X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

No problem Tom! Just sent you a response.
    Thank- you very much Sir, :D

Comment

• Originally posted by TomC View Post

Thank- you very much Sir, :D
      No problem, glad to help!

Comment

• Gents, we have a Pilot on RCGroups.Com (Barron06) who has encountered an issue with this airframe. His wings have developed just enough slop, at the fuselage wing saddle joint, to cause intermittent disconnection of the connector pins. This of course causes loss of the effected wing servos and retracts. He is flying with a sound system, which "Might" have caused premature wing saddle slop.....from all of the vibration of those transducers..."Maybe". He has a video showing the wings ability to move out around 5mm from the bottom - perhaps just enough to cause the loose connection of the electrical pin boards. He has loosened the connection boards from the wing/fuselage to allow them to move just little bit.

I hate to type this up....not to cause harm or angst or confusion......just check your wing saddle movement often I guess - and keep the pin connection in mind should you encounter loss of electrics on your wings.

My FMS 1500mm P-47 Razorback is scheduled for delivery tomorrow....looking forward to those 9-10minute flights

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Intresting...I was wondering about if this could end up happening as we take our wings on an off...larger pin type connectors are known for this after wear and tear...maybe multi connectors were the way to go.....

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
            Gents, we have a Pilot on RCGroups.Com (Barron06) who has encountered an issue with this airframe. His wings have developed just enough slop, at the fuselage wing saddle joint, to cause intermittent disconnection of the connector pins. This of course causes loss of the effected wing servos and retracts. He is flying with a sound system, which "Might" have caused premature wing saddle slop.....from all of the vibration of those transducers..."Maybe". He has a video showing the wings ability to move out around 5mm from the bottom - perhaps just enough to cause the loose connection of the electrical pin boards. He has loosened the connection boards from the wing/fuselage to allow them to move just little bit.

I hate to type this up....not to cause harm or angst or confusion......just check your wing saddle movement often I guess - and keep the pin connection in mind should you encounter loss of electrics on your wings.

My FMS 1500mm P-47 Razorback is scheduled for delivery tomorrow....looking forward to those 9-10minute flights

TwistedGrin
            TG.....I did see the latest video that Barron06 did last evening.
            That inherent slop in the wing saddle which most likely cannot be minimized and it is probably more real than what has been observed or is reported.
            I think his plan of having the fuselage side of the interconnection board to float(for a lack of a better descript) looks to actually be a pretty good idea, that way the constant flexing or pulling of the pins is reduced greatly if not eliminated. Since my wings won't be coming off because I don't have transport issues I think I will go with this idea just to insure no issues due to interrupted controls at an inconvenient time.;) Thanx for throwing that info out on this forum.
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I have about 20 flights on my FMS 1500 mm P-47D now. Besides the total repaint of the aircraft, I did put the tailwheel on a separate channel, and it is slaved to the rudder in a mix so I am able to use a reduced throw on the tailwheel movement. It was too much before being on the same channel as the rudder, now it is ok. The plane flies beautifully, It tracks well on takeoff and landing, and seems to have plenty of power for scale performance even at Denver's altitude (5,900+ feet MSL). I don't really care for the stubby prop, and perhaps I will make a mod with a larger propeller, motor, and ESC in the future. I really love the plug in wings, and so far have not had any issues of them trying to disconnect due to wing slop, no issues there at all. I highly recommend this fun airplane! I added some new photos.

Comment

• In a flexible assembly, floating the electrical connection is safer. There's a reason why hard connections aren't widely used even in much more rigid high performance turbine jets that are large and require disassembling the wing on every trip to and from the airfield. While hard connections are very convenient, and one would think they'd be in wide use on these large aircraft, there's a reason why flexible connections remain the norm.

Davegee, I've said it before but that's a really beautiful paintjob on your aircraft, and is a depiction that I'm sure the pilot and his ground crew would be proud of if they could see it today! This FMS 1500mm P-47 does have satisfyingly good power, and I'm glad to hear it's doing well for you at your high altitude!
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• davegee what a great paint job! I would love to see our birds together for some photo ops and flight video! Great idea about putting your tailwheel on its own channel then slaving to the rudder. I might have to try that out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zombiemaiden3.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	60330
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hey TwitedGrin. I was very interested in your post about the wing stop on the P47. I went to regroup to check it out and couldn't find it. If you would please post a link to it I would greatly appreciate it. I have one and would like to follow this more closely. Thank-you for bringing this to light.
                    Dewey l

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                      I have about 20 flights on my FMS 1500 mm P-47D now. Besides the total repaint of the aircraft, I did put the tailwheel on a separate channel, and it is slaved to the rudder in a mix so I am able to use a reduced throw on the tailwheel movement. It was too much before being on the same channel as the rudder, now it is ok. The plane flies beautifully, It tracks well on takeoff and landing, and seems to have plenty of power for scale performance even at Denver's altitude (5,900+ feet MSL). I don't really care for the stubby prop, and perhaps I will make a mod with a larger propeller, motor, and ESC in the future. I really love the plug in wings, and so far have not had any issues of them trying to disconnect due to wing slop, no issues there at all. I highly recommend this fun airplane! I added some new photos.
                      That sir, is a gorgeous plane...I'm going to repaint mine but just haven't decided what I want yet.

TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• This will be my fix if I develop connection problems.. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey H Lee View Post
                          Hey TwitedGrin. I was very interested in your post about the wing stop on the P47. I went to regroup to check it out and couldn't find it. If you would please post a link to it I would greatly appreciate it. I have one and would like to follow this more closely. Thank-you for bringing this to light.
                          Hello Dewey,
                          Twisted is not on the Squawk that often so I'll help get ya connected.
                          It is on the "FMS 1500 P-47 Razorback" thread on RCG and the specific post that Barron06 did with 2 attached videos is this link:
                          RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I love the repaint of the P-47D to the 78th FG black and white checkerboard nose. Beautiful job! Yes, it would be fun to fly these two planes together sometime for a photo shoot! I hope this technology of electrical plug-ins for wings will continue on future airplanes. I have found it a wonderful new way of doing business, and I have not had a single issue putting together/taking apart, or flying the plane with these new units on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

That sir, is a gorgeous plane...I'm going to repaint mine but just haven't decided what I want yet.
                              That is a wonderful dilemma to have regarding what livery to paint your airplane! There were a ton of really cool paint schemes from all over the world that can be chosen to tell a special story or have that special, unique look out at the local flying field. In my case, I am close to the 56th FG, but I didn't have a lot of choices with the Hamilton Standard propeller that comes with the model as most had the Curtiss electric prop and spinner. But I always liked 'I Wanted Wings/Button Nose."
                              Have fun researching and choosing which paint scheme you finally settle on. Callie Graphics can supply virtually anything you need or want, based on what you decide on. I just added the crew names and the kill markers onto the fuselage after I found a photo of the internet.

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I am in the same boat. Thinking of doing Snafu...

Comment

• Snafu would be a sweet one. I am a sucker for the checkerboard nose and invasion stripes on the Razorback.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

I am in the same boat. Thinking of doing Snafu...
                                    That would be a great looking paint scheme!!

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                      Delta..........that power climb was awesome and makes me want to install my spare 5060 but I just can't get past the observations I made of that mod on post 237 :rolleyes:.
                                      So besides having the collection sickness that a lot others have, the mad modder in me is even worse.
                                      I took the stock 4258-460 out of the Razor and stuck it in the P-40B because it can handle the 6S battery size.
                                      Took the 4258-650 from the Warhawk and put it in the F4U-4 and the 4250-580 that I had transplanted into the Corsair last year is now going into my Dauntless to replace it's 4250-540.
                                      The 540 will go into the Bearcat using the Corsair 14" prop when I get some more buying beans collected.
                                      I now need to order that 4258-550 motor to try with the 16" prop on the Razor so that measurements can be done and posted and so that Aros doesn't get bloated from eating too much corn.;)
                                      OK Pilots...........the results are in for the 550 motor with the 16" Raider prop and a ZTW 85A Gecko ESC on default settings in a static test.

I did a 100% throttle for 15 seconds using an Admiral 2200 4S 45C fully charged to 100%. Results are:
                                      10% used with 90% remaining capacity on battery. Temps on motor and ESC were insignificant(read warm)
                                      Vm = 12.43 ; Ah = .164 ; Ap = 88.85 ; Wp = 1142.3 ; Wh = 2.1
                                      Next was 75% throttle for 30 seconds which used another 30% with 60% capacity remaining. Temps cool
                                      Vm = 13.04 ; Ah = .329 ; Ap = 45.52 ; Wp = 618.1 ; Wh = 4.3
                                      Last was 50% throttle for 30 seconds which used another 10% with 50% capacity remaining. Temps, didn't even bother to check
                                      Vm = 14.66 ; Ah = .213 ; Ap = 28.64 ; Wp = 433.6 ; Wh = 3.1

So based on the above readings I can expect about 6-8 minutes on a 4000mAh 40C Admiral with mixed throttle management and I also have a couple 6000 which would add another couple minutes to the total.
                                      At full throttle with 1100+ watts I should have no issue going vertical past the FAA ceiling(or my eyesight :p ) within the 5-15 sec burst.
                                      So now I just need for this upstate NY crap weather to go away to maiden the Razor, Tiger and a handful of others.

The prop shaft that comes on the 550 is the thinner base adapter so I swapped it with the 650 P-40 motor that I put in the F4U and now both aircraft props look appropriately spaced.
                                      Here's how the prop and motor look on the Razor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0548.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	60573Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0549.JPG Views:	1 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	60574Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0550.JPG Views:	1 Size:	84.2 KB ID:	60575
                                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Dang Charlie, it looks nice!
                                        I t would appear even to a layman like me, that this is the 'proper' prop for this plane, as well as the motor/ESC combo.
                                        The good side is the battery doesn't have to be an expensive 6s but a 4s which all us warbird fanatics have laying around in heaps (metaphorically speaking)
                                        The performance sounds impressive as well, is there a chance that you could run 2x 4s for twice the 'gas tank', or is that going to add too much weight to outweigh the flight time increase?
                                        The only hurdle I can see for the rest of us is the availability of the HSD Skyraider prop. What's your secret??
                                        3D printing??

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Looks great, and the numbers are right on! I wonder if it would turn the 1700 prop with a 100A ESC.. That would solve the spare availability issue, and the I really like the more scale blade shape/bigger size of the 1700 prop.

Comment

Working...
                                          X