First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Finally, got some decent clouds to film the Raptor with, woohoooo! :D

Comment

• I have been looking at photos of the battery compartment of this F-22 and it looks like there isn't any flat surface to mount a receiver with a integrated gyro. I am going to use a Spektrum AR637T receiver and it needs a flat square with the plane mounting surface. Where have you guys been mounting your receiver gyro combos in this bird?

Comment

• Originally posted by Falcon195 View Post
          I have been looking at photos of the battery compartment of this F-22 and it looks like there isn't any flat surface to mount a receiver with a integrated gyro. I am going to use a Spektrum AR637T receiver and it needs a flat square with the plane mounting surface. Where have you guys been mounting your receiver gyro combos in this bird?
          The area in front of the battery compartment is slanted, so I made a wedge out of old, spare foam where I could mount the gyro and the RX more or less flat. Use a protractor to determine and approximate angle for the wedge (check with a level bubble). It so happens that just above that area, the underside of the canopy has hollows in it. Place your RX in a place where it goes into the hollow just right when the canopy is on. If need by, you can trim some foam to make a bit more space. The gyro does not have to be perfected "flat". A few degrees off isn't going to make much difference. Besides, if I recall correctly, the 637T has a "level" calibration that you can do. The level-ness is only critical for SAFE mode where the plane self levels when you let go of the sticks. AS3X does not need to be perfectly level to work correctly.

Comment

• Also I would like to ask. Are you guys using any kind of reinforcement for the front gear? I see that there is a guy making a 3D printed front gear reinforcement. Is this or any other reinforcement recommend?

Comment

• I started using such a nose strut reinforcement piece about 3 or 4 years ago. I made my own out of balsa ply and hot glued it in. I did it for a couple of my jets that I was hitting pretty hard on landing. This was at a time when I was still in the rough stages of my landing technique. Having this brace helped to a limited extent but I quickly discovered that even with the brace, if you hit the nose gear just right and just hard enough, something will still break, only the break is in a different place in the retract as the force with brace is different than the force without a brace. After those 2 planes, I stopped using the brace as I got better at landing. I haven’t damaged a nose retract to that extent since. You have to assess your landing skill level and must decide for yourself if you think such a piece will be of benefit to you.

Comment

• [QUOTE=xviper;n339504]

Well said - stop the problem at it's source... :)

Comment

• I put the 637t (and a remote) on the vertical port side of the bird. Mid-canopy>front there's a flat spot that's relatively parallel to the long axis of the bird. In terms of programming, this is an acceptable orientation for the as3x, etc.. Haven't flown her yet, but will be shortly. I also clipped 3 coils off the front gear spring and 2 off the mains - to cut down on the bounce with grass field ops. Again, i have no idea if i will end up with popcorn in the end after either of these mods / installs, but it's just what i did based on what i've seen / heard. I'm going thru all my big birds and changing these things: 1. pulling rx antennae thru the fuse on 2 diff axis, 2. for $35, installing remote rx's onto the ar637t's (used the 8 ch ver in the FW F15), and putting rf chokes on the batt lead off the ESCs on all. I dropped a brand new Viper 90 Saturday and i wanna make sure that never happens again... (she's good, almost back together and flying again as well) what a great plane, btw...

if any of you veterans have any thoughts / suggestions on what i'm doing above, please feel free to share - i'm a sponge for this data...

Comment

I have been looking at photos of the battery compartment of this F-22 and it looks like there isn't any flat surface to mount a receiver with a integrated gyro. I am going to use a Spektrum AR637T receiver and it needs a flat square with the plane mounting surface. Where have you guys been mounting your receiver gyro combos in this bird?
                    My A3S3 gyro is under the wooden tray holding the battery, along with an external UBEC and plenty of excess wiring. That area is flat.

Originally posted by Falcon195 View Post
                    Also I would like to ask. Are you guys using any kind of reinforcement for the front gear? I see that there is a guy making a 3D printed front gear reinforcement. Is this or any other reinforcement recommend?
                    Haven't had any problem with neither nose nor main landing gear in 105 flights, so probably not really needed.
                    If it ain't broke...

Comment

• For grass fields that are not as maintained as others yes it is.

Comment

• Here are 4 of my most recent flights in slow motion showing the hands on the transmitter, in case that's helpful or entertaining ;)

Comment

• I also made a non-slow-motion version of it too ^^

Comment

• I made a crazy compilation :p

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                For grass fields that are not as maintained as others yes it is.
                                our grass field is ok, but i still installed a nose gear brace, just in case, but i have to agree, generally the gear works fine, more than 100 flights and no issues so far...she is even not that prone to tipping as i expected ..you know her mains are not that wide, but also no issues so far

Comment

• Some more flying, no music this time ;)

Comment

• Issue resolved!

8S F-22 Raptor - ESC out of sync due to my error when setting throttle endpoints.

Trying to use the Freewing ESC programming card to reset the ESC and I can get it to power up. The 150A ESC has a separate BEC with a switch. Tried plugging up the throttle wire to BEC on the cardper the instructions and the switch to the battery port. No luck. The ESC will go be quiet for a few seconds after I plug the battery into the main ESC (EC5), then go to a single repeating beep like it does when it is waiting to sync to the radio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

I think i mounted mine on the vertical side of the bay. I did mount a remote up front under the canopy hollow xviper refers to as well. RF chokes, etc., but haven't maidened her yet. I think i'm going to do that this week finally.

Comment

• I don't have a gyro or receiver with a gyro. I mounted it behind the battery tray on the floor. I have two satellites, one in the nose and one at the right hand stab.

Comment

• The nose gear mount on my new raptor is cracked by a rough landing. Ordered the gear mount set. Does anyone know how to get the nose gear mount out without destroying the fuse?

Comment

Working...
                                          X