Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 90mm F-4 Phantom II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping they get here soon. I'll fly mine without until they do, if necessary.

I was in Munitions Maintenance, bomb dump, in the USAF '69-'73, TAC, delivering to the F-4s at George AFB, an F-4 training base, and at Kadena AFB, Okinawa, where we had F-4s, F-105s, SR-71s, (5) based there, and even an occasional B-52 group TDY, plus a lot of others passing through. C-141s and C-5s were dailys. All munitions used in Vietnam came through Kadena, as we were the PACAF supply depot. So got to see and be around a lot of stuff during the Vietnam period.

I will be doing mine either as the bird 1st Lt Wilbur J. (Joe) Latham, Jr. was AC commander (pilot) in when he downed a MiG-21 on Nov. 05, 1966, or as the F-4C, 63-7507, which is on display in Marshalltown, Iowa, which is an aircraft he also flew a few times. I am in the process of getting info from him, soon as I can get time from work to visit him. He lives in Marshalltown, which is where my R/C club is. Will post pics when I get some. 63-7505 was assigned to George AFB while I was in Okinawa, and had moved on before I returned, so I never saw it there.
    Don

Currently flying FW F-4C Phantom II 8s PNP, GP Waco YMF5, GP P-6E Hawk V1, H9 Spitfire MkIX 30cc, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite 1.2M Spitfire MkIX, EFlite 1.2M F4U Corsair, EFlite 1.2M T-28, EFlite 1.2M P-47D Thunderbolt v1.

On repair bench: ASM F7F Tigercat, GP Ryan STA-M, BH P-40C Tigershark

Building HK 60cc T-6 Texan, VQ P-82 Twin Mustang

Comment

• Originally posted by BigElectFlyr View Post
      Hoping they get here soon. I'll fly mine without until they do, if necessary.

I was in Munitions Maintenance, bomb dump, in the USAF '69-'73, TAC, delivering to the F-4s at George AFB, an F-4 training base, and at Kadena AFB, Okinawa, where we had F-4s, F-105s, SR-71s, (5) based there, and even an occasional B-52 group TDY, plus a lot of others passing through. C-141s and C-5s were dailys. All munitions used in Vietnam came through Kadena, as we were the PACAF supply depot. So got to see and be around a lot of stuff during the Vietnam period.

I will be doing mine either as the bird 1st Lt Wilbur J. (Joe) Latham, Jr. was AC commander (pilot) in when he downed a MiG-21 on Nov. 05, 1966, or as the F-4C, 63-7507, which is on display in Marshalltown, Iowa, which is an aircraft he also flew a few times. I am in the process of getting info from him, soon as I can get time from work to visit him. He lives in Marshalltown, which is where my R/C club is. Will post pics when I get some. 63-7505 was assigned to George AFB while I was in Okinawa, and had moved on before I returned, so I never saw it there.
      Hello fellow Nam Era Vet.
      Welcome to the Squawk Don and please visit this thread Military Branch Survey and make your mark.
      Best regards,
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Dlxpkg2000 View Post
        Just an "Educated Guess" that the 3D PUP stuff should arrive with this shipment? Any Takers ? Hope So....
        I'm assuming so too. Waiting on a couple nozzles myself to finish the project.

Comment

• Maidened my F-4 yesterday. ARF+ kit with a JePe Storm Fan on 10s (2x5s) 4500 Red Power Lipos, Hobbywing 80 Amp ESC, HK UBEC. Set the timer to 4:00, more than 3,7 V per cell after landing. Great performance from my local grass strip. German made afterburner, some cockpit modifications using the stock, the Motion RC supplied 3DP files plus a self made rear main panel (to give the guy in the back a decent office) and JHH 1/12 pilot busts. Modified the intake duct to get a sharp divider whilst retaining the cooling duct.

Frank

Comment

• Awesome!
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Looks nice and I have to agree on the 10s setup, I did the maiden on my buddies F-4 with a JF 10s setup in it and it flies with authority, flew my stock one back to back and I think it is worth the money. He was using two 35C 5000's lipos, can't remember the brand but they came down not even warm and I think he said he only put 2200mah back in them after a little over a 2 minute flight, so 4 minutes should be easy to reach, vertical was great too. He doesn't post here often but he said I could post his setup if anyone was interested in a 10s setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
                "...Modified the intake duct to get a sharp divider whilst retaining the cooling duct." Frank
                Frank, Your work is great. I really like the 'modified ducting'. Will incorporate similarly. Well done. Best, Elbee

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                  Looks nice and I have to agree on the 10s setup, I did the maiden on my buddies F-4 with a JF 10s setup in it and it flies with authority, flew my stock one back to back and I think it is worth the money. He was using two 35C 5000's lipos, can't remember the brand but they came down not even warm and I think he said he only put 2200mah back in them after a little over a 2 minute flight, so 4 minutes should be easy to reach, vertical was great too. He doesn't post here often but he said I could post his setup if anyone was interested in a 10s setup.
                  Finally maidened mine on Tuesday - 1 flight only as crosswinds came up before 9 a.m., making #2 not my cup of tea. Got flights #2 and 3 in this morning, as others have said this plane is sweet. Using DS-51 AXI with an HET 700-68-1500kv on 9 cells, 1 ea 5s 5000 30c, 4s 5000 35c. Finding plane flies fine on 50% - 55% throttle, still coming down after 2-1/2 mins for now, batts at 3.88/cell. Using LOTS of self-control to get there....only a couple of full-tilt flybys. This will get better as more time is put on the plane and the flight envelope becomes clear.

I will say WOT runs are very satisfying, and very decently fast. Hence, why LOTS of self-control is necessary.

Comment

• Last bit of detail before going to Nall. I got the final few graphics from Callie and decided to 3D print some Mk. 82 Snakeyes and TER's for it as well. She is all done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180510_232240.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	132130

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180510_232253.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	132131

Comment

• Excellent!:Cool:

Comment

• She is a beauty!! Can’t wait to see her in person!! :Drooling:

Comment

• :Cool:

Comment

• [QUOTE=RCjetdude; She is all done.]

RCJD, She is a beautiful thing. Most Excellent. Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Anybody set up wheel brakes on their Phantom yet?

Comment

• Who needs BRAKES if ya got a DRAG CHUTE, Right Guy's ? LOLOLOLOLOl !!!(read maniacal laughter...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dlxpkg2000 View Post
                                  Who needs BRAKES if ya got a DRAG CHUTE, Right Guy's ? LOLOLOLOLOl !!!(read maniacal laughter...)
                                  You can have both...
                                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by PikeStaff View Post
                                    Anybody set up wheel brakes on their Phantom yet?
                                    Just a matter of buying a brake kit or making your own set. We used to make servo operated (pull a string) brakes that were reasonably effective. Now you can get electric brakes built into the wheels.

Typical is to have the brakes actuate with down elevator because that gives you proportional braking and saves a channel. With the brakes on the stick you don't have to be messing around with switches/knobs/sliders either.

Taxi out, turn into the wind and hold down elevator, advance throttle till the brakes are slipping then let it loose.
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Electric brakes are a wonderful thing, but they add SUSTANTIAL Weight. I had them on an already "draggy" airframe(FW F-15) and had to take them off until I added a hotter power system. I also moved to a much longer runway, so I did not re-install them. They'lle find a home SOMEWHERE.....

Comment

• correction:SUBSTANTIAL.

Comment

• Just so sweet looking Steve. Enjoy!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X