Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone! I finally got the time to sit down and make a post with the assembly of my custom Callie Graphics Alaska Airlines AL-37. Below are 16 images from the box through flight of the project. All details of the assembly are in the image descriptions. For those curious on the color I used for the tail, here it is. I also went to Home Depot with the wings to match the white for touch up since the white came off easily from decals/prep tape for the paint. Overall, I had a blast doing it and it was my first time ever doing custom work on any model (livery wise). Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_214959846_iOS.jpg
Views:	1442
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	223604
    Ready to unbox!

Name:	20191216_215003050_iOS.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	223591
    Unboxed and ready to begin the project.

Name:	20191216_215007522_iOS.jpg
Views:	1437
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	223592
    The Alaska decals by Callie Graphics all set to go. Even the doggo approves...maybe?

Name:	20191216_215011183_iOS.jpg
Views:	1467
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	223589
    Fuselage glued together, vertical fin installed, first batch of tail graphics installed (as much
    as I could do before beginning paint on the tail)

Name:	20191216_215017735_iOS.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	223594
    Winglet/scimitar decals installed. Kept it simple.

Name:	20191216_215014800_iOS.jpg
Views:	1460
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	223605
    Nacelles all completed. I forgot to measure twice and cut once on a couple of the warning
    decals but thankfully since Callie had doubled those decals in addition to the ones that
    come in the box, I was able to make it work.

Name:	20191216_215032260_iOS.jpg
Views:	1455
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	223593
    Wings completed. These were difficult to get on properly but I'm happy with how it
    turned out all things considered.

Name:	20191216_215021025_iOS.jpg
Views:	1543
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	223600
    Tail all prepped for painting. I opted to prep with painter's tape just shy of the blue on
    Callie's tail graphics. I knew my blue paint wasn't quite a perfect match so chose to
    paint over the graphics to ensure a perfect match. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Name:	20191216_215035116_iOS.jpg
Views:	1500
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	223599
    It took 4 of these 150ml cans to get a good looking solid paint on the tail. This paint was
    a winner in regards to the decals...ZERO paint peeled off when removing/installing the
    tail decals as opposed to the stock white paint on the airplane. Acrylic is the way to go.

Name:	20191216_215038162_iOS.jpg
Views:	1465
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	223597
    Fresh paint after removing the prep. Note that the match worked and the blue on the
    decal isn't even noticeable as part of the decal.

Name:	20191216_215043964_iOS.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	223596
    Lots of cutting...trimming...holding it...comparing it to the photos of the real plane...going
    back...nah that isn't quite right...hey hun, can you hold this for me? LOL. Glad with
    how it turned out though! Long live the Eskimo.

Name:	20191216_215046968_iOS.jpg
Views:	1557
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	223595
    Final product! So happy with this bird.

Name:	20191216_215050004_iOS.jpg
Views:	1562
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	223603
    Tail view.

Name:	20191216_215053027_iOS.jpg
Views:	1544
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	223601
    Nose view.

Name:	20191216_215056045_iOS.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	223606
    Whoops! Accidentally ordered "737 MAX 9" instead of 8 from Callie...8 will be ordered
    soon. :-P

Name:	20191216_215058266_iOS.jpg
Views:	1555
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	223588
    Video still from in-flight. I hope to have a video out in the next couple weeks on my channel. Stay tuned and happy flying!

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Not in the EU warehouse.
      My mistake I thought you were in SC , actually I just got an email mine just shipped.

Comment

• Great job zdsweet, turned out fantastic. I appreciate the photos especially since that is the livery I will be choosing as well.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by zdsweet View Post
          Hey everyone! I finally got the time to sit down and make a post with the assembly of my custom Callie Graphics Alaska Airlines AL-37. Below are 16 images from the box through flight of the project. All details of the assembly are in the image descriptions. For those curious on the color I used for the tail, here it is. I also went to Home Depot with the wings to match the white for touch up since the white came off easily from decals/prep tape for the paint. Overall, I had a blast doing it and it was my first time ever doing custom work on any model (livery wise). Enjoy!

Name:	20191216_214959846_iOS.jpg
Views:	1442
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	223604
          Ready to unbox!

Name:	20191216_215003050_iOS.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	223591
          Unboxed and ready to begin the project.

