Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys, here is my Typhoon, 29 Squadron 100th anniversary edition. Custom waterslides from Custom Model Decals UK. Setup is 10S 4400mah, 30mm aft CG, no added tail weight. AUW 4.2kg, installed thrust 4.3kg with SMC HV packs
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Fastjet57 View Post
      Hi all. I'm thinking of getting the Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon but I think I want to chose my own EDF and ESC so I'm thinking ARTF. Before I take the plunge I could do with understanding how to install the EDF/ESC and 'seal' the model back up for flight. I've seen the PnP manual online but it obviously doesn't cover EDF/ESC fitting. Does anyone know if there is a ARTF manual out there I could download and peruse? Cheers in advance. Phil.
      Personally, I'd recommend getting the 8S version with their ESC, which has thrust reversing already. It flies incredible on that power system and gets off thick grass if needed. I fly mine on the SMC HiV new 8S 4400 packs, so the ESC also handles Hi Volt packs. Unless you happen to have an EDF and ESC that you can't live without, go with their 8S version. If you do change the EDF, which I have done in most of my other EDF's, the swap out is relatively simple, assuming the fan diameter is similar. Just pop out the EDF hatch which is held on with 2 screws that gives you unfettered access to the EDF and ESC. If you put an after burner in as well as I did, you need to do that anyway. Sometimes the mounting screw holes are the same, sometimes not. The only modifications I have had to do is when I changed the Mig 29's stock EDF's with a better 12 blade FMS fan. Screw holes matched, but the fan dimension was a bit different and had to carve out some foam for the fan to fit correctly, no bigger.
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• An advantage of this planes stock fan, is that it is slightly larger diameter than previous Freewing fans. This means that if you did want to fit say a Jetfan or Schubeler upgrade, it fits with no foam removal or compressing. My DS51 dropped right in, that never happened before. The stock 8S is certainly a powerful if slightly heavy system, it does pull a lot of amps though.

Comment

• I stuck the 6s eurofighter fan in my F22 and a buddy used my 8s eurofighter fan in an F4. They both gave the planes more low end thrust and vertical. We measured speed by eye ball and gut feeling, so nothing scientific there, could be faster but an unremarkable difference. I'm still leaving the 6s version in the F22 though, as it did make it more lively. And I'll probably be putting the 8s in my Phantom to try it out. Though my buddy did get shorter flight times than the stock 8s setup. So it might mean giving up some duration with the 8s.

Comment

• New photos 😁
            Attached Files

Comment

•  

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelRain View Post
                New photos 😁
                Lookin Good. Post some pictures when you get the rest of the scheme done and don't forget to get rid of the Spanish roundel.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Out of curiosity I checked the default settings of the reversible 6S 120A ESC in the new Eurofighter. (The ESC's programming lead is quite difficult to access, being short and tucked under the ESC which itself is hard to access).

It comes with reverse enabled (obviously, but unlike the Hobbywing default for stand-alone ESCs) and 20 degree timing. There are 8 timing levels available, from zero to 30 degrees. I left mine at 20. LVC is at 2.8V/cell by default which is pretty low, but you don't want the ESC cutting out due to a tired pack with high IR. Everything else is what you'd expect.

I'd recommend getting the Hobbywing LED programming box, it's inexpensive and allows you easily to check on what you have, and make changes if you wish. I got mine in 4 days from Hobbywing Direct. It works with the 100A ESCs in the new Avanti and other updated 80mm FW jets too. https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/led-pc2c

You can program these new reversible ESCs from the transmitter but it's more awkward and doesn't tell you what the ESC's current settings are.

(Also available from Amazon)​

Comment

• I bought one this week from AmainHobbies. Why MRC don't sell it instead of offering one that doesn't work?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut View Post
                      I bought one this week from AmainHobbies. Why MRC don't sell it instead of offering one that doesn't work?
                      "It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma"; Winston Churchill.;

Comment

• I got the 8S PNP Eurofighter which comes with the new FW 120A esc. After connecting to the batts (2nos. 4S w/Y-cable), it only beeps 7 times. I've tried changing ESC parameters but can not find the "8S" option. So is my ESC faulty or is the "Auto" feature messed up? If 7beeps is correct in that it means it recognises an 8s setup then I'll settle for that. However, if not, what do I need to do to make it recognise 8S (btw, there is no option for 8S in the pregrammable state).

Comment

• I don't know where to get the manual for the FreeWing version but this is a link for the original HobbyWing version. It may help.

