Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey you old Bronco jockey, looks great. Tell you what Warbird, if you are that sick of NY, you are welcome to visit me in Norcal whenever you want. Wife says no problem. I'll put you up, feed you, and you can fly all day if you want at my field - no AMA membership required:P. I have a couple planes here that aren't on your list. Just bring your magic "mad modder" bag, 'cause I have one condition - you (and your elves) have to work in the shop all night on my planes ( all day if it's raining). It's been very rainy lately, so come soon;). And if it is raining at my house, 90℅ likely it is :Sun:at Apollo 8 hours away. Honestly, I would consider it a true honor to have you come visit, no BS. Summertime and 110°F might be a bad idea though:Devil:. So come on out OV10, you can be "Snowbird Charlie" for a while.:bluecool

Comment

• Westy..............I'm humbled by your respect. ;)
      If my plans for the 26' toy hauler come to fruition, my comment to my sweetie just last evening is that this year could be a coast to coast summer adventure starting with NEFI.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
        You know, I'm getting to the point that I let Charlie get one first and the gleen all the knowledge from his mod's and test results. I have to ask myself WHY doesn't Motion R/C see the value of giving him a new aircraft to evaluate??
        I've seen airplanes given to others who hardly make an appearance on H.S. and never give information to the detail that we get from Charlie (and granted, from some of the other Squawkers too, we know who they are).
        Let's face it, there is a level of talent here that C.B and a few other display that would warrant having them evaluate a new aircraf. Maybe Motion is missing out on an opportunity here.

Grossman56
        :Ligthbulb: :Don't-tell-Anyone: :Thinking: ;)
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I've been thinking 'bout a "Flyin' Safari" myself. NEFI isn't that far away...

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
            Westy..............I'm humbled by your respect. ;)
            If my plans for the 26' toy hauler come to fruition, my comment to my sweetie just last evening is that this year could be a coast to coast summer adventure starting with NEFI.
            You would be welcome here in TX if you happened to be driving through as well! Just let me know and I can keep a flight station open for ya. Temperature and weather here have been fantastic here lately. 70 degrees and less then 5mph wind this morning. That goes for any of you guys as well! I would love to go somewhere like NEFI eventually, but my little Ford Taurus wouldn't be able to take both my planes and baggage at the same time, it's pretty much maxed out taking 5 planes to the field.

I did put 2 flights on my P-47 today and did a couple of full throttle passes to test out the upper end of the speed envelope. Doesn't need over half throttle at all, but it is nice to have the extra power if needed. 2 flights at 10 and 12 minutes on my 5500 and 5800 6S. Here is the first part of my flight with the high speed passes before my iPad ran out of memory:

Afterwords, I plugged in my ztw ESC to get the max current. The ESC claims it was 12A..:Confused:. Something isn't right.. Next time I am at the field I will do a static test with a separate wattmeter. Don't know if something got messed up with the data recording somewhere, but that seems like the only logical explanation..

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
              You would be welcome here in TX if you happened to be driving through as well! Just let me know and I can keep a flight station open for ya. Temperature and weather here have been fantastic here lately. 70 degrees and less then 5mph wind this morning. That goes for any of you guys as well! I would love to go somewhere like NEFI eventually, but my little Ford Taurus wouldn't be able to take both my planes and baggage at the same time, it's pretty much maxed out taking 5 planes to the field.

I did put 2 flights on my P-47 today and did a couple of full throttle passes to test out the upper end of the speed envelope. Doesn't need over half throttle at all, but it is nice to have the extra power if needed. 2 flights at 10 and 12 minutes on my 5500 and 5800 6S. Here is the first part of my flight with the high speed passes before my iPad ran out of memory:

Afterwords, I plugged in my ztw ESC to get the max current. The ESC claims it was 12A..:Confused:. Something isn't right.. Next time I am at the field I will do a static test with a separate wattmeter. Don't know if something got messed up with the data recording somewhere, but that seems like the only logical explanation..
              DD..............Very :Cool: on the offer, I imagine that if any of us Squawkers were on the road and were near any one else's field a hearty welcome would also occur. ;)
              Speaking of that, in my neck of the woods there are a couple great clubs only separated by 20 miles which I know that someone visiting from out of town is more than welcome to the Aero Guidance Society of which I belong to and I have confidence in saying the same about Twowingtj's club the Binghamton Aeros who is our neighbor.
              About that ZTW amp reading..............of course it ain't right............I generate more than that when thinking about a mod to a warbird :Smug: I just gotta be careful of capacitance build up :wacky
              Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                You know, I'm getting to the point that I let Charlie get one first and the gleen all the knowledge from his mod's and test results. I have to ask myself WHY doesn't Motion R/C see the value of giving him a new aircraft to evaluate??
                I've seen airplanes given to others who hardly make an appearance on H.S. and never give information to the detail that we get from Charlie (and granted, from some of the other Squawkers too, we know who they are).
                Let's face it, there is a level of talent here that C.B and a few other display that would warrant having them evaluate a new aircraf. Maybe Motion is missing out on an opportunity here.

