X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Really outstanding, and I love your exhaust nozzle. Where did you get it?

I agree with you completely, the Avanti S and the Stinger 90 are 2 of my favorite EDF's to fly, each with a couple hundred flights on them, and it never gets old. Actually it helps going back to them occasionally to get my confidence back after a slight mishap with any of my other EDF's. I already re-painted my Stinger 90 some 100 flights ago, but now you got me thinking of doing something with the Avanti. They both already have afterburners, but I would love to add that nozzle!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_163430.jpg
Views:	1760
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	277496
    Thanks Hugh! I appreciate it. The nozzle is from Thingiverse that Ken designed and can be found in the link below.

Your Stinger looks great! Nice job. I imagine the excellent reputation and sales of the Stinger 90 sparked the thought for Freewing to bring the Avanti S to market. Hopefully the success of all these sport jets means more of them in the future.

Comment

• Got a high performance Avanti a few weeks ago, and after about 30 flights I was confident it wasn’t doing anywhere near 115, or even 100. Today I flew with a HP Hawk, E-Flite F-16 and a 70mm Yak 130 and every one was drastically faster than the Avanti. At one point while full throttle and seeing the F-16 pulling away from me, I asked if he was full throttle, which he wasn’t. Haven’t been able to actually measure its speed yet.

That being said, I actually love the current flight envelope of the plane. I’m just scratching my head as to why there’s such a large gap between the claimed speed and the actual?

Comment

• Hi i have just ordered this bird and I have read about upgrading the nose wheel supports could someone give me the post number that I may find some information on this , I have been reading lots of post but cant find any re this upgrade
        ta

Comment

• Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
          Got a high performance Avanti a few weeks ago, and after about 30 flights I was confident it wasn’t doing anywhere near 115, or even 100. Today I flew with a HP Hawk, E-Flite F-16 and a 70mm Yak 130 and every one was drastically faster than the Avanti. At one point while full throttle and seeing the F-16 pulling away from me, I asked if he was full throttle, which he wasn’t. Haven’t been able to actually measure its speed yet.

That being said, I actually love the current flight envelope of the plane. I’m just scratching my head as to why there’s such a large gap between the claimed speed and the actual?
          The claimed speed is in a down line. The max level flight i can attain is 175 kmh or 108 mph

Comment

Yesterday, 10:31 PM
            Hi i have just ordered this bird and I have read about upgrading the nose wheel supports could someone give me the post number that I may find some information on this , I have been reading lots of post but cant find any re this upgrade
            ta
            Dont know about Aus but this is ebay uk link

Comment

• Originally posted by hotrod23t View Post

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	134904 ok its finished ..a3 gyro.... freewing 12 blade inrunner 6s..... front gear modded .. put rubber band on front gear spring......invisable wing fences......1/16 inch pinstripe to make the lines pop 3 coats high gloss polycrylic now for the maidian

Comment

• Who are the pilots from?

Comment

• Hey All,

just putting my Avanti S together it looks like I'll need two Y adaptors, one for the Elevator and the other for the Rudder and Nose wheel? I didn't get any with the plane.
                  Jeff in LA USA

Thank you I read the instructions, shocker, and seen where to connect the 2 elevator leads and the ruder lead.
                  Jeff in LA USA

Comment

• Originally posted by SeeMeDo View Post
                    Hey All,

just putting my Avanti S together it looks like I'll need to Y adaptors, one for the Elevator and the other for the Rudder and Nose wheel? I didn't get any with the plane.
                    Jeff in LA USA
                    My recollection is that there is printed circuit board somewhere in the plane that splits signals, so you only need one input into the PCB and it will drive both outputs. Some people like to bypass this board with a Y-cable, but I don't because I've had several Y-cables fail and never had a PCB fail. But I mention it because different people choose differently on this point, so choose whatever you prefer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

My recollection is that there is printed circuit board somewhere in the plane that splits signals, so you only need one input into the PCB and it will drive both outputs. Some people like to bypass this board with a Y-cable, but I don't because I've had several Y-cables fail and never had a PCB fail. But I mention it because different people choose differently on this point, so choose whatever you prefer.
                      Thank you for the quick reply, I've read the instructions and now see the light or at least were the connectors go. I like making fun of those that don't read the instructions, felt like a real dummy.
                      Jeff in LA USA

Comment

• I am looking for recommendations on where to mount a Spektrum AR637T receiver with AS3X gyro built in. It’s supposed to be mounted as close to the CG as possible, which doesn’t seem very easy to do. Appreciate any pictures that can illustrate how to best mount it.

Comment

• I wouldn’t worry too much about mounting the gyro receiver on the CG, although it can be helpful to be the most precise for the gyro functions and accelerometer readings, etc. In a perfect world, that would be great to do. However, some RC companies engineers talk about their gyros receivers, and some mention that it may not be absolutely crucial to place it on the CG although there is a difference, but it may not be perceptible to a pilot, especially depending on what gyro functions a person plans to utilize. The gyro will still function well if placed in the nose of this jet. I’ve flown well over 600 flights on the Avanti alone, let alone in many other jets, with a gyro receiver in the nose and it has functioned great.

