Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I think I'd rather see the pin break instead of the gear pulling ripping out. Still stinks though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xtraflyr View Post
      Well I think I'd rather see the pin break instead of the gear pulling ripping out. Still stinks though.
      I agree 100%... Just making a point that the landing was not a hard landing and if it was the foam and glue should break before steel...

Comment

• yup... i too have been bit by the bounce no gear damage but it did crack the nose. i've got a little more slop in the nose gear but that also happens from bumpy turf. this really needs a trailing link nose gear set up. i can't quite get my head around how friggin stupid it was to have developed this model with a trailing link nose gear that is pictured on the bloody box they send it in, then turned around and abandon it for a dam oleo. i bought this to have a good grass field model ready to go and they buggered it. i know they are making up some gear and i really think they owe us a deal for that gum knot thinking they pulled here.

Comment

• Originally posted by porkpilot View Post
          yup... i too have been bit by the bounce no gear damage but it did crack the nose. i've got a little more slop in the nose gear but that also happens from bumpy turf. this really needs a trailing link nose gear set up. i can't quite get my head around how friggin stupid it was to have developed this model with a trailing link nose gear that is pictured on the bloody box they send it in, then turned around and abandon it for a dam oleo. i bought this to have a good grass field model ready to go and they buggered it. i know they are making up some gear and i really think they owe us a deal for that gum knot thinking they pulled here.
          I wonder if the trailing link would be interchangeable?

Comment

• Got my first 3 flights on it finally with no ordnance (only because I forgot to put them in the car LOL). Holy crap this thing is fast when it's clean! Don't get me wrong, it's still no slouch fully loaded, but I think I'll be doing more flights without ordnance now.
            Pat

Comment

• If the gear pin breaks before it tears out the foam and mount, then I'd say it's well engineered and I'm good with it. You can only fix foam so many times before all strength is lost. Gear pins are easily replaceable (granted they're in stock).

Also, I'd say each of our assessments of a hard landing is subjective. If I break or bend something, then I consider it a hard landing. However, I've landed my A-10 harder than my F-16 from time-to-time...no damage to the A-10, but bent a nose strut on the F-16. So by my own assessment...subjective.

Look at most commercial grade equipment where it's subject to extreme conditions under a varying load...there are "shear" pins. A shear pin shears under an extreme load to prevent damage to other critical components in the system.

So maybe we shouldn't call these gear pins, but instead, shear pins...intended to break to prevent damage to the foam or mount. Then consider, it doesn't take much to damage the foam, so you should expect the shear pin to break more readily, and definitely before tearing out the foam or mount.

Now, I'd be nice to get more shear pins in stock so we can minimize our ground time following a hard landing.

Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by brrzee View Post
                Hell everyone. I just bought this Jet. Cant wait to get it assembled and flying. I will be using a Futaba T8FG radio along with 6 channel Fasst Receiver. Going with x2 Gen Ace 5000 mah 60c batteries up front. Does this sound like an ok setup for this jet.

Cheers fellow A10 fliers
                Your choice of setup will work fine sir, using almost the same setup myself, only I'm using the Futaba 7C with a 617rx and I'm using the same batteries as you have, I also made a video on the 8th flight so you can see how it handles. Here is a picture of my two battery placement that I used for my maiden and I still have them there after about twelve flights now, CG is around 80mm.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
                  This was exciting to say the least. Close and personal to the real deal.
                  So jealous for such an opportunity. Maybe one day i can be so lucky to visit the 163rd Blacksnakes in the same way. What was really a treat at the first Jet Jam in Muncie, I woke up to the distinctive whine of GETF-34's overhead. I looked up and hogs were in the pattern doing approaches into Muncie and they were the Blacksnakes. SO needless to say i really enjoyed flying my 20lb foam Hog
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sam51401; Aug 12, 2017, 03:26 PM. Reason: Added ColtPilots pic again, just awesome photo opp.

Comment

• Hey Alpha!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU again for designing such a great aircraft with Freewing!

As you know from these posts about "the bounce" and related gear issues, you can't please everyone with the final production release. I personally have no issues with this aircraft, however, I know you're working hard to resolve the aforementioned issues others have come across.

Therefore, I just wanted to THANK YOU again for your hard work and dedication to bring us these outstanding model aircraft; and your efforts to make them even better.

Please keep up the great work!

Sean

Comment

• Hey Steve, you may need another tank!! LOL Click image for larger version

Name:	DualTanks.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	92313

Comment

• Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                        Hey Steve, you may need another tank!! LOL Click image for larger version

I have two F-16 tanks that I don't use on my 90mm F-16, hmmmm wonder how they would look, I like the looks of those tanks..........:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                          Hey Steve, you may need another tank!! LOL Click image for larger version

Yeah, I have seen the twin tanks but I am quite content with just one thank you very much... LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170811_220218.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	92321

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                            Got my first 3 flights on it finally with no ordnance (only because I forgot to put them in the car LOL). Holy crap this thing is fast when it's clean! Don't get me wrong, it's still no slouch fully loaded, but I think I'll be doing more flights without ordnance now.
                            I notice the exact same thing. Some people have said they don't notice a difference with or without ordnance installed, but I can't see how it's not noticeable. It flies at lower throttle settings clean to match the same performance at higher throttle settings loaded. I fly without ordnance now, only the pylons still installed.

