Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft that go to sea on a carrier live a terrible life compaired to their land based counterparts. Regular 14 day wash jobs are out due to the lack of fresh water, spray cans of Turco are used instead to clean the surfaces. The stress of carrier landings takes a toll on the airframe causing rivets to loosen the length of the fuselage between the wing and tail. Salt water gets into those voids and causes bleeding rivets as we called them. Repairs that need to be made are painted over in the patches and spots they cover. Flying schedules routinely cause a very crunched amount of down time to cover inspections and repair. It’s all a vicious cycle that is destroying the airframe at a rapid pace. I believe all Spitfires had magnesium rivets shot into aluminum skin and this would have caused Seafires to really bleed from dissimilar metal corrosion due to salt water contact. In my 48 month Navy tenure, I spent 23 months of that at sea in an A-6 Squadron just to show you the the amount of time those airframes were also at sea getting their tails flown off. After an 8 month cruise they just looked awful, like old spotted leopards as one CO put it...

Looking at the attachments one would think oil had leaked out of these rivets and while it will, it’s actually the rivets suffering from corrosion and the bleeding that takes place once they loosen and have a void created.

Any high stress area of the airframe will exhibit this pattern of degradation on a carrier aircraft. Also, Navy aircraft are not permitted to have chipping and worn off paint like their land based versions, as bare aluminum will suffer direct surface attack from salt spray. It’s a corrosion control measure that results in spotty repairs at sea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B84BFC52-0792-4A0A-8013-EC864BD1630C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	162157Click image for larger version  Name:	A0C906F6-F9CD-4D5D-BD4F-5E43C3A4B282.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	162158Click image for larger version  Name:	473FD908-2335-4777-9887-0F3B248038D9.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	16.2 KB ID:	162156Click image for larger version  Name:	F3302562-7912-44F5-A5E2-B75D5A030A43.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	26.2 KB ID:	162155Click image for larger version  Name:	E2306672-205D-4734-8B64-4A0332559C16.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	6.0 KB ID:	162154Click image for larger version  Name:	400EB444-5911-488B-B2CD-49F986F28231.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	11.1 KB ID:	162153

Comment

• Access panels were also damaged on a fairly regular basis due to the windy conditions on deck. Corner repairs were common place with the affected area being touched up with fresh paint. Panels that required daily removal were always subject to the most damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
        Aircraft that go to sea on a carrier live a terrible life compared to their land-based counterparts. Regular 14-day wash jobs are out due to the lack of fresh water, spray cans of Turco are used instead to clean the surfaces. The stress of carrier landings takes a toll on the airframe causing rivets to loosen the length of the fuselage between the wing and tail. Saltwater gets into those voids and causes bleeding rivets as we called them. Repairs that need to be made are painted over in the patches and spots they cover. Flying schedules routinely cause a very crunched amount of downtime to cover inspections and repair. It’s all a vicious cycle that is destroying the airframe at a rapid pace. I believe all Spitfires had magnesium rivets shot into the aluminum skin and this would have caused Seafires to really bleed from dissimilar metal corrosion due to saltwater contact. In my 48 month Navy tenure, I spent 23 months of that at sea in an A-6 Squadron just to show you the amount of time those airframes were also at sea getting their tails flown off. After an 8 month cruise, they just looked awful, like old spotted leopards as one CO put it...

Looking at the attachments one would think oil had leaked out of these rivets and while it will, it’s actually the rivets suffering from corrosion and the bleeding that takes place once they loosen and have a void created.

Any high-stress area of the airframe will exhibit this pattern of degradation on a carrier aircraft. Also, Navy aircraft are not permitted to have chipping and worn off paint like their land-based versions, as bare aluminum will suffer direct surface attack from salt spray. It’s a corrosion control measure that results in spotty repairs at sea. Access panels were also damaged on a fairly regular basis due to the windy conditions on deck. Corner repairs were commonplace with the affected area being touched up with fresh paint. Panels that required daily removal were always subject to the most damage.
        O-T, So the perfect weathering technique for this is close my eyes and throw paint at it? Sounds like a plan. LOL I love this hobby!!! Seriously, though you always give sage advice, Sir. I thank you. I did think I might try a light gray or dirty white wash to simulate the 'sea-spray' along the fuse sides and wing tops.;) Looking at pictures of some of the Seafires just look terrible which is more than I have the patience to do. It would seem to me that one could spend a great deal of time just weathering, and reading what others do just blows me away. :Scared:I gotta build to a 'happy medium'. Best, LB
        Last edited by Elbee; Nov 15, 2018, 08:49 AM. Reason: Added a preposition.
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks Elbee
          I just never want to come across as being critical. Only passing on first hand knowledge... For sure it’s a different weathering effect on carrier aircraft. I’m sure you’ll find the perfect happy medium that works!

