First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post 3307

Comment

• Originally posted by Airguardian View Post
      I think it's just pressing against the ceiling with the excess thrust ;)
      Correct. Here a few more seconds that hopefully convince you that the plane is neither dangling from the ceiling nor glued to it.

I am not flying the plane in full heavy configuration yet. Tuning the mechanical and electronical properties so that it is stable in a hovering-like condition is not so easy and takes time and many tests runs. Saving the 1kgs of the wings, elevators and rudders means I get more time and runs as the batteries last longer.

The fuselage as seen in the video weighs about 5 kgs and requires about 95A / 45 V = 4,3kW to maintain itself in the air. To have it stick to the ceiling requires more. Especially if the plane is not really stable, it likes to scratch along the ceiling ;-).

Cheers,
      Henrik

Comment

• I am sewing unicross chutes with drogue for anyone wishing to build a chute mechanism for the Freewing Mig-29. The chutes are 23” with 6 color choices. Gold, white, OD, yellow, orange&white and old gold.The chutes are made of taffeta ripstop nylon material with tex bonded nylon suspension lines. All the raw material cuts are sealed so no fraying will occur. For more info please drop me a pm. Thanks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	4DD75992-8560-4FB0-AEE4-873268092185.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	195.7 KB ID:	293703
        Click image for larger version  Name:	9DF06BF6-A747-4793-BC58-3A46B0686C94.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	158.9 KB ID:	293693
        Click image for larger version  Name:	DC4266F5-C3A7-4105-83FD-E21DC2EE93A5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	164.4 KB ID:	293697
        Click image for larger version  Name:	E6EA8C23-C920-4735-87B2-4482B4B9C58D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	17.2 KB ID:	293700Click image for larger version  Name:	28C7DE6C-B0FD-4C9C-83AE-CDA944F63C8C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	237.8 KB ID:	293695

Comment

• Originally posted by HK111 View Post
          Correct. Here a few more seconds that hopefully convince you that the plane is neither dangling from the ceiling nor glued to it.

I am not flying the plane in full heavy configuration yet. Tuning the mechanical and electronical properties so that it is stable in a hovering-like condition is not so easy and takes time and many tests runs. Saving the 1kgs of the wings, elevators and rudders means I get more time and runs as the batteries last longer.

The fuselage as seen in the video weighs about 5 kgs and requires about 95A / 45 V = 4,3kW to maintain itself in the air. To have it stick to the ceiling requires more. Especially if the plane is not really stable, it likes to scratch along the ceiling ;-).

Cheers,
          Henrik
          I stand corrected (as usual), the additional evidence is un-refutable!!!. You must know that I have a severely devious and warped mind and this is something I would do, so naturally I just assumed that. Now I really am impressed. In the immortal words of Butch Cassidy, "I can't do that, can you do that, how can he do that".
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrys View Post
            Mon nouveau MIG-29 Freewing aux couleurs de l'armée de l'air tchèque !!!! " Duc Cde " by CHRYS.
            This is the best repaint and work I´ve seen by now!!!! Very, very good!!!!

Comment

• MotionRC- Are there any plans to introduce any other color schemes for this jet? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steam28 View Post
                MotionRC- Are there any plans to introduce any other color schemes for this jet? Thanks.
                It would be good if they started selling it at all. Because the announcements were from October and in the meantime we have January and in the out of stock magazine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Steam28 View Post
                  MotionRC- Are there any plans to introduce any other color schemes for this jet? Thanks.
                  My expectation / naive hope is that they are working on a V2 with some necessary fixes (stronger tail, stronger elevator servos, possibly redesigned elevator axis, ...), let enough time pass, then ship it in Swifts (tx for the correction to AirGuardian) or Red Star designs with thrust vectoring from the factory, or others.

Comment

• I'm in the same boat, hope to see that the next batch is actually a V2 and comes with a few fundamental changes on the stab and stab assembly design, servos and a couple other things.