What is definitely critical, is ensuring your gyro receiver is mounted securely without unwanted movement by means of 3M automotive double sided tape, silicone, etc. You DO NOT want to mount a gyro/gyro-RX with velcro or other methods that allow movement.

I mounted my gyro receiver with 3M tape on a tray that I made and screwed down to the battery compartment above the control box, but there are many other areas to mount it as well.

Watch the video below. A Spektrum engineer talks about their 637T receiver and gyro placement at the beginning of the video.

Comment

• Originally posted by larspe View Post
                            I am looking for recommendations on where to mount a Spektrum AR637T receiver with AS3X gyro built in. It’s supposed to be mounted as close to the CG as possible, which doesn’t seem very easy to do. Appreciate any pictures that can illustrate how to best mount it.
                            Old wives tale mate, mount it wherever makes sense for your layout.

Comment

I am looking for recommendations on where to mount a Spektrum AR637T receiver with AS3X gyro built in. It’s supposed to be mounted as close to the CG as possible, which doesn’t seem very easy to do. Appreciate any pictures that can illustrate how to best mount it.
                              Agree with mshagg , I mounted my AR636 AS3X receiver up front in the nose, as far away from the ESC/Battery/Wires and it works fine for me. The AR637T will be fine up there as well, just keep the twin antennae away from as much as you can. The only wires I have near my antennae are from the afterburner controller, but after over 100 flights it's worked great for me. BTW, you should be able to program some fairly high gains without oscillations, I'm using 45-55% on flaps up and 75-85% with take-off and landing flaps. The Avanti doesn't really need a gyro, it's incredibly stable but it does come in handy with gusty crosswinds. I'm using a RT 6250 35C battery (as far back as possible, even under the foam) and get well over 5 minutes of very aggressive flying.

Name:	20201012_203103.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	280203

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• T-Cat - excellent. Very helpful response! If you could post a picture of your placement, including the tray, that would be great. Many thanks! 😀

Comment

T-Cat - excellent. Very helpful response! If you could post a picture of your placement, including the tray, that would be great. Many thanks! 😀
                                  You’re welcome.

Below is a picture of the receiver tray I made for the Avanti to place it above the control box.

Name:	C7DA3B65-C235-40B8-B09A-A754D2D9D427.png
Views:	1113
Size:	695.0 KB
ID:	280318

Name:	B9165C95-746A-460A-9873-FC207C213FA2.png
Views:	1140
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	280317

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Below is a picture of the receiver tray I made for the Avanti to place it above the control box.
                                    Mine is mounted in approximately the same place. I epoxied two 3cm lengths of balsa spar along each side, and then a piece of balsa sheet on top of those as a tray.

By the way, regarding centered vs. not centered - below is a video showing that in practice it doesn't really matter.

We all know that if the plane pitches up 20 degrees, then the whole plane pitches up 20 degrees over the same time interval, and so wherever the gyro is it will experience the same rate of change in angle. But the controversy arises because although a perfect gyro is supposed to only measure rate of change in angle, in practice nothing is perfect, and to some extent linear acceleration can also affect the output. In fact, if you look at the spec for any MEMS gyro, you can see there is a number for the amount of error induced by linear acceleration. However this error term is very small. There could be applications in which this matters (especially if you want the absolute reading to be accurate). But does it matter for modelers, where we are setting the gain approximately by what "feels right"? This video is a good practical test - if you can't see the difference in a test like this, then I think for all practical purposes it doesn't matter.

This is kind of an obscure point but might be interesting to some "scientists-at-heart" out there. I performed this experiment in response to a repeated ass...

What does matter is that you have the gyro aligned with the direction of travel of the airplane. Crosstalk between channels is not good.

[For the true geek, here is example Invensense datasheet, with specs for gyro in section 6.1. You can see for example even when it is not rotating (ZRO) it reads 0.1 deg/sec per 1g linear acceleration. But given that even a slow rotation in the air is on the order of 10 degrees per second, that is a pretty small error.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

You’re welcome.

Name:	C7DA3B65-C235-40B8-B09A-A754D2D9D427.png
Views:	1113
Size:	695.0 KB
ID:	280318

Name:	B9165C95-746A-460A-9873-FC207C213FA2.png
Views:	1140
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	280317
                                      That looks great. Any chance you can send me or post the STL file so that I can print an identical tray myself? Thanks again!

Comment

• T-CAT,
                                        You know, I was just starting to search for pictures and ideals of receiver placement. Then I saw your idea. Great idea. I do not have a 3d printer but I surely can make something similar out of balsa. Thank you!!!

Comment

• Well I got my maiden in Monday even with pretty good crosswinds it went great. I was doing a 360 range check and just decided to take off. Used an Admiral 6s 4000 battery, Admiral\ Lemon Rx with satellite, no gyro. Had 53% left after 3.5 minutes.
                                          Our runway is so rough my FW F-16 can't take off but the Avanti S took off at 3/4 throttle. Going to have a lot of fun with this for sure. Thank you for all your posts which helped.

Jeff in LA USA

Comment

Working...
                                          X