X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    I have also seen someone use med CA one tiny drop at a time. It took him weeks to complete. Once painted, looked like the real deal. Not a foamy
    The best non flush rivets are made using RC 56 canopy glue and a riveting tool which is basically a small plastic bottle with a large gauge hypodermic needle attached. You thin the glue with water and squeeze tiny droplets of the mixture out through the needle. As it forms a droplet at the end of the needle, you lightly touch it to the plane's surface which forms a small bead of glue. It takes some practice to make them consistent but after they dry, they look really cool. This technique was used for years for scale planes. Brad

Comment

• My Pennsylvania Black Hogs (graphics by Callie) is ready to fly. Now just waiting for the winds to die down!

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

The best non flush rivets are made using RC 56 canopy glue and a riveting tool which is basically a small plastic bottle with a large gauge hypodermic needle attached. You thin the glue with water and squeeze tiny droplets of the mixture out through the needle. As it forms a droplet at the end of the needle, you lightly touch it to the plane's surface which forms a small bead of glue. It takes some practice to make them consistent but after they dry, they look really cool. This technique was used for years for scale planes. Brad
        I am going to need to do something like that for the Big Corsair!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Nice job zorkahn! Looks sweet.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

You're all going to need bigger stockings...

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/mo...xt-alpha/page2
            I was going to say, he must have really big feet... LOL

By the way, is "bigger stockings" another clue? After all, we already needed REALLY big stockings for the A-10, so the new offerings are even bigger? ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

It wasn't an "oh crap" moment. The original idea was to leave the spinner unpainted, simplifying the mass production process. When some people chimed in that they wanted painted spinners, we looked into it, and found that the plastic of the spinner hub did not play nice with the paint we were using for the foam and other plastic parts (different type). So, instead of being an easy addition to the production process, we had to formulate another paint batch just for those pesky spinners. By the time that was ready and tested and approved for mass production, the first production series had already shipped.

I wagered that y'all would kill me if I held back the first shipments another six weeks just for spinners that you could paint in two minutes, ha ;)

The paint still isn't perfectly adherent on that weird type of plastic, so avoid bird strikes otherwise you'll incur some paint chipping. :)
              Hi, and thanks for all your info that you've provided us, but I have a question, will MRC carry a touch-up paint for this model, or do we go to Lowes and try and match it? Billy:Straight-Face:

Comment

• Originally posted by gravity tester View Post
                For you guys doing the rivets, have a look: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-rub-on-rivets. Chad has been in the scale business a long time.

Wowplanes had something similar but their site is closed for ordering.
                Does he still sell these rivets? I couldn't seem to find where he's selling these.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post

Does he still sell these rivets? I couldn't seem to find where he's selling these.

Thanks
                  Yes he does. I just got an email from him and he said he does. I told him what I wanted them for, didn't know the size and quantity needed. I am waiting on him to get back with me...

Comment

• I don't know if he would mind his email on a public forum or not but here's his website at least:

www.cwvmodels.com
                    Scale Model Design & Construction
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

I am going to need to do something like that for the Big Corsair!
                      The technique I described would be more suited to a plane like the Hellcat for those round rivets. The Corsair was mostly flush. However, there is another technique that might be perfect. A piece of brass tubing, something less than 1/8", sharpened on the end and chucked up in a small drill motor. You just put it against the primed surface and spin it a little to get that ring of the rivet. This also takes some practice to avoid putting your autograph on the side of the plane.LOL Another option I've heard of but not used is to put that same tubing in a soldering gun and melt through the primer. Both these would need just a slight ring which will come through in the final paint. Just some ideas to play with. Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

The technique I described would be more suited to a plane like the Hellcat for those round rivets. The Corsair was mostly flush. However, there is another technique that might be perfect. A piece of brass tubing, something less than 1/8", sharpened on the end and chucked up in a small drill motor. You just put it against the primed surface and spin it a little to get that ring of the rivet. This also takes some practice to avoid putting your autograph on the side of the plane.LOL Another option I've heard of but not used is to put that same tubing in a soldering gun and melt through the primer. Both these would need just a slight ring which will come through in the final paint. Just some ideas to play with. Brad
                        Head on over to our Corsair Build Thread...I don't want to hijack the thread... ;) LOL
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Hello all.. first post on these forums. I did try searching (and reading) but didn't see anything. So, here it is:

Received my A-10 from MRC on Monday. Just got it together last night. The canopy is REALLY tight when it is fully installed. I almost couldn't get it off. Had to pry it up with a dull edge. Anybody else?

Overall - incredibly impressed. A couple of small issues with mine:

1) Saggy / wilted AIM fins like others
                          2) One of my pylons had a chunk missing
                          3) Scary tight canopy

Now.... need to find some batteries!

Comment

• A-10 instrument panel if anyone is interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stack2017 View Post
                              Hello all.. first post on these forums. I did try searching (and reading) but didn't see anything. So, here it is:

Received my A-10 from MRC on Monday. Just got it together last night. The canopy is REALLY tight when it is fully installed. I almost couldn't get it off. Had to pry it up with a dull edge. Anybody else?

3) Scary tight canopy

Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I would send a picture of the pylon to MRC tech support, my canopy was very tight at first but is smooth as silk now after several flights. Here's the link to tech support.
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by zorkahn View Post
                                My Pennsylvania Black Hogs (graphics by Callie) is ready to fly. Now just waiting for the winds to die down!
                                Cool livery ;)

TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by Stack2017 View Post
                                  Hello all.. first post on these forums. I did try searching (and reading) but didn't see anything. So, here it is:

3) Scary tight canopy

Yeah encountered similar issues. Join the "modeling" pursuit. Had to work the mylar fins to straighten them out and repair a pylon and the chewed up trailing surface of the vertical stabilizers and paint it. Using temporarily a doubled piece of clear shipping tape protruding 3/8" above the top of the fuselage to assist removal of the canopy. May glue a short loop or a short bind plug with the loop used to lift the canopy up. May end up reinforcing the unprotected area on the fuselage below the canopy, too.

