Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phatbob
    replied
    Any issues with the MRRcsound and the stock ESC? Thanks !

Leave a comment:

• Tim K
    replied
    Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post

Heinz Bar's Rot 13. Nicely done!! If you have the Flightline Rot 13, too, you should take "Me and Minnie Me" photo. :-)
    Yep, I have the flightline one and the old FMS 190 that I also repainted in Heinz Bar's scheme. I really like Fw190's

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim K View Post
    Here is my repaint of the e-flite 190. Markings from Callie Graphics of course.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3499.JPEG Views:	4 Size:	243.7 KB ID:	301044Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3498.JPEG Views:	4 Size:	268.4 KB ID:	301045Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3500.JPEG Views:	4 Size:	267.3 KB ID:	301046Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3497.JPEG Views:	4 Size:	276.4 KB ID:	301047Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3503.JPEG Views:	4 Size:	333.4 KB ID:	301048Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3505.JPEG Views:	4 Size:	228.7 KB ID:	301049Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3504.JPEG Views:	4 Size:	244.9 KB ID:	301050
    Heinz Bar's Rot 13. Nicely done!! If you have the Flightline Rot 13, too, you should take "Me and Minnie Me" photo. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Tim K
    replied
    Here is my repaint of the e-flite 190. Markings from Callie Graphics of course.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3499.JPEG
Views:	801
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	301044Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3498.JPEG
Views:	771
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	301045Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3500.JPEG
Views:	773
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	301046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3497.JPEG
Views:	758
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	301047Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3503.JPEG
Views:	768
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	301048Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3505.JPEG
Views:	766
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	301049Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3504.JPEG
Views:	808
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	301050

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Yesterday, I put 4 or 5 flights on my Weiss Funf. I was fighting with my dorkcam all day, and only got the camera to stay on for one full flight. The greys and purples are a really good camo; so, I edited out most of the 'invisible plane' and trimming segments of the flight.

A couple thoughts about this video and the flying/landing characteristics of this model...

First off, during this video, I was having to fight the flaps with a lot of down elevator. I usually don't like to mix elevator with flaps, if I don't have to, but this model does need a good helping of DOWN elevator mixed in with the flaps. On the aborted touch-n-go approach, there were several things going on. I was fighting the flaps with a lot of forward pressure, while managing the altitude and descent rate with the throttle, then I hit the ground effect (which is very characteristic of our field when the wind is coming from the south (right)), and the combination resulted in a really ugly approach. I ultimately called a mulligan and eased back into the power to go around. I managed the approach and touchdown MUCH better on the second attempt.

Takeoff. Wow! This plane is an absolute dream to take off. By far, it is the easiest of my planes to take off. Once on the Mains, she tracked perfectly straight, with very little P-factor yaw. After the tail is up and power is further advanced, she eases into the air with a beautifully-scale, low-AOA takeoff.

Flight. The top speed is good. She's not a speed demon, by any stretch of the imagination, but she's not slow either. Top speed is still significantly above scale speed. I was running 90% throw on both the ailerons and elevator (100% on the rudder), and she felt wonderful in the air. I didn't fly at 100% throw, but I wouldn't expect her to be too twitchy with full throws. I didn't do many aerobatic maneuvers in this particular video, but rolls were nicely axial and Immelmanns and Split-S's were very nice during other flights. Even when I cranked pretty hard on the elevator in an Immelmann, I never felt that I was close to an accelerated stall (snap). She was very well behaved and predictable.

Landing. Gotta be on your A Game until the Mains are firmly on the ground. All warbirds need throttle to manage the altitude and elevator for the speed, but it's especially true of this model. When throttle is cut, she slows down quickly and drops like a rock. You've gotta work the throttle all the way to the ground. If you try to glide-land this model (using the elevator to control the descent rate), it'll probably result in a really ugly landing. During the 4 or 5 flights that I did yesterday, I shot a bunch of touch-n-goes. Some were really good, a few were so-so, some were ugly. I had a few approaches there were looking really nice, then right at the end, I'd further reduce the throttle for her to settle in, but she drop more quickly than expected... and would bounce. The compressed springs in the struts really want to unload. Bounces are ugly.

