X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thomas W View Post
    For the guys that are using the nerf whistles, are you using 4 (2 in each pod) or 2 whistles (1 set in 1 pod)?
    Thomas, I used the frisbee whistles. Two per engine. Some people say they aren't as good as the football type whistle? I can only speak for what I've done! And I think mine sounds good with four frisbee whistles.
    Jim.

Comment

For the guys that are using the nerf whistles, are you using 4 (2 in each pod) or 2 whistles (1 set in 1 pod)?
      I am using six, three in each nacelle. I figured that if I was butchering 2 NERF footballs I was going all in. I used the stock lengths of the whistles, except for two I cut one of the long ones to a medium and made a short whistle a little shorter. I arranged the whistles at a more or less 120 degrees from one another, with one whistle placed in the nacelle cover. It sounds way better than without, most noticeable with the plane coming toward you - makes take offs way more scale. There is a weird resonance around 3/4 throttle.. so just trial and error to remove the offending whistle. It sounds more scale with part throttle on a down line instead of just whistles, FWIW. This is a most bang for the buck mod for sure!

Comment

Two in each engine nacell, positioned in the same place as in the build video. I'm using the short and medium whistles instead of the medium and long ones.

it sounds great!

Comment

• Three more flights this week to go with the 3 flights on Wednesday. Today was a fantastic morning, winds were out of nowhere at ZERO mph. :)

Will check what I put back into each battery this week, but I get 3 minutes 40 second of all out redlined flight on this beast leaving them at around 3.75 - 3.8ish. I am getting more and more comfortable flying EDFs with each flight. Throttle is your friend on landing. Fly it to the ground,

I wanted to show my modified travel stand. I lowered the cradle by half and it allows the nacelles to sit right on the long lengthwise bars to allow me to put the wings on without the plane tipping one way or the other. I will be adding a holder for the wing tubes when I go out to Home Depot today to get some mosquito yard killer for today's cookout. I used self tapping screws to hold it together instead of glue. Much easier and looks cooler.

ENJOY THE FOURTH EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• I take it that the Pave Penny pods are being removed from current A-10s? I've seen some photos with the pod gone, but the pylon still in place and a photo of an A-10 in current service with the side of the fuse smooth where the pod had been mounted. I assume the Sniper TGP is taking over those targeting chores. Good to know if I ever break mine off accidentally;-)

Comment

• Guys,

Everyone is talking about wind.. I launched as a TS was coming in and flew in 15mph with gusts to 22mph. The plane shrugs it off, although the downwind leg was quick!

A little breeze down the runway makes landing easier, this plane is great to fly in windy conditions.

Comment

• And so the ol' saying of bigger flies better;)

I just can't have a myriad of warbirds @ 80"+ spans to store:(
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by 0nemildot View Post
                  Guys,

Everyone is talking about wind.. I launched as a TS was coming in and flew in 15mph with gusts to 22mph. The plane shrugs it off, although the downwind leg was quick!

A little breeze down the runway makes landing easier, this plane is great to fly in windy conditions.
                  Onemildot, you are correct. A couple of weeks ago three of us at my field had probably the first flight of three A-10s at one time. It was gusty from 18 - 25 MPH. The wind was coming straight down the runway. We had a blast. These things handles the wind like nobody's business.

Comment

• + 1 on wind. Must have had North Texans in mind when they designed this beaute. 10-15 gusting to 20 is the summer norm here. Under 10 is luxury. Handles wind as if to tell you: " Okay, bring it, snowflake" Grass field ops ? Wind? No bad tendencies?

Scratching my head as to how Motion/ Freewing can ever top this one.

Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Pretty sure they have 2 or 3 going right now.
                      As far as toppings.....We will see when its baked lol !

Plane

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	20170704_144515.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	84630 I just maidened my 90mm A-10 at Tired Iron Aviation's July 4th Fly-in. George got video of it. Wow! I flew it on 2 - 5S Roaring Top 6600mA 70C batteries, Freewing 1550kV - 12blade 90mm fans, Cobra 150A ESC's, approx. 88mm CG, 14lbs. 11ozs. AUW, full ordnance with my more scale looking engine exhausts. So smooth, plenty of power, rock solid, quiet and very scale flight with full flaps on landing. It needed some up elevator trim in both flight modes so I will remove the down I had preprogrammed into it, re-center my trims and see how it behaves. I had the timer set for a conservative 3:30 and the packs had 45% left on them. I flew it at around 1/2 to 3/4 stick for most of the flight. I have reset my timer for 4 minutes and will see how how much is left in the packs after that. Awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by abeeb View Post

Hi Tom, I like your carrying stand, especially since it holds the wings. Do you have the pipe and fitting piece lengths, basically the plan and parts list, for the newer version that would allow for all the ordnances installed? Also, it would appear that with this configuration, you could have the landing gear down as well...?
                          Great couple days of flying finally. Made several flights on the A-10. Great plane everyone already knows that. Lands great with some power, chop power before wheels touch down and it will bounce.
                          Flew the Avanti 4 times and put a couple flights on the F-7 Tigercat. All fantastic planes. Thanks to all the folks at MRC. Can't wait to see whats next...

