X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sky Wolf View Post
    Found a really cool site that carries some awesome shirts and flags. This one is for the A-10...of course. But check out all of their stuff!

https://aircraftmechanicshirts.com/collections/a-10
    Thanks lots of nice stuff there.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Just luv the talented artistry that exudes the character of this forum;)Great job UT :Cool:
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by RickVB View Post

Ah. So you fly at 9:30? Both Saturday and Sunday?
        Yes, still working on the logistics, but everything is coming together nicely.

Comment

• Is there a particular airbrush you fellas are having good success with?

Comment

• Originally posted by WAY BAD View Post
            Is there a particular airbrush you fellas are having good success with?
            There are some great airbrushes available for relatively low cost, and then some versatile very high quality component airbrushes that are on the expensive side. For me, it was a combination of reasonable cost that I felt comfortable spending, yet choosing one that is known for its quality components, durability, and versatility. For hobby use, I chose a gravity fed (paint cup on top instead of the side of bottom) dual action (the single trigger activates control of air and paint release by pressing down for air and back for paint) airbrush by Iwata, specifically the Eclipse HP-CS. The paint cup has enough space for paint to perform plenty of detailing, and the .35mm tip is good for detailing and the ability to create small and crisp lines if you choose, and a larger tip can be purchased to be able to spray a larger area easier for larger paint jobs (I purchased the components to use a .5mm tip and still was able to complete whole repaints of my planes, but takes longer considering the spray pattern is 2 inches or just about more than that with the larger tip size). These airbrushes are meant for more smaller jobs and detailing, but they are still capable of repainting whole planes, although it will take longer than a rattle can or spray gun since it won't be able to deliver the same paint output as one of those. There are much less expensive, and more expensive airbrushes of course. However, this one is a fantastic airbrush for what you get, and I was willing to pay the price associated with receiving a quality product that has a better chance on providing consistent/predictable paint flow and longevity with my hobby use. I'd rather pay once for something I know has likelyhood of lasting, than spend multiple times on a product that breaks or has quality control issues on a continuous basis when used frequently. Regardless of the airbrush used, learning to disassemble it properly after each use, cleaning it, have the materials needed to do so, reassemble it, and maintaining it well are all keys to keeping your airbrush running properly and without issue. I've also learned that using the proper air pressure combined with the proper paint of the appropriate level of thinning (and proper paint thinner for the paint used and safe for the material of the airbrush) to keep the paint flowing well and not spitting, clogging, bubbling, etc. is crucial to airbrushing success and keeping it running in top shape. That has come from practice, reading, watching the experts in their tutorial videos, etc.

I ordered my airbrush combo (the airbrush, compressor with tank, hose with quick disconnect, and some accessories I felt were worthwhile) from tcpglobal. They have a good selection, as well as good feedback with the questions I had. The link below is to the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/IWA-4207_5....0#.WV5fHIVlCaM

Comment

Is there a particular airbrush you fellas are having good success with?
              I'm using a GREX that I borrowed from work and I'm really impressed with it. .

Mike
              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• This real nice guy gave me great tips like this last year on the side about airbrush materials, techniques, and encouragement to keep at it. So glad you shared this with everyone T-CAT. I wish I could paint as well as you explain things.:Cool:

Comment

• Appreciate the input Guys!

These weathered Hawgs look so amazing!

Comment

Appreciate the input Guys!

Have you had a chance to look down here?

Some good recommendations..

Comment

• Originally posted by Westsider View Post
                      This real nice guy gave me great tips like this last year on the side about airbrush materials, techniques, and encouragement to keep at it. So glad you shared this with everyone T-CAT. I wish I could paint as well as you explain things.:Cool:
                      Thanks! I wish I were a pro by now LOL, but I'm working at becoming better and better over time. I love anything artistic, so airbrushing can be such a fun hobby in and of itself. It's amazing how airbrushing can make a project evolve to something totally fun and amazing in very little time. I find it tons of fun! :Cool:

Comment

Appreciate the input Guys!

I think you'll have lots of fun with airbrushing and weathering. Good luck with it!

Comment

• A week or so ago I finally got to maiden my A-10. As many have already written this is a SWEET flying plane and has plenty of power with the 80mm stock setup. I’ve only got three flights on her so far (stupid Iowa hot and windy summer) but I’m looking forward to many more.

I’m running a pair of Admiral 6 cell, 5000mAh, 50C batteries. My time is set at 3:30, when the timer goes off I land, I’m usually at 4:00 – 4:15 by the time I’m done, my cell voltages are 3.70 – 3.80 volts which is where I like them. I’m flying with mostly 50% throttle with 100% on passes. :)

I’m flying with the low rates from the manual with 30% expo on all surfaces and the CG somewhere between 85 – 90mm which seems to be perfect. The plane is big so I had a hard time with balancing it. I have not added any elevator mix with the flap deployment; on the three flights I’ve had I haven’t seen the need.