Overall assessment. Takeoff and flying characteristics are wonderful. For landing, use very good technique. She'll be VERY unforgiving of less-than-perfect landings.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Gilatrout, Beautiful work! After putting work into an aspect of a repaint, and having it turn out well, it's a great sense of accomplishment. Great work. Can't wait to see the fully completed Graf Wurger.

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

Thank you.

This tail took most of the day and is only one side.

Both sides were painted white and then I generated painting masks to protect the white where the red decals would go. Then on went the yellow.

Then came the part where my computer froze and I lost my decal templates. After recreating the decal templates, and printing them out, I was just able to put them on the one side before getting too tired to keep it up.

Tomorrow, assuming I don't run out of decal paper will be the other side, the paint masks and decals for fuselage crosses, and the swastikas.

I will say that even though this has been a lot of work, this plane has been an absolute joy to repaint.
    That is pain-stalkily a lot of work. The final product will be a re-creation of what you see. An Artist at work! Bravo, bravo. Beautiful job!

Leave a comment:

• Gilatrout
    replied
    Originally posted by starcop View Post

Looks Fantastic! Excellent. Yes Sir, it's just time well spent.
    Thank you.

This tail took most of the day and is only one side.

Both sides were painted white and then I generated painting masks to protect the white where the red decals would go. Then on went the yellow.

Then came the part where my computer froze and I lost my decal templates. After recreating the decal templates, and printing them out, I was just able to put them on the one side before getting too tired to keep it up.

Tomorrow, assuming I don't run out of decal paper will be the other side, the paint masks and decals for fuselage crosses, and the swastikas.

I will say that even though this has been a lot of work, this plane has been an absolute joy to repaint.

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied

Just takes time.
    Looks Fantastic! Excellent. Yes Sir, it's just time well spent.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Yep. An airbrush can work miracles. Herr Graf would be proud.

Leave a comment:

• Gilatrout
    replied
    Originally posted by starcop View Post

Easy fix though...
    Just takes time.

Leave a comment:

• starcop
    replied
    The paint job is bloody awful. Polka dots, really?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EFL01350C_A03_DAYPXSW7.jpg?sw=800&sh=800&sm=fit.jpg
Views:	2626
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	294531
    Easy fix though...

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Double posted. My apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post

LOL I didn't hear anything, I was just looking at the list in your signature.
    Ah. I haven't deleted it from my list of planes. I guess I should, but that'd be like finally admitting that my beloved is actually gone. I'm not quite at that stage of mourning. LOL

Someone has also commented on a video or two of my Do-335 within the last few days.

Seriously, the BH Do-335 is a fine aircraft. As I'd set it up with dual 6S batteries and a pair of Power 60 class motors, she was heavily wing loaded. She flew fine, was very predictable, and landed well. Just had to keep her speed up. She doesn't, however, like to do a Split-S maneuver from below 100'. LOL

I really regret dumb-thumbing her so badly.

Leave a comment:

• Cfreuen20
    replied
    Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post

Why? What have you heard? It's all lies!!!

LOL. Well, she is no more. I did a terrible dumb-thumb and smashed her into the ground. She smashed so hard that the two batteries caught on fire, and the young man who was helping me pick up the pieces handed me three 3mm wood screws saying, "Here, you can use these again." The short story is that it was late morning and the Sun was still on the other side of the runway. I came down the runway, medium height, and rolled her. As soon as the roll started, she went into the Sun. When she came out of the Sun her wings were mostly level and nose down a bit. Thinking that I'd completed the roll, I gave her up elevator. But.... she had only half rolled... and DOWN is UP and UP is expensive... very, very expensive.

I really liked the BH 335. I ordered it as soon as it was announced (there's a definite theme here...). The BH ARF is well constructed. I installed two 5055 motors (390kv, IIRC) with MAS 16x10x3 props. She had plenty of power. I flew her on a pair of 6S-5AH (plugged in parallel). She was very stable, flew well, had gobs of power. Landed easily, but had to keep the speed up. What I didn't like about her is that the ventral stab is integral to the fuselage. With much of a flare, or if gear failed such that a belly landing was required, the tail (and thus the rear fuselage) was going to be ripped off. So, I decided not to get another one, after smiting mine.
    LOL I didn't hear anything, I was just looking at the list in your signature.

