Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use to fly park jets with a four channel transmitter with tailerons (4X4 and 2X4 setups using V-Tail mixers) a long time ago.
    1. I connected the receiver to the V-Tail mixer, then parallel to ailerons and elevons for 4x4 setup.
    2. I Connected the receiver to the ailerons, using a "Y" harness connect the receiver (aileron and elevon) wires to the V-tail mixer, then V-Tail mixer to my elevons (2X4 setup).

With a six channel,
    1. I could connect the receiver to the gyro, then connect gyro out (aileron and elevon) to the V-Tail mixer in parallel to ailerons and elevons for 4x4 setup.
    2. I could connect the receiver to the gyro, gyro to aileron, using a "Y" harness ,connect the gyro out (aileron and elevon) to the V-Tail mixer, then parallel to the elevons (2x4 setup).
    All these setup are done with the standard gyro setup (no mixing), with channel 5 as my mode switch.

Negative comments are welcome.

Comment

• I'm trying to understand the context and relate what you wrote to this F-22 and modern radios that have mixing built in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gopher View Post
        I use to fly park jets with a four channel transmitter with tailerons (4X4 and 2X4 setups using V-Tail mixers) a long time ago.
        1. I connected the receiver to the V-Tail mixer, then parallel to ailerons and elevons for 4x4 setup.
        2. I Connected the receiver to the ailerons, using a "Y" harness connect the receiver (aileron and elevon) wires to the V-tail mixer, then V-Tail mixer to my elevons (2X4 setup).

With a six channel,
        1. I could connect the receiver to the gyro, then connect gyro out (aileron and elevon) to the V-Tail mixer in parallel to ailerons and elevons for 4x4 setup.
        2. I could connect the receiver to the gyro, gyro to aileron, using a "Y" harness ,connect the gyro out (aileron and elevon) to the V-Tail mixer, then parallel to the elevons (2x4 setup).
        All these setup are done with the standard gyro setup (no mixing), with channel 5 as my mode switch.

Negative comments are welcome.

Dude, my TI-80 calculator couldn't even solve this one 🤓

Just upgrade to a Spektrum transmitter and an AS3X receiver; set your desired aircraft, wing, and tail type; plug in as directed, and fly.
        Attached Files

Comment

• I lost him part way through the first paragraph.

Comment

• Just get a proper 16ch system like Radiomaster Tx16 or FrSky stuff. Cheaper and much more capable. If you can buy this jet, you can also get a better radio. And don't need to waste loathes of money on overpriced spek stuff, really. X8R rxs are really good and just like 40 bucks, carrying full 16 channels with 8 PWM outputs and SBUS.

You will have virtually endless programming options too, so the radio gear stops being the limitation. Best investment you can do to further your RC career ;)

Comment

• Gopher​,

FrSky has Spektrum beat on cost per channel. Once you learn how to navigate and program a Radiomaster, the sky's the limit on options, as mentioned by Airguardian.

However, Spektrum is 100% worth the cost, in my opinion, when you consider what you're getting. The ease of use and presentation of the Android interface of the IX series of radios is amazing. You can program your receiver via "Forward Programming" wirelessly while plugged in and ready for flight. Very clean setup, because there's no need for telemetry modules to transmit voltage, altitude, distance, etc. to the radio; it's all built into the receiver. The coolest feature of all is there's no need for an extra module and wiring for a gyro, because, once again, it's all built into the one receiver box, which gives you a 3 axis gyro and SAFE mode on any aircraft you plug it up to.

Nevertheless, it comes down to your goals and what works for you. Judging by the complexity of your post, you may find the FrSky more to your liking.

Me on the other hand, I like to KISS... Keep It Super Simple

Comment

• Originally posted by Dougcarr73 View Post
                However, Spektrum is 100% worth the cost, in my opinion, when you consider what you're getting. The ease of use and presentation of the Android interface of the IX series of radios is amazing.
                As is my opinion. I started with Spektrum this time around and have upgraded along the way to more sophisticated Spektrum. I have over 50 planes with Spektrum RXs and at this time in my life and at this stage in my RC journey, I'm not about to change. Although I have not jumped into the IX arena, I did just recently acquire an NX10. No learning curve to deal with, no fuss, nothing truly unfamiliar, a quick and easy transition. It does everything I need or want it to do. It has features I'll likely never use. I don't need it to brush my teeth or massage my feet. Plus, I can walk into any hobby shop and pick up a BNF plane and know it can be bound and work in seconds. Lemon RXs are "dirt cheap" and even Spektrum smart RXs are affordable.
                If you are starting out and in the market for such equipment, that's another story. You'll be dealing with that learning curve anyway, so do your homework.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dougcarr73 View Post
                  However, Spektrum is 100% worth the cost, in my opinion, when you consider what you're getting.
                  If you are willing to dump a lot of money in radio gear, then I'd suggest Jeti over Spektrum anyday... and so would most people flying really expensive models, I think.