HK111 Russian Knights don't fly the 29 though, sure you meant 'Strizhi' (Swifts). And yeah, that's a hella cool livery! :D

Comment

• Originally posted by HK111 View Post
                      My expectation / naive hope is that they are working on a V2 with some necessary fixes (stronger tail, stronger elevator servos, possibly redesigned elevator axis, ...), let enough time pass, then ship it in Swifts (tx for the correction to AirGuardian) or Red Star designs with thrust vectoring from the factory, or others.
                      If thats the case I sure hope they design it in such a way that those of us with the "v1" can get the upgraded parts.

Comment

• My MIG works just fine as is out of box. Flies great and did my own upgrades. That's why this is a hobby. Added my own servos just because. I didn't see any issues with the tail section. Pushed and pulled with force with no play noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
                          My MIG works just fine as is out of box. Flies great and did my own upgrades. That's why this is a hobby. Added my own servos just because. I didn't see any issues with the tail section. Pushed and pulled with force with no play noted.
                          If you added your own servos it isn't "as is out of the box".

The overwhelming majority of Boeing 737 MAX planes worked just fine, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

If you added your own servos it isn't "as is out of the box".

The overwhelming majority of Boeing 737 MAX planes worked just fine, too.
                            After 7 flights I added my own upgrades. Still flew great out of the box is all I'm saying. Others have over 200 flights out of box with no issues. A lot of issues were with WOT and full flaps. A big no no.

Comment

• Nothing is really out of the box CP, especially the Mig. Can you tell us what your set up was for those 7 flights? I assume you put in a receiver, did you use a gyro? What batteries did you use? What where your CG, throws etc?

Since then what are the upgrades you've done.

"Added my own servos just because"... What servos and which did you replace? Just because what?

It's never really been proven what the crashes were caused by. Obviously FW/ Motion think that stronger stab servos were the cure, but the cure for what. That said I also flew mine before the "upgrade" FW servos got to me but I did make a linkage change (not set up per the instructions) so was that out of the box or not. The issue I really have is making a statement that the MiG works fine out of the box is misleading to people unaware of the issues.

I am a tinkerer too so I do know what you mean by "hobby" but others may define hobby as pulling a BNF out of a box and down loading the set up from HH and flying, not even checking servo centering, trim, throws, balance or range...

Comment

• Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
                                . Others have over 200 flights out of box with no issues.
                                And the overwhelming majority of Boeing 737 MAX planes worked just fine, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                  Nothing is really out of the box CP, especially the Mig. Can you tell us what your set up was for those 7 flights? I assume you put in a receiver, did you use a gyro? What batteries did you use? What where your CG, throws etc?

Since then what are the upgrades you've done.

"Added my own servos just because"... What servos and which did you replace? Just because what?

It's never really been proven what the crashes were caused by. Obviously FW/ Motion think that stronger stab servos were the cure, but the cure for what. That said I also flew mine before the "upgrade" FW servos got to me but I did make a linkage change (not set up per the instructions) so was that out of the box or not. The issue I really have is making a statement that the MiG works fine out of the box is misleading to people unaware of the issues.

I am a tinkerer too so I do know what you mean by "hobby" but others may define hobby as pulling a BNF out of a box and down loading the set up from HH and flying, not even checking servo centering, trim, throws, balance or range...
                                  Doing this for 50 years and always use the SWAG method and has been flawless for me. Have yet to check throws accept for proper direction without issue. The MIG is a solid platform and stable. AS3X installed and have yet to turn it on. Added AB lights and sound system after 3rd flight. No CG check done after the install. Range check always as required, 30% expo has been my normal for 8 years. Mechanically center all flight controls which is normal. In-flight trim if required. When I say out of box, it's a given that some things require correction which would be obvious to the long time hobbyist but not replace anything for the first few flights. Receiver of your choice does not fall into ARF. BNF different story. Bind it go fly it, however I do ensure everything is centered. To me out of box means I haven't changed major components for first flights. Just my way and hasn't failed me. Batteries don't concern me as long as I fly what is required. Not an electronic whiz. C ratings really don't care. 35c and 45c is all I fly. 5000-6250Mah or 3600 for 70mm jets. Now into turbines, oh what fun.

