Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What scale are you pilots using for the F-4 Phantom to order graphics from Callie graphics ?

Comment

• 1/11th

Comment

• Thanks. I was coming up with a scale of 11.5 using Callie’s scale help page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrnflyr View Post
          Anybody see the KingTech 30 that was just announced with pictures on Facebook? Wonder how long it'll be before someone tries to retrofit one of these little guys to the Phantom? It'll be tough with the elevator anhedral and tail hook nearby but I'm sure there's lots of brains stirring the pot right now.
          This is really nothing new. People have done this with jetcat and lambert micro turbines for years.

A Swedish company called hab.se sells conversion kits for several different freewing foamies.

Henke Torphammar even converted a fw A-6 with 3D-printed (!) ceramic, forked exhaust.

The F-4 should be a relatively easy build compared to what has already been done.

And yes, the K-30 should be a good fit (or maybe even a lambert kolibri T-50)
          Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Originally posted by F16Jeff View Post

I have already been thinking about getting an Arf+ and looking into adding a turbine. I think it would be easier with the K30 and as far as the anhedral stabs, it would be know different than the current offerings out there. The tail hook could be left off or made out of different material if needed. You would need a bifurcated pipe custom made.

Jeff
            Yeah, either a bifurcated pipe or a single, angled thrust tube.

HAB.se achieved good results with single exhaust on the yak-130, angled 10 degrees out and down iirc.

Comment

• Yes, I know they’’’ve been doing this and been following Henke’s conversions. A Kolibri isn’’’t really possible here in the US due to serviceability and a vendor. We can’’’t just show up at the Kolibri workshop and hand him the engine like they do in Northern Europe and that’’’s where this new Kingtech comes in. I was just curious if anybody was planning on doing the conversion. I didn’’’t realize he converted an Intruder though. He does really fine work. Thanks for the heads up.

(where the heck did all my apostrophes go? It shows it in preview and they disappear when posted!)
              Last edited by Patrnflyr; Apr 21, 2018, 01:35 AM. Reason: trying to correct grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrnflyr View Post
                Yes, I know they’’’ve been doing this and been following Henke’s conversions. A Kolibri isn’’’t really possible here in the US due to serviceability and a vendor. We can’’’t just show up at the Kolibri workshop and hand him the engine like they do in Northern Europe and that’’’s where this new Kingtech comes in. I was just curious if anybody was planning on doing the conversion. I didn’’’t realize he converted an Intruder though. He does really fine work. Thanks for the heads up.

(where the heck did all my apostrophes go? It shows it in preview and they disappear when posted!)

I wouldn't worry too much on Lambert vs JetCat vs KingTech to be honest. For 99% of all customers, service = ship by mail anyway, and it's something you do relatively seldom, so not really a biggie compared to the other costs associated with such a build. Local dealer is definitely a bonus, but one very few get to enjoy anyway.

Would be fun to see someone converting the F-4 at some point. Might eventually do it myself, but will definitely keep it electric at least for the first season.

Comment

• Looking forward to the 8s version later on this year .

Comment

• Or you can just go 6s with FMS power and have similar performance in a lighter package. I can personally recommend the FMS 90mm edf unit /YEP 150A esc combo for this bird. It's a great combination.
                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• I tried the 8S system and I only get 2.5 minutes of flight time with 25% left with the Roaringtop 5,000mah, 4S, 70C batteries. I get the same performance from the upgraded FW F-15 EDF and 4 minute flights with 35% left using a 6S, 5,500mah, 70C Roaringtop battery. I also cut out a cheater hole - performs really well at 5,800 feet in Denver. I used a Starmax AD-1 Skyraider centerline tank - looks good in the air. The 8S system offers only 1 lbs thrust increase at my altitude but the increased battery weight negates the performance. I think the performance and increased flight time speaks well for the 6S F-15 EDF system. The 6S system puts out 6.6 lbs of thrust. The 8S system without the cheater hole puts out 6.7 lbs of thrust and with the cheater hole it puts out 7.7 lbs. What we really need is new battery technology like Lithium Sulfur batteries which would increase our flight time.

