X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xtraflyr View Post
    Thanks guys! I'll get some and add it to the fuse.

Is there any way to get the slop out of the nose gear? After a couple bounce landings,it loosened it up a bit.
    There was a bunch of posts about this, earlier in the thread. Look back to post# 4230, 4232, and 4237 to get started

...and I think there was some discussion about this in the "A10 modifications" thread as well.
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Xtraflyr View Post
      Thanks guys! I'll get some and add it to the fuse.

Is there any way to get the slop out of the nose gear? After a couple bounce landings,it loosened it up a bit.
      There is another mod that might do the trick. Top Gun did this mod on the Avanti S and I think it could translate over to the A-10 easily and might save alot of nose gear pins as well.

Posted on the Avanti thread by Squawker Top Gun: Here are some closer looks of the mod to the nose gear that I made. Everything is painted to match as close as I can get it. The doors close just as they did before the mod. No one will see the mod unless you flip it over and show them. I kept the mod work below the edge of the foam on each side. This mod did not effect my CG, still flies the same with the battery placed in its same location. I may have spent an hour in making the two parts that I used for this add-on. I can post more photos if needed, just leave a post to let me know.
      Cheers!!! and Blue Skies to ya........

6 Photos

Comment

• T-CAT! Sweet!! Looks outstanding!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          I agree totally with what TMD said. Certainly optional but easy to do so it's up to you. I used a 5mm square CF tube because it is what I had readily available. 2 pieces about 15" long each but I think others have used 6mm square or round tube as well.
          Thanks for the feedback on the rods guys! They were out of stock before, but I've ordered them now. Still painting and waiting for replacement gear! Rob

Comment

• Could use round rods too. Headsuprc has pretty good prices . OOS on the square rods. $2.50 shipping is always a good thing: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Carbon-F...und_c_282.html

Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
            Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
            I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• You can use a carbon fiber arrow shaft too..... For those of you who bowhunt!! :-)

Comment

• Good point Hardway ! Wally World has them for cheap.
                Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                  My Freewing A-10 90mm (using Freewing 12-blade fans with 1550kv outrunner motors) EDF jet is almost ready to go. I have to solder up the Freewing 130A ESC's and finish some small things here and there. Below are some pictures of the painting and weathering. I wasn't sure the weathering would look good. Right after its new paint job and shinny clean surface, it looked too much like a toy. The weathering toned it down well and looks more realistic now. The bottom of the jet is still gray on purpose for a little color contrast in hopes of improving orientation, although it doesn't necessarily need it in my opinion.
                  In my mind I posted how good your jet looks T-Cat but that didn't make it onto the interweb somehow so here it is, belatedly. She's a beauty! :Cool:
                  Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogo View Post

In my mind I posted how good your jet looks T-Cat but that didn't make it onto the interweb somehow so here it is, belatedly. She's a beauty! :Cool:
                    Tom
                    Thanks Tom and Aros! Truly appreciate it. I'll add some little things here and there to it down the road, but it's pretty much a done project.

Comment

• Awesome time at the air show.

Comment

• RCJetDude,

Was wondering if you installed the A3. If so, could you post a pic of your layout of where you mounted it? Kinda lost on a good position.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
                          Awesome time at the air show.
                          I love that Red Tail Mustang!

Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

There is another mod that might do the trick. Top Gun did this mod on the Avanti S and I think it could translate over to the A-10 easily and might save alot of nose gear pins as well.

Posted on the Avanti thread by Squawker Top Gun: Here are some closer looks of the mod to the nose gear that I made. Everything is painted to match as close as I can get it. The doors close just as they did before the mod. No one will see the mod unless you flip it over and show them. I kept the mod work below the edge of the foam on each side. This mod did not effect my CG, still flies the same with the battery placed in its same location. I may have spent an hour in making the two parts that I used for this add-on. I can post more photos if needed, just leave a post to let me know.
                            Cheers!!! and Blue Skies to ya........

6 Photos
                            I saw this mod earlier. I copied the idea and made a similar reinforcement on my Mig-21, also shimmed the gear to raise the nose a bit . Haven't flown it since the mod, but I have high hopes for it. If it works out OK I plan to do the same on my A-10, if I ever get around to getting it done.

Comment

Just ordered a pair of the disc's for the white strobes. Going to redo what I installed. Thanks for the info.

Tim T

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post

Just ordered a pair of the disc's for the white strobes. Going to redo what I installed. Thanks for the info.