Comment

• That might be an unfair comparison. Anytime lives have been lost, the seriousness of the matter escalates. Eg, COVID-19 ....................... Overall in the world, 1.2% of the world's population has contracted the virus and 0.26% of the world's population has died. In terms of percentages, that's not very much, but it makes up hundreds of millions of lives affected and less than 2 million lives lost.
                                    2 Max 8 jets crashed, resulting on several hundred lives lost. That's 2 jets out of how many in the world? And 346 souls lost out of how many who flew on Max 8's without incident?
                                    So hundreds of "out of the box" flights went without incident..................... Which numbers matter to you?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      That might be an unfair comparison. Anytime lives have been lost, the seriousness of the matter escalates. Eg, COVID-19 ....................... Overall in the world, 1.2% of the world's population has contracted the virus and 0.26% of the world's population has died. In terms of percentages, that's not very much, but it makes up hundreds of millions of lives affected and less than 2 million lives lost.
                                      2 Max 8 jets crashed, resulting on several hundred lives lost. That's 2 jets out of how many in the world? And 346 souls lost out of how many who flew on Max 8's without incident?
                                      So hundreds of "out of the box" flights went without incident..................... Which numbers matter to you?
                                      Just because a design deficiency doesn't show up on the first, 10th or 100th flight doesn't mean it's not lurking there waiting for just the right combination of circumstances to trigger it.

Comment

• Thanks for the reply. It's mostly what I assumed. We have to be careful what we post and it's context. I was really looking for your setup specific to the MiG, what I got from the below is you are not using a gyro, have not set throws per the manual but to your liking (not a bad thing), added AB lights, good to know for balance but knowing what batteries you are using would be better info, and no major components have been changed.

Have you added any reflex? You say you have now changed servos, which ones and to what? Have you altered any pushrods?

How many flights do you have now? Are you happy with it or still adjusting?

By the way any time someone starts out with "Doing this for 50 years" I roll my eyes. I've been doing it for at least that long and have seen many people that even after that long have no clue in general or about specific things. We are all learning, or I hope we all are. I subscribe to the mantra of you don't know what you don't know with a sub mantra of those that think they do (know everything) are stupid. I'm not saying that about you specifically.

What are you meaning by the acronym SWAG? I would use that looks about right...

Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post

Doing this for 50 years and always use the SWAG method and has been flawless for me. Have yet to check throws accept for proper direction without issue. The MIG is a solid platform and stable. AS3X installed and have yet to turn it on. Added AB lights and sound system after 3rd flight. No CG check done after the install. Range check always as required, 30% expo has been my normal for 8 years. Mechanically center all flight controls which is normal. In-flight trim if required. When I say out of box, it's a given that some things require correction which would be obvious to the long time hobbyist but not replace anything for the first few flights. Receiver of your choice does not fall into ARF. BNF different story. Bind it go fly it, however I do ensure everything is centered. To me out of box means I haven't changed major components for first flights. Just my way and hasn't failed me. Batteries don't concern me as long as I fly what is required. Not an electronic whiz. C ratings really don't care. 35c and 45c is all I fly. 5000-6250Mah or 3600 for 70mm jets. Now into turbines, oh what fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by jkallend View Post

Just because a design deficiency doesn't show up on the first, 10th or 100th flight doesn't mean it's not lurking there waiting for just the right combination of circumstances to trigger it.
                                          What does this have to do with my response? My response was directed at the validity of the "comparison", NOT a commentary on what may or may not be "lurking".

Comment

Working...
                                          X