Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
    Dang Charlie, it looks nice!
    It would appear even to a layman like me, that this is the 'proper' prop for this plane, as well as the motor/ESC combo.
    The good side is the battery doesn't have to be an expensive 6s but a 4s which all us warbird fanatics have laying around in heaps (metaphorically speaking)
    The performance sounds impressive as well, is there a chance that you could run 2x 4s for twice the 'gas tank', or is that going to add too much weight to outweigh the flight time increase?
    The only hurdle I can see for the rest of us is the availability of the HSD Skyraider prop. What's your secret??
    3D printing??

Grossman56

Should be able to stack two 3000 size 4S Admirals. The recommended 6S 5000 is 751g and measure 137x45x59 and the 4S 3000 is 310g and measures 135x44x24.
    So the advantage for the 4S set up is a 1000 more in the gas tank and 130g lighter in weight
    No secret Dan on the prop, they are still avail at a couple places ( and I wish I had a 3D printer !!! )

Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I told you :) ...now paint that hub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170111_233136713_iOS.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	60598
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
        Looks great, and the numbers are right on! I wonder if it would turn the 1700 prop with a 100A ESC.. That would solve the spare availability issue, and the I really like the more scale blade shape/bigger size of the 1700 prop.
        Did you run any numbers on your current set-up? just curious.

Comment

Looks great, and the numbers are right on! I wonder if it would turn the 1700 prop with a 100A ESC.. That would solve the spare availability issue, and the I really like the more scale blade shape/bigger size of the 1700 prop.
          I don't think the motor has the capability to handle that much required power for the 17" prop cause it is only rated at a max of 70 and my numbers show that it is being pushed in the static run with the 16" at full bore.
          On the mechanical side of it the prop shaft from the 5060 motor will bolt up to the 4258 because the bolt hole spacing on each is 14mm.
          I do have the 17" set-up from my demised Seagull Raider but at the moment am not willing to risk a brand new motor to see if it can hack it so I'll cross that bridge if I have to down the road but for now the 16" is looking good to me.;)
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
            I told you :) ...now paint that hub.
            That got done after I got the numbers posted :cool: and I think I told you about the 550 and you followed!! :D
            Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by TomC View Post

Did you run any numbers on your current set-up? just curious.
              Not yet, my wattmeter doesn't have EC5s so I haven't run it. The ESC has a peak amp draw data recording, so I'll probably check it out this weekend.

Comment

• OV10 Do you think 2 4S 4000 40c Admirals could be stuffed in? I have loads of these lipos. :)

Comment

Not yet, my wattmeter doesn't have EC5s so I haven't run it. The ESC has a peak amp draw data recording, so I'll probably check it out this weekend.
                  if you do get readings, Could you Please post if you get a chance? This newbe is trying to decide on 2 different combos now..lol.

Comment

OV10 Do you think 2 4S 4000 40c Admirals could be stuffed in? I have loads of these lipos. :)
                    TomC......I have a grunch of 4000's also but 2 won't work.
                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Dang..:( I have 12 of the 40004s and 10 50006s..So, I could be better off with the 360kv and 1700mm prop on 6s...?

Maybe..the extra weight of the 360kv on 6s will help with the lightness feeling of this plane...IDK.

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

That got done after I got the numbers posted :cool: and I think I told you about the 550 and you followed!! :D
                        I still haven't changed the motor :redface:
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

if you do get readings, Could you Please post if you get a chance? This newbe is trying to decide on 2 different combos now..lol.
                          Will do.

Comment

• Nice data OV10, thank you! I am going to snag that 550 and 85A ZTW because it's killing me to see my Raider Prop just sitting there collecting dust!

So I can't recall, did you need a new motor mount and what mods precisely are required? Appreciate it!
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Fellas - It may be my own perspective and...I only have two flights for a total of 12minutes of air time on this bird.......seems like the Aileron roll rate is pretty slow...has anyone really gained any roll rate by flying without the ordinance package . I ask because I increased my Aileron throw via DX6 transmitter settings up to 120%.....not much more to increase after this. Just wondering if anyone can make a performance comparison with and without the bombs and rocket pods.