The takeoff was really easy, I spent a lot of time tweaking the nose wheel to make sure the plane tracked straight and that time spent paid off. I gave a little up elevator once I felt I had flying speed and up I went. I didn’t need much trim; she flies like she’s on rails.

The landing was not as good as I wanted as I was carrying too much speed and she ballooned on me, I was nervous about slowing it down but the next two landings were perfect. A lot has been written about landing this plane, here is the approach I take as a full scale pilot. On downwind I deploy the first notch of flaps and let her slow a bit, right before I turn base I go to full flaps, I keep a touch of power in. When I turn short final I cut the power and coast right in keeping the nose up thus landing on the mains first then full up elevator to keep the nose up as long as possible (just like a real plane). If you have too much speed when you land and haul back on the elevator you will be flying again. Lastly if you bounce your landing they and ease the plane back down. If you bounce again go around and do it again, the third bounce is almost always a guarantee that something could break on the front landing gear.

MotionRC and Freewing have hit it out of the park with this plane, I’m looking forward to many more flights this summer.

Maiden flight video.

Comment

• Great Maiden!!
                            Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                            Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
                              Great Maiden!!
                              Lon, are you going to the AMA Inaugural Jet Rally in your State? EDF's are welcome and going to bring my FW A-10. I've already signed up and booked the hotel. A 10hr drive for me. I may bring the FW F-16 too.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post

Lon, are you going to the AMA Inaugural Jet Rally in your State? EDF's are welcome and going to bring my FW A-10. I've already signed up and booked the hotel. A 10hr drive for me. I may bring the FW F-16 too.
                                I have the date marked. Very serious about going. I already have commitments the first 3 weekends in August...sigh..may as well be every weekend...The Sunday before the Jet Rally is our club 25th Annual Air show. Weekend before that..Vegas. !st weekend Visitors from out of state....we'll see...I do want to go..only a 3 hour drive for me.
                                Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

I have the date marked. Very serious about going. I already have commitments the first 3 weekends in August...sigh..may as well be every weekend...The Sunday before the Jet Rally is our club 25th Annual Air show. Weekend before that..Vegas. !st weekend Visitors from out of state....we'll see...I do want to go..only a 3 hour drive for me.
                                  Know what you mean as I have a full schedule also. The weekend before is the big Air Show with the T-Birds and another flyin to attend.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                    A week or so ago I finally got to maiden my A-10. As many have already written this is a SWEET flying plane and has plenty of power with the 80mm stock setup. I’ve only got three flights on her so far (stupid Iowa hot and windy summer) but I’m looking forward to many more.

I’m running a pair of Admiral 6 cell, 5000mAh, 50C batteries. My time is set at 3:30, when the timer goes off I land, I’m usually at 4:00 – 4:15 by the time I’m done, my cell voltages are 3.70 – 3.80 volts which is where I like them. I’m flying with mostly 50% throttle with 100% on passes. :)

I’m flying with the low rates from the manual with 30% expo on all surfaces and the CG somewhere between 85 – 90mm which seems to be perfect. The plane is big so I had a hard time with balancing it. I have not added any elevator mix with the flap deployment; on the three flights I’ve had I haven’t seen the need.

The takeoff was really easy, I spent a lot of time tweaking the nose wheel to make sure the plane tracked straight and that time spent paid off. I gave a little up elevator once I felt I had flying speed and up I went. I didn’t need much trim; she flies like she’s on rails.

The landing was not as good as I wanted as I was carrying too much speed and she ballooned on me, I was nervous about slowing it down but the next two landings were perfect. A lot has been written about landing this plane, here is the approach I take as a full scale pilot. On downwind I deploy the first notch of flaps and let her slow a bit, right before I turn base I go to full flaps, I keep a touch of power in. When I turn short final I cut the power and coast right in keeping the nose up thus landing on the mains first then full up elevator to keep the nose up as long as possible (just like a real plane). If you have too much speed when you land and haul back on the elevator you will be flying again. Lastly if you bounce your landing they and ease the plane back down. If you bounce again go around and do it again, the third bounce is almost always a guarantee that something could break on the front landing gear.

MotionRC and Freewing have hit it out of the park with this plane, I’m looking forward to many more flights this summer.

Maiden flight video.

Congrats on the successful flights!

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                                      For those needing touch up or cover up paint, I used Rust-Oleum 2 in 1 Filler & Sandable Primer right out of the 12 oz spray can to paint the vinyl film I put over the servos. The color difference is not discernable to my eyes.
                                      HOWEVER - this stuff EATS FOAM. Do not use it directly on the foam parts of the model.

Comment

• I had some fun with colored pencils tonight to see how well they would show up on the foam and weathering. I'll do a bit more touch-up to what I've done already on the nose, but below are some pics of detailing the fuel port area. One picture is with the cameras flash on and the other without flash activated so you can see the lines without reflection.

Comment

• Originally posted by RickVB View Post

HOWEVER - this stuff EATS FOAM. Do not use it directly on the foam parts of the model.
                                          The foam used for packing is not EPO, just about anything will eat it. The paint mentioned will not hurt the EPO foam of the plane.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                          X