Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2 cents: I set my rates by the book except low rate aileron is 60% instead of 70% with 50% expo on high and low. I think the 70% low rate would be fine for me now. I always use high rate elevator and rudder with no expo and nearly always use low rate aileron with 50% expo. I have the flaps on a slider for full control anytime and set the full down end point to 30% which I think is 45mm instead of 55mm. I have noticed that I have not had another flap stick problem since reducing the maximum a bit. Perhaps that is simply too much for the servo and it shuts off to protect itself. That would be very good to prove.

Comment

• So far so good with the Powerhobby 6S 5200mAh 50C packs. My first one is 3 years old with 75 flights. Balance is good, power is good, temp is good and no swelling. I don't run my packs down super low so they last longer. I shoot for no less than 3.70 per cell. I kinda doubt the ratings are true as with most things, but it is plenty good for the Avanti. The biggest thing with these is that they are very light at approximately 23 ounces. I have 10 flights on a new pack this year, the HRB 6S 6000mAh 50C. It is doing very well and the extra weight (approximately 29 ounces) is carried easily by the large wing Avanti. I can easily add 30 seconds to the flight time. It even cost less than the Powerhobby. I don't think I would want to go much heavier though. The Avanti would start to venture into the wing loading of a "real" jet and I think I could not handle it. Kudos to the fast heavy jet pilots! The extra weight is also more stress on the landing gear with my "field". The Avanti has made a dream come true for me. Thank You Freewing and Motion RC!

Comment

• I finally tried the Scorpion EDF in an Avanti. It works. IMO it is a bit more whooshy, a bit less power and I think a bit less amp draw.

Comment

• New problem. The aileron servos pulled out as they can do because the paint had not been removed before gluing. Freewing uses some kind of silicone adhesive at the factory which is not what is in the tube that comes with it. I scraped and cleaned up everything with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and tried to glue with E6000 which would not stick to the servo. I never had that happen before. I then tried denatured alcohol which is Ethanol cut with Methanol to make it poisonous, Acetone and even brake cleaner. None of them would clean the servo well enough for glue to stick well. The servos still tested good and I did not want to replace them, so I made plates to hold the servos in. I also used threadlock on the horn screw since they can come out and Freewing does not lock them. Sometimes they don't even tighten them! There seems to be some kind of "film" on the servo as if the original adhesive has penetrated the case material. Has anyone else experienced such a freaky problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach9 View Post
            New problem. The aileron servos pulled out as they can do because the paint had not been removed before gluing. Freewing uses some kind of silicone adhesive at the factory which is not what is in the tube that comes with it. I scraped and cleaned up everything with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and tried to glue with E6000 which would not stick to the servo. I never had that happen before. I then tried denatured alcohol which is Ethanol cut with Methanol to make it poisonous, Acetone and even brake cleaner. None of them would clean the servo well enough for glue to stick well. The servos still tested good and I did not want to replace them, so I made plates to hold the servos in. I also used threadlock on the horn screw since they can come out and Freewing does not lock them. Sometimes they don't even tighten them! There seems to be some kind of "film" on the servo as if the original adhesive has penetrated the case material. Has anyone else experienced such a freaky problem?
            I think in another thread somewhere someone was wondering what that white adhesive FW uses on the servos sometimes and E-Flight uses it as well, including mounting the AR636 in. There was a lot of guessing and Alpha could not comment definitively what it is (I guess some proprietary product) but somewhat got some white gorilla glue caulking and he seemed to think it was pretty close. If I'm not mistaken, it also has some silicone in it which might be the residue left on your servo. You could always sand the surface of the servo to be glued and that may remove the "stuff", whatever it is.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh, I actually did sand it and it seemed that the film came out of the servo case material!

Comment

• Yikes, sounds like the alien is in there growing until it's ready to pop out!
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hi all
                  40+ flights in Avanti now and noticed dx9 has a knife edge mix for Ele and ail
                  so I can’t knife edge but. Was wondering if some of you pro drivers might pass on your mix as a starting point for me.

it is a stock plane with outrunner, 12 blade and I use hrb 5000s With the battery flush to the back of the helper battery tray strip.

just not sure so could use a nudge. Since I am here what other maneuvers are you doing? Just loops rolls hammerheads shark tooth’s at altitude still very dirt shy.
                  doug

Comment

• Comment

• 554dug

Saw this video a while back, haven't got around to trying it yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by 554dug View Post
                        Hi all
                        so I can’t knife edge but. Was wondering if some of you pro drivers might pass on your mix as a starting point for me.

