Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the idea of filling those large holes with the brass grommets. I was going to paint until I saw your idea. I am simply amazed at what I lean from these posts. I appreciate the sharing. I put MrRC sound in mine and it really sounds great. I had to put one speaker just front of the battery compartment and the other one just after the blue box. The fill not fit laterally in the fuse.

Comment

• MrSmoothie what size gourmets did yo use? How did you modify them to get the effect you got? Thanks.

Comment

• 3D printed the cockpit detail set from MRC. Added a sheet of clear plastic to the back of the panel. Downloaded an image of the Corsair instruments from the web and used Formula ‘560’ to glue the instrument faces to the back of the panel. Pretty happy with the results and with the resources available to us to make this hobby so enjoyable.

Comment

• I printed mine and then used Callie's instrument panel decal on the back side, its printed on shiny stock so it turned out quite well.
          The pic shows the 3D panel next to the original paper decal.

Instead of cutting down the sides of the panel, I trimmed the sides of the fuselage to make them a little thinner. I only cut off a little bit of the sides of the panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190311_212641.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	186057

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
            I printed mine and then used Callie's instrument panel decal on the back side,
            TMD, Looks great! ;) Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Awesome! :Cool:
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I printed mine and then used Callie's instrument panel decal on the back side, its printed on shiny stock so it turned out quite well.

Instead of cutting down the sides of the panel, I trimmed the sides of the fuselage to make them a little thinner. I only cut off a little bit of the sides of the panel.

Interesting,although themadduck did a great job with paint etc., not one gauge matches the real thing.:Confused:Not that I'm the scale police but were there several varieties of instrument panels? Just wondering.

Comment

I printed mine and then used Callie's instrument panel decal on the back side, its printed on shiny stock so it turned out quite well.

Did the same with mine, trimmed out the foam in the cockpit to let it fit, then put Callie's instrument graphic on a .04 thick sheet of styrene, and glued it to the back, then filled in the gauge with epoxy to simulate a lens cover.:Cool:
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                    Interesting,although themadduck did a great job with paint etc., not one gauge matches the real thing.:Confused:Not that I'm the scale police but were there several varieties of instrument panels? Just wondering.
                    DWL, If that is true, and I have no reason to doubt, then we need to let Callie know in order to correct the error. Would you send her a corrected version? I am sure she would appreciate that as she is selling these. Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Did the same with mine, trimmed out the foam in the cockpit to let it fit, then put Callie's instrument graphic on a .04 thick sheet of styrene, and glued it to the back, then filled in the gauge with epoxy to simulate a lens cover.:Cool:
                      Regarding "Not one gage matches the real thing"? Here is the real thing less the gun-site. Correct me if I'm wrong but the FMS representation is the wrong thing. Callie Graphics appears to be spot on or at least more accurate than the panel that came with the FMS but hey that's just me.:) Speaking of the original.... can you imagine trying to fly a "High Performance" bird like this with just these instruments? HMOG! :Sweating:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Real F4U WII Cockpit.jpg Views:	21 Size:	158.6 KB ID:	186231
                      Last edited by Grover54; Mar 25, 2019, 06:48 PM. Reason: additonal info

Comment

Ah you see, the original paper decal was made from a picture of a Corsair that has a "modernized" cockpit. Callie's decal was designed to fit the 3D-printed cockpit panel perfectly, it wasn't designed to match the paper decal.

By the way, here's a pic of mine installed -- taken at a similar angle as a picture of the "real thing"!! eh! There are some similarities!! :P

Click image for larger version  Name:	gunsight.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	186240Click image for larger version  Name:	20190311_223359.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	186241
                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Actually I am sorry I brought it up.......,kind of. My Dad always said a job worth doing is worth doing right so, in that light, why wasn't the original 3d panel download posted correctly?:Confused: And then Callie makes a decal for the wonky instrument panel that was thoughtfully sent to her by Steve? The 3d part is set up bad enough that I'm personally going to just stay with the original sticker, even though I have the upgrade painted. Just don't see the point of redoing something that is also wrong. Just me....sorry, just thinking out lowd. Ignorance was bliss 'til all the pictures of the real instrument panel got posted. DOH!!:)

Comment

• Question and help please about the

Xicoy Digital Weight & Balance CG Meter.

Can anyone who has used this balancer please explain the pros and cons on the balancer compared to other balancers.

I like my great planes balancer, but I was looking for something easier to use and maybe more accurate.

I have been looking at the Xicoy Digital Weight & Balance CG Meter.

And The EZ Balancer II.

I know there more money, but they look easier to use as far as taking the plane on and off the balancer and maybe could repeat accuracy better?