Comment

• Well well well, the day I've been waiting for, A-10 maiden day. Yeehaw! Let me tell ya, this jet didn't disappoint. Sometimes when a new jet is released and it gets good praise about its different characteristics, etc., I buy it and fly it, and don't see what the fuss is about. With this A-10, I'd like to say it's everything I'd hoped it would be and more. For a scale jet, this in my opinion is likely the best Freewing has produced thus far.

I had four flights on it today, one after another. The 80mm inrunner power systems I used push this jet amazingly nice, and good flights are still achieved with throttle management. The thrust is bananas and more than needed for amazing climb-outs, and it manuevars in the air with such grace, as well as authority, as I banked the living heck out of it to see what types of wing flex occurs with the higher loading I'm at (the inrunner systems weight quite a bit more than the stock units, and my 910g 6S 5000mah 65C batteries are very heavy), but it handled it like a champ. The takeoff distance is also something that pleasantly surprised me, as it was much shorter than anticipated even without takeoff flaps.

Each flight was without ordnance (that's for the second outing to see how it changes flight characteristics for comparison purposes), and it cut through the 10mph winds like butter. Just a tad below the recommended low throws on ailerons were perfect for me and still provided plenty of throw for quick rolls, the medium elevator throws I preferred for aerobatics and landing (plenty of throw for me to hold it steady on approach and touchdown), and the rudder at a tad below the recommended low rates was great for the air and for taxing (as long as you don't need to make very tight turns, but it's plenty of gradual turns and smooth on takeoff). This jet is border line trainer like in the air with its predictability. At my CG, even rolling it to an inverted state flies great without too much elevator pressure. There was no change in pitch with throttle response and that's a huge testament to the great engineering of the model. It can cruise very well at half throttle, and looks awesome performing its hog battle maneuvers. Personally, I like the look and sound of the 12-blade inrunner power systems better than the stock units, let alone the added power is nice to have on tap. The whistle that occurs at power off dives is just phenomenal, and the energy it carries to do so is mind boggling.

Each landing was done with flaps, half flaps on the first flight, and full flaps for all the rest of the flights. My full flaps were per manual specs, and half was greater than the manual. I personally noticed no drastic pitch changes at my CG of 84mm when flaps were deployed. The plane comes in MUCH slower than it seems it could/would. I tested slow flight in "dirty" condition and it takes a crazy low speed to get mushy control feel, so I knew this plane would be safe to be landed at slower speed than one may think. I was very impressed with the glide slope it held steadily with a little throttle, nose up, and guided to the ground.

What more can I say, honestly, as I'm really happy with the money spent and feel I got every bit worth of it. The Avanti I absolutely love and it's my top favorite jet with the Stinger, but for favorite scale jet, this A-10 is by far my preferred one out of the entire Freewing line-up. I wouldn't even flinch at the All Up Weight of it since the way it flies is so amazing that the weight becomes a lost memory. These days I'm much more strict on the planes I purchase because if I don't enjoy flying it much, it'll become a dust collector. This jet hit the mark, and will be flown A LOT, a whole lot. So, thanks again Freewing and Motion (as well as additional testers) for knocking this one out of the park.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1446.JPG Views:	1 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	84141Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1443.JPG Views:	1 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	84142Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1435.JPG Views:	1 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	84143Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1437.JPG Views:	1 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	84139Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1441.JPG Views:	1 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	84140

Comment

• Nice to hear you had a successful maiden and subsequent flights T-CAT. Do you know what your AUW is out of curiosity? It has to be lighter than mine...LOL I too am blown away at just how well it handles the additional weight. I would be ready for a maiden on my 90mm version if it weren't for a faulty ESC. I am getting that sorted out now and hope to be able to report something very soon. In the meantime I am taking the opportunity to do a quick an simple paint job on it. I hope to maiden it Wednesday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170630_215404.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	84147

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                        Nice to hear you had a successful maiden and subsequent flights T-CAT. Do you know what your AUW is out of curiosity? It has to be lighter than mine...LOL I too am blown away at just how well it handles the additional weight. I would be ready for a maiden on my 90mm version if it weren't for a faulty ESC. I am getting that sorted out now and hope to be able to report something very soon. In the meantime I am taking the opportunity to do a quick an simple paint job on it. I hope to maiden it Wednesday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170630_215404.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	84147
                                        Thanks! I had a lot of fun, and this jet speaks for itself.

Good luck on the flights with the 90mm. It should be amazing. Ugh, that stinks to hear about the ESC trouble. I've had a faulty one too, and likely everyone has at one time or another if they have a good chunk of time in the hobby.

I'm not sure of the AUW but those Freewing 80mm 12-blade fan with inrunner motors have about the same weight as the Freewing 90mm 12-blade outrunner systems, and then I have two 910g batteries after that, then some telemetry equipment. I'll have to weigh the jet soon, so we can compare accurately.

Comment

• So iam working on my a-10 and another project at the same time.. you cant walk in my hobby room :) but with all the photos going around i thought i would put one of mine up :) i dont have the detailing skills alot of you have and i have a long way to go but iam trying anyways... oh and colt pilot hope you grandson does well with all this

Comment

Working...
                                          X