Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you used micro set on a decal this large? any issue if we just clean the surface well, apply the decal and use micro sol?

Originally posted by RudyD54 View Post

I use microset and microsol. You brush on microset, and then slide the decal off the backing and onto the surface you applied it to. It keeps the decal soft and helps slide around. Once you've done that and it's in place, you gently press it down with tissue to set it. Afterwards I brush some microsol over the decal and it basically melts into the surface. On my A-10 a lot of the decals look painted on.

https://www.amazon.com/Microscale-Mi...s%2C388&sr=8-2

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      Have you used micro set on a decal this large? any issue if we just clean the surface well, apply the decal and use micro sol?

I have used it on very large decals (MiG-29 replacement fuselage...that was fun) I'll let my decal sit in a baking pan of water for about 15 seconds, put it on a non-porous countertop to loosen, apply the microset with a small flat paintbrush to the area where the decal is going to go, and by this time the decal has usually loosened enough to slide it off the paper and onto the surface. once im happy ill gently dab it down with tissue paper in a rolling motion to get the liquid under out, and let it dry for a few moments. Once Im done with all the decals and theyre dry, I'll go back and apply the microsol over all of them with another brush and then you just let them dry on their own. During this time they'll almost completely disappear into the surface contours. Sometimes on very tough areas it'll take a few applications, but make sure to let it completely dry inbetween.

Comment

• You (and many others) said "apply the microset with a small flat paintbrush". when I read that I picture it drying before I can get to putting the decal on.

Like anything new it's the fear of the unknown....

Comment

• Originally posted by Daryl View Post

So far it seems that the plane is shipped with decals applied..
          That may be just us who ordered from RC Castle. The non-applied tail decal may be a specific Motion thing.

Comment

• About the ribbon cable .................... I've corrected my previous post about them. They are, in fact loose plugs on the ends that need to be pushed into each wing.

Comment

• It is specific to Motion, unfortunately.

So the plug is like every other FW plane... As expected. Easy to bypass ad I normally do.

At this point it's the decal issue for me. I really don't want the hassle of doing it and figuring out what is the minimum to do to get a decent looking result.

Comment

It is specific to Motion, unfortunately.

So the plug is like every other FW plane... As expected. Easy to bypass ad I normally do.

At this point it's the decal issue for me. I really don't want the hassle of doing it and figuring out what is the minimum to do to get a decent looking result.
                Yes, plug is same as most other FW planes.

I'm the same way about the decal. I hate putting them on myself. I didn't like doing it on the MiG29 and was very lucky I didn't screw it up bad. So many instances where it could have gone terribly wrong. I guess Motion succumbed to the few demands from people who didn't want them pre-installed. It's too bad, most customers (IMO) really want them on. It's easy to get them off, so hard to put them on.
                That little label on the outside of the box that said "decal" must indicate at the factory which ones have the decal installed. All others are bound for Motion.

Comment

• Actually I don't like the tiger on the MiG but if it had come on it I would have accepted it. The Mirage is another story. I hate it and I do not like using that word. I've had three of the non tiger meet Mirages and would buy another if it didn't have the tiger eyes.

Interestingly some FW/ FL planes that previously came with multiple decal choices in the box are now coming with a specific pre-applied scheme.

Comment

• Anyone wanna trade canards and your tail lol mine came with the decals on it from RC castle now I have to repaint over that I thought it was going to come non applied.

Comment

• Originally posted by yf22raptor View Post
                      Anyone wanna trade canards and your tail lol mine came with the decals on it from RC castle now I have to repaint over that I thought it was going to come non applied.
                      Only ones from Motion. People might be more apt to trade if you state your location.

Comment

• I would, where are you?

Comment

• I'm in Santa Clarita ca
                          pretty far lol would have to ship ..

Comment

• Anyone local ..
                            Attached Files

Comment

• You would need to find someone close to you who ordered from MotionRC and those orders may not be filled for a bit. Still looking at Mid-March. Only MotionEU have been getting theirs.

Comment

• If you still have them and want to when I get mine I'm in for a swap. As noted it'll be a month probably.

Comment

• Just finished my nozzle airbrushed ..with heat distortion
                                  Attached Files

Comment

If you still have them and want to when I get mine I'm in for a swap. As noted it'll be a month probably.
                                    Hey Evan if I haven't done the repaint by then sure no problem we could trade out.

Comment

• Also got the blue flame afterburner going she's looking good ready for Maiden
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• That looks great, how did you do the heat distortion look?

Comment

That looks great, how did you do the heat distortion look?
                                          You 1st paint it gloss black Then use a gold alkaloid paint to give you the metal look then you do purple blue
                                          and black .. It took me a while to get the technique down but I went on YouTube and looked up how to paint heat distortion nozzles lots of videos.

Comment

Working...
                                          X