Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Take 45 seconds to paint it?
    What? I'll bet it'll take at least 5 minutes. That's alot of work ya know :Whew:

Comment

• Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post

What? I'll bet it'll take at least 5 minutes. That's alot of work ya know :Whew:
      I'll need to paint them on my silver "The Dragon and his Tail"...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171120_205621576_iOS.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	108634
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I'll need to paint them on my silver "The Dragon and his Tail"...

Name:	20171120_205621576_iOS.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	108634
        I noticed a couple of errors.on Callie's original design. You might want to contact her for the update.

Im also planning this livery, but I wish the graphics were waterslide. Repositioning the vinyl never works and I like how waterslide looks painted on.

Comment

I'm working on getting a few of the wheels now, I'll post up if my guy comes through.
          Hey TI, I would definitely be down for one of those nosewheels if your source comes through. Happy to pay for it, S&H, whatever you think fair. Thanks for trying, even if it doesn't pan out!

Comment

• Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post

You are correct, the OD's come with red tails and the silver come with yellow. Kinda bummed me out a bit also. But watcha gonna do
            No sweat. I took the Flightline silver P-38 to look like Hub Zemke's plane he flew briefly as CO of the 479th FG. A little more work, but we are getting a beautiful new airplane model to add to our collections!

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hey TI, I would definitely be down for one of those nosewheels if your source comes through. Happy to pay for it, S&H, whatever you think fair. Thanks for trying, even if it doesn't pan out!
              TI,

Ditto for me. The 2.25 looks great !
              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Another scheme has just been added, Bottoms Up!

721st Bomb Squadron, 450th Bomb Group, 47th Bomb Wing, 1st Air Force

Bottoms Up was lost on 16 March 1945 for undetermined reasons.

Name:	b-24 BOTTOMS UP.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	108713

721st Bomb Squadron, 450th Bomb Group, 47th Bomb Wing, 1st Air ForceBottoms Up was lost on 16 March 1945 for undetermined reasons.

Comment

• Working on my crew while waiting on my 24.
                  the first one I did a little carving on, and is on the left. Pretty sure he’s going to be one of my side gunners. The middle one will probably end up in the nose turret. I’m happy with that look! What do you guys think?

Comment

• The EMS models are not well built as far as I am concerned. I have B25 Mitchell and it never flew because the rudders were poor quality and the gears doors were non-functional for the most part. I am still working on the rudders and will just forget about doors.

Comment

• Crap... that's a bummer for a plane of that size and cost. Very sad indeed that you pretty much have to reengineer the tail for an arf. Should have marketed it as narf. Not Almost Ready to Fly.

Comment

• First post here. Was drawn to MotionRC earlier this year for their handling of the XK micro heli line (best micro CP helis, ever). Anyhoo, the recent news of the B-24 release brought a smile to my face (and drove me to join this forum). My Father was a B-24 pilot (he's the lad in the lower right of the attached photo), but was lucky in that the war ended before he had to go fight. Here is a shot of his crew and their plane. I know that he did a lot training runs near San Francisco and there was a rumor that on one day, his crew egged him on to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge. I could never get him to commit one way or the other to a straight answer, but he never denied it. He did say that to do so would be no big deal at all as they were doing a lot of low level practice over the ocean and clearing the bridge would be a no-brainer. I think they did it!

Name:	DadsB24Crew125.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	108959

Needless to say, I've pre-ordered a new FlightLine (olive) B-24!

Oh yeah, one more thing... Hi Everybody!
                        Jeff Roberson in Salt Lake City, UT

Comment

• Super cool connection Jeff! Welcome aboard!

Comment

• Welcome to the Squawk Jeff! I love those little photos of military history, you must be proud.

Comment

• Very cool pic and story Jeff, I'd put money down that they did it. :)

Comment

• Welcome Jeff from me as well, look at how young these guys were!
                                Picture this generation doing this........they'd have to supply bubble wrap and therapy dogs, maybe they'd howl at Hitler every night!!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• It’s getting real! Looking for more inspiration and knowledge in this book.

Comment

• It’s getting real! Looking for more inspiration and knowledge in this book.

Comment

• I now almost regret ordering the Olive Drab version. For truer scale fidelity, might have been better to go with the silver edition and repaint the entire plane olive drab. There really wasn't a two tone wavy gray camo look covering the underside. The early D models were 100% olive drab and didn't have red painted cowls either. I think the Collins Foundation added this. The red and white v-stab marking while it looks nice is also not representative of the true full scale B-24's that came out of Consolidated's San Diego or Willow Run(Ford) Plants . The large letter was the RCL or Radio call letter . The bar was placed over the letter not under the letter as shown on Witchcraft. I believe Consolidated's Ft. Worth plant, the 1 mile long USAF owned plant 4 that evolved from Consolidated to Convair to General Dynamics to Lockheed Martin making today's F-35’s and F-16's came on line with the B-24 in 1943
                                      My Dad was a Tech Sarge/ Asst Crew Chief in the 93rd Bombardment Group, 409th Bomb Squadron, 8th Airforce. Known as "Ted's Traveling Circus" for Ted Timberlake. In today's world, he would have been an A&P.

They arrived fairly early to Hardwick England from their mobilization in Ft. Meyers. Went from there to Libya and back a few times. From Benghazi, they participated in Operation Tidal Wave which was the second raid over the Ploesti oil fields and refineries. The High Brass felt this would shorten the war as this area was responsible for about 35% of the Nazi’s fuel supply. Of course, the mission turned out to be a disaster in terms of planes and men lost but still successful in the damage inflicted. Back to Hardwick then to Tunis to bomb Italian targets. Finally back to Hardwick for D-Day and bombing missions over Germany , Belgium and Holland. Exit England back to the States via the Queen Mary. 30 day leave and then option to re-up with B-29 group in the Pacific. Dad opted out. Had seen enough.

I'm actually a member of the 93rd BG as a family descendant. One of the few associations around that has continued on. There's a reunion every year comprised of a few of the remaining airmen but mainly the children and grandchildren who have a desire to keep the memory alive. There's even a Facebook page. Some great stories I've learned about how life was like in the USAAF. My plan is to bring the model to a reunion . They do have a Jack Stafford Model at their museum in Hardwick.

I have several pieces of memorabilia from his time in the Army Air Corps. It's not easy obtaining actual 409th squadron livery and nose art but I've managed to find a few with his name associated. In other words, planes that he actually worked on while in England and N. Africa.

Here are a few. Personally, I like the Tupelo Lass the best. Shows his squadron insignia
                                      and might be easier for Callie to replicate. Don't forget the fire extinguisher label.

-Hawk
                                      Attached Files
                                      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                        I now almost regret ordering the Olive Drab version. For truer scale fidelity, might have been better to go with the silver edition and repaint the entire plane olive drab. There really wasn't a two tone wavy gray camo look covering the underside. The early D models were 100% olive drab and didn't have red painted cowls either. I think the Collins Foundation added this. The red and white v-stab marking while it looks nice is also not representative of the true full scale B-24's that came out of Consolidated's San Diego or Willow Run(