Tim T
                                Not a problem Tim. Glad to be of service. I look forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Comment

My Freewing A-10 90mm (using Freewing 12-blade fans with 1550kv outrunner motors) EDF jet is almost ready to go. I have to solder up the Freewing 130A ESC's and finish some small things here and there. Below are some pictures of the painting and weathering. I wasn't sure the weathering would look good. Right after its new paint job and shinny clean surface, it looked too much like a toy. The weathering toned it down well and looks more realistic now. The bottom of the jet is still gray on purpose for a little color contrast in hopes of improving orientation, although it doesn't necessarily need it in my opinion.
                                  T-CAT... it looks really good. You have done an outstanding job on it. Have you installed cap packs in the nacelles for your setup? Reason I ask is I just lost both ESC's in my 90mm Blacksnakes and I am trying to figure out if it was the ESC's or something else. I have cap packs on mine of 6 caps each of the same rating as the caps on the ESC's and they seem fine but the caps on both ESC's spewed and one stopped working altogether. Fortunately there was no loss of the aircraft and I am in the process of replacing the ESC's which simply could have gotten too hot but I have not heard of anyone else having any problems. I was using Cobra 150A ESC's and am swapping them out with Gekko 125A ESC's. I had one and had to order another which will be here Friday. I checked the amp draw on the one I installed and on 6S the 1750kV 12b fan was pulling right at 100 amps. I must admit the whole thing has me just a little rattled.

Comment

T-CAT... it looks really good. You have done an outstanding job on it. Have you installed cap packs in the nacelles for your setup? Reason I ask is I just lost both ESC's in my 90mm Blacksnakes and I am trying to figure out if it was the ESC's or something else. I have cap packs on mine of 6 caps each of the same rating as the caps on the ESC's and they seem fine but the caps on both ESC's spewed and one stopped working altogether. Fortunately there was no loss of the aircraft and I am in the process of replacing the ESC's which simply could have gotten too hot but I have not heard of anyone else having any problems. I was using Cobra 150A ESC's and am swapping them out with Gekko 125A ESC's. I had one and had to order another which will be here Friday. I checked the amp draw on the one I installed and on 6S the 1750kV 12b fan was pulling right at 100 amps. I must admit the whole thing has me just a little rattled.
                                    Ugh, I am sorry to hear that, as I was worried about this as well. I am using two new Freewing 130A ESC's but with Castle Cap Packs attached, one on each ESC as close as possible to the ESC's. Once I solder them up and get them running, I will be sure to test the temparture of each ESC under ground operation, then take a temperature test again upon landing after the first flight. It sounds like you are using the 1550kv motor on the Freewing 90mm EDF with 12-blade fan. I am using the same EDF/motor combo. Seeing the cap packs give out must have been uncomfortable for sure. What gauge wiring is on the ESC battery leads of the Cobra's?

With 30 inch long power leads on the ESC's, I didn't feel comfortable not including Castle Cap packs. Other caps can be purchased cheap, but I like how Castle has them organized and with a simple method of soldering the wires to the posts on the Castle Cap Pack board. I'm hoping these work out and live a long life in the jet. I will likely be keeping the jet higher and close by for the first flights for safety in case both ESC's or one of them give out.

Comment

Ugh, I am sorry to hear that, as I was worried about this as well. I am using two new Freewing 130A ESC's but with Castle Cap Packs attached, one on each ESC as close as possible to the ESC's. Once I solder them up and get them running, I will be sure to test the temparture of each ESC under ground operation, then take a temperature test again upon landing after the first flight. It sounds like you are using the 1550kv motor on the Freewing 90mm EDF with 12-blade fan. I am using the same EDF/motor combo. Seeing the cap packs give out must have been uncomfortable for sure. What gauge wiring were on the ESC battery leads on the Cobra's?

With 30 inch long power leads on the ESC's, I didn't feel comfortable not including Castle Cap packs. Other caps can be purchased cheap, but like how Castle has them organized and with a simple method of soldering the wires to the posts on the Castle Cap Pack board. I'm hoping these work out and live a long life in the jet. I will likely be keeping the jet higher and close by for the first flights for safety in case both ESC's or one of them give out.
                                      My cap packs are fine it is the caps on the ESC's that gave it up. Yes, I am using the 1550kV motors... my bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170823_194819.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	93965

The Cobra ESC's have 12 ga. wire on the leads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170823_195921.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	93966

Comment

My cap packs are fine it is the caps on the ESC's that gave it up. Yes, I am using the 1550kV motors... my bad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170823_194819.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	93965

The Cobra ESC's have 12 ga. wire on the leads.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170823_195921.jpg Views:	1 Size:	141.1 KB ID:	93966

Awe gotcha. The caps on the ESC gave way. I wonder if those ESC's are overrated. They look to be about the same size as a Hobbywing 100A, or is the picture just making it seem that way? Maybe they are suited for applications under 100A, although these 1550kv motors are usually in the 100-110A range, so not terribly far from that territory. However, that still may have taxed it too much if the ESC's are truly overrated. The 12 gauge wiring also makes me wonder if the Cobra ESC's truly are rated to 150A. On an ESC in that range, usually 10 or 8 gauge wiring is used to play it on the safe side. I would think those ZTW Gecko ESC's you have in mind would be much better for durability and longevity than the current Cobra's.

Comment

• The Cobras are rated for 150A but they are smaller and lighter than the 125A Gekkos... It was the first time I have ever tried the Cobras which I got for a really good price at NEFI. I figured ehhh... It was worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                                          X