Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so are you guys using the wing fences or not. got mine today and it took all of 1 hours to ready it for flight. best fit and finish yet. even better fit than my tiger cat as the elevator fit on that one was not very good for the screws to line up well but i made that one work..

this jet is awesome................

Comment

• No wing fences for me. Just extra weight to detract from performance.

Comment

• Prob not doing the fences either.

Comment

• Mine arrived this afternoon. I have it put together but am concerned about the amount of slop in the ball links. I am used to ball links being a tight fit and these have a fair amount of free movement perpendicular to the pushrod, which translates into a bit of fore/aft movement. So I am worried about control surface flutter. Anyone else having the same issue with the ball links? Main carbon spar was a very tight fit in the right wing panel, but some sanding with 220 and 400 cured that. I trimmed away some EPO foam and trim tape at the pinned hinges - now the surfaces move quietly. A great looking model and very nice mold work.

I assume the included glue is for the canopy, but I'll probably check with MRC to make sure - wouldn't want to ruin that nice canopy.

Comment

• Back in the early heli days we would put a small amount of CA on the balllink joint, let it harden and then swivel the ball link to break it free the glue would fill in the gap. Making the joint tight.

Comment

• Got it yesterday and had it together minus radio setup within an hour... Fit and finish was excellent... Can't wait to get it in the air but will have to wait since I am working 12 hrs a night for the next 3 nights...
              I may be asking a stupid question here, not the first, most likely not the last...:Thinking: After going over the manual a couple times, and watching the build video again I can not figure out what the 21/2 inch by 5/8 inch piece of plywood is used for in the parts bag. In the video he uses it to point at the battery tray when talking about removing the tray to run servo wires under it, and then drops it on the table never to be seen again... I am assuming it is something maybe used in building the ARF version... Anybody know what this is used for???

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post
                Got it yesterday and had it together minus radio setup within an hour... Fit and finish was excellent... Can't wait to get it in the air but will have to wait since I am working 12 hrs a night for the next 3 nights...
                I may be asking a stupid question here, not the first, most likely not the last...:Thinking: After going over the manual a couple times, and watching the build thread again I can not figure out what the 21/2 inch by 5/8 inch piece of plywood is used for in the parts bag. In the video he uses it to point at the battery tray when talking about removing the tray to run servo wires under it, and then drops it on the table never to be seen again... I am assuming it is something maybe used in building the ARF version... Anybody know what this is used for???
                I have the exact same question as well. The manual seems silent on what that piece of plywood is used for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flanker271 View Post

I have the exact same question as well. The manual seems silent on what that piece of plywood is used for.
                  I want to know to
                  It looks similar to the esc hold down block but I didn't measure it.

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post
                    Got it yesterday and had it together minus radio setup within an hour... Fit and finish was excellent... Can't wait to get it in the air but will have to wait since I am working 12 hrs a night for the next 3 nights...
                    I may be asking a stupid question here, not the first, most likely not the last...:Thinking: After going over the manual a couple times, and watching the build thread again I can not figure out what the 21/2 inch by 5/8 inch piece of plywood is used for in the parts bag. In the video he uses it to point at the battery tray when talking about removing the tray to run servo wires under it, and then drops it on the table never to be seen again... I am assuming it is something maybe used in building the ARF version... Anybody know what this is used for???
                    At 13:02 in the build video I think I still see it sitting on the table next to the green screwdriver. And the model is done except for rods and balancing. He uses it to tap on the battery tray at 9:30, so I guess that is your answer. It is a battery tray tapping stick. I've never received one of those with any ARF before, so this one is impressively complete.

Comment

• Nay on the wing fences... The plane looks like if flys great without them in the videos, and I think the plane looks better without them...

Comment

• Questions for Ryan:
                        1. Are you using any expo on ailerons or elevator? The manual doesn't call for any.
                        2. Are you using the control throws called out in the manual?
                        3. What paint is OK to use on the canopy tray? I want to paint mine before I glue on the canopy.
                        4. I assume the glue that comes with the model is OK to glue the canopy on with?
                        5. The front LG door spring is quite strong and has bowed the gear doors in so that one sits well below (inside the fuse) the other one when closed. Did you stretch this spring to reduce the force?
                        6. Ball links have side-to-side slop. Is this an issue (I don't want flutter at high speed)?
                        Thanks for your help!

Comment

• :(Im still wayting for the brown truck to deliver my Avanty S. But I have a feeling it is very close. :Cool:

Comment

• I don't know you guys but I feel like 38 years ago when I got my very first airplane for Christmas.

Comment

• I use a 3M ashesion promoter spray on first then paint the canopy that way there is no chance of seeing sanding scratches in the canopy and also helps the glue stick to the canopy. Works for me and never failed yet or peeled.

Comment

• Originally posted by horsefeetky View Post
                                so are you guys using the wing fences or not. got mine today and it took all of 1 hours to ready it for flight. best fit and finish yet. even better fit than my tiger cat as the elevator fit on that one was not very good for the screws to line up well but i made that one work..

this jet is awesome................
                                I'm on the fence about it.LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
                                  Back in the early heli days we would put a small amount of CA on the balllink joint, let it harden and then swivel the ball link to break it free the glue would fill in the gap. Making the joint tight.
                                  Used that trick as well. If my heli links were that sloppy, they'ld have been discarded.

Not going to use the fences do to rough quality.
                                  I painted all of the servos to match thier locations.
                                  Painted the cockpit interior with Testors paints dark medium gray and OD. Then applied the inst panel.
                                  Cleaned canopy and sprayed 4 coats of Tamiya TS-71 smoke on the inside. Looks very dark in the shade, but can see details in the light. Used RC56 to attach to tub.
                                  Used Lemon 7 channel DSMX diversity telemetry receiver with diversity sat receiver. (telemetry monitoring signal strength, receiver voltage, pack voltage and temp).
                                  Set up tripple rates with expo. Set thows per the manual with mid rates in between. I did think the aileron low rates were a bit aggresive, so dropped the low rate just a bit.
                                  Just need to set the CG with the two types of batteries.
                                  Weather looks good for tomorrow. Maiden scheduled!

Comment

• I went to go order a Kit Plus and they're out of stock, LOL. A day or two late, ha-ha. Go figure!

Comment

• I'm excited mine showed up today but since I'm out of town won't get to mess with it till Monday.:(

Comment

• CG done at 108mm with the plane inverted and gear down. with the gear up the CG shifts closer to the middle of the range in the manual. Had no problem getting it to balance at that point with either the Admiral Pro 4000mah 60C or Admiral 5000mah 50C packs.

The finish and parts fitments was excellent. No handling or shipping dings. No issues with electroncs at all. Even the servo arms were well centered at zero. The stock fan seems pretty well balanced out of the box. No reclocking was needed on mine. Really like the light set up on this bird. The white strobe and red anti-collision light are awesome.

The only notable issues were the loose ball link connectors and the roughness of the cut and finish of the wing fences. Still don't know what that plywood piece is for??????

Overall well done FW and MRC!:Cool: Hopefully it flys as good as it looks. Grass field maiden tomorrow.

Comment

• I noticed that order #2 is estimated for May 24th now!

Comment

Working...
                                          X