First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grats fellas :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Lane View Post
      I used a damp cotton sock over my hand to mold it over the nose.
      Another kudo to Pete Lane for the damp sock idea to apply the nose art. It took some time and patience, but I was very pleased with the final result.

Next up is the maiden flight!

Comment

• Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post
        Just flew a 7 minute, half throttle, scale flight on the RT 6250/35Cs. Batteries down at average 3.72v. Total time 8:20 taxi out to taxi back on grass.

Gotta find something to do with the extra 2 minutes.LOL

Sean
        That's fantastic Sean. Can't wait to get back in the air and try mine out. My crash was using the 5000's. My plan was to warm up and shake things out for a couple of flights before I stuck those in just in case it really moved the CG dramatically. Turns out I wasn't ready anyway. Ha ha.

Comment

• Putting the FW to bed till the big Air Show the end of the week. So I broke out the FMS A-10 to have some fun. My friend and I were supposed to do a formation flight but he had issues with his so I just flew around. It seemed as though mine had more power than his, as he tried to take off from our grass field, he couldn't get the airspeed up and ended up smacking the ground taking out the gear and messing up the ordnance. A winter project, repairable. A video of my flight from the wing tip.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
            On a side note, I've been noticing different pictures of the snake nose art where the center split decal isn't used, but I'm thinking it's likely because it's so amazingly easy to overlook it. I did myself after installing it, and as I was installing other decals, I noticed the decal sheet has a left over piece of the same color, but just a line. That's what it's likely for, so just wanted to give a heads up in case anyone wants to add that :Cool:. After adding the split, it does look more complete. However, this is STILL an assumption that it's used for that purpose, as I don't actually see any instructions saying to do so, but it's the same gray color and can't see anywhere else it would go. See if you think the same or can find another spot. The line on the decal sheet is placed next a completely different nose art piece, so there's a chance it could go to that, but doesn't seem like it would in any way I can think of.

Here is a picture of the piece on the decal sheet that is installed vertically on the Blacksnakes nose art in the center connecting both the horizontal pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1821.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	91348
            Thanks T-CAT for the heads up on this. I never would have noticed this either, given its strange placement on the decal sheet. Whatever its purpose, after some trimming, I went ahead and used it for the center split decal for the snake, and the nose art now pretty much copies the full scale A-10.

Comment

• BTW, just a postmortem update: I came across something that might have caused the sudden change of flight path on my crash. I am not ready to declare with 100% certainty that this is it, but I have a gut feeling this might have done me in: Doing some tear down and salvage inspection work today and got around to connecting the ailerons and started moving Tx sticks. There was a horrible grinding noise followed by a total lock up on the left aileron servo. I haven't removed and disassembled the servo yet, but will get to it later. Of course it is possible it was hammered in the crash but the probability is low (IMO) since the left wing was virtually damage free. The right wing didn't fare quite as well and the fuse was the most damaged. IF it's not just coincident timing and that servo got a mind of it's own after take off, it would certainly explain the sudden inversion. As to the recovery efforts, I suppose it could have also hampered my flailing attempts but I was so discombobulated the final second or two, it may not have mattered. Onward and upward I guess. Will tear down the servo when time permits. I have to go sit in the front yard and wait for the big brown truck with my new jet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonicman View Post

Thanks T-CAT for the heads up on this. I never would have noticed this either, given its strange placement on the decal sheet. Whatever its purpose, after some trimming, I went ahead and used it for the center split decal for the snake, and the nose art now pretty much copies the full scale A-10.
                You're very welcome! It really does look amazing with that part added to the front center. Excellent job with your nose art decal installation. It looks fantastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by gravity tester View Post
                  BTW, just a postmortem update: I came across something that might have caused the sudden change of flight path on my crash. I am not ready to declare with 100% certainty that this is it, but I have a gut feeling this might have done me in: Doing some tear down and salvage inspection work today and got around to connecting the ailerons and started moving Tx sticks. There was a horrible grinding noise followed by a total lock up on the left aileron servo. I haven't removed and disassembled the servo yet, but will get to it later. Of course it is possible it was hammered in the crash but the probability is low (IMO) since the left wing was virtually damage free. The right wing didn't fare quite as well and the fuse was the most damaged. IF it's not just coincident timing and that servo got a mind of it's own after take off, it would certainly explain the sudden inversion. As to the recovery efforts, I suppose it could have also hampered my flailing attempts but I was so discombobulated the final second or two, it may not have mattered. Onward and upward I guess. Will tear down the servo when time permits. I have to go sit in the front yard and wait for the big brown truck with my new jet.
                  Hey Dan. Sorry to hear about your mishap. When you get your replacement ready to go, give me a heads up and I'll come there and fly with ya.