Name:	20191216_215007522_iOS.jpg
Views:	1437
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	223592
          The Alaska decals by Callie Graphics all set to go. Even the doggo approves...maybe?

Name:	20191216_215011183_iOS.jpg
Views:	1467
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	223589
          Fuselage glued together, vertical fin installed, first batch of tail graphics installed (as much
          as I could do before beginning paint on the tail)

Name:	20191216_215017735_iOS.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	223594
          Winglet/scimitar decals installed. Kept it simple.

Name:	20191216_215014800_iOS.jpg
Views:	1460
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	223605
          Nacelles all completed. I forgot to measure twice and cut once on a couple of the warning
          decals but thankfully since Callie had doubled those decals in addition to the ones that
          come in the box, I was able to make it work.

Name:	20191216_215032260_iOS.jpg
Views:	1455
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	223593
          Wings completed. These were difficult to get on properly but I'm happy with how it
          turned out all things considered.

Name:	20191216_215021025_iOS.jpg
Views:	1543
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	223600
          Tail all prepped for painting. I opted to prep with painter's tape just shy of the blue on
          Callie's tail graphics. I knew my blue paint wasn't quite a perfect match so chose to
          paint over the graphics to ensure a perfect match. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Name:	20191216_215035116_iOS.jpg
Views:	1500
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	223599
          It took 4 of these 150ml cans to get a good looking solid paint on the tail. This paint was
          a winner in regards to the decals...ZERO paint peeled off when removing/installing the
          tail decals as opposed to the stock white paint on the airplane. Acrylic is the way to go.

Name:	20191216_215038162_iOS.jpg
Views:	1465
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	223597
          Fresh paint after removing the prep. Note that the match worked and the blue on the
          decal isn't even noticeable as part of the decal.

Name:	20191216_215043964_iOS.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	223596
          Lots of cutting...trimming...holding it...comparing it to the photos of the real plane...going
          back...nah that isn't quite right...hey hun, can you hold this for me? LOL. Glad with
          how it turned out though! Long live the Eskimo.

Name:	20191216_215046968_iOS.jpg
Views:	1557
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	223595
          Final product! So happy with this bird.

Name:	20191216_215050004_iOS.jpg
Views:	1562
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	223603
          Tail view.

Name:	20191216_215053027_iOS.jpg
Views:	1544
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	223601
          Nose view.

Name:	20191216_215056045_iOS.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	223606
          Whoops! Accidentally ordered "737 MAX 9" instead of 8 from Callie...8 will be ordered
          soon. :-P

Name:	20191216_215058266_iOS.jpg
Views:	1555
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	223588
          Video still from in-flight. I hope to have a video out in the next couple weeks on my channel. Stay tuned and happy flying!

Amazing work there . Did you experience and paint coming off the fuselage? After you pulled the masking tape off ??

I need to do my fuselage. But slightly worried

Comment

• Engines out the paint shop
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Apriliamgt View Post

Amazing work there . Did you experience and paint coming off the fuselage? After you pulled the masking tape off ??

I need to do my fuselage. But slightly worried
              Originally posted by Aros View Post
              Great job zdsweet, turned out fantastic. I appreciate the photos especially since that is the livery I will be choosing as well.
              Thanks guys!

Yes, Apriliamgt, even peeling back slowly, some paint came off. Most stayed on, though. I bought the matched touch up white paint for this reason. It's important to note that you should always prep in room temperature. AKA install decals and paint when the foam and ambient temp are room temperature for best results. This includes peeling the tape off. You could also carefully from a distance hold a heat gun and point it at where you're peeling back to try and prevent the paint from peeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by zdsweet View Post
                Thanks guys!.
                ZDS, A very hearty welcome to "The Squawk" and kudos on a job well done. She looks great, Sir. Best, LB
                I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  Where is it coming apart? I couldn't see anything in the video.
                  My fuse glue joint also separated at the top. Might be a good idea to add a short carbon tube piece at the backbone prior to assembling the fuse halves. I solved the problem by adding internal reinforcement/braces at the joint. Easy to work...can put your arm down the fuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                    I used the glue it came with and it feels very strong. I put light coat on rod and the placed them into front half of fuse. Pulled them out let them air for 30sec then reinsert them, then twist, twist, twist. Then light coat on both front and back halves of fuse and on rods sticking out. Wait 30sec, slide together, pull apart wait 10sec and slid back together. Hold together for a minute.
                    When done I couldn’t budge it.

gravy
                    My fuse glue joint also separated at the top. Might be a good idea to add a short carbon tube piece at the backbone prior to assembling the fuse halves. I solved the problem by adding internal reinforcement/braces at the joint. Easy to work...can put your arm down the fuse.