Appreciate any help, thank you

Comment

• Guys, My two cents on the “correct” instrument panel. Having flown real aircraft (1 to 1 scale), the same type aircraft - for example a Piper PA-28 Cherokee - could have an instrument panel that has either different instruments (different manufacturers) or different lay out depending on many factors (use, age of aircraft, maintenance, etc). In WWII, sometimes certain instruments were deleted depending on availability. Sometimes IFR type instruments were removed to save weight (Edwards Park - Nanette).
                              So I guess I’m OK with Callie’s panel. It has an altimeter, airspeed,vertical airspeed, turn and bank, directional gyro, compass, artificial horizon, clock with second hand (used for timed turns, etc.), engine gauges... enough to fly VFR combat missions ala WWII.
                              So the scale police can rest. :Cool:

Comment

• Ya know, looking at Grover's picture, Callie's gauge placement seems to be pretty accurate. It was themadduck's side by side picture that was so far off. Don't know why there is such a difference but oh well. theoldALFER might be right on that. At least the gun sight in themadduck's picture is pretty good. Guess you'd have to add the glass projection screen to the gunsight if you wanted more realism.:Cool:

Comment

Actually I am sorry I brought it up.......,kind of. My Dad always said a job worth doing is worth doing right so, in that light, why wasn't the original 3d panel download posted correctly?:Confused: And then Callie makes a decal for the wonky instrument panel that was thoughtfully sent to her by Steve? The 3d part is set up bad enough that I'm personally going to just stay with the original sticker, even though I have the upgrade painted. Just don't see the point of redoing something that is also wrong. Just me....sorry, just thinking out lowd. Ignorance was bliss 'til all the pictures of the real instrument panel got posted. DOH!!:)
                                  It sounds like we got our panty hose all bunched up worried about scale. Let's not forget that this is a foam electric plane with wheels that are too small for scale, a radial engine that's missing the 2nd row of cylinders (except for Brandon Moon's) and engine cowl flaps that are just sad (again except for Brandon's). And we're worried about the placement of a bank indicator? Don't get me wrong, none of my planes remotely resemble anything scale cause I add plenty of colorfull paint to help visibility, a multitude of Callie's graphics from different planes and I stuck a Warbirds pilot in my Corsair that is about as scale as a bear riding a tricycle. If you like it, do it, if not do something else. I doubt anyone will notice that a gauge is in the wrong location as your flying this around, in fact, it seems none of us out there actually knows what the exact gauge location is. And I doubt the half dozen or so people in the world who do know, are going out at the field when I'm flying. I personally love the look of the panel and Callie's gauges. And how many people look inside the cockpit after you close it up and can even see what the gauges are?

I've got a silver and olive B-24 that are both about as gaudy as they come, yet believe it or not, last month a WWII veteran who piloted a B-24 saw my plane and couldn't get enough of it. He was like a kid at Christmas, fondling it like it was his long lost lover, and not once did he complain that my plane didn't look like a shot up old wreck or even that I had my wife's "handle" on the plane as the co-pilot and an actual girl in the co-pilot seat.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents (coming from someone whose planes look like Jimi Hendrix designed them). I do still really appreciate the work that most of you do to make your planes look as realistic as possible, I'm just not capable or patient enough to do all the cool things most of you do to simulate realism, so I go the other direction, and at the end of the day, I'm just a little bit (maybe a lot) different (or at least completely f-ing crazy):Dizzy:. I let my wife design the look of my planes, but then she also dresses like Dolly Parton, even out at the field when she flies!:wacky
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh, you gave me a really good chuckle, thanks for that! I've seen photos of your planes and from the sounds of things, I'd wager you and Dolly's twin would be a great couple to hang out with on a lazy sunday afternoon over some BBQ brisket and pulled pork sandwiches. Stay colorful!
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
                                      Guys, My two cents on the “correct” instrument panel. Having flown real aircraft (1 to 1 scale), the same type aircraft - for example a Piper PA-28 Cherokee - could have an instrument panel that has either different instruments (different manufacturers) or different lay out depending on many factors (use, age of aircraft, maintenance, etc). In WWII, sometimes certain instruments were deleted depending on availability. Sometimes IFR type instruments were removed to save weight (Edwards Park - Nanette).
                                      So I guess I’m OK with Callie’s panel. It has an altimeter, airspeed,vertical airspeed, turn and bank, directional gyro, compass, artificial horizon, clock with second hand (used for timed turns, etc.), engine gauges... enough to fly VFR combat missions ala WWII.
                                      So the scale police can rest. :Cool:
                                      I 100% agree. In fact all those panels are real, it's just in different versions of the F4U and maybe even ones flown by the UK. Who knows. One of those pictures even has fairly current avionics in a center console. ;)

Comment

• LOL Hugh! That was fantastic, thanks for the smile to start my day.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                        X