Ron

Comment

• Originally posted by gravity tester View Post

That's fantastic Sean. Can't wait to get back in the air and try mine out. My crash was using the 5000's. My plan was to warm up and shake things out for a couple of flights before I stuck those in just in case it really moved the CG dramatically. Turns out I wasn't ready anyway. Ha ha.
                    Dan,

Also, so sorry to hear about your mishap. Interested to hear what you find out during your crash investigation.

Sean

Comment

• Okay Gang, so I must be the last guy in the second batch to even start unpacking! It's been wicked hot, and I've been busy with work, but I'm finally getting going on my paint project.

My theory is that step 1 to realism is getting rid of excess material (like at the edges of wings and where the molds meet), and in the case of foam, those pesky "stars" from the injection molding. I've never had the opportunity to trick out a foamie before...they always came ready to go and I wasn't motivated. This one is too good to pass up though!

I decided to start experimenting with the penny pod, and then I went on with the ordinance mounts, and then the nacelles. The leading edge of the nacelles looked like someone put them down while the paint was still wet and then picked them up...the edges were pretty rough. I'm learning about dealing with foam...my history has been with plastic static models. I had some issues with the penny pod, but that was a good time to learn as it is a small project. I have found the key to surviving mistakes is to sand, fill, and then repeat again and again! I got better with the mounts, and then the engine nacelles. I wanted those front edges of the intake to be as smooth as a baby behind, and I think it was worth it!

Here's some documentation, and if anyone else is still getting started on painting, and interested in more, I'll post it on the modification thread! Rob

Comment

• Same here dan. Handled it like a champion tho. ;)

Comment

• Hey Shirty, Great video and kudos to the mention of Noah, (best wishes to him and his family and glad he's doing better)

Had four flights on my A-10 yesterday and the final landing resulted in a mega bounce, the front nose gear pin snapped on the tarmac then scrapped its way to the end of the runway and the plane dug into the grass where it proceeded to undress the front end! damage isn't too bad, bruised ego and all of that plus the front is in three pieces and a lot of the ordinance is bust. Nose gear, light and door are all totalled.
                          I don't know why I didn't 'go around' as I had plenty of battery and could see it wasn't going to be a greaser, pilot error in the fact i was just to committed to landing?!

Comment

• Sorry to hear it mate :-S

Comment

• So what kind of bouncing are we talking about,bouncing a couple feet in the air and coming down on the front gear?

Comment

• Hi Is anyone using a Scorpion Backup Guard with the stock BEC? I noticed they are the same voltage and if you would turn the backup guard on it would activate during flight sooner that it should. Also would having two 5 volt source's plugged into the receiver damage the servos?

Comment

• Originally posted by Xtraflyr View Post
                                  So what kind of bouncing are we talking about,bouncing a couple feet in the air and coming down on the front gear?
                                  if you bottom out the gear it will spring back as a bounce when she's moving.

Comment

So what kind of bouncing are we talking about,bouncing a couple feet in the air and coming down on the front gear?
                                    If you don't throttle up and go around after the first bounce it can bounce as high as six feet on the third bounce. Since I reversed my mains I have had zero bouncing.
                                    TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

It doesn't require a lot of bounce to do quite a bit of damage.

My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Hi there...need input please...would 2 7000mah 30c batteries run this jet

Comment

• Bill,

Amen brother ! 25 perfect landings and then on the 26th, the bounce. Sheet happens but I'm disappointed that there are no parts readiliy available. Grounded until I can get a type C retract.
                                          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                          Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                          I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Working...
                                          X