Leave a comment:

• SanExup
    replied
    A good review of it.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post
    oxotnik -off topic, but how do you like that BH Do-335? I have their 2000mm spit, and like it quite a bit. the 335 was certainly intriguing.
    Why? What have you heard? It's all lies!!!

LOL. Well, she is no more. I did a terrible dumb-thumb and smashed her into the ground. She smashed so hard that the two batteries caught on fire, and the young man who was helping me pick up the pieces handed me three 3mm wood screws saying, "Here, you can use these again." The short story is that it was late morning and the Sun was still on the other side of the runway. I came down the runway, medium height, and rolled her. As soon as the roll started, she went into the Sun. When she came out of the Sun her wings were mostly level and nose down a bit. Thinking that I'd completed the roll, I gave her up elevator. But.... she had only half rolled... and DOWN is UP and UP is expensive... very, very expensive.

I really liked the BH 335. I ordered it as soon as it was announced (there's a definite theme here...). The BH ARF is well constructed. I installed two 5055 motors (390kv, IIRC) with MAS 16x10x3 props. She had plenty of power. I flew her on a pair of 6S-5AH (plugged in parallel). She was very stable, flew well, had gobs of power. Landed easily, but had to keep the speed up. What I didn't like about her is that the ventral stab is integral to the fuselage. With much of a flare, or if gear failed such that a belly landing was required, the tail (and thus the rear fuselage) was going to be ripped off. So, I decided not to get another one, after smiting mine.

Leave a comment:

• Cfreuen20
    replied
    oxotnik -off topic, but how do you like that BH Do-335? I have their 2000mm spit, and like it quite a bit. the 335 was certainly intriguing.

Leave a comment:

• Twowingtj
    replied
    Oxotnik I've got your six with a crooked cross bird as well. We'll keep Ol' Charlie on the run LOL.

The only birds I've got with AS3X, at this point, are UMXs. Suppose I'll have to try it out at some point on larger HH birds.

Thanks for your unbiased opinion of the FW. The 190 has always been my favorite single engine WWII axis bird as well. The 102" Black Horse 190 is calling a little stronger than this one.

Leave a comment:

• Oxotnik
    replied
    Originally posted by OV10 View Post
    Oxotnik
    So tell us how ya really feel about Eflite Chuck Your opinion has not waivered from the beginning (post #10).
    I'm just like you pard and am not bashful about shooting it straight about the industries pricing idiosyncrasies.
    Congrats on getting your Nowotny maidened especially in nerve testing winds. Keep those Axis birds in the air so the rest of us have some targets.
    Thanks. I do kinda have a thing for crooked cross aircraft, don't I? :-) In an RCG Thread, a few minutes ago, I was just advising a friend that he needs to get a crooked cross warbird or two, to keep his P-51, P-38, P-47, and F4U honest. Believe it or not, I do actually have some 'Good Guy' warbirds. LOL

Sometimes, on topics like this (foamy pricing), I'm tempted to tell myself, "Let it go, Indiana. Let it go." LOL
    I never expect inexpensive foamies to have have the same quality of components that I'd put into an ARF that I'm outfitting on my own. Cheap components is a large reason that foamies are as inexpensive as they are. I think that many flyers that have gotten into this hobby after foamies had become 'good,' don't really understand that a 1.5m warbird ARF would probably exceed $1000 bucks, if you were putting the electronics in it yourself. I don't expect EFlite foamies to have the same quality as a kit-build or an ARF. What gets my goat about HH-family warbirds is that they want to dumb-down warbirds by putting SAFE-select crap in them and have recently started putting SMART components in them (and, of course, wanting their customers to buy SMART charging systems). I think it's stupid for a person who needs SAFE, to be flying warbirds. (Well, with that said, I've heard the argument and can't argue against it, that if a guy just wants a Mustang to fly lazy circles around the sky, what's wrong with him getting a SAFE Mustang?) So, by dumbing down their aircraft, they're jacking up the prices for those of us who won't use that stuff. Then, on top of that, they figure that if they charge more, customers will assume that it's a better product because it costs more than the competition. With that said, AS3X is a very fine 3-axis stabilization system. The planes that I have with AS3X fly amazingly well. Even though I don't need AS3X in planes like the 1.5m FW-190, I'd never turn AS3X off, or swap the receiver. So, one good thing, and a bunch of bad things....
    Let it go, Indiana. Let it go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X