Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing T-33 Shooting Star 80mm EDF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
    This may have come up somewhere in the over 50 pages of discussion on the T-33, but if it hasn't, I wanted to ask if anyone has used wheel brakes on their planes to limit the ground roll on landing. The field I fly from has paved runways, but short and rough. Plus, it is at 5000 feet altitude, so approach speeds are a little faster than at sea level. My problem is that my plane, with no headwind has a tendency to roll through the end of the runway and into some pretty serious weeds and rough terrain when it occasionally departs the end of the runway at low speed. Even at these low speeds, I've had damage to the nose gear servo when the gear collapsed into a small hole. I strive to put the airplane at minimum speed, landing flaps, etc., but this plane just rolls forever, it seems. I don't have this problem with other planes I have that fly from this field.

So, if anyone has any tips for wheel brakes, what kind you use, how you hook them up, etc., that would be very much appreciated. I haven't ever installed wheel brakes before, but in this case for me, they're definitely warranted. Thanks!
    Pilot Ryan did an informative video on how to install the JP brakes on the Freewing F-4. I assume the process is similar to the T-33. Let me know if you or anyone else does it. Thinking about it for mine as well:

Do you want to know how to Install the JP Hobby Brakes from Rcjetwerx? Enjoy! Subscribe, and SHOP https://rcjetwerx.com/ for great RC Products! Shop our stor...

Side note: anyone have a paint recommendation for the green camo on the German scheme? need to do some touch-ups. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Skosh25 View Post

Pilot Ryan did an informative video on how to install the JP brakes on the Freewing F-4. I assume the process is similar to the T-33. Let me know if you or anyone else does it. Thinking about it for mine as well:

Do you want to know how to Install the JP Hobby Brakes from Rcjetwerx? Enjoy! Subscribe, and SHOP https://rcjetwerx.com/ for great RC Products! Shop our stor...

Side note: anyone have a paint recommendation for the green camo on the German scheme? need to do some touch-ups. Thanks!
      I have taken a part of a plane with the color I wanted to Lowes. For $4 they will mix up a perfect match...

Comment

• Look back a couple of pages and someone posted the mix labels from th epaint they had got from Home Depot. I just showed the assistant the picture on my phone and off he went.

Comment

• Almost finished repainting my T-33 into the 87th FIS scheme. Just needs a few more touches, and it will be complete! Today I also completed the swap over the Venom struts to give it the tail down stance of the real thing. Paint was all airbrushed with Real Color Acrylic Laquer ADC Grey. My dad actually flew in this aircraft, so it’s definitely an extra special model to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
            Almost finished repainting my T-33 into the 87th FIS scheme. Just needs a few more touches, and it will be complete! Today I also completed the swap over the Venom struts to give it the tail down stance of the real thing. Paint was all airbrushed with Real Color Acrylic Laquer ADC Grey. My dad actually flew in this aircraft, so it’s definitely an extra special model to me.
            Very well done! Your T-33 really does look great. And I love a sentimental project.

Comment

Almost finished repainting my T-33 into the 87th FIS scheme. Just needs a few more touches, and it will be complete! Today I also completed the swap over the Venom struts to give it the tail down stance of the real thing. Paint was all airbrushed with Real Color Acrylic Laquer ADC Grey. My dad actually flew in this aircraft, so it’s definitely an extra special model to me.
              Good job DD. I was thinking of doing mine in 48th FIS in honor of my father.

Comment

• F106DeltaDart Superb, DD, Superb! The ADC Grey looks sharp! I didn't know your father was a USAF aviator. Salute!
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Niiiice!

Comment

• Thank guys! Can’t wait to get it finished and in the air again! I’ve been dealing with a flooding issue that reduced my apartment from 2 rooms down to one dry room, so I’ve been outside painting as much as I can manage.
                    Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                    F106DeltaDart Superb, DD, Superb! The ADC Grey looks sharp! I didn't know your father was a USAF aviator. Salute!
                    Thanks Alpha! He was not a pilot, but a radar and weapons tech on the F-106. At one point, he earned Airmen of the Month and was awarded a ride in the six. He completed all the qualifications (high alt chambers, emergency procedures, etc) and was ready to have his supersonic ride. However, at the last minute a 106 pilot needed the 2 seater for some extra hours, so he was bumped off to flying the squadron’s T-33. The pilot knew how disappointed he was, so he decided to put him through the full aerobatic routine of loops, rolls, and low fast passes. I’ve heard him tell the story many times now and had always been looking to model the plane! Now I just need the 106 to keep it some company 😎.

Comment

Nice job on a great scheme.

