X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Learj View Post
    Hi all, is the 8s worth it? I would think the added weight would negate any gain. just curious. I plan on painting mine as I did my V2 that's still on the line and flying it is 8s as well. but I didn't gain much converting to 8s on the V2.
    It depends on what you were trying to "gain". If it's speed, then no, 8S isn't going to do it. What 8S "gains" you is "grunt" - a better ability to power out of trouble if and when you get into it. I plan on flying mine with all the missiles attached. If I get into a near stall situation, I want 8S grunt to power my way out of trouble. People always seem to think that going higher cell count will make your plane go much, much faster. If that's what you are expecting to "gain", then don't bother with 8S.
    I fly off grass sometimes. 8S gives me the grunt needed to power up to speed to take off from grass. I've had a few duplicate planes in the past. Where the 6S plane won't get up enough speed whille rolling agains the grass resistence, the same 8S plane will.
    Oh, and the elevation at which you fly. I fly at near 3500 feet. 8S has way more push at that altitude. If you're at sea level, don't bother with 8S.

Comment

• Sorry I disagree. Most 8S versions that FW has compared to 6 will give you more speed. I do agree on grunt. The 8S pushes out more air so it will help you get off the ground. As far as the don't bother... We don't have the plane yet so we, I don't really know how well the new 6S fan in this will perform in this specific plane. I may be good or it may be not so good.

If you are talking a custom 8S set up you can select a fan and motor combination designed for speed at the cost of higher amps and watts or flight time and lower stress on the motor with lower amps and watts. Watts is a pretty good determination of the thrust a plane will make. Watts is volts times amps. If you set up a 6s system at a general 100A you get about 2280W. At 8S the 100A gives you 3040W or to get the same wattage age the6S 100A system you could get a motor that would only pull 75A.

Comment

• Thanks a bunch for the info. Anyone actually flying one with 8s yet?

Comment

• I would like an update as to when to expect delivery

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTaff View Post
            I would like an update as to when to expect delivery
            As would most of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Sorry I disagree. Most 8S versions that FW has compared to 6 will give you more speed. I do agree on grunt. The 8S pushes out more air so it will help you get off the ground. As far as the don't bother... We don't have the plane yet so we, I don't really know how well the new 6S fan in this will perform in this specific plane. I may be good or it may be not so good.

I've converted all my Freewing jets to 8s. I've even put a 6s and 3s battery in to fly it on 9s and I always get more speed and grunt than the 6s setup. For example, in this F-18 video (https://youtu.be/VSUKAARvWqI) my buddy did some fancy editing to create the illusion of a fast pass followed by an inverted gear deployment. What actually happened was a full flap touch-and-go followed by a full power squat to the vertical and then remained inverted with gear and flaps deployed the whole time (1min 5 sec mark in this video) . I could never have done that on 6s. It would've ended with a full power tail slide to a stall and faceplant into the deck... guess how I know.

This flight was with two 4s, LiHv, SMC, 5300mah packs. I plan on putting the same setup in my 8s Eurofighter.

Here are some top speeds I've hit after a dive (1350kv 8s motor):
              6s - 121mph
              8s - 133mph
              9s - 140mph

I'm expecting the Typhoon to be faster... I hope. I don't care much about high-alpha flight, although it's cool; I mainly like to see some good high speed passes.

Comment

• When I said that ultimate speed when going more cells, won't produce that much "gain", I should have qualified that with more detail. As already discovered by "Learj" with his previous version Typhoon, he did not feel he gained much when going to 8S. The perception of "gains" is in the eye and mind of the beholder. I was also not referring to aftermarket, high zoot fans, but rather, 8s upgrades by the same manufacturer (eg, FW, FMS) because that was what Learj was asking about - 6s vs 8s version of the stock Typhoon. In my experience, going stock 8s from stock 6s did not make my planes go that much faster at my altitude (which I also stated). It was the "grunt" (or torque in car terms) that I noticed the most.
                As Dougcarr posted, when he went from 6s to 8s, his plane went from 121 mph to 133 mph (in a diving run). I don't consider this to be a linear or huge increase in top speed, considering a 1/3 increase in cell count, keeping in mind that it was cell count that was spoken of. Like performance automobiles (or motorcycles), it takes an exponential increase in power to just get an arithmetic increase in top speed. (Drag goes up exponentially as speed increases.)
                PS. It is my opinion (and belief) that high alpha flight can benefit from more "grunt", not higher speed capability.

