Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I have two P40's The camo one and the silver one. The camo one runs 6s and the silver is stock 4s. In order to run 6s safely, I had to change out the prop to a solid three blade and change the spinner, which is slightly smaller in diameter, the 6s system is out of Pilot Ryan's P47 which had a mid air collision at Nefi with OV10's P 47. Gives the P 40 a nice scale like appearance in flight but it will eat stock props as I found out when I lost the prop and spinner in flight. One of the guys later found it and the spinner plate was rounded out! Some of the blades on the silver P 40 are from that incident.
    I wanted the silver one to look scale.
    Sorry, getting off topic.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
      No, I have two P40's The camo one and the silver one. The camo one runs 6s and the silver is stock 4s. In order to run 6s safely, I had to change out the prop to a solid three blade and change the spinner, which is slightly smaller in diameter, the 6s system is out of Pilot Ryan's P47 which had a mid air collision at Nefi with OV10's P 47. Gives the P 40 a nice scale like appearance in flight but it will eat stock props as I found out when I lost the prop and spinner in flight. One of the guys later found it and the spinner plate was rounded out! Some of the blades on the silver P 40 are from that incident.
      I wanted the silver one to look scale.
      Sorry, getting off topic.

Grossman56
      No, not at all. Good info there, and looking forward to photographing any planes you want to put up when we get together.

I took Hairless Joe out again for some more practice. Got a bunch of takeoffs and landings in. Unfortunately, on the LAST landing, I was off to the edge of the runway and ran into one of those big weeds that have grown up along the sides of the runway. Doing repairs now, mostly cosmetic, but it will take all day.

Do you have any days next week where we know the weather will be good that we could meet up to do the photoshoot? Earlier, say around 8 or 8:30 works best for me due to the potential for sun damaging the foam and less winds.

Let me know.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• I'm good for next week, let's see what the weather is like on Wednesday, if not we'll postpone a day. Forecast sounds good on Wed but t storms are predicted on Tues and Fri with rain on the weekend. I'm thinking of heading out tomorrow as well and can make between 8 and 8:30 work .

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

I'm good for next week, let's see what the weather is like on Wednesday, if not we'll postpone a day. Forecast sounds good on Wed but t storms are predicted on Tues and Fri with rain on the weekend. I'm thinking of heading out tomorrow as well and can make between 8 and 8:30 work .

Grossman56
          Sounds good. I'll be going out early tomorrow to test it after making repairs after it hit that weed bush next to the runway on landing this morning. I need to bring my weed whacker out to the field soon!
          I think everything is good to go, just want to take it around the patch a few times. Maybe I'll see you there before I head off for the gym.

Cheers

dave

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	_CAM2219adjsuted.jpg2.jpg.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	352102 Dan Grossman and I got together at our field to try some photos of our respective airplanes. Dan got a few of my Hairless Joe P-47, attached are the best ones. Dan also flew a P-51D and a P-40 that looked great. I'm sending him the photos that I took while he flew and he can decide which ones he wants to post.

I seem to be having an issue with the left wing plug in connector. Might have had an issue with it today while flying. It is intermittent, but affects most all of the functions on the left wing. After takeoff on my first test flight, the left main gear wouldn't come up. I recycled and it came up then and I had a normal landing. However, I noticed that the left flap didn't come down fully upon inspection after landing. Something is amiss with the connectors with the left wing. Will research it further.

If anyone has any experience with a fix for this, I'd appreciate it. I did find on the ground that if I pushed in on the wing just a bit, the connection was restored. Even with taxiing on a rough runway and flying, it still seemed to stay connected, but it is a bit worrying to me...

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM2216.jpgadjusted.jpg Views:	5 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	352078

Comment

• I'd just like to say that Dave's modeling skills are amazing, the pictures really don't do this airplane justice, you have to see it for yourself, just beautiful. I have some pics of it on the ground and will post them here shortly.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Check these out:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5716.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	352168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5717.JPG
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	352169Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5718.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	352170Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5719.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	352171

Great job Dave

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Check these out:

Name:	IMG_5716.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	352168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5717.JPG
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	352169Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5718.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	352170Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5719.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	352171

Great job Dave

Grossman56
                  Thanks, Dan. Nice pics you took.

davegee

Comment

• Had three great flights on the P-47 this morning. I redid the drop tank connection to be more scale, and replaced the kit parts with strong magnets. Today's flights where I carried the drop thank were great, and it is a little higher off the ground to try and keep the bottom of the tank from scraping the runway on some landings.

I got some great sun so I can show details like the scale looking R2800 engine and wires and fittings better.

Name:	IMG-0076.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	352320Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0073.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	352321Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0074.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	352322Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0075.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	352323

Comment

• Looks great Dave!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Really great work! It looks like the full size version.

Comment

• Thanks, boomer108. I've done a number of jugs through the years, big and small. Sorta old hat, now. Great flying planes, I like the wide stance of the gear for ground handling, taking off, and landing. For their hefty size and weight, they performed admirably in ground attack and fighter roles during WWII.

cheers

davegee

Name:	65e24376715252549a72630420fe1296.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	352353

Comment

• hope hh gets them back in stock soon i sold a few planes last week and want this p47

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                              hope hh gets them back in stock soon i sold a few planes last week and want this p47
                              I hope for your sake and everyone else's that they come in soon, too. It was an "odyssey" trying to track down one of them and I'm very glad it worked out. It really is a great flying and very scale looking airplane from FMS. If you haven't had one of these before, you'll be in for a treat when they finally do come back in stock. Unlimited repaint choices, if you choose to do that.

davegee

Comment

• painting and i dont get along well but thanks for the encouraging words dave

Comment

painting and i dont get along well but thanks for the encouraging words dave
                                  Absolutely No need to repaint this airplane, Ron. That's just me, I do that kind of thing. Can't leave well enough alone, I guess...

As you might already know, it comes complete in the livery of a very famous triple ace, Col. Bill "Dinghy" Dunham who served in the Pacific Theater in WWII. It looks very well done from the factory, and the markings are pretty much spot on. If you get one, you should be able to put it together in no time, and have fun flying it! That wide gear stance of the P-47 makes it track well on the ground for takeoffs and landings, if you haven't flown a P-47 before.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• As they prob wont be back in stock before sept 16. The day the faa says u cant sell any planes without a transponder type device. Has anyone heard anything about maybe a extention at all?

Comment

As they prob wont be back in stock before sept 16. The day the faa says u cant sell any planes without a transponder type device. Has anyone heard anything about maybe a extention at all?
                                      Wow! I wasn't aware of that!

davegee

Comment

• Outstanding work davegee. Schilling would be proud.
                                        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
                                          Outstanding work davegee. Schilling would be proud.
                                          Thanks! I got to talk with one of his sons years ago by phone. His son was a B-52 command pilot during the Viet Nam war and saw a lot of combat. Since you know of Dave Schilling, I'll attach a pic of an Aerotech 1/6 scale gas powered replica of Schilling's P-47D-25 version of Hairless Joe. The photo is taken from Boxted, England, the same field and runway that they flew from in WWII. I went over there for a big fly-in and flying full sized aircraft onto the field for the first time in almost 60 years. Unfortunately, plans to land a real P-47 there were canceled due to a very wet August in 2004. But the pilot made an extremely low gear down pass over the runway, almost touching it. It was a wonderful event. After many competitions in the USA my Hairless Joe was retired to the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, where it is on display today.

Cheers

davegee

Name:	P-47 Hairless Joe on Runway 22 at Boxted.001adjusted.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	352545

Comment

Working...
                                          X