Comment

• I flew mine for the first time today. First flight was rather short due to full throttle most of the time. I was wrestling with trims and an AS3X system. It really flew well after getting it trimmed out. Second flight was really smooth and calmer. Third flight was hairy though. Didn’t check the ordinance and the left wing fuel tank fell off during take off roll. I went ahead and flew but it was constantly trying to yaw to the right. Set up for a landing and came in a little slow. Ran out of elevator and had a bouncy landing damaging the nose retract. It still works but the case is cracked so I’ve ordered a new one. The retract unit itself is on backorder but the entire nose gear is in stock so I ordered that for now. I guess they’ll be coming in with their next container. I was really impressed with its flight characteristics especially with the Spektrum 9350 gyro receiver. It really settled things down well. Anybody have an idea when the retract motor will be in stock?

Comment

• Seeing all these great mods that pilots are doing to their Phantoms is so inspiring. I am looking forward to starting my build in a couple months, waiting on some more accessories plus the 3D printed parts from Motion RC. The drogue chute is certainly an awesome addition to this jet. Has anyone started working on operational canopies for the F4? Would they open at the same time or individually?

Comment

• What a great looking F-4! I can't believe how accurate it looks to the real thing! As proof...I offer a picture my father's F-4D in the skies of Vietnam in 1967. This will be on my Christmas list along with custom graphics from Callie-Graphics.com! Would love to see an E/G version!

Comment

• Great picture JT, a big thank you to your father for his service to our country!

Welcome to Hobby Squawk!
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by jthenry8 View Post
                                What a great looking F-4! I can't believe how accurate it looks to the real thing! As proof...I offer a picture my father's F-4D in the skies of Vietnam in 1967. This will be on my Christmas list along with custom graphics from Callie-Graphics.com! Would love to see an E/G version!
                                Welcome. Fantastic pic. Thank you for sharing and as TI stated, thank your Dad for his service!!!! Awesome stuff!!!

Comment

• Freewing F-4 Phantom II Maiden.
                                  Freewing F-4 Phantom 90mm 6S Maiden

This jet was a pleasure to maiden. Not a click of trim needed.
                                  I was comfortable flying low during the maiden.
                                  I had 11 flight over the weekend.
                                  Max level speed 105mph Max speed out of dive 120mph (With Missiles, no drop tanks)
                                  I really enjoyed the light airframe. Ability to simply just drop in a 6S pack and wheels up is key for me. The speed was good for me but I did run at 90% a lot of the time. Yes, I would consider upgrading to a Hot 6S system but not right now.....hard to justify. Vertical was ...ok. ...but not near unlimited. I am happy with it overall.
                                  3 mins with average throttle management.
                                  End Voltage 3.8V

Radio: Horus Frsky with X8R RX
                                  Sensors; GPS, Voltage.
                                  Battery: Turnigy Graphene 5000mah 45C
                                  CG 189mm

Thanks, MotionRC!

Comment

• Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have read through all of the pages and this is great stuff. I can't wait to see some of them at Jet Jam. I am from Louisville - so I can't imagine a better opportunity to see some in action. I have a feeling I will see them there before I can get my hands on one from Motion RC. Quick question...I have really been pouring over the photos in this thread. I know the Collins Foundation F-4D has position lights and so does the model decals. Has anyone else noticed the static display of Old's bird in post #143 does not have position lights. I know the picture is a little grainy, but the photo of my Dad's F-4D doesn't seem to have them either. I wonder if some of the F-4 aficionados can shed some light on this subject (pun intended).

Comment

• Originally posted by jthenry8 View Post
                                      What a great looking F-4! I can't believe how accurate it looks to the real thing! As proof...I offer a picture my father's F-4D in the skies of Vietnam in 1967. This will be on my Christmas list along with custom graphics from Callie-Graphics.com! Would love to see an E/G version!
                                      I am with you on the E-mods, JTHenry8 and welcome to Hobby Squawk. Best, LB
                                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Nice maiden Itgordon00!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Welcome jthenry8.....Not sure on the position lights, but what I do know is...If you want to see at least a handful of these models flying, stop on out at the
                                          "2018 Jet Jam". You are right down the road apiece. Look it up on RCG.

Comment

Working...
                                          X