Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm with you guys on the servos. I am not trusting a $500-$800 jet on $10 servos... That would be like buying New Ford GT and putting Bias Ply tires on her.( for those who don't know what Bias ply is look back to the 60's)
    I have D85MG Hitec servos on all my 90mm Jets elevators including my Blue, They are so much more precise and can handle the torque. Right now all the supply houses are out of them, so waiting to get 6 more to do some ailerons as well for my F-4, F-16 & F-15 already upgrade my F-22 to HS85 for the Ailerons and D85's Elevator.
    The T-33, F-18 ,F-35 (just ordered) both Elev & Aileron for the F-35, F-16(70mm) take Hitec HS 5065's for the Ailerons and the F-4 / HS5245MG for the Elevator. So as you can tell by now I really like the Hitec servos.....

Comment

• Flew my legacy F-18C Freewing plane today for the first time since last fall. Flew fine, although for some reason I was unable to raise the gear, even though on the ground it works perfectly. I'll have to take it out again soon when the weather permits and see if it has worked that problem out of its system

I fly with what I call the "Deluxe Elbee Cockpit" where Elbee had taken extraordinary efforts to fashion a very scale cockpit with 3D parts that he designed and printed. He was nice enough to let me have the STL files to print my own cockpit, which is totally cool. The new cockpit is a bit heavier, but much more scale, of course. I compensate by moving the battery back an inch and a half rearward or so and this balances out perfectly. This plane is painted up as the VFA-146 Blue Diamonds squadron, and you can see the scale blue diamonds decoration on the pilot's helmet which was typical when they flew this aircraft.

I still have my A-4E, F-4N, and B-2 to get flying again. They check out in the shop ok and I think they are ready for another season of flying!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1103.jpgadjsuted.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	374441Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0983.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	374442

Comment

• davegee I thank you, Sir, I must say I am pleasantly surprised at your effort. Bravo Zulu. The G-Code files are also available for no cost at Printables (Prusa Research website) under the User Name: Stevie. There is a parts listing and some reference pictures. This was my first attempt at designing a semi-cockpit and it was a great project. Fit vs Scale was the key and compromises were made for both. Always loved the "Blue Diamonds" Scheme and almost did their CAG bird, but opted for VF-41 Black Aces Fa-18F Hornet livery on a Legacy Hornet. Call it poetic license. Again, great work, Dave. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          davegee I thank you, Sir, I must say I am pleasantly surprised at your effort. Bravo Zulu. The G-Code files are also available for no cost at Printables (Prusa Research website) under the User Name: Stevie. There is a parts listing and some reference pictures. This was my first attempt at designing a semi-cockpit and it was a great project. Fit vs Scale was the key and compromises were made for both. Always loved the "Blue Diamonds" Scheme and almost did their CAG bird, but opted for VF-41 Black Aces Fa-18F Hornet livery on a Legacy Hornet. Call it poetic license. Again, great work, Dave. Best, LB
          Hi Elbee: I haven't flown with the original stock cockpit since the first time I put your "Deluxe" cockpit kit on this airplane, I just recorded my 21st flight this morning, having bought this model last year. I hope to get a lot of flights on it this summer season!

BTW, my printer is on its way to Praha tonight. I'll let you know what they find out on why the printer could not read or detect any G Code files, outside of the ones that came on a USB drive that came with the printer. I printed two tree frogs for Gail, and she is going to paint them in some wild colors of an actual tree frog from the jungle regions. The printing of all those sample pieces went without a hitch. It does a wonderful job, now if they can must make it communicate with other outside files like Corsair wheel hubs, for instance, I think I'll be well on my way! I expect I'll be down at least a few weeks before I can see what they came up with for a fix, thought. sigh...

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
            Flew my legacy F-18C Freewing plane today for the first time since last fall. Flew fine, although for some reason I was unable to raise the gear, even though on the ground it works perfectly. I'll have to take it out again soon when the weather permits and see if it has worked that problem out of its system

I fly with what I call the "Deluxe Elbee Cockpit" where Elbee had taken extraordinary efforts to fashion a very scale cockpit with 3D parts that he designed and printed. He was nice enough to let me have the STL files to print my own cockpit, which is totally cool. The new cockpit is a bit heavier, but much more scale, of course. I compensate by moving the battery back an inch and a half rearward or so and this balances out perfectly. This plane is painted up as the VFA-146 Blue Diamonds squadron, and you can see the scale blue diamonds decoration on the pilot's helmet which was typical when they flew this aircraft.

