Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I sent the admiral 4s 6000 MaH batteries back to MRC they agreed to refund money. As suggested I purchased 2 SMC 4s 5300 MaH batteries Now these are a little slimmer (allow for future swelling) and about 3/4 to 1 inch shorter so they have a bit of wiggle room in the battery bay The best part is they are 5 ounces lighter each, WOW 5 ounces each saving me 10 ounces in total.. Now the plane more or less balances without extra weight...Incidentally MRC changed their web page to recommend the admiral 5000 MaH batteries...instead of the 6000's

Comment

• I'm very surprised they agreed to accept a battery return.

Comment

• After my 6s EF's third flight the connector is so hot it melted the foam and the battery wires are very very hot. I used a clampmeter to do ground static amps test and it's 145A. I understand that static is higher than in-flight amps but my other 90mm EDF is only drawing static 120A. I changed the motor timing to 0 degrees and I still get the same 145A. Did anyone do a ground amps test on your 6s EF? Thanks.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-04-12 at 14.56.01.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	375569
        Attached Files

Comment

• Amps- 116.57
          Watts- 2401.3
          Thrust- 3050g on a full charge slightly settled​

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
            Amps- 116.57
            Watts- 2401.3
            Thrust- 3050g on a full charge slightly settled​
            Thanks Evan. Is 116.57A static ground test or in-flight?
            Not sure is my stock ESC having issue (since 0 degrees or 15 degrees timing gives same 145A draw) that is drawing so high current. unless it's normal for static to draw 145A and in-flight will reduce by 20%?

Comment

• Static ground all stock, never checked the ESC settings even.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArnoldT View Post

Thanks Evan. Is 116.57A static ground test or in-flight?
                Not sure is my stock ESC having issue (since 0 degrees or 15 degrees timing gives same 145A draw) that is drawing so high current. unless it's normal for static to draw 145A and in-flight will reduce by 20%?
                I don't believe the ESC can force the motor to draw more current than it is capable of. I'd be inclined to look to the motor as the cause of your problem.

Comment

After my 6s EF's third flight the connector is so hot it melted the foam and the battery wires are very very hot. I used a clampmeter to do ground static amps test and it's 145A. I understand that static is higher than in-flight amps but my other 90mm EDF is only drawing static 120A. I changed the motor timing to 0 degrees and I still get the same 145A. Did anyone do a ground amps test on your 6s EF? Thanks.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-04-12 at 14.56.01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	375569
                  is the motor noisy or unbalanced, have any of the blades scoured the fan housing.? Have you tried swapping the esc from your other 90mm edf . Are there any dodgy connections ? Is there free airflow over the esc ?

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post

is the motor noisy or unbalanced, have any of the blades scoured the fan housing.? Have you tried swapping the esc from your other 90mm edf . Are there any dodgy connections ? Is there free airflow over the esc ?
                    motor sounds and looks fine. no doggy connection because on my clampmeter I measure at wires from battery and wires after connector and they are drawing same amps. esc's airflow doesn't caused high amps, and each test is less than 5 seconds full throttle. Swapping esc will be my next approach as I want to be sure first that the normal full throttle is 120A instead of 150A. ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-04-13 at 15.39.42.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	375625

Comment

• duplicate post. Admin, please help to delete thanks.

Originally posted by paulrkytek View Post

motor sounds and looks fine. no doggy connection because on my clampmeter I measure at wires from battery and wires after connector and they are drawing same amps. esc's airflow doesn't caused high amps, and each test is less than 5 seconds full throttle. Swapping esc will be my next approach as I want to be sure first that the normal full throttle is 120A instead of 150A. ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-04-13 at 15.39.42.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	375627

Comment

• I haven't measured the draw of the stock 6S in my V3 Eurofighter but it certainly doesn't get the connector and leads hot enough to melt foam, nor does it result in short flights.

The4068-1835Kv 12B unit in my V2 Eurofighter pulls 116A and produces 3.1kg thrust installed (static), and I though that was a lot.

Comment

• Heads up….may just be the EC5 connector. I had one with a poor internal construction error. The poor internal construction error caused such a hot EC5 that the EC5’s plastic bubbled/melted.

Try replacing the EC5. That may solve the high temperature issue.

-GG

I have moved to the flower-petal bullet design for all my EDFs to avoid this issue. Link follows:

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                            Heads up….may just be the EC5 connector. I had one with a poor internal construction error. The poor internal construction error caused such a hot EC5 that the EC5’s plastic bubbled/melted.

Try replacing the EC5. That may solve the high temperature issue.

-GG

I have moved to the flower-petal bullet design for all my EDFs to avoid this issue. Link follows:

https://a.co/d/g2M0cCc
                            How would that explain the 145A current?

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

How would that explain the 145A current?
                              It wouldn’t….just offering something else to check based on past experience.

-GG

Comment

• I'm using XT90. While XT90 amps rating is lower than EC5, I have no issue using it on other 90mm edf that are drawing 120A. But 150A+ on my EF is definitely too high for XT90 that causes it to heat up and melted the foam.

A cold solder joint/inferior connector means higher resistance but doesn't increase the amps. It will create heat at the joint due to higher resistance. One way to test such joint is to compare the amps before and after the connector. If the amps are the same, it means there is no high resistance from poor joint/connector.

Comment

• It’s not the connector. It’s the motor or load on the motor. I’d pull the fan and inspect it and check to make sure the right motor is in it. If it all looks right contact Motion or who you got it from for advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                    I'm very surprised they agreed to accept a battery return.
                                    I think that Motion RC did the right thing... recognized a mistake and took care to have a happy customer ( Me) and change their recommendation... Good Customer relations.

Comment

I'm using XT90. While XT90 amps rating is lower than EC5, I have no issue using it on other 90mm edf that are drawing 120A. But 150A+ on my EF is definitely too high for XT90 that causes it to heat up and melted the foam.

A cold solder joint/inferior connector means higher resistance but doesn't increase the amps. It will create heat at the joint due to higher resistance. One way to test such joint is to compare the amps before and after the connector. If the amps are the same, it means there is no high resistance from poor joint/connector.
                                      The amps have to be the same each side of the connector (Kirchoff's law). A poor (high resistance) joint will cause a voltage drop across the connector (Ohm's law).

Comment

• Getting there, just need to paint the wings, finish the decals and clear coat. Then to weigh it and cringe at the extra weight

Attached Files

Comment

• When I plug in the ribbon cable from the fuselage to the wing the plug in connection does not seem to click or lock in place . It is the same on both sides. Is this normal! Seems like it will eventually pull apart in flight.

Comment

Working...
                                          X