it is a stock plane with outrunner, 12 blade and I use hrb 5000s With the battery flush to the back of the helper battery tray strip.

just not sure so could use a nudge. Since I am here what other maneuvers are you doing? Just loops rolls hammerheads shark tooth’s at altitude still very dirt shy.
                        doug
                        This thing will do whicked pop tops. Try it out

Comment

• Originally posted by 554dug View Post
                          Hi all

doug
                          554dug I use a RT 6250 in mine with battery all the way back, which is an older stock Red Avanti with an inrunner and it does knife edge with no mix required. Will easily do flat spins as well. If you get it just right, it will also hover. Just a sweet flying little beast!
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Anyone with a testors paint number for the grey paint on yellow Avanti?

Comment

• I finally got my first EDF flights under my belt. The Avanti flew great. Just 3 clicks of elevator trim and she was tracking straight and level. I did have to reduce the aileron throws after the first flight and added 10% more expo and she flew great on the next 2 flights.
                              After being out of flying and away from the club for 4 years it really felt good to fly again.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
                                I finally got my first EDF flights under my belt. The Avanti flew great. Just 3 clicks of elevator trim and she was tracking straight and level. I did have to reduce the aileron throws after the first flight and added 10% more expo and she flew great on the next 2 flights.
                                After being out of flying and away from the club for 4 years it really felt good to fly again.
                                Congrats! You certainly chose an excellent jet to do that with.

Comment

• Now that I have flown my Avanti I am looking for which one to maiden next. I am going to fly my Avanti for another round of flying next weekend then maiden one of my other jets.
                                  My jets are all FW, I am thinking maiden in this order. F-86 then A-10 then F-18 and lastly my F-4. I am thinking the F-4 is going to be the most difficult of the bunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waconut View Post
                                    Now that I have flown my Avanti I am looking for which one to maiden next. I am going to fly my Avanti for another round of flying next weekend then maiden one of my other jets.
                                    My jets are all FW, I am thinking maiden in this order. F-86 then A-10 then F-18 and lastly my F-4. I am thinking the F-4 is going to be the most difficult of the bunch.
                                    The F4 actually handles quite well, I use take off flaps flying from a 400’ grass runway and it gets airborne in about 200-250’. The only quirk with the F4 is that it can be very easy to lose orientation on it. Try to keep it in close for the first few flights and set your timer to 3 minutes if using a 5000 mah pack.

Comment

• I am ordering an Avanti S. Looks like the red version has a 9-blade fan VS the yellow with 12-blade fan. I copied this from Motion RC site:

Version Info: This is the High Performance version which includes a powerful 3658-1920kV inrunner motor with new 9-blade fan

Version Info: This is the High Performance version of the Freewing Avanti S 80mm. This version includes a powerful 3658-1857kV inrunner motor with 12-blade fan

Which one do you guys recommend? Which color is easier to see as far as orientation is concerned?

Comment

• I bought the red high performance (12 blade fan). It fly’s great and I find the red easier to see but that is just a personal preference.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by N4Speed View Post
                                          [FONT=Calibri]I am ordering an Avanti S. Looks like the red version has a 9-blade fan VS the yellow with 12-blade fan. ...... Which color is easier to see as far as orientation is concerned?
                                          I have owned both. I have heard it said by several EDF designers that there is a fundamental tradeoff in EDF between static thrust vs. speed. They are opposing goals, and you have to pick a design somewhere along the tradeoff. It seemed to me that the 12-blade (more blades, lower kv) is slightly more optimized for static thrust, and the 9-blade (few blades, higher kv) is slightly more optimized for max speed.

I preferred the 9-blade, but it depends on your flying style. If you like a lot of speed changes and want sudden punch, then maybe 12-blade is better. A guy in our club flies this style, gliding sometimes, punching out sometimes...it is interesting to watch. He definitely does better with the 12-blade. I tend to fly around at constant relatively high speed, and like to pass by low and fast, so I like the 9-blade for max speed.

It is kind of like bicycle gears - the 12blade lower kv is a "lower gear", so you can accelerate a bit better, but then top speed is limited vs. the other one. But we're not talking about 1st gear vs 10th gear.....more like 9th gear vs 10th gear, only a small difference.

Also probably matters if you fly off grass. 9-blade takes a little longer to accelerate up to takeoff speed, and with the resistance of grass you might want 12-blade.

And I can't say I really noticed much difference in visibility. Maybe red is slightly easier to see.

Comment

Working...
                                          X