X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post

For sure, that's the case at my field, too. However, it's by far, the one that causes my butt to clench the tightest when I fly it. Many have asked, "When will you bring the F-14 again?" My answer usually is, "When my backside releases its tension".
    Ditto. It is not a relaxing plane to fly.

Comment

• All relative I guess. I took the Tomcat and big MiG to a jet flyin last Saturday. The TC was the more relaxing of the two. May be this is my second and I had at least a hundred flights on #1.

But, yes the TC got a lot more attention and flight requests.

Comment

• I think they're talking about the fattie F-14, not the FW.
        Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
          I think they're talking about the fattie F-14, not the FW.
          I dunno about the others, but I was referring to the FW F-14, being a butt clencher to fly. The Fattie has not been out very long (about a month), so very few people have flown one.
          BTW, a little off topic but still F-14 ..................... My hobby shop told me that my Eflite F-14 should be here around Aug. 18. (I don't think there is a thread on the Eflite one here,)

Comment

• I assumed the FW but wondered…

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
            I think they're talking about the fattie F-14, not the FW.

Comment

• My FW F-14 is nowhere near butt clenching to fly. The only time it was was during the first few flights with the wings back until I got the trim set properly in swept mode. Since then, it's been fairly docile in flight.
              Pat

Comment

One fellow already did it. I may do same after I've flown it and see how it goes.
                I don't know why he's wearing a motorcycle helmet to fly it.

Doesn't that flying site look oddly familiar - like the place that the first releases of the Freewing MIg29 were crashing?
                it's got retracts...?

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post

it's got retracts...?
                  Yes, it's got everything except rudder and flaps. It's a PNP, comes with gyro.

Comment

Yes, it's got everything except rudder and flaps. It's a PNP, comes with gyro.
                    who needs rudders or flaps...

oh - that's right - i do... :) especially flaps...

Comment

• Wings are too short to cut in usable flaps and the plane is too short for rudders to work well. I suppose you could always cut some in but I don't think they'd be very effective. It's a cartoon after all. Amazing that it can actually fly with those stumpy proportions.

Comment

• I need a metal brace for the retracts. I lost one of them and it's been a pain in my A.. trying to find it. Am I missing where they are sold on motion? Or should I just buy full metal retracts for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                          I need a metal brace for the retracts. I lost one of them and it's been a pain in my A.. trying to find it. Am I missing where they are sold on motion? Or should I just buy full metal retracts for it?
                          I've never seen these metal plates as a separate item. You don't even get them if you buy a retract. If you know someone who does metal work, they may be able to make you one.
                          I have purchased a pair of JP full metal retracts with controller. The next time I break a retract on this plane, those go in.

Comment

• Thats what I wanted to confirm, thanks! I might just cut one out of CF

Comment

• Elbee
                              Elbee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's was my thought as well. i hope to replace all alum with CF in this one when I get to it. Best, LB

• I believe they’re steel…

Comment

• Can those who have typically flown this plane please comment on the trim change when going from wings "out" to wings "swept in"? I'm still gathering the nerve to sweep the wings in during flight, having read about extreme trim changes that happen during and after a wing sweep and back out again. Some have indicated that they have put different trim settings on flight modes to make it less busy. Does the plane suffer from severe nose dive when sweeping in or does it balloon?

Comment

• Both mine, had one when it first came out and flew it about a hundred flights and sold it and now have #2, dive a little swept. Both also have a slight change in roll. I have four modes and trim for roll and pitch is linked to each mode. Modes are wings out flaps up, mid and landing and wings swept. I have standard flaps, not full span.

Comment

Can those who have typically flown this plane please comment on the trim change when going from wings "out" to wings "swept in"? I'm still gathering the nerve to sweep the wings in during flight, having read about extreme trim changes that happen during and after a wing sweep and back out again. Some have indicated that they have put different trim settings on flight modes to make it less busy. Does the plane suffer from severe nose dive when sweeping in or does it balloon?
                                  I had three and only one had a bad roll to it that I had to really do some mixes to get it straight, other two flew great with just a slight trim needed but nothing serious, to me the best way to test your first wing sweep is to hit the switch and watch what it does to see which way it rolls or if any roll at all and be ready on the switch to extend them quickly if something is not right, do this a few times until your for sure everything is good, I flew mine all stock right out of the box and they flew great actually in swept wing, I was expecting a little more excitement but it was like, oh that's it moment, but it looks cool, I didn't notice any drop in the nose or anything strange there, it was just a slight roll trim on the two which I mixed in with my wing sweep switch, I just kept mine simple and flew them per the manual except CG of course, we all know to move the CG back a little, good luck and I think you will find it not so bad if you do the short wing sweep test.

Comment

• Thanks, guys. I'm flying it tomorrow. Will see if have the nads to do it.

Comment

• You got this, just flip the switch and go for it!

Comment

• Good luck. It’s a trainer with the wings out. I sweep the wings while banked in a turn. That way any trim change is not noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                                        X