Comment

• Did you see the afterburners that MRC announced today. They look neat. I watched Wes YouTube video and am confused as to which one to get for the 8s typhoon. Wes seemed to imply that the HP version would need the non freewing version with all the adapters. Any thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTaff View Post
                    Did you see the afterburners that MRC announced today. They look neat. I watched Wes YouTube video and am confused as to which one to get for the 8s typhoon. Wes seemed to imply that the HP version would need the non freewing version with all the adapters. Any thoughts.
                    Yes, I saw them.

They're inexpensive.

Comment

• Are you referring to this one:

My Typhoon came from RC Castle with one as a gift for them missing the original shipping date. It's already on my 8S fan. It came with a set of adapters. For 8S, you need this one:
                      https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...-edf-jets-e632
                      I don't know why he said it's for non-Freewing EDFs. One of the adapter rings included was the exact one I needed for the plane. The main criteria for this particular plane is that the 8S fan doesn't have any holes on the rear of the motor, so you need to adapter ring to attach the light to. The 6s fan does have the holes, so you don't need the ring.

Comment

• There are two versions. One that bolts to the back of Free Wing 80 and 90mm inrunner motors that have two screws. The other like you show is marketed for other brands or sizes of FW inrunners.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                          There are two versions. One that bolts to the back of Free Wing 80 and 90mm inrunner motors that have two screws. The other like you show is marketed for other brands or sizes of FW inrunners.
                          The controller is fairly primitive - rather like what Gooniac was using 4 years ago - but at the price it will give Geek's $95 system a serious challenge. It uses a single lamp to drive both exhausts, which is sub-optimal.

Still, if I weren't making my own, it's probably what I'd use.

Comment

• Well what do you know the one for the 8S is out of stock...

Comment

• There are other sources...

Comment

• Quick update on Eurofighter arrival to the USA (we already received and shipped the plane from our EU location to all our EU customers).

The Eurofighter is in the USA. It has already be offloaded form the ship and is on the rail on the way to Chicago. The train will arrive in Chicago this weekend and it will likely be unloaded from the train this weekend. We expect the truck to pick it up from the rail yard and deliver it Monday or Tuesday of next week. We will ship them out the day they arrive. We are expecting 6-10 inches of snow today to there is a possibility this could cause a 1 day delay.

Comment

• Thanks Tom!

Comment

• Yea Good to hear Tom . FYI Evan D I researched other sources for the 8s afterburner, RC castle has then but shipping IMHO is expensive At $11.20 minimum for Qty 1 No real discount for multiple orders.
                                    Ali express has them, shipping reasonable $4.85 for two but slower. End of month but that suits me

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                                      Quick update on Eurofighter arrival to the USA (we already received and shipped the plane from our EU location to all our EU customers).

The Eurofighter is in the USA. It has already be offloaded form the ship and is on the rail on the way to Chicago. The train will arrive in Chicago this weekend and it will likely be unloaded from the train this weekend. We expect the truck to pick it up from the rail yard and deliver it Monday or Tuesday of next week. We will ship them out the day they arrive. We are expecting 6-10 inches of snow today to there is a possibility this could cause a 1 day delay.
                                      Tom, the Chicago area weather forcast has improved considerably since you wrote that. Where I live (Chicago, south side) the forecast is now just 1 inch wet snow, and temperatures above freezing so it will melt quickly. The Gurnee forecast is no snow at all.

Comment

• Just pulled the trigger on the 8S. Hopefully I'll have it before next weekend?

Comment

• Just maidened mine. Take-off from grass was very easy. Mine has a 8S Wemotec unit installed.

This plane is really easy to land :)

Full uneditted flightvid, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

Working...
                                          X