Thanks in Advance,
                              TwistedGrin
                              MPD 75

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                Nice data OV10, thank you! I am going to snag that 550 and 85A ZTW because it's killing me to see my Raider Prop just sitting there collecting dust!

So I can't recall, did you need a new motor mount and what mods precisely are required? Appreciate it!
                                Aros,
                                Use the standard Xmount (it comes on the 460) but if you don't want to remove it here's the link: https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...7d-motor-mount
                                Use the P-40B motor shaft , it gets the prop off the cowl with proper spacing. https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...mm-motor-shaft
                                The 550 comes with the thinner based motor shaft and won't allow the prop to clear sufficiently ;) (It's same one guys were using when doing the 5S 550 mod to the Stangs but they used that thinner one to bring the spinner back to being correct spacing because of the 8mm extra can length between the stock 4250-580 and the 4258-550)
                                As far as the 16" prop on the shaft, I just temporarily used the washer/nut that comes on the P-40 shaft and tighten the prop against the hexagon key to cause a slight indent into the prop and then used a dremel engraving bit to hog out that indent by a 1/16" and that's all it needed to key up snuggly and no shrink sleeving or bushing of the shaft required. Put the bullet spinner on and your good to go. :)
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Thanks buddy! Appreciate the detailed info and links! :pilotidea
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Finished getting it together this morning. I did a spring mod to the tail gear doors. Couldn't find on this forum or the other if any owners had any complaints about the stock closing springs but is was basically a crap arrangement so I used a similar setup that FL used on the Tigercat and it is a much better operation with no more doors flapping when the tail gear is turned!! I also attached the bomb pylons with neodynium magnets cause I just like my armament removable. I also used some slit pushrod tube over the wing bolts to minimize the slop that has been noted on the wing movement and I also made the wing connector on the fuselage side moveable by not having it hard point mounted(removed screws). Like everyone else that has basically remarked about the softer texture and lighter weight of this airframe, I'm in the same boat as those that are not excited about how easily it dents up but at the price I snagged this am not gonna whine too loud. Hope FMS goes back to the texture of the P-40B foam but if they don't I'm not gonna get all bent out of shape(like the foam) about it cause FlightLine is taking over the show now.
                                    Now am just waiting for this :Poo: weather of upstate NY to go away. :Crying2:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0552.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	60782Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0553.JPG Views:	1 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	60783
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Nicely done OV10! :Cool:
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• You know, I'm getting to the point that I let Charlie get one first and the gleen all the knowledge from his mod's and test results. I have to ask myself WHY doesn't Motion R/C see the value of giving him a new aircraft to evaluate??
                                        I've seen airplanes given to others who hardly make an appearance on H.S. and never give information to the detail that we get from Charlie (and granted, from some of the other Squawkers too, we know who they are).
                                        Let's face it, there is a level of talent here that C.B and a few other display that would warrant having them evaluate a new aircraf. Maybe Motion is missing out on an opportunity here.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                          Finished getting it together this morning. I did a spring mod to the tail gear doors. Couldn't find on this forum or the other if any owners had any complaints about the stock closing springs but is was basically a crap arrangement so I used a similar setup that FL used on the Tigercat and it is a much better operation with no more doors flapping when the tail gear is turned!! I also attached the bomb pylons with neodynium magnets cause I just like my armament removable. I also used some slit pushrod tube over the wing bolts to minimize the slop that has been noted on the wing movement and I also made the wing connector on the fuselage side moveable by not having it hard point mounted(removed screws). Like everyone else that has basically remarked about the softer texture and lighter weight of this airframe, I'm in the same boat as those that are not excited about how easily it dents up but at the price I snagged this am not gonna whine too loud. Hope FMS goes back to the texture of the P-40B foam but if they don't I'm not gonna get all bent out of shape(like the foam) about it cause FlightLine is taking over the show now.
                                          Now am just waiting for this :Poo: weather of upstate NY to go away. :Crying2:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0552.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	60782Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0553.JPG Views:	1 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	60783
                                          This spring mod works great for the FMS 1500mm P-47D. The original setup by FMS was a joke. I've been flying my plane with this mod since early December last year, it works flawlessly!

Comment

Working...
                                          X