Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks AkumaZeto. What is the motor you used? Did you need to upgrade the ESC?

Thanks

Comment

• Hey AZFlyer. Most have gone to the 650 out of the P40 war hawk with a 100 amp esc with very good results. I have the motor for my snoots sniper now but not the esc yet.
      ​​
      Dewey l

Comment

• That's what I'm thinking. Is the upgrade to the ESC necessary? The P-40 has the same 70 amp ESC as the P-51. Is it because of the 4-blade prop vs. a 3-blade?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

You're very welcome, I'm getting five minutes with about 40% left on a 4S 5500mAh, I would think the 4000mAh would go five with about 15% left. I'll try it tomorrow and see.
          I know you were probably glued to the tube all day long..............but I still was expecting some facts from you because............well you've been the front man on this Raider prop mod :rolleyes:
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

I know you were probably glued to the tube all day long..............but I still was expecting some facts from you because............well you've been the front man on this Raider prop mod :rolleyes:
            I'm sorry, it was so windy today I flew the L4 Cub...we have a fly-in tomorrow and I'll try to run a couple 4000s through her.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I'm sorry, it was so windy today I flew the L4 Cub...we have a fly-in tomorrow and I'll try to run a couple 4000s through her.
              TI.....No apologies are needed man, I knew that we'll get it ;) Was thinkin maybe I could get you to self confess that the flying streak had somehow inexcusably come to an end but the L4 saved your bacon........HA
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
                For anyone who owns the FMS 1500mm P-47.... how would you describe the speed of this plane? Reason I ask: I have the 1450mm FMS P-51 with the stock KV540 motor, and it is really too slow. I'm worried about that with this plane.

Any insight to share to help me make a decision? thanks

Funny you ask this, I am wanting either a P-51Beautiful Doll OR this new P47 but I am confused with these 2 planes...I do want the most powerful of the 2 in stock configurations. I have lots of wind to deal with So the more power the better....:)

Comment

TI.....No apologies are needed man, I knew that we'll get it ;) Was thinkin maybe I could get you to self confess that the flying streak had somehow inexcusably come to an end but the L4 saved your bacon........HA
                  No worries there, unless I'm dead, in jail or the hospital I will be flying.
                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by TomC View Post

Funny you ask this, I am wanting either a P-51 Beautiful Doll OR this new P-47 but I am confused with these 2 planes...I do want the most powerful of the 2 in stock configurations. I have lots of wind to deal with So the more power the better....:)
                    Hey Tom, as I've said many times, the Doll is a great airplane, she's never let me down, even when I've done some dumb things. I've flown mine for two season now and have never replaced anything due to flight damage ( read dumbage). I have, however, replaced the motor and the ESC and upgraded all the servos to metal geared ones. Also got rid of the snap type clevises and installed ball link systems throughout. Now, I went with the FMS 580 kv motor and a 85A Mantis ESC and she does fine here in Windy Wyoming. We're at 5000 feet so the zip tie prop mod helped as well, but in hindsight, after flying my 1400 mm FMS P-40, I think I would have gone with the 650 kv in BBD. A lot of guys have used that motor in their P-51's with great success. The one thing I'm interested in trying is a 5s battery with the present system. Lon runs a 5s in his Iron Ass P-51 using the same ESC and the FW 580kv motor and says it works fine. The guys are talking up a storm on the P-47 as to what prop/motor/ESC/battery combination will give you the best in speed and looks as well. I haven't heard too much on how she flies stock yet, but Ryan should be coming out with a video soon so we can see how she does.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• I maidened her today. The maiden was completely bone stock (6S 5000 on stock prop). Flies very lightweight. I think the CG was a touch too tail heavy...Once I trimmed her out she flew great. Stock power is definitely not going to win races but works great for scale flying. Looks really good in the air. Nimble and gentle. With flaps she lands easily. No pucker factor.

