Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine's all done - steering gyro installed, RX gyro set on master gain, throws/expo set, everything seems to work - reverse, airbrake - all good. Balances a few mm behind CG marks when using twin Coddar, 4s, 6000mah, HV. Just need to hang it up and wait for spring. A foot of snow on my deck in some places, more to come, -33C overnite in 2 days. It's only -20C now.

Comment

• Hi xviper. When you’re done shoveling can I ask what diameter the Spanish rounders are. I’m thinking that when I get mine I will just cover those up with RAF roundels

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTaff View Post
        Hi xviper. When you’re done shoveling can I ask what diameter the Spanish rounders are. I’m thinking that when I get mine I will just cover those up with RAF roundels
        35mm

Comment

• Has anyone mentioned the elephant in the room on how this is the second delta release with a tragically poor designed battery bay that doesn't allow proper cg flexibility on a 5000-6000mAh lipo?

First the Gripen (Which is nose heavy even on 4000 max aft) and now the beloved Eurofighter that we've been waiting for almost a decade to be release.

Now even on a 4000 (Which is unacceptable for a 90mm combo) this plane is severely nose heavy...

How can these planes be released with such a poorly designed battery bay? The builkhead should've been removed or designed around like the original Euro and the EDF could've easily been mounted further aft to avoid this huge issue.

Can we get some insight as to how this was missed from Freewing?

Having to add tailweight to a plane that could've easily been designed properly is just unacceptable considering how much time went into everything else on the plane (Which is beautifully done IMO)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post
            Has anyone mentioned the elephant in the room on how this is the second delta release with a tragically poor designed battery bay that doesn't allow proper cg flexibility on a 5000-6000mAh lipo?

First the Gripen (Which is nose heavy even on 4000 max aft) and now the beloved Eurofighter that we've been waiting for almost a decade to be release.

Now even on a 4000 (Which is unacceptable for a 90mm combo) this plane is severely nose heavy...

How can these planes be released with such a poorly designed battery bay? The builkhead should've been removed or designed around like the original Euro and the EDF could've easily been mounted further aft to avoid this huge issue.

Having to add tailweight to a plane that could've easily been designed properly is just unacceptable considering how much time went into everything else on the plane (Which is beautifully done IMO)
            The so-called "test pilots" should have figured out the likely CG range customers would want and provided feedback before the design was cast in concrete (or foam).
            But they make slick marketing videos, which I suppose is more important.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned the elephant in the room on how this is the second delta release with a tragically poor designed battery bay that doesn't allow proper cg flexibility on a 5000-6000mAh lipo?

Something is not quite right. I'm going fly this with twin 6000mah, 4s batteries weighing a total of about >900g and with both batteries pushed as far back as possible, I can achieve a CG of about 10mm AFT of the marks on the wing. If you use a 6s battery weighing less thatn 900g, it should not be nose heavy. When I use my twin SMC HV, I'll relocate the control box and slide one battery on it's edge up into that spot OR I'll just use that supplied cylindrical weight they provided.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

The so-called "test pilots" should have figured out the likely CG range customers would want and provided feedback before the design was cast in concrete (or foam).
                But they make slick marketing videos, which I suppose is more important.
                Absolutely... Maybe good test pilots/tuners are becoming harder to find?

Send me planes... I'll let you know REALLY quick lol

I just can't believe this made it to final mold with such a critical issue like battery placement/cg flexibility... Insane.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  Something is not quite right. I'm going fly this with twin 6000mah, 4s batteries weighing a total of about >900g and with both batteries pushed as far back as possible, I can achieve a CG of about 10mm AFT of the marks on the wing. If you use a 6s battery weighing less thatn 900g, it should not be nose heavy. When I use my twin SMC HV, I'll relocate the control box and slide one battery on it's edge up into that spot OR I'll just use that supplied cylindrical weight they provided.
                  Yes, that's very strange because I've seen this plane be flown with a small 690g 6s pack all the way back to the bulkhead WITH 20g of tailweight and it's extremely nose heavy (Considering the true cg will likely be about 15-25mm aft of the manual)

Comment

Yes, that's very strange because I've seen this plane be flown with a small 690g 6s pack all the way back to the bulkhead WITH 20g of tailweight and it's extremely nose heavy (Considering the true cg will likely be about 15-25mm aft of the manual)
                    Do you have the 6s? I have the 8s. Perhaps the 8s fan is heavier? I haven't checked the weight of the 2 fans so can't say what the difference is. In this recent video from Arthur RC, you can see where his battery is (later in the video) - right at the rearmost part of the tray, up against that rear lip and the plane seems to fly quite well (aside from him chopping the centerburner light wires). He's using 70C CNHL LiPo, which tend to be on the heavy end of the scale for batteries in any size range.

Comment

• He said it was balanced 20mm aft of the marks and very nose heavy.

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

Comment

• The 8S has a much larger motor and a metal fan.

Comment

• That may explain why I don't seem to have a problem with balancing this plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                            He said it was balanced 20mm aft of the marks and very nose heavy.

Yes, that's the video I was watching... It might need 30mm tbh? I really want to test one myself, but I don't want to buy it if that's the case haha!

The 8s fan is a BRICK and likely why it's not a severely nose heavy compared to the lighter 6s version.

Comment

• Looks like some "Kallend's Heavy Nozzles" are called for.

Comment

• Just in case someone can't wait. 55mm exhaust diameter. Three different versions:
                                1. Simple Replacement
                                2. Lengthened thrust tube. The hollow can be filled with additional ballast. "Foam bearer" on fuselage needs to be removed.
                                3. Solid version."Foam bearer" on fuselage needs to be removed.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...hter-v3-nozzle
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Some cosmetic parts for the wingtip pods (DASS on the FSA) that Freewing omitted. I'll upload these as well when there's sufficient interest.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
                                    Just in case someone can't wait. 55mm exhaust diameter. Three different versions:
                                    1. Simple Replacement
                                    2. Lengthened thrust tube. The hollow can be filled with additional ballast. "Foam bearer" on fuselage needs to be removed.
                                    3. Solid version."Foam bearer" on fuselage needs to be removed.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...hter-v3-nozzle
                                    Thanks - saves me a bunch of effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Thanks - saves me a bunch of effort.
                                      You're welcome. Check these out, I'm glad to make changes when needed!

Here's another thought regarding tail weight. It's possible to add ballast into that tail body between the nozzles. I've already designed a slightly nicer looking replacement for the "drag chute hatch". I will make the entire rear-looking face as a 3DP part, so it would be easy to remove foam inside, add ballast and close it again with that part.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6425.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	371715

Comment

• Okay Motion, your site still says mid March. I consider early to be days 1-10, mid 10-20… that’s 11 days away so you should have an idea of when the ship comes in and when you’ll get it. Time for an update!

Comment

• Hi all, is the 8s worth it? I would think the added weight would negate any gain. just curious. I plan on painting mine as I did my V2 that's still on the line and flying it is 8s as well. but I didn't gain much converting to 8s on the V2.

Comment

Working...
                                          X