Here are the dimensions for the carry/assembly/storage stand for my A-10. Note the change to 20'' tubes for the wing uprights to allow the ordinance to stay attached. This one was 1/2'' pipe except the wing tube holder which was 3/4". I may make the next one out of 3/4", but not necessary. I would recommend assembling and fitting the plane and marking alignment of all elbows and T's before gluing. The cement takes hold real quick. Any questions please feel free to message me.
                          Also, yes you can leave gear down with these dimensions...

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20170704_144515.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	84630 I just maidened my 90mm A-10 at Tired Iron Aviation's July 4th Fly-in. George got video of it. Wow! I flew it on 2 - 5S Roaring Top 6600mA 70C batteries, Freewing 1550kV - 12blade 90mm fans, Cobra 150A ESC's, approx. 88mm CG, 14lbs. 11ozs. AUW, full ordnance with my more scale looking engine exhausts. So smooth, plenty of power, rock solid, quiet and very scale. It needed some up elevator trim in both flight modes so I will remove the down I had preprogrammed into it, re-center my trims and see how it behaves. I had the timer Set for a conservative 3:30 and the packs had 45% left on them. I flew it at around 1/2 to 3/4 stick for most of the flight. I have reset my timer for 4 minutes and will see how how much is left in the packs after that. Awesome!
                            RCjetdude, what's the timing on your ESCs? ~3300mAh consumption in 3.5 minutes on the 1550kv 90mm 12B... that sounds about right. The 1550kv 90mm 12Bs we tested on Admiral 5000s flew the bird for 3.5 minutes coming down at 30%. I'd stretch it out to 4:15 in 5-10mph. #GliderMode. Your 6600s should be more than comfortable with 4:00 timer.
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

RCjetdude, what's the timing on your ESCs? ~3300mAh consumption in 3.5 minutes on the 1550kv 90mm 12B... that sounds about right. The 1550kv 90mm 12Bs we tested on Admiral 5000s flew the bird for 3.5 minutes coming down at 30%. I'd stretch it out to 4:15 in 5-10mph. #GliderMode. Your 6600s should be more than comfortable with 4:00 timer.
                              Hey Alpha, the ESC programming card is set to Auto with HI and Low being possible selections as well. Each fan was pulling 80A at WOT on 5S during testing. I was going to fly it again but a decent cross wind has kicked up so we'll see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post

Great couple days of flying finally. Made several flights on the A-10. Great plane everyone already knows that. Lands great with some power, chop power before wheels touch down and it will bounce.
                                Flew the Avanti 4 times and put a couple flights on the F-7 Tigercat. All fantastic planes. Thanks to all the folks at MRC. Can't wait to see whats next...

Here are the dimensions for the carry/assembly/storage stand for my A-10. Note the change to 20'' tubes for the wing uprights to allow the ordinance to stay attached. This one was 1/2'' pipe except the wing tube holder which was 3/4". I may make the next one out of 3/4", but not necessary. I would recommend assembling and fitting the plane and marking alignment of all elbows and T's before gluing. The cement takes hold real quick. Any questions please feel free to message me.
                                Perfect! Thanks. I really appreciate everyone sharing their ideas and creativity. Someday, if I ever get an idea, I'll share it as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post

​​​​​​
                                  Nice work

Comment

• Maiden report. What can I say that hasn't been said so far? It flies like a dream! Everyone at the field was in awe at how realistic she looks. Two Nerf Vortex whistles were more than enough for me (one in each nacelle). 3:30 was about all I could get out of my 5000mah 6S set up. Take off, short flight with very little trim adjustment and it was time to grease her in. Recharge and repeat. No issues with bouncing at all. The whistles are awesome. I'll upload some videos when I get to work tomorrow where there is a good internet connection

Comment

• 2 more weeks till maiden. My devil graphic was to big do to my mismeasument. So remeasured everything and send it off to Callie. Bummer:(

Comment

• went totally Rogue on this project.
                                        Plus gray planes are hard to see for this old man
                                        It must be a USAF theme this year for me.
                                        Sorry for the bad pictures , but I have LED shop lights and I can't get a clear pic anymore.
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	19756360_1333656233336380_2091237754052507836_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	213.5 KB ID:	84808Click image for larger version  Name:	19665618_1333656410003029_7432594790245482683_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	150.8 KB ID:	84807Click image for larger version  Name:	20170704_222957.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	84711 Sorry guys, I
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20170704_213235.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	84672Click image for larger version  Name:	20170704_143041.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	84674Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-03-13-19-06.png Views:	1 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	84675
                                        BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
                                          Sorry guys, I went totally Rogue on this project.
                                          Plus gray planes are hard to see for this old man
                                          It must be a USAF theme this year for me. Click image for larger version Name:	20170704_213235.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	84672Click image for larger version Name:	20170704_143041.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	84674Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-03-13-19-06.png Views:	1 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	84675
                                          That looks awesome. No one will ever get that confused with any other A-10 at the field. Good to see something a little different. Great job.

Comment

Working...
                                          X