First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks great T-Cat. Get her maidened and it's Lasagna Time!:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
      My Freewing A-10 90mm (using Freewing 12-blade fans with 1550kv outrunner motors) EDF jet is almost ready to go. I have to solder up the Freewing 130A ESC's and finish some small things here and there. Below are some pictures of the painting and weathering. I wasn't sure the weathering would look good. Right after its new paint job and shinny clean surface, it looked too much like a toy. The weathering toned it down well and looks more realistic now. The bottom of the jet is still gray on purpose for a little color contrast in hopes of improving orientation, although it doesn't necessarily need it in my opinion.
      Outstanding work , T-CAT !!
      BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Anyone install strobe lights in the wingtips to compliment the navigation lights?

Comment

• I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
            How did you install those behind the lens? It appears to be a good size square to fit or place looking at the website. But they sure are bright. I did install another brand but can't compete with what you have.

Comment

• I just cut the wing tip open from underneath behind the lens. It is hollow so not a big deal. The ones I used are programmable and on a disc about 1" in diameter but they will fit. They also have a simple smaller white strobe on a rectangular board that would work fine as well. Very bright. I use the Strobon's from Ready Made RC on a lot of my planes because they show up so well.

Comment

I just cut the wing tip open from underneath behind the lens. It is hollow so not a big deal. The ones I used are programmable and on a disc about 1" in diameter but they will fit. They also have a simple smaller white strobe on a rectangular board that would work fine as well. Very bright. I use the Strobon's from Ready Made RC on a lot of my planes because they show up so well.
                The wires just Route through the little channels covered by tape? Or just wire them into the navigation light?

Comment

• Originally posted by Xtraflyr View Post

The wires just Route through the little channels covered by tape? Or just wire them into the navigation light?
                  I have some servo lead wire that I soldered to the boards and expanded the channels under the tape as needed to route the wires. I originally tried to power from the existing wing tip LED's but then if I recall correctly the LED's stopped working so I just ran separate wires and Y'd them into the retracts. I have my strobes coming on only when the retracts are down and left the LED's to be on all the time as per the stock setup.

Comment

• I flew the FW A-10 at the Selfridge ANG Base Centennial Sunday and the first time I flew off of pavement. It was the best flight ever next to the maiden off of grass. The landing was flawless and greased it in. Man I love this A-10. May have to get another for backup, just in case. I will be at the AMA Inaugural Jet Rally Saturday. Have to drive in Friday night leave Sunday at noon. 8.5hr drive.

Comment

• That just looks freakin awesome tcat. Spectacular job mate, waaay cool. :)

Comment

• Thanks so much guys. I tried to make this one unique with the graphics, camo, and little details. The A-10 is one plane that I have really enjoyed modifying and felt it was one that was worth taking the extra time to do so. I learned a lot along the way and look forward to more RC models that spark that type of modifying, as it's been so much fun to see the great ideas people have, the amazing talent and skill from everyone, and the attention to detail. It amazes me every time to see everyone's projects.

Comment

• Did anyone who had damage resulting from the dreaded "bounce" have the carbon fiber rods installed in the forward fuse? Did they make a difference? I'm wondering if there is any advantage to putting those in? Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
                            Did anyone who had damage resulting from the dreaded "bounce" have the carbon fiber rods installed in the forward fuse? Did they make a difference? I'm wondering if there is any advantage to putting those in? Rob
                            First time I'm hearing about carbon fiber rods.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post
                              Did anyone who had damage resulting from the dreaded "bounce" have the carbon fiber rods installed in the forward fuse? Did they make a difference? I'm wondering if there is any advantage to putting those in? Rob
                              Yes they did. I hit a chain-link fence after an extended landing (it just kept floating and I did not want to drop it in for fear of a bounce) hard enough while trying to turn to avoid it that it popped the fuse in a twisting manner similar to opening a tube of biscuit dough. The fracture however was back in the wing area instead of being more forward near the rear of the battery hatch. It was a clean break and easily repaired. Also, I broke the nose gear strut pin on my Euro Green Cool Cat which is a 16 lb. bird with no damage to the air-frame. Fortunately it nosed over into some very soft mud. Lots of clean-up but no structural damage to the plane. I highly recommend adding them myself.

Comment

• I did not. No damage to the foam except a few very slight wrinkles right at the nose gear location. Can hardly notice them.
                                Pat

Comment

• Is this something I should do? What does it take to do it?
                                  Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Xtraflyr View Post
                                    Is this something I should do? What does it take to do it?
                                    Thanks!
                                    You'll notice inside the cockpit that there are channels in the fuse sides. You can glue a CF tube into that channel on each side to provide some reinforcement. I laid mine in with some Foam-Tac.

The two batteries are heavy, which creates a lot of inertia during a "sudden stop". The fuse sides are thin and so an accident could result in the fuselage tearing apart. The CF rods adds a lot of strength but its optional, completely your choice. My opinion is that it is probably a useful thing to do. Some of us have the Freewing ME262, it also has a hollow nose section with a big battery and that nose can just rip right off in a bad landing. That happened to my ME262 on a bad bounce the first time I flew it! When I repaired it I reinforced the nose by imbedding some rods into the foam and it helped a lot. The nice thing about the A10 is that the channels are built in so it's really easy. Why not use them?
                                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I agree totally with what TMD said. Certainly optional but easy to do so it's up to you. I used a 5mm square CF tube because it is what I had readily available. 2 pieces about 15" long each but I think others have used 6mm square or round tube as well.

Comment

I agree totally with what TMD said. Certainly optional but easy to do so it's up to you. I used a 5mm square CF tube because it is what I had readily available. 2 pieces about 15" long each but I think others have used 6mm square or round tube as well.
                                        I used the 2 pieces of 6mm square CF that is in the horizontal stab of this bird when I had to replace it due to the nappy NEFI grass.
                                        They are each 21 inches long and the slots to be filled is 19 so a simple matter of cutting off 2 and FoamTac them in.
                                        Really beefed up the sides which makes the canopy hatch fit tighter also. FW should just upgrade the fuse since they already have the CF tubes and the cost versus the present retail shouldn't be affected.
                                        Of the three bounces I've had from being stupid playing with high alpha approaches and dropping onto the mains, am firmly convinced that these have saved my fuse front end.
                                        Nose gear pin is still good :Whew:
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks guys! I'll get some and add it to the fuse.

Is there any way to get the slop out of the nose gear? After a couple bounce landings,it loosened it up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X