X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
    Anybody planning to gather some measured speed numbers?
    I intend to eventually make an FPV build with the jet and that will feature a pitot tube with proper airspeed reading ;)

And wow man... 1000 flights on the AL-37, can only guess how many with the P-38... that is nuts, hats off to you! :D

Comment

Interested to see when the first GPS recorders report.

You may well be correct. It’s all a perception thing, anyway, unless you’re running through a manned timing gate or GPSing it and account for natural wind effects. The AL37 may appear slower to me because it has a larger visual footprint.

Anybody planning to gather some measured speed numbers?

-GG
      Justin Lamb just did a Facebook Live and clocked it at 126 with his GPS. I’ll be flying mine again on Friday and will check with my GPS too.

Comment

• Yeah, seems slower in the air as it's bigger, but not so much when it's flying by you on a hilltop!

Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

I intend to eventually make an FPV build with the jet and that will feature a pitot tube with proper airspeed reading ;)

And wow man... 1000 flights on the AL-37, can only guess how many with the P-38... that is nuts, hats off to you! :D
          Thanks - The downside is....If there is a weakness in any part of the design, I am gonna find it.

Before maidens, I attempt to “time harden” anything that looks like it might could use some post-production strengthening knowing in advance the use/abuse they’ll get.

MiG Speed
          =========

S25....126 mph is VERY respectable in my books. Is that adjusted for natural wind effects? Missiles on or off? Thanks.

-GG

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            Is this why drug dealers have no friends?
            Here in South Florida, the drug dealers are the only ones with friends, assuming they have cash. That's why I'm usually flying alone at our field during the week!
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corsair nut View Post
              Heres my mods and setup video...

https://youtu.be/N4DhpSZO8aA
              Corsair Nut - Thank you Thank you THANK YOU! Your experimentation with the falling leaf deep stall as you discussed in your video gives me relief that you found the recovery technique!

Has anyone tried to spin or snap roll their MiG?

-GG

Comment

• Ive snapped it. Ive also done some fallingleaf type deals...even a negative g tumble. The key is to stsrt up high hahhahaa

Comment

• Well guys... did a maiden, but it didn't go so well. Everything set up by the book (CG, throws, etc.) and upgraded servos with everything set up by the book. Not sure what happened, but I took off just fine, got about 5 mistakes high and tried to trim the aircraft; really was dealing with roll rate more than anything else - but the thing I recognized right away and told my spotter is "I don't have enough elevator". I got it up high to try and resolve it the best I could on the fly, but eventually as I began to slow on the upwind pass, I got into a shallow nose dive that was unrecoverable, EXACTLY like you see in some of the early videos. The aircraft wasn't totally destroyed, but bad enough to where it cannot be repaired. Elevator servos were in their full travel position commanding up elevator.

I'm bummed, but eh ... life goes on.

Comment

• Falcondriver - Crashing sucks. While fresh in your mind, can you write everything you did and experienced. Maybe there is a nugget in what you can share. Thanks in advance.

TX/RX set-up, too.....

-GG

Comment

• Short clip of today’s flying. This was the first time flying the MiG without ordinance.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Falcondriver - Crashing sucks. While fresh in your mind, can you write everything you did and experienced. Maybe there is a nugget in what you can share. Thanks in advance.

TX/RX set-up, too.....

-GG
                        Sure.

Equipment: Transmitter: Spektrum iX 20, Receiver: Spektrum AR630 (Gyro and Safe Mode NOT enabled). CG exactly per the book, High and Low rates set per the manual.

Take off and rollout normal - acceleration and rotation all normal, noticed right away that the aileron throws were WAY too much (high rate). Gentle climb left turn in the pattern, reduced power on the downwind leg. Continue left turn and gentle climb into the upwind leg, switch to low rate for a roll check, fixed aileron trim but noticed immediately, not enough elevator. Back to high rate and set up for landing. Turned downwind and then upwind in a gentle descent; attempted to slow down a little more, not slow flight - about 1/2 throttle in a gentle dive, never recovered with max nose up command. It went from flying like the CG was exactly right, to flying like it was nose heavy.

That's everything to the best of my recollection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
                          Short clip of today’s flying. This was the first time flying the MiG without ordinance.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/moti...6698000145116/
                          CG location, please. Looked neat! Thanks!
                          -GG

Comment

• Originally posted by Falcondriver View Post
                            but the thing I recognized right away and told my spotter is "I don't have enough elevator". I got it up high to try and resolve it the best I could on the fly, but eventually as I began to slow on the upwind pass, I got into a shallow nose dive that was unrecoverable, EXACTLY like you see in some of the early videos. The aircraft wasn't totally destroyed, but bad enough to where it cannot be repaired. Elevator servos were in their full travel position commanding up elevator.
                            Not happy to read these reports... :'(

Were you on low or high rates at the time of the jet going down?

EDIT: Sounds like high rates from your recent post?

Comment

Well guys... did a maiden, but it didn't go so well. Everything set up by the book (CG, throws, etc.) and upgraded servos with everything set up by the book. Not sure what happened, but I took off just fine, got about 5 mistakes high and tried to trim the aircraft; really was dealing with roll rate more than anything else - but the thing I recognized right away and told my spotter is "I don't have enough elevator". I got it up high to try and resolve it the best I could on the fly, but eventually as I began to slow on the upwind pass, I got into a shallow nose dive that was unrecoverable, EXACTLY like you see in some of the early videos. The aircraft wasn't totally destroyed, but bad enough to where it cannot be repaired. Elevator servos were in their full travel position commanding up elevator.

I'm bummed, but eh ... life goes on.
                              Elevator going through blue control box? The other control surfaces seem to work? Fans work?

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post

Not happy to read these reports... :'(

Were you on low, middle or high rates?
                                High rates for the landing

Comment

Elevator going through blue control box? The other control surfaces seem to work? Fans work?
                                  Yes sir, that is correct. All surfaces preflighted for correct direction and travel. Everything normal.

Comment

• I'm sure you've all seen this video as it started the whole issue with the servo rods being placed in the wrong hole (mine were not). If you look at the accident starting around 2:45, that is EXACTLY what my crash looked like:

Comment

I'm curious about the MCB also. Sounds exactly like what happened to mine. I was also dealing with the ailerons seeming to sensitive. I'm not using tailerons and it just seemed the controls are poorly balanced.

Comment

Yes sir, that is correct. All surfaces preflighted for correct direction and travel. Everything normal.
                                        RX and wiring layout? Thanks
                                        -GG

Comment

• The more I read about these dive crashes the more confused I am... there seems to be a common problem yet unidentified.

What I know so far is I am NOT going to maiden with factory reccommended CG.
                                          That will give some more margin (less stress required on elevators to pull nose up) but the root cause seems yet to elude us all.
                                          I bet I will be bypassing the blue box for mostly everything too.

Comment

Working...
                                          X