Comment

• Sean,

You nailed it! It's a shear pin. 25 flights, all w/ greased landings and the 26th ? I finally bounced her by coming in too hot. Once she bounces, she becomes " Bouncing Betty ."

Bunny hopped twice and ended up in the tall grass at end of grass runway. Pin sheared off and I'm actually thankful for that.

Not sure a trailing link link would have made much difference. Slow down.

What reall irks me is that a $3.00 part that costs $5.00 to ship grounds a $600.00 airplane.

I used to live in the Chicago burbs near Barrington. There are literally hundreds of tool and die and Swiss screw machine shops they could go to locally who could supply a bin load of hardened 5mm pins with milled flats. Not something they need to source from China.

Just saying.

Hawk
                              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• You know, I ordered some 5mm replacement shafts to replace the one in my Radian XL glider motor so I could run an Espirit spinner and Aeronaut CF folder. Why not just order some shafts and spend 5 minutes with a file or dremel to flat spot it?

https://www.servocity.com/5mm-stainl...ision-shafting

Comment

• Great idea Thomas! Thanks for the link.
                                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas W View Post
                                    You know, I ordered some 5mm replacement shafts to replace the one in my Radian XL glider motor so I could run an Espirit spinner and Aeronaut CF folder. Why not just order some shafts and spend 5 minutes with a file or dremel to flat spot it?

What would you do about the groove for the c-clip?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

What would you do about the groove for the c-clip?
                                      That can be done with a Dremel (or similar) using a thin cutoff wheel. Chuck the 5 mm stock in a drill to spin it while lightly engaging the cutoff wheel that is also being spun by the dremel. Or if you have access to a lathe it's even easier.
                                      My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas W View Post
                                        You know, I ordered some 5mm replacement shafts to replace the one in my Radian XL glider motor so I could run an Espirit spinner and Aeronaut CF folder. Why not just order some shafts and spend 5 minutes with a file or dremel to flat spot it?

Those guys are going to wonder why all of a sudden that part is in high demand and then sold out.............LOL

Anyway, found some tanks and mounts, kind of test fitted it all but it will require a small amount of foam carving, nothing on the A-10 though, just on the tanks and mounts, should I go for it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1265[1].JPG
Views:	417
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	92346Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1266[1].JPG
Views:	402
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	92347

Comment

• Hey all,
                                          Sad story with a potentially happy ending for someone. To get to the punch line, I pancaked my jet today and it is not repairable. Slightly overcast, 8-10 mph. crosswind on an otherwise beautiful August Indiana day. Up until now, I had logged over 30 flights on my FW A-10, each one a thrill. Today started no differently, 2 awesome flights and both greased landings drawing semi serious applause from the goofballs in the peanut gallery (same dudes graciously helped me clean up the carnage). Flight 3 was a normal take off, pointed the jet downwind, flaps up, gear up and time to have some fun as I gain altitude. In the blink of an eye, the jet is inverted and pointed at a 45 degree angle back toward the runway and flopping like sick bass as I tried to regain some semblance of control. To put it mildly, I got behind the jet, lost my orientation in the overcast and failed to keep the airplane in the space between the ground and outer space. I plowed it right side up but hard and flat into a freshly harvested wheat field about 25 yards from the runway. Another 20 feet of so of altitude and I might have had it. I seriously have no clue how the airplane got inverted and sideways on me so quickly. Radio? Wind gust? No idea. I do leave open the possibility that I did something stupid with the sticks or a switch or something but have been scratching my head all day with nothing to show for it but a little less hair. I don't recall making any abrupt control inputs at the time. I was holding slight up elevator to put some space between the airplane and the dirt but nothing out of the ordinary. Throttle was around 75%. What happened after the bird was inverted was totally on me. I was just not prepared for the rapid change of flight path and ran out of skill and luck simultaneously. In the clean up and inspection, all the control surfaces appeared to operate normally.

So I am down but not out. Just hit the "buy" button on a new A-10 from our friends at Motion and plan to go sit in the front yard like a collie and wait for the UPS man. The point in writing this drivel is to let y'all know that I just happen to have some spare parts now. After doing some postmortem testing and counting, I have two full sets of intact ordinance (minus one Sidewinder rail set). I have a complete set of working landing gear (shear pins intact) as they were "up" for the crash, working control board, working BEC, 2 fans, ESC's, servos and lights. Also, the nose cone and gun are in great shape. If anyone is in need of spares for your own repair or project, just shoot me a PM and we'll make it happen. First come first served. Better they go to good use than sit around my shop all mopey.

Cheers,
                                          Dan

PS. Hey Tim, thanks for sharing the good news on Noah. Continued prayers for Noah (and the donor) for a full recovery. So glad that the procedure went well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X