X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
    Those look great! Have you flown it yet? How did you address ensuring that they're at the same angle to each other? I was nervous I wouldn't be able to do a good job on that so I kept mine a "Hard-wing" version. Technically inaccurate but the plane is at least still in one piece.
    Thanks.
    Not yet, the F-4F is on back burner, still fiddling with the drag chute assembly. But I don’t expect surprises from the slats. I mounted them with slow setting glue and the proven Eyeball Mk.1.

Comment

• Hello phantom drivers. Does anyone on here have the .stl files for any of the 3D printed parts for the F4 or any motion rc airplane? They are not on thiniverse. The ladders, cockpit, afterburnners ect. I AM NOT wanting them to make and sell, just for my private use.
      Thanks
      Mattmathias743@gmail.com

Comment

• I just got my ghost grey 8S phantom in the mail. Showed up with the tail blue and all decals applied already. Wasn’t this airplane supposed to show up Grey and you do all the paint work and decals yourself??
        Current Fleet: Flightline Tigercat, Flightline Bearcat, Eflite Corsair, ESM Skyraider, Pilot RC Yak-54 30%:corsair

Comment

• That’s not how I read the web page. I read it as coming as it sounds you got it. It does say new for the scheme though.

Comment

• My replacement F-4... after a failed low speed demonstration with the original. Came all grey as advertised. Upgraded elevator servo and linkage. perfect flyer as expected. Click image for larger version

Name:	f4 new 1.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	366173Click image for larger version

Name:	f4 new 2.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	366174

Comment

• Originally posted by pullupnow View Post
              My replacement F-4... after a failed low speed demonstration with the original. Came all grey as advertised. Upgraded elevator servo and linkage. perfect flyer as expected.
              PN, glad to read you invested in another Phantom. Great livery choice and nicely done, Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Pullupnow, what servo and linkages did you use? I want this plane so bad. But, I want to upgrade the elevator however the right way is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut View Post
                  Pullupnow, what servo and linkages did you use? I want this plane so bad. But, I want to upgrade the elevator however the right way is.
                  I’ve had good luck with the HV-69, 4-40 threaded rod and heavy-duty Du-Bro linkages. Smaller dimension case, so some plywood supports are needed.

https://www.mksservosusa.com/product...3&cat=5&page=1

Using (have used) this servo in: MiG-29, P-38, F-4
                  Note: No reverse option available, so with MiG-29 one must internally re-wire to reverse or use an external servo reverser.

Smooth friction-free operation provides solutions to many applications. These high quality ball links feature burnished, nickel plated brass balls for smooth operation. Complete with socket head cap screw, brass shim and nylon insert lock nut. Weight: #899 - 3.5grams/each assembly #2262- 3.5grams/each assembly #2266 -

https://www.motionrc.com/products/du...SABEgKdWPD_BwE

https://www.motionrc.com/products/du...-1248838163437

-GG

Comment

Pullupnow, what servo and linkages did you use? I want this plane so bad. But, I want to upgrade the elevator however the right way is.
                    I put in a Hitec D625MW 440 threaded rod and dubro ball links. I flew my previous F4 with the stock set up for years and hundreds of flights, but the upgraded setup is noticeably smoother to fly as well as the increased strength. There has to be dozens of servo options that will work. pretty simple mod especially if you do it during initial assembly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

PN, glad to read you invested in another Phantom. Great livery choice and nicely done, Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                      Thank you Sir! "you can't NOT have a Phantom" :)

Comment

• Elbee
                        Elbee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Acknowledged and Agreed, Sir.

• Thanks for the response, GliderGuy and pullupnow. You guys response has been the best response I've gotten on this topic, especially your links GliderGuy.
                      What do you use to cut the rods to the length you need?

Comment

Thanks for the response, GliderGuy and pullupnow. You guys response has been the best response I've gotten on this topic, especially your links GliderGuy.
                        What do you use to cut the rods to the length you need?
                        I used a Dremel tool with a cutting disc attachment. Cuts it like a hot knife cuts butter. Eye protection recommended.

By the way…the stock elevator servo is fine, but I did have one fail after TONS of flights. So I moved up to a more $$$ servo. (Repaired and still flying, but I did not want to risk a repeat crash!)

-GG

Comment

• Thanks for the info, GG.

Comment

• I agree with Kallend and recommend to upgrade the elevator servo. I would not even trust the stock one. I've had too many... and 2 is too many... go out on me. A servo on an aileron or rudder is one thing, you can still probably steer her home. Even one side of a flap is doable. But on the elevator, no. It's the only thing holding you up.
                            Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• With the proof of concept complete with the successful A-10 launch of an Estes rocket I wanted to do another launch with the A-4. The more I studied the A-4 space was becoming the issue, there is not enough space in the A-4 for the triggering mechanism etc.. I then switched to the F-4 and studied the feasibility and concluded this could work and not be out of bounds for the authenticity of the real one. I remember loading target drones on the F-4 back in the early 80's, AQM something or other and I think they were made by Beechcraft, can't remember.

Trying to decide whether to launch slightly nose up or to ground attack in a shallow dive. I hope to have better videos of this shot than of the A-10 shot.

Comment

• Elbee
                                Elbee commented
                                Editing a comment
                                JPR, is like a small mag to generate the spark? Quite clever it seems. Good luck, Sir. Best, LB

• JPR, is like a small mag to generate the spark? Quite clever it seems. Good luck, Sir. Best, LB
                              LB, it is a push button switch - OFF/ON. The servo when activated will push the button to on. That will complete the circuit and off it goes.

I made a stand to rest the F-4 on and will test launch the rocket today. If all goes well I will start test flights with the plane, the first being a flight with just the launch pylon followed by test with the rocket on but no firing. I need to know that should I have a miss fire she will land okay. I should have video of the test firing of the rocket this evening.

Rich

Comment

• Here is a test launch which was successful. I can't speak for the cameraman who had several cameras to take video with and failed to operate the cameras properly only getting one video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	367582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	367583

Test launch - YouTube​​

I painted the rocket Kabuta Orange in order to see it. I had my doubts about recovery but the chute opened and I was able to locate it in the field next door.

Name:	IMG_2660.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	367581
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Was given a beat up Phantom, and am restoring it to fly. Bought new nose gear doors, to replace missing ones. But didn't receive a way to attach front door to nose gear strut. Perhaps spring, pushrod, elastic, or link? Please could someone post a good picture of the forward door actuator mechanism?
                                  Thanks so much, R.

Comment

• As far as actuator for the front part of the door goes, if it is function over looks the simplest way is with a wee elastic band...hook on one side, round the back of the strut and hook on the other side.......got peed off fiddling with the tiny springs loooong ago !

Comment

• Just completed my build of the Freewing F-4 Phatom. Went with the Black Bunnies livery with graphics from Callie. I left the bottom of her the ghost gray so it would easier for my old eyes to tell is she is up or down in flight.

Name:	IMG_3697.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	368925Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3698.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	368926Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3699.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	368927Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3700.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	368928Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3701.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	368929 Equipped her with a FMS 90mm 3670-1950kv Inrunner 12 blade, Freewing 150amp ESC, Hitec HS-5245 servo for the Elevator. Also included an afterburner for the real jet effect. I've read through most of the posts here and adjusted throws and elevator to what most of you guys are setting yours. Setting CG to 190 to start and will see how that works when I maiden her in the spring. Alittle too cold here now on Cape Cod for flights. So for right now she will just look pretty on the rack waiting to get into the air. ​
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                      X