Grossman56
                Paging Uncle Alpha...Paging Uncle Alpha...Please pick up the white courtesy phone... ;)
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                  Nice data OV10, thank you! I am going to snag that 550 and 85A ZTW because it's killing me to see my Raider Prop just sitting there collecting dust!

So I can't recall, did you need a new motor mount and what mods precisely are required? Appreciate it!
                  Sorry if I missed this earlier, but where are you guys getting the Olympus 4258-550kv motors and 85A ZTW speed controls from? Also regarding batteries, I have several Admiral 3600 mAh batteries for my Flightline P-38. I stacked 2 on top of each other. Length and width are same as Admiral 5000 mAh 6s. Height is 1mm taller ( 30mm x 2 =60mm instead of 59mm). weight is 17 grams more ( minor ). Best of all I would have 7200 mAh ! I'm thinking this should work great with this motor, esc, 16" prop, etc., setup or am I missing something?

Comment

• Hi rzing, the Olympus' motor can be found on the Olympus' Spare Parts page:
                    At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

And the 85A ZTW ESC can be found on the Olympus' Upgrades page:
                    At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Thanks!
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha, And I was thinking that for once I'd just order and build this thing bone stock. I blame this on my miss-spent youth of "modifying" plastic model kits. Heck, anybody can follow directions.... but what's the fun in that! :Ligthbulb:

Comment

• Ha, I'm in the same boat with you. Even if a model these days doesn't NEED modification, it's difficult for me to avoid personalizing at least something about it.
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I have a question regarding a motor. Would a 50mm X65 mm motor fit with the 1500mm P47?

Comment

• Originally posted by doneod1 View Post
                            I have a question regarding a motor. Would a 50mm X65 mm motor fit with the 1500mm P47?
                            Yep it can be done with some hoggin out of the faux radial. Look back through this thread where F106DeltDart shows/talks about modding his with the FMS 5060-360kV motor and used the 17" prop from the FMS 1700 Corsair/P-47.
                            His prop sticks quite a bit forward so a 65mm that your contemplating is really gonna kinda make the prop look out of sorts from the cowl distance wise.

EDIT: I found his exact post. ;)
                            https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...9094#post59094
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Thanks, OV10, I found a 5065 that supposedly does the following as set up motor can take up to 8S I don't know if these numbers are better than the 5060-360 that comes with the 1700mm. I know that it lists a 3 blade, so I imagine the 4th blade will make a difference.
                              MA 3-Blade 16 x 10 voltage 20.7 amps 74.8 thrust 13 LBS watts generated with set up 1550

Comment

• So, I plan on finally getting some good data on the 360kv setup tomorrow. I threw in my 100A Castle ESC that is going to go in my 500 sized Apache, and I will have the full flight log of data. Hopefully the weather decides to cooperate.

Comment

• Sweet...Looking forward to the data! So I have lost count...Who all here is trying out modified power systems for the HSD A-1 prop? Mine is collecting dust and I know there's been talk of a 4S setup working...Just trying to keep track of the data so I know what my best option is to go with...

Tired of seeing that HSD prop collecting dust in my hangar...Mocking me. :Silly:
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                    Sweet...Looking forward to the data! So I have lost count...Who all here is trying out modified power systems for the HSD A-1 prop? Mine is collecting dust and I know there's been talk of a 4S setup working...Just trying to keep track of the data so I know what my best option is to go with...

Tired of seeing that HSD prop collecting dust in my hangar...Mocking me. :Silly:
                                    In a recap Aros only TiredIron , yourself, and I have tried anything with the Raider prop.
                                    F106 tried the 5060-360 power but he went with 1700 Corsair prop.
                                    The Raider prop would work on that 360 power easily but the HUGE cowl/prop gap is too much IMO.
                                    So I did the data mining for ya..............
                                    TI's try on stock 6S setup basically roached his new motor.
                                    You tried the stock motor on 4S & 5S with these results.
                                    https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...8932#post58932
                                    I went with the 550 motor from the Olympus on 4S with good results and gave tech data on post#278
                                    https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...0572#post60572

IMO, the best results so far are mine. ;) :Smug:
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Ah thanks Charlie! Really appreciate the data round up!

So question...Have you actually flown on that setup? Your post suggested what you thought it would do but you hadn't flown it yet at that time. I am skeptical of a 4S setup because even my 5S setup was a DOG. Thanks again!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Got in 3 flights on the P-47 this morning, this time with some good flight data. Peak amp draw was 79A, only in the full throttle climbs. Ran a 6S 5800 and 5500, with about 10 minutes on each, and landing with 25% still in tank. OV10, I think the prop/cowl gap looks better in person than in the photos. I would prefer a better solution though, would be nice if there was a 5050 360kv out there to get the same performance with a shorter can. Just hate to try another setup after spending quite a bit on this one.

Comment

• Wow that's impressive on the flight time there F106! Amp draw looks very reasonable...
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X