Comment

• O-T, I would not consider anything you write as criticism until you tell me otherwise. ;)LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• LB,
              that light grey or dirty white wash is an excellent idea. The flight deck is always coated with oil... Engine oil, hydraulic oil, general purpose lube oil, and fuel spills. So badly at times the deck must be scrubbed with soap n brooms then washed off with fire hoses to keep it from being dangerously slippery. That scummy oil gets blown over everything on deck by props and nowadays jet blast. Especially when it’s raining during launch and recovery ops.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ole-Timer;n162150]Aircraft that go to sea on a carrier live a terrible life compaired to their land based counterparts. Regular 14 day wash jobs are out due to the lack of fresh water, spray cans of Turco are used instead to clean the surfaces. The stress of carrier landings takes a toll on the airframe causing rivets to loosen the length of the fuselage between the wing and tail. Salt water gets into those voids and causes bleeding rivets as we called them. Repairs that need to be made are painted over in the patches and spots they cover. Flying schedules routinely cause a very crunched amount of down time to cover inspections and repair. It’s all a vicious cycle that is destroying the airframe at a rapid pace. I believe all Spitfires had magnesium rivets shot into aluminum skin and this would have caused Seafires to really bleed from dissimilar metal corrosion due to salt water contact. In my 48 month Navy tenure, I spent 23 months of that at sea in an A-6 Squadron just to show you the the amount of time those airframes were also at sea getting their tails flown off. After an 8 month cruise they just looked awful, like old spotted leopards as one CO put it...''

I live on the seashore and I really understand what you are talking about. The lifespan of the RC seaplane, used under the conditions of sea salt has been reduced and has a particular impact on electronics. Very useful observation ... thanks alot Mr.Ole-Timer.;)

Comment

• Hey Ya'll, I was hoping to get more done today, though 'she who's authority exceeds my rank' says we're going shopping. So we went. I got gum, she got outdoor Christmas stuff that requires my assistance to install. As it should be, I suppose. Anyway, almost all the markings on the port side plus the Invasion Stripes today. Looking forward to weathering next. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	162565
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hi Steve , of course....the force is with you (Mrs), and with me also...:)...but you did a good job considering an upcoming holidays...:Cool:

Comment

• LB, you chose wisely,

and the Seafire is looking great!

Comment

• LOL You Guys are Cracking Me Up...Starboard getting closer. Oh and I've been researching "dirt, oil, and grime" pictures on these beauties and one could spend a month making it dirty. Next, after the rest of the Callie Graphics is another clear coat and then the dirt begins. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	162671Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	162672
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• One thing you might consider Elbee, Spare Urathane might work best. Poly has been non to yellow. Just make sure you use a water base. The Spare is supposed to have a UV protection.
                          Still Learning:D

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                            One thing you might consider Elbee, Spare Urathane might work best. Poly has been non to yellow. Just make sure you use a water base. The Spare is supposed to have a UV protection.
                            P, I have been using the Minwax Gloss Polycrylic which is water-based. I really like it as a base on stripped EPO and as a base for the markings. My thought is that applying the 'grime' will be more consistent with the clear coat before and I don't have to worry about mineral based paints messing with the acrylics and water-based paints I have used thus far. :)Thanks for the tip. Best, LB
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Ya'll, Just a quick post since Tammes let me borrow the kitchen lighting and her stovetop to shoot a couple pix. My weathering was slow going at first, though it goes more quickly when one throws caution to the wind. I AM using the oil pastels with mineral spirits. Very forgiving, I must say. If you overdo it, just dampen a p-towel, wipe, and start over. Thank you, Minwax. Port side pretty much finished until I add the wing and begin blending the fillet. Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all. LB

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	163168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	163169Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	573
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	163170Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	163171
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• You do realize that the stove should be in the OFF position when doing photo shoots.... IF not, then the pastels won't be needed, but the smoke streaks will be vertical instead of along the slip stream...…

Comment

• Lol its off brother.

Comment

• HA!!!! I was joking, of course... But after looking at the pics again, it is very obviously OFF... All four (4) burners..... OR heating elements, or what the hell ever they are called now!!! HA!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!! Off...… ;)

Comment

• Lol! Absolutely and to you as well, good humor is hard to come by these days, glad there's folks here that have it :)

Comment

• Dear Steve , after your art work, I got a 'private complex of lesser value'...:Hug:

Comment

• Josip, I must admit I have a self-inflicted complex myself most days,LOL I thank you for the compliment. You can do what I did, it just takes time and it is a hobby after all. Please let me know when your package arrives. It is Thanksgiving Day here in America where we give thanks to God for what He has given us. I am truly blessed and getting to know you via this hobby is just one more reason to give thanks. Best, Steve
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X