There you'll get functionality AND reliability. ;)

Powerbox CORE is another decent option, but Jeti has them beat for the time being me thinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

If you are willing to dump a lot of money in radio gear, then I'd suggest Jeti over Spektrum anyday...
                    Oh how I would have liked to have gotten into Jeti, but the price at the time scared me to death. I simply wasn't sure if I was going to get that serious about RC. By the time I was hooked again, I was deeply ensconced in Spektrum. Too old and set in my ways. Not only the "KISS" principle but the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" came into play. Another persuader ..................... A couple of people at the field would come up to me to ask how to do something with their FrSky or other brand and all I could do was shrug my shoulders and look stupid.

Comment

• This may have to be a next fpv candidate

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        Here's a video of mine. I don't have crazy throws (I think I'm on mid rates in the video) but I do have TVs.

IMG 1771 - YouTube

Though I have full span flaps I like the feel of standard flaps better. I also don't use elevator to flap mix, it doesn't work as well as most planes, probably since the TE of the flaps are right at the LE of the stabs.​
                        Very nice set up! The thrust vectoring is very well done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

If you are willing to dump a lot of money in radio gear, then I'd suggest Jeti over Spektrum anyday... and so would most people flying really expensive models, I think.

There you'll get functionality AND reliability. ;)

Powerbox CORE is another decent option, but Jeti has them beat for the time being me thinks.
                          Airguardian is spot on.

I have been flying Jeti (DS-24) since they came on the scene, and I also have a Radio Master TX16s. From a programing perspective I can't imagine there is anything both radios can't accomplish.

Other than build quality the major differences are ease of use (programing) and receiver/telemetry options. IMHO Jeti is far stronger in both of these categories but depending on your use case the Radio Master is an exceptionally capable radio.

I picked up the Radio Master for my racing/freestyle quads (ELRS) because Jeti is not making micro and mini receivers for quads available in the US yet. I love both radios and you can't go wrong with either.

Powerbox is looking very interesting but i think they are a year+ or so behind the curve regarding telemetry and receiver options. Their primary use case is RC Turbine Jets atm, so not much on the EDF or other rc disciplines. Also, Jeti is coming out with their new line of transmitters next year (undergoing FCC review now) which i think will move them up regarding some of the missing gingerbread options such as WiFi, Bluetool and touch screens.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElCid View Post
                            Anyone have thoughts on upgrading to the 12 blade 90mm fan and 1550amp ESC for this bird? I had an unfortunate "afterburner" wire ingestion incident :D into my 9 blade and while it appears to be ok (model flys fine) i am a bit worried about some scoring within the fan duct.
                            anyone have a suggestion or recommendation? Do i go 8s and be done with it?

Comment

• If you need to change I'd go to 8S.

The stock 8S EDF and ESC/BEC would be about the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I like Jet Fan EDFs, they are 9b, light weight and very efficient but expensive and then you need a matching motor. I use HET motors but have had the kevlar windings in a couple come apart. If I had the money I would go with Neu motors, I use them on my pylon racers and hot liners but they are very expensive. There are also a lot of choices for ESC's and internal or adding an external BEC. The stock one is really a no brainer since it fits, comes with the right length wires (especially if you are also using the FreeWIng stock 8S fan) and is inexpensive. I went through a couple high dollar Castles and then said heck with it and got the FreeWing one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                If you need to change I'd go to 8S.

The stock 8S EDF and ESC/BEC would be about the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I like Jet Fan EDFs, they are 9b, light weight and very efficient but expensive and then you need a matching motor. I use HET motors but have had the kevlar windings in a couple come apart. If I had the money I would go with Neu motors, I use them on my pylon racers and hot liners but they are very expensive. There are also a lot of choices for ESC's and internal or adding an external BEC. The stock one is really a no brainer since it fits, comes with the right length wires (especially if you are also using the FreeWIng stock 8S fan) and is inexpensive. I went through a couple high dollar Castles and then said heck with it and got the FreeWing one.
                                I appreciate it, i was thinking along the same lines. Was looking at putting a Mezon ESC/BEC combo (i fly Jeti and use them in my Helis) but figured to stay stock would be a better approach.

Comment

• What’s the cost on the mezon?

Comment

• Originally posted by ElCid View Post

I appreciate it, i was thinking along the same lines. Was looking at putting a Mezon ESC/BEC combo (i fly Jeti and use them in my Helis) but figured to stay stock would be a better approach.
                                    Get the newest version, V2, available at RC-castle if MRC doesn't carry them yet. The 6S 1750kv version looks very promising with 4.4kg, and the 8S 1350kv a whopping 5.3kg static thrust.

Comment

• Are you saying FreeWing is labeling newer ones that have a different fan as V2? That would be new as typically they make changes and it's up to the buyer to understand what change was made.

Comment

• Originally posted by TangoVector View Post

Get the newest version, V2, available at RC-castle if MRC doesn't carry them yet. The 6S 1750kv version looks very promising with 4.4kg, and the 8S 1350kv a whopping 5.3kg static thrust.
                                        Looks like i will be a Guinee pig, both have reverse thrust which will be a good add especially for my F4.

Comment

• What are you looking at? I see a V2 fan but not in a F-22 FREEWING 90MM V2 12 BLADE SPECIAL METAL EDF FOR 6S HIGH SPEED - 1750KV

And the F-22 says nothing about a reverse thrust ESC???

Comment

Working...
                                          X