Comment

• There have been a couple of issues with the fuselage separation at the joint after a few flights. Just curious if the painted tape that came with the model to go around the joint was used or not? I suspect that tape may have been more than cosmetic and was actually additional strengthening of that glue joint.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dkurtzid View Post
                        There have been a couple of issues with the fuselage separation at the joint after a few flights. Just curious if the painted tape that came with the model to go around the joint was used or not? I suspect that tape may have been more than cosmetic and was actually additional strengthening of that glue joint.
                        That strip is about 1/2-3/4" wide. Not sure if it will help hold the two halves together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowflight View Post

My mistake I thought you were in SC , actually I just got an email mine just shipped.
                          I am. But, the person who was asking stated "EU warehouse" in his question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                            anyone doing an earlier model 737, do you plan on modifing the scallops on the engine nacelles? if so did you find a technique that worked well to fill in the voids?
                            I'm doing a C40, well a stretched C40... ;-) I removed the chevrons and extended the thrust tube to make a somewhat scale looking engine that should not affect fan performance as long as you keep the exit diameter of the thrust tube to 59 mm. I added a ring to the thrust tube to make it look more scale like. I still need to use an air brush for some added detail and finish the paint where I removed the chevrons but I think it looks OK for a semi-scale engine that you can fly with. I used the metal hose clamp with a heat gun to help form the ring to fit the thrust tube to make it easier to glue in place. The thrust tube material is from Hobby Lobby. No 3D printing required and the thin materials used only added a few grams to the plane.

Comment

• I watched most of the videos on the AL37, however i could not gauge how much runway it needs to take off and land. Can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much runway @ minimum would be needed for take off and landing. Thanx

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome and responses, guys, and thanks, Alpha, for the info on the shipping situation to the EU. I've signed up for the "Notify me" option so I'll watch and wait. It's cr*p weather for flying in the UK now anyway !
                                Meanwhile I'll enjoy reading what others have done, some really great liveries so far and your engine nacelle mod looks fantastic Harold. This plane really is a blank canvas for all airliner enthusiasts !

Comment

• I just finished wrapping my 37. Taking some modeler's license I'm calling it a C-40D.

JB

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                                    I just finished wrapping my 37. Taking some modeler's license I'm calling it a C-40D.

JB
                                    Very nice !

Comment

• Alpha Just wanted to thank the Guys at Motion and of course Alpha! The plane is outstanding, every new foamy I get from Motion/freewing just keeps getting better and better, incredible features and overall finish.
                                      It arrived here in Suffolk, UK on Monday at 0900 and was pretty much built, stickered, radio fitted and programmed by 1700, including stopping for lunch and every ten minutes or so to just stand back and admire it, wow!!
                                      The packaging was excellent and it arrived without even a mark on it. Fair play to the factory for really up'ing their production and packing techniques.
                                      My local flying club had its pre-christmas meeting monday evening and I took it along. The reaction was amazing and most of the guys there struggled to tell it was foam.
                                      I'm really, really impressed.
                                      Now I just need to get some decent weather to give it its maiden!!

Comment

• So wanting to order one of these. Does anybody know if the planes for US customers ship out from IL, Just trying to guess how long it may take to arrive. There sure are some inspiring pictures and videos in this thread!

Comment

• Nebraska Trevor Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Yes, all our US orders are shipped from our Illinois fulfillment center. With the Free Shipping option, transit to either coast takes around 5 business days on average, and the closer you are to Illinois from the coast, the shorter the transit is, under normal circumstances. With Christmas next week, though, I would not expect normal transit times from the shipping companies.

Thanks for the opportunity to earn your business!

Porkster Thank you, I'm glad you and your club liked it!
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X