Mike
                      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• My latest passion du jor. FPV. I put a system in my Carbon Z T-28 this weekend and loved it so I decided to move up to the next level of trainer. This is a head tracking system with Pan and Tilt on the camera. The kit canopy is not very clear so I designed and 3D printed a canopy frame. The camera's focus is on infinity so the instrument panel is slightly blurry but the kit decal of the instrument panel looks great! If the weather permits, I hope to try it out this weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3466.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	255906

Comment

• Ok ... 1st good weather in I don't know how long. Got the maiden in.....The T-33 is AWESOME 10 out of 10 .... Just push the 5000 Gens ace or Admiral pack against the BB.... ignore that 70 mm gap in the manual... Just Perfect and FAST, Great site picture, Lands like *****cat! Well Done Freewing and MOTION
                          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Here's a video from today's FPV flight with an E-flite F-16 and T-33. Sorry for such poor video quality. Going to get an improved recording system. The T-33 on FPV is Sweet! Super smooth. It's best not to watch it in Fullscreen.

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
                              Here's a video from today's FPV flight with an E-flite F-16 and T-33. Sorry for such poor video quality. Going to get an improved recording system. The T-33 on FPV is Sweet! Super smooth. It's best not to watch it in Fullscreen.
                              I love your FPV videos, well done!

Comment

• A few photos from flying the 87th FIS T-33 this evening

Comment

• I know this is the T-33 site, but I’ll ask anyway.

Freewing F-86 verses T-33 - if you had a choice, which would you choose as your first (and only) jet?

Comment

• T-33 - It can really scoot if you want it too but with that straight wing and tip tanks has very good slow speed stability.

As for looks and ease of landings, hard to choose. Both are classics and easy to land!

Comment

• I was happy to get the back in stock notice for the USAF scheme and flew it for the first time this morning. I had been pretty excited about this one since my dad was an RIO in the 57th flying F-89 Scorpions out of Keflavic AFB, Iceland in 59-60. I'm not sure where this T-33 falls in the scheme of things but it is possible that the squadron had these available for training, or just running errands. I have his "Black Knights" Squadron Mug on the mantlepiece. Spent the first year of my life there ;)
                                      I am thoroughly impressed with this model. FW just seems to get better and better at this and no doubt Motion RC has a lot to do with that. I ended up with my 1lb 12oz 5000 mAh packs back against the Blue Box, so CG about 1/4" behind the mark, it is still slightly nose heavy but I like my jets that way. I don't think I need to try and remove the nose weights. I need a bit more down inverted than with an Extra or something. This is easily the most powerful FW EDF I have stock. Great power and I flew easily to a 5 min timer with 35% remaining. Climbs like it will never stop! Looks terrific.

Comment

• Originally posted by Husafreak View Post
                                        I was happy to get the back in stock notice for the USAF scheme and flew it for the first time this morning. I had been pretty excited about this one since my dad was an RIO in the 57th flying F-89 Scorpions out of Keflavic AFB, Iceland in 59-60. I'm not sure where this T-33 falls in the scheme of things but it is possible that the squadron had these available for training, or just running errands. I have his "Black Knights" Squadron Mug on the mantlepiece. Spent the first year of my life there ;)
                                        I am thoroughly impressed with this model. FW just seems to get better and better at this and no doubt Motion RC has a lot to do with that. I ended up with my 1lb 12oz 5000 mAh packs back against the Blue Box, so CG about 1/4" behind the mark, it is still slightly nose heavy but I like my jets that way. I don't think I need to try and remove the nose weights. I need a bit more down inverted than with an Extra or something. This is easily the most powerful FW EDF I have stock. Great power and I flew easily to a 5 min timer with 35% remaining. Climbs like it will never stop! Looks terrific.
                                        Yep, My dad did his initial jet training in a T-33 in 53' before being posted to Elmendorf with the 64th FIS from 53' - 57' flying F-94's and F-89's. Transferred to the 48th FIS at Langley in 57', where I was born a couple years later, where he flew F-102's and F-106's. The 48th FIS had a T-33 and I can only guess it was used for liason, fam rides or even currency. I'm sure if he was still around he'd get a real kick out of the FW T-33 as he was an avid model builder.

Comment

• As for a first EDF it is pretty high performance so you would love that. Orientation is easy with the straight wings. It is really easy to land. You can slow it down for landing but if you get too slow and get the angle of attack too high it might bite. Mine will snap or quick roll with cross controls at speed or in landing configuration at stall. Two examples being the manual throws are high and I got a big ol snap doing a knife edge pass on my first flight, yes I over controlled and I think when those big tip tanks caught the air sideways it did a violent snap, I learned soon enough that you can knife edge with little input but if you overdo it, it will bite. I checked stalls at all flap configurations and it rolled quickly as it stalled. I don't know about a foam F-86. The bigger ones will snap too, a lot of turbine guys mix spoilerons with flaps (or even elevator) to help prevent that. Maybe the FW F-86 is gentle. I don't know. I think the Mig 15-17 are generally very forgiving. My HK 17 sure is. It will be interesting to see what guys recommend to you. Some jets, like the F-16, are just dead easy to land and you can get the nose way up there and still be flying at high alpha, you would not want to do this with the T-33.

Comment

Working...
                                          X