4,2kg unguided missile flying around, ready to hurt someone when radio equipment fails you like that. If your radio doesn't have any of the safety features mentioned above, you should definitely buy one that has them. I don't want to be or even sound pedantic, I'm just a bit worried at this point.

Using a Spektrum DX6
                                          yes battery alarm set at 4.3v
                                          no fail safe
                                          no I did not perform a range check.. I know my bad!!

so I did fly it again on Saturday successfully 4 times.
                                          things I did after the signal loss ordeal, I replaced the transmitter battery’s ( pretty sure that was not the problem, I’ve flown many times with the battery’s at 4.6v)

second I swapped out the ar6210 spektrum receiver ( I purchased that receiver from ebay, I’ve been reading that those receivers are not genuine spektrum receiver.. yea I know that was dumb on my part! Don’t know why I tried going cheap on the receiver after spending over 700$ on the air plane..lesson learned!

I put in a brand new spektrum ar6610T with a satellite with telemetry and fail safe, it flew great and no problems. And yes I range checked before flying!

Comment

Working...
                                          X