HW-SM100DUL-V3.1_FlyFun-V5_180712 (shopify.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by chriskwlee View Post
                            I got the 8S PNP Eurofighter which comes with the new FW 120A esc. After connecting to the batts (2nos. 4S w/Y-cable), it only beeps 7 times. I've tried changing ESC parameters but can not find the "8S" option. So is my ESC faulty or is the "Auto" feature messed up? If 7beeps is correct in that it means it recognises an 8s setup then I'll settle for that. However, if not, what do I need to do to make it recognise 8S (btw, there is no option for 8S in the pregrammable state).
                            Are you plugging in fully charged 8S batteries? I'm using the new SMC HiV 8s 4400 packs charged to 4.35 V per cell and when plugged in at a storage charge of 3.8 V per cell, the ESC only beeps 7 times (thinking it's a fully charged 7S), however, when plugged in fully charged packs, it beeps 8 times. Same with my other pack options of using 2 SMC 4S HiV 4400's. So I'll wager it beeps 8 times when you plug in a fully charged pack/packs.
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Thanks Hugh for ur personal experience. I’m pretty sure that I still heard 7beeps fully charged packs but I’m willing to give it another shot. I’ll let u know if this solves it otherwise back to the drawing board.

Comment

• Having watched many YouTube vids of the Freewing Eurofighter flying (looks terrific) I am quite amazed and astounded at the foreplane 'schedule' that has been chosen. If you look at any vid of a real Typhoon flying at moderate to high angle of attack the foreplane is very roughly the negative of the angle of attack. Freewing have basically the opposite. Also the foreplanes absolutely DO NOT work asymmetrically for roll, they only ever work symmetrically. Having worked in the BAeSystems Aerodynamics department for 10 years in the early days of Typhoon I know exactly why the real aircraft has such a (negative setting) schedule with AoA. It is for fundamental aerodynamics reasons of 1) lateral stability and control at high AoA, 2) foreplane pitch power/effectiveness at high AoA and 3) optimised drag. We tested small scale Typhoons in the wind tunnel repeatedly and a Freewing model is exactly the same but unconstrained by wind tunnel walls!! With this knowledge I want to bypass all the 'daft' foreplane mixing and do 'a correct job' in the transmitter. How can I get rid of the 'mixing board' on the jet? Are all the servo connectors available individually downstream to plug separately into a 8/10 channel receiver? Cheers in advance.

Comment

• Just unplug the canard servos from the board and plug them into individual slots on your receiver and do your mixing, you may need an extension but it's that easy. The main wing has ribbon cables so if you want go ahead and bypass them too though it sounds like you are more concerned with the canards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fastjet57 View Post
                                    Having watched many YouTube vids of the Freewing Eurofighter flying (looks terrific) I am quite amazed and astounded at the foreplane 'schedule' that has been chosen. If you look at any vid of a real Typhoon flying at moderate to high angle of attack the foreplane is very roughly the negative of the angle of attack. Freewing have basically the opposite. Also the foreplanes absolutely DO NOT work asymmetrically for roll, they only ever work symmetrically. Having worked in the BAeSystems Aerodynamics department for 10 years in the early days of Typhoon I know exactly why the real aircraft has such a (negative setting) schedule with AoA. It is for fundamental aerodynamics reasons of 1) lateral stability and control at high AoA, 2) foreplane pitch power/effectiveness at high AoA and 3) optimised drag. We tested small scale Typhoons in the wind tunnel repeatedly and a Freewing model is exactly the same but unconstrained by wind tunnel walls!! With this knowledge I want to bypass all the 'daft' foreplane mixing and do 'a correct job' in the transmitter. How can I get rid of the 'mixing board' on the jet? Are all the servo connectors available individually downstream to plug separately into a 8/10 channel receiver? Cheers in advance.
                                    Is the canard control in the real plane open loop control, or closed loop with feedback from airflow and attitude sensors? If the latter it would be hard to emulate in the model.

Comment

• The overall foreplane setting schedule is a function of mainly AoA & Mach Number, so essentially open loop. There is a special set of settings for takeoff & landing (if you know this you can see the 'odd' foreplane setting undercarriage down). The foreplanes are also used for stabilisation which is closed loop through the quadruplex Flight Control System. My idea would be, with a bit of experimentation, to 'gear' the foreplane (negative) setting directly to pitch stick (which should give a relatively linear relationship to AoA).

Comment

• I am eagerly waiting to see what you come up with and how it works on the model. Good luck and please report back the results. And welcome to the forums.

Comment

• Hello

I plan to buy the 8S version but I need to clarify several points:
                                          • Apart from the 4075-1350Kv (8S) motor, what are the other differences with the 6S version ?
                                          • CG: on Motion website the manuals are the same for the 6S and the 8S, do you confirm that the CG is the same for the 2 versions ?
                                          • What is the minimum and maximum weight that you recommend for the 2 lipos ?
                                          • how do you hold the 2 lipos 4S - 5000mah recommended by Motion in the compartment 70mm wide and 55mm high (as indicated in the manual) ? Do you confirm these actual sizes of the lipo compartment ?
                                          In advance Thank you for your answers

regards
                                          Olivier

Comment

Working...
                                          X