Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late to the party...searched about grey only paint or blue angels. why no other liveries?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MH2.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	269301

Comment

• Originally posted by Daryl View Post
      Late to the party...searched about grey only paint or blue angels. why no other liveries?

From the grey you can make any livery your heart desires! Just assume the grey is the primer coat. Just imagine what you can do (especially with Callie's help), cause this started out as a "grey" (yes, I love to post pictures of my F-18 Canadian, have to get some satisfaction out of 6 weeks of painful work that caused my BP to run wild, sometimes I hate to fly it even, but it does fly outstanding and looks so nice in the air).

Name:	20200427_175717.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	269304
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Late to the party...searched about grey only paint or blue angels. why no other liveries?

Hey Daryl - Welcome to Hobby Squawk! - With this version of the F-18 (C-model) it was done with the Blue Angels in mind and then since there are nearly endless liveries from all the years this bird served and still serves, we felt a base gray was necessary. Our good friend Callie-Graphics gets all the dimensions of all of our models and she has and will make any livery you wish. But our community is chock full of modelers and tinkerers who love nothing more than to make things their own.

Comment

• Callie is a bit backed up. I understand the desire to not have to paint a livery also.

I was pretty leery of trying and I have to say, there's a reason why I don't do it much, the result wasn't great without an airbrush and my modelling skills have never been stellar. But, I learned something and will do better the next time....if there is a next time.

Comment

• Thank you guys, its all right that Callie is busy at the moment. Will be awhile till I pull the trigger on this..just pre ordered the Mig29 ;)
            btw nicely done Hugh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Yes, I worked on them and other carrier based planes for years. Not to say that I do mixing that the real planes do though, I do mixing that I want to try and see how it works.

Remember to make appropriate pitch mixing especially for the rudder airbrakes.
              On my f18 i had tailerons...flaperons..full span flaps. One thing i did to reduce top stalling on flare and also accerated stall on hard pulls...was to mix reflex into the the ailerons with elevator up input. So as i started to flare...the ailerons reduced their flap throw..to help reduce the tip stalling. It worked really well. I use the same thing on my f14 full span flaps

Comment

Late to the party.
                D, You're not late, just in time actually. Welcome to "The Squawk". Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

No, not late at all... I've only just got my high performance version which I'm busily making a pigs ear of converting into a bumble bee:

Name:	IMG_6658.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	269395

Name:	VFA-113-Stingers-026.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	269396

Comment

• The43rdHammer , Whoa, now that's some articulate work. Looking good, Sir. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post

No, not late at all... I've only just got my high performance version which I'm busily making a pigs ear of converting into a bumble bee:

That is amazing!

Comment

• Thanks chaps, that's very nice of you to say so 😁

I'm going to attack the canopy and some of the fuselage as where the decal needed to be trimmed there are some join lines (admittedly you need to look closely to see them but still...)

I've yet to lacquer in matt yet, which will dull everything down and I bought some of these Army Painter sprays which are supposed to be very good. I know a lot of the professional model makers use them.

Will report back:

Name:	IMG_6667.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	269421

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post

Now that is outstanding, can't wait to see the final version, kudos to you, looks like that required a ton of patience!
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I know it definitely would be wrong, but wonder how the new Mig 29 would look in this Bumble Bee scheme, not like I'd ever do something that's outrageously off from scale!
                            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Wow kudos to your patience The43rdHammer ! If I had half of yours I could finally get some of these nagging projects done around the house!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Finally pressed the button on a FW F-18 Blue Angels High Power. Its an itch that has been bothering me since that disaster of a plane, the E-Flite F-18.

I'm looking forward to the build, is there anything i need to check (other than the usual)? I will be using a Turnigy 5K HD pack with a AR637T RX (with a mild gyro mix).

She should keep me busy until the Fulcrum arrives in the UK. Happy flying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post

On my f18 i had tailerons...flaperons..full span flaps. One thing i did to reduce top stalling on flare and also accerated stall on hard pulls...was to mix reflex into the the ailerons with elevator up input. So as i started to flare...the ailerons reduced their flap throw..to help reduce the tip stalling. It worked really well. I use the same thing on my f14 full span flaps
                                  I think I will program in some reflex as well. Also, is the book CG correct? Or should it be a little more forward? It seems that the videos I have seen show people running the CG at about 10mm forward of the book value.
                                  Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• I found the factory cg to be pretty good. I actually went a lil bit aft of recomended. But i dont recomend that until you are comfortable with the airplane and the throws are dialed in. Mine flew inverted extremely well and did really nice flat slow rolls. Loved how it flew

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post

I think I will program in some reflex as well. Also, is the book CG correct? Or should it be a little more forward? It seems that the videos I have seen show people running the CG at about 10mm forward of the book value.
                                      I actually fly mine about 3-4mm aft of the book CG and for me, that's where it seems best. You will find that at the book CG and especially forward of that, you will need a LOT of up trim.
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I actually fly mine about 3-4mm aft of the book CG and for me, that's where it seems best. You will find that at the book CG and especially forward of that, you will need a LOT of up trim.
                                        Thats about whete i was. Just a lil bit aft of recomended. FW recomendrd cg's are nornally a bit on the nose heavy side for obvious reasons. Its a decent place to start anyways. I love experimenting with cg. On the a4 i ended up 18mm aft of the recomended aft location and tsmed down throws. Flies sbsolutely awesome...but i worked it back 3-4mm at a time

Comment

• Hornet Howners, It's all 'baby-steps' though making progress with the paint and install of a few more 3DP bits. Having big fun as she's starting to look like something again. Somewhere in the instructions I recall reading the 'build time' was 2 hours and thinking, "that would would awesome." More when there's more. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X