I still have my A-4E, F-4N, and B-2 to get flying again. They check out in the shop ok and I think they are ready for another season of flying!

Name:	IMG-1103.jpgadjsuted.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	374441Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0983.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	374442
            Spectacular Dave, it really adds to the scale appearance with that cockpit and your bird looks outstanding, as usual. If I remember correctly, my "Super Duper LB Cockpit" added about an extra 250 gr of weight in the nose. I did use a JHH 1/10 scale full body pilot though which is a bit heavier than yours, but that's what I get when I ask my CO for something and she does her Marie-Antoinette impression and says "Let Them Eat Cake", it's only a few extra pounds. That pilot will fit in but you have to cut him off at the knees. LB has a terrific pilot in his that he even 3D printed his arms in a salute, as he always has to go the extra degree for perfection.

Name:	20200407_153219.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	374459Click image for larger version

Name:	20210307_141837.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	374460

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

davegee I thank you, Sir, I must say I am pleasantly surprised at your effort. Bravo Zulu. The G-Code files are also available for no cost at Printables (Prusa Research website) under the User Name: Stevie. There is a parts listing and some reference pictures. This was my first attempt at designing a semi-cockpit and it was a great project. Fit vs Scale was the key and compromises were made for both. Always loved the "Blue Diamonds" Scheme and almost did their CAG bird, but opted for VF-41 Black Aces Fa-18F Hornet livery on a Legacy Hornet. Call it poetic license. Again, great work, Dave. Best, LB
              Hi Elbee: To correct any possible confusion over this cockpit printing, it was done last year, and I had a friend print up the files on his printer. Wish it was my work, but I might use some of these G Code files for practice when my machine is ready and sent back to me. It is winging its way to Praha, as we speak. Prusa has been very nice and helpful and I am confident that they will correct the problem and send it back to me so I can start printing all these cool files. I still have confidence in this company, and I guess as a side benefit, replacing the Buddy board and disassembling the whole printer for shipping back to them has been an educating experience, like proficiently field-stripping your M-1 Garand!

I'll keep you posted for progress. They said they are short-handed due to employee illnesses so it will probably take a week to two weeks to get to it in the queue to look at it. I can't believe how conversant they are in the English language, even American colloquialisms when I was spending hours on the help chat online service. It was as if I was chatting with you or Hugh Wiedman, although their names were humanly unpronounceable, at least to me!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Spectacular Dave, it really adds to the scale appearance with that cockpit and your bird looks outstanding, as usual. If I remember correctly, my "Super Duper LB Cockpit" added about an extra 250 gr of weight in the nose. I did use a JHH 1/10 scale full body pilot though which is a bit heavier than yours, but that's what I get when I ask my CO for something and she does her Marie-Antoinette impression and says "Let Them Eat Cake", it's only a few extra pounds. That pilot will fit in but you have to cut him off at the knees. LB has a terrific pilot in his that he even 3D printed his arms in a salute, as he always has to go the extra degree for perfection.

Name:	20200407_153219.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	374459Click image for larger version

Name:	20210307_141837.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	374460
                Hi Hugh: yes, I think I found a somewhat smaller and lighter pilot to use for this cockpit, although I did buy the same one you have, that is still unassembled awaiting duty in some other aircraft someday! I think I conferred with you about battery placement for the CG before my maiden flight last year, and it was absolutely spot on! Although a disappointment that the gear would not retract for some unknown reason yesterday after many months of lying dormant in my workshop, I had never had this problem before, and it worked perfectly on the ground every time, even right after landing. So, I'm hoping that it was a transitory thing (just like our predicted inflation rate Ha!) and it will operate fine. Even with the gear down, I had a great flight and it was obvious the CG was perfect.

We're due for some snow this weekend, several inches of the white stuff, but I guess I try to convince myself that the moisture in any form is good. Without that moisture, we live on Mars up here in northwest Wyoming!

