Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NICE! Was the 360Kv a drop in or did you have to mod the mount? Looks great...Love that vertical! What ESC? Seems like that could swing my HSD prop then!

Here's mine painted up as Zombie. Overall it looks good I think. I haven't put the stars and bars on the side aft fuselage yet because I am debating making those black invasion stripes wider. They came from Callie and they are not quite as wide as I hoped, and they are glossy where I would prefer flat or matte like the white. The reflective nature of the metallic silver paint I used turned out to really accentuate the foam cells which was a bummer. But overall it looks pretty good! What do you guys think? Should I paint wider black invasion stripes or keep as is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	zombie1.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	59699

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Looks great Aros! I do vote for the wider stripes though, looks too nice to neglect that detail. As for the motor mounting, everything is covered in post #235 on the previous page. Basically just opened up the cowl a bit and had to redrill some of the X mount holes. I used a 125A gecko ESC for this combo as well.

Comment

• Thanks! I'll check that out. Yeah I am going to definitely paint the black stripes on. It's a lot more masking and painting but it will look a lot better.
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Delta..........that power climb was awesome and makes me want to install my spare 5060 but I just can't get past the observations I made of that mod on post 237 :rolleyes:.
          So besides having the collection sickness that a lot others have, the mad modder in me is even worse.
          I took the stock 4258-460 out of the Razor and stuck it in the P-40B because it can handle the 6S battery size.
          Took the 4258-650 from the Warhawk and put it in the F4U-4 and the 4250-580 that I had transplanted into the Corsair last year is now going into my Dauntless to replace it's 4250-540.
          The 540 will go into the Bearcat using the Corsair 14" prop when I get some more buying beans collected.
          I now need to order that 4258-550 motor to try with the 16" prop on the Razor so that measurements can be done and posted and so that Aros doesn't get bloated from eating too much corn.;)
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I think I'm going to try the 4258-550 motor as well.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I removed the glossy black stripe decals, masked off and hit it with flat black in a rattle can. MUCH better! Took her out and flew her...Got her trimmed in and flying on rails. She looks like a million bucks on a fly by with this livery!! Came in for a 2 wheel greaser only for the wheel to go flying off again! So my E clip replacement didn't hold either, even though I hit it with some CA for insurance. So I popped another one on tonight and this time I gave it some dabs of epoxy. If THAT doesn't hold the dang clip I am at a loss.

Finished up the fine detail paint work tonight including getting the white and black invasion stripes aligned in the flap gaps (the photo below was taken before I did the final detail work) so it looks seamless with flaps deployed. It's the little scale details that rows my boat, lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zombiemaiden2.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	59741
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• That P-47 is BEAUTIFUL with no freakin wheels.....;):D

Did you use old style price tag stickers for your masking on the checkerboard area?

Comment

• Looks beautiful! Totally agree that the flat black looks much better. Looking forward to the reports on how the 550kv works out as well. Would definitely be better for balance, since with my setup the battery has to be secured aft of the sliding tray for proper CG

Comment

• Nice looking livery Aros :cool:. How difficult was the factory decal scheme to remove?
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks fellas!

TomC - I painted the cowl white and had Callie send me the black checkerboard decals. Two sheets, 1 for each side of the cowl. Made the process go so much quicker.

OV10 - I painted over most the original decals. I have a 400 policy. If the model costs more than $400 I remove all the stock decals before painting a new livery. Anything under $400, I paint over (most) of them, lol. :)

The one thing I really wish FMS would improve is the density of their foam. I get that this is a light foam which keeps the model itself light (It looks so heavy until you pick it up) for better performance with their stock setup but it's easy to make dents and impressions unintentionally. The foam cells are as prevalent as ever as well. The white and black invasion stripes helped hide a lot of that but the silver was really revealing, and not in a good way. Still, I shouldn't complain because the end result turned out as good as I could have expected. Has that composite look from 10 feet away.

;)

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Looks fantastic Aros. I wouldn't worry about the invasion stripes in the flap gap. The didn't paint inside the "gap" on the real aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                          Looks fantastic Aros. I wouldn't worry about the invasion stripes in the flap gap. The didn't paint inside the "gap" on the real aircraft.
                          Thanks Beeg! I've seen warbirds that did have the gap painted as well...Perhaps they were contemporary models never in battle? Either way it sure looks cool. ;)
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Looks great Aros! I hear what you're saying about the FMS foam. You can feel the difference right away if you're used to Freewing or FlightLine. What did originally on BBD and every other airplane, is to coat them with at least three coats of Varathane or Minwax in the case of my earlier birds. I think BBD has five coats, but she feels a tough as nails. You can work it into the foam cells to fill the micro gaps and then paint over the whole thing with whatever color you want. There are some great silver acrylics out there, we have a paint code section in the painting tips and tricks section. In the case of my RocHobby Waco, the cells still show so I got out my jug of white acrylic house paint and repainted all the white areas. Good bye foam cells. The beauty of anything water based is that you're not really adding much weight after the water dries. Worth a try.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Good to know Grossman, I am always looking for new tips and tricks for painting/hiding foam cells. I laid down a couple coats of water-based Polycrylic to seal the foam before painting thinking that would help but the enamel metallic silver I chose really caused the cells to rise a bit, like being exposed to the Sun for a few minutes too long. The day these foam birds no longer show a single cell imprint will be a day of rejoice for sure.

Flew her today...Put my Mobius on the port-side H-stab. This is a fun bird and she's actually pretty swift bone stock. I had a couple low WOT passes that impressed my friend. Gotta love that low wing load!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Care to share how you mounted that Mobius?
                                AMA 1102566

Comment

• Absolutely. I plopped her down on the H stab with Gorilla tape and yes I had to clean up the mess with touch up paint after. ;)
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• yeah not gonna do that lol. Wonder if we can mount them to where the drop tanks are. I might take apart a corsair tank I have here and glue the mount to the mobious.
                                    AMA 1102566

Comment

• Good idea...If I didn't mind painting as much as I do I wouldn't tape my cam all over the place like I tend to do. :)
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• F106DeltaDart, You have a private message from me. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Comment

• Originally posted by TomC View Post
                                          F106DeltaDart, You have a private message from me. Thanks in advance for your help.:)
                                          No problem Tom! Just sent you a response.

Comment

Working...
                                          X