Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat.. do you fly off of grass or pavement?

Comment

• Pavement and geotex. I've never flown off grass, but most guys say they have no problem taking off grass with takeoff flaps.
      Pat

Comment

• I did set my throttle endpoints as you described. I did see a few recent posts about difficulty getting it off on grass I have a stinger 90 and the same field conditions I can get it off the ground in about 75 ft . My Stinger is definitely faster than the Mig using the same batteries.

Comment

• same here as well regarding the stinger v mig 21 still looking for fan replacment

Comment

• Originally posted by Jet10 View Post
            I did set my throttle endpoints as you described. I did see a few recent posts about difficulty getting it off on grass I have a stinger 90 and the same field conditions I can get it off the ground in about 75 ft . My Stinger is definitely faster than the Mig using the same batteries.
            Jet,
            My MIG is comming but i already flew one from my friend at a grass field.
            The first attempt was a liitle dificult even with takeoff flaps...during the lunch we adapt a little wood rectangular support under the nose gear, changing a bit the angle of attack...problems solved and the takeoff was much shorter.
            It should work in your case...
            Is the same thing that bbaumer made (post #314)

Comment

• Okay thanks... I'll give it a try. I still would like to see more performance aside from the take off issue. I still think it's a cool airplane!

Comment

• Ok folks...so I blocked my nose gear down 1/4 inch. Still cant get it out of our grass field. I flew at a different location on smooth gravel and it took approximately 125 ft to get it flying. It takes at least 75% power and lots of elevator to maintain attitude in a tight turn. CG slightly tail heavy. The only other EDF jet I have to compare is my stinger 90 and it way under performs it. It's a neat airplane but... but I have to say I am very disappointed by the performance. So if anyone comes up with a power upgrade or any other thoughts please post it.

Comment

• Does anyone know how to add simple( not sequenced) nose gear doors the the mig 21?

Comment

Ok folks...so I blocked my nose gear down 1/4 inch. Still cant get it out of our grass field. I flew at a different location on smooth gravel and it took approximately 125 ft to get it flying. It takes at least 75% power and lots of elevator to maintain attitude in a tight turn. CG slightly tail heavy. The only other EDF jet I have to compare is my stinger 90 and it way under performs it. It's a neat airplane but... but I have to say I am very disappointed by the performance. So if anyone comes up with a power upgrade or any other thoughts please post it.
                    If you are flying with the drop tanks, take them off. Big difference.
                    My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Bill, only a couple of flights with the fuel tanks... it does help with orientation though... but does slow it down even more I agree. I guess till I figure out how to get more power out of it it will be sitting on the shelf

Comment

• Originally posted by cashmoneybrother View Post
                        Does anyone know how to add simple( not sequenced) nose gear doors the the mig 21?
                        Sure do.

Comment

• That looks great! What kind of gear door are those?

Comment

• Made from 0.040" sheet styrene, Dubro hinges and a section of an old nose gear spring. I straightened out the wire from the spring coil and bent it in a 'U' shape with some loops on the ends that I looped through a couple of small brackets I made and glued to the gear doors. I also made a couple 'V' notched pieces to help keep the spring in place. The geometry of the spring is the trickiest part but fortunately I nailed it the first time. It has held up well and continues to operate flawlessly to this day.

Comment

• Ok, I see what you did now. I'll definitely be making a set for my Mig. It really cleans up the underside. Thanks for the info and the video.

Comment

Ok folks...so I blocked my nose gear down 1/4 inch. Still cant get it out of our grass field. I flew at a different location on smooth gravel and it took approximately 125 ft to get it flying. It takes at least 75% power and lots of elevator to maintain attitude in a tight turn. CG slightly tail heavy. The only other EDF jet I have to compare is my stinger 90 and it way under performs it. It's a neat airplane but... but I have to say I am very disappointed by the performance. So if anyone comes up with a power upgrade or any other thoughts please post it.
                                Hey Jet10, I wonder if your jet is working well.

Make sure your wheels are spinning freely and are not binding during takeoff with lateral force applied.
                                Lose the tanks.
                                Check your intake vent for debris.
                                Wet grass adds insult to injury.
                                Try no flaps to get the ground speed up.
                                What size batt are you using?

Mine gets up to 108 mph level flight...NO TANKS.
                                I can get it off the pavement in under 40 ft
                                I have gotten in trouble and basically stalled 3 feet above the runway nose up and just powered out of trouble with pure thrust and luck.

This weekend I will take off from our medium grass to see how she handles and will record it.

Comment

• I keep looking at this jet and just can't get myself to buy it for some reason, looks fun to fly but just not sure about it. I have all 5000 45c and 5000 60c lipos, shouldn't be a problem with the fit and all that and anything I should know about this one if I was to purchase it?..........:)

Comment

• It's a delta and flies like it. Loads of fun. Landing gear is tough as nails. Mine has required minimal maintenance overall. Good high alpha. Requires more roll out for take off from grass but will do it. Loads of fun!

Comment

How many Delta's have you flown before? They do fly differently and I love the way mine flies but they are not for everyone. You could always drop a Jet Fan 80 with a high performance motor in it if you want to try something different.

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your suggestions! All good ones! To my surprise I did find considerable amount of grass and gum build up in my fan which I'm not sure how but it went unnoticed before my last flight. I took the fan apart and cleaned it up and sprayed a thin coating of graphite lubricant on the housing to try to prevent grass from sticking. I'm going to mow the field as close as I can and see how it does.
                                        Itgordon00... I'm using pulse 5000 60c I must say they're an expensive battery but I fly them in my helicopter and they have given me very good service. I'll be looking forward to your video on grass

Comment

• RCjetdude....this is my first delta wing... I agree they do fly different. That is one reason this airplane appealed to me. I do like to go fast though!! Maybe now that my fan unit is cleaned up I'll be pleasantly surprised. Not sure how long it's been that way.

Comment

Working...
                                          X