Enjoy your flying in sunny, hot Miami area this weekend!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi Elbee: To correct any possible confusion over this cockpit printing, it was done last year, and I had a friend print up the files on his printer. Wish it was my work, but I might use some of these G Code files for practice when my machine is ready and sent back to me. It is winging its way to Praha, as we speak. Prusa has been very nice and helpful and I am confident that they will correct the problem and send it back to me so I can start printing all these cool files. I still have confidence in this company, and I guess as a side benefit, replacing the Buddy board and disassembling the whole printer for shipping back to them has been an educating experience, like proficiently field-stripping your M-1 Garand!

I'll keep you posted for progress. They said they are short-handed due to employee illnesses so it will probably take a week to two weeks to get to it in the queue to look at it. I can't believe how conversant they are in the English language, even American colloquialisms when I was spending hours on the help chat online service. It was as if I was chatting with you or Hugh Wiedman, although their names were humanly unpronounceable, at least to me!

Cheers

Davegee
                  Dave, glad to read that things are moving forward.

It is a crying shame that you've had these issues as my experiences with the machine and the company have been exemplary to say the least.

As for Czech consonants versus vowels, I remember an episode of "Click and Clack" the Tappet Brothers (Car Talk) that addressed that very thing.
                  In fact, they joked that Congress had passed a bill to make an emergency air drop of thousands of vowels to Bosnia. Hysterical radio.

Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Dave, glad to read that things are moving forward.

It is a crying shame that you've had these issues as my experiences with the machine and the company have been exemplary to say the least.

As for Czech consonants versus vowels, I remember an episode of "Click and Clack" the Tappet Brothers (Car Talk) that addressed that very thing.
                    In fact, they joked that Congress had passed a bill to make an emergency air drop of thousands of vowels to Bosnia. Hysterical radio.

Best, LB
                    Funny! I was just thinking about "Click and Clack" yesterday! Last night on the radio, one of them was on the air advertising for some product for your car, (I think one of them passed away sadly a few years ago.) I used to listen to them every weekend with their delicious humor and outrageous Boston accents. They were the best thing going for many years, in my opinion.

I was impressed how hard the Prusa team were trying to get a solution for my problem. I think we went through every possible option on the chat line, even me taking pics of the USB port and sending it to them to see if it was damaged in some way. I think since the problem continued after switching out the Buddy board, the problem lies somewhere else, and the experts will hopefully find the issue and correct it so when I get it back in a few weeks I won't have any problems printing these other G Code Files like the Corsair wheels, for instance.

This is costing them some serious money to ship it priority mail to and from, as well as the time spent fixing my machine. They are serious and want the best for their customers. That says a lot about the company how they handle situations when things don't go right, but work diligently to correct it.

If they can fix the problem and get me off and running again, the delays and disappointments will be forgotten and it will all be worth it.

Stay tuned!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Elbee - the ejection seat would be appropriate for a number of models using Martin Baker seats, but gcode is rather inflexible. Any chance you could supply the STL file so it could be scaled easily?

Comment

• kallend, Sure, PM me. The file is large it might not send through Hobby Squawk. If so, I'll need an email address. Best, Steve
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

kallend, Sure, PM me. The file is large it might not send through Hobby Squawk. If so, I'll need an email address. Best, Steve
                          Got it, made it, thanks.

Comment

• Comment

• Your drone footage is very well done. Always enjoy the visuals and stick talent!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Anyone have the manual for the JL F-18 Turbine Conversion Kit?

Novajets specializes in small jet kits, turbine conversion kits, and is a Swiwin engine dealer. Specializing in premium professional products and accessories for building, flying, and repairing radio control airplanes.

Comment

• My first Freewing plane and its a good flying plane.

Comment

• I agree!

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulH64 View Post
                                      My first Freewing plane and its a good flying plane.
                                      Great weathering Paul! Really well done. Welcome to the squawk

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulH64 View Post
                                        My first Freewing plane and its a good flying plane.
                                        PH, Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Great work on your Hornet. Looking forward to more posts. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Welcome to The Squawk Paul! Nice work on your Hornet!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X