We then went back to my buddy's place to get the HSD A-1 prop on her. After some finagling (his reamer wasn't quite large enough) with the dremel and a couple attempts with heat shrink and having to add a washer, the prop was finally seated right and ready to turn some RPMs. We threw his 5S 3000 40C LiPo in her and ran her up static on a wattmeter. 75 amps @ 1200 watts. So pushing the motor but thinking since it's static, the amps will relax once unloaded in flight. Took her back to the school, started the takeoff roll and she really cranked over left from the torque and although I thought I was giving enough right rudder she was headed for the curb and school...I pulled up at WOT and she just barely missed the curb, I was able to negotiate her around trees and the school and got her out of there and flying but you could definitely hear the motor was barking.

I pulled back the power to around 55-65% where she felt very sluggish. I kept her in a couple pattern flights and brought her down. I was surprised by the lack of thrust and power. There's no way I could see how a 4S would even have the authority to get her off the ground. If the 5S struggled, how could a 4S possibly work? Granted it was an older battery but still...Definitely going back to stock for now until I figure out the perfect motor replacement.

Just for shiz and giggles I lost a C-clip on my starboard gear where it collapsed on the taxi back to my car. Thankfully it happened on a slow taxi. Now I need to find a C-clip the right size for it. Also noticed I have tiny screws missing that secure the retract fairings to the struts.

The good news is she flies fine stock. I will just have to live without a more proper-scale-sized prop on her for now. Wing-loading feels light with this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cclip.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	58919

Click image for larger version

Name:	maiden1.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	58920
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Wow Aros. Sorry to hear about 5s seeming not to be right as well as lossing the c clip. The Dang wind and rain kept me on the ground and the forecast says it's going to be worse tomorrow. How was the speed vertical on stock though. I'm hopeful it is at least better than the mustang stock.
                        Dewey l

Comment

• Speed vertical was marginal. Feels like your typical FMS stock warbird speed to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing as I really enjoy scale flying but if you want this girl to really zip a power upgrade will be necessary on some level.

Here's the numbers today from the wattmeter test for both 4S and 5S using the HSD A-1 prop...

4S 3000mAh 35C - 49 Apk, 629 Wmax
                          5S 3000mAh 40C - 75 Apk, 1267 Wmax
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• A drop of med super glue on the C clip will do the trick..I learned this after 32 years of RC car racing...As far as lacking power IDK..I am fairly new to planes.:)

I did get a lot more speed/power out of my E-flite P-47 1.2 by grinding on the prop adapter and using a 11x7 2 blade prop..:D

Comment

• Aros, that sounds very familiar. I maidened mine this morning with the stock motor, 4S and the 1700mm prop and had almost identical numbers to your 5S setup, with the same results. Very lackluster speed and climb, a bit tail heavy, and I busted the prop on landing. The constant rains here have turned our geotex runway into a minefield of potholes. I am going to try putting in the 360kv setup and 6S, my motor made some no-so-pleasant noises during my flight, and I am not going to risk further flight with it. On top on that, my belly tank became stuck on the model, and I ended up ripping a good sized chunk of foam out of the bottom of the fuselage when I was trying to get it off. And that was despite trying to hold the rail from moving with a pliers.. Not the greatest day of flying. I guess I'll try again next week after I order a few more blades.

Comment

• With the 4000mAh I got five minutes with about 25% left...and yes Aros, the wing load is very light. This is a great looking plane with lots of detail but I don't like the soft foam, I wish they had used EPO foam, a better motor and scale prop.
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Thanx TI.........Sounds like a 6 min cruise will get Gilligan home safe on the 4000
                                  Warbird Charlie

Comment

Thanx TI.........Sounds like a 6 min cruise will get Gilligan home safe on the 4000
                                    another minute with 25% after 5 ?

Comment

• Most likely, but that's cause I fly scale without my throttle being jammed to the firewall ;)
                                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

• gotcha!! flying style makes a lot of difference...I tend to push the firewall.:)

Comment

• Bummer F106DeltaDart...We've all had those days we wish the flying would have turned out better. At least we didn't come home with her in pieces. I would advise those about to maiden with any upgrade prop to not bother if you are running the stock motor. The only way a larger prop will work is with a more robust motor, period. The good news is you don't notice the stock prop size when she's flyin'. ;)

TI...I totally agree with the foam. I commented to my buddy today in fact how I don't like how soft it is. Easily could leave finger marks or impressions if you apply any real weight to it. Still a great model overall though. With the right power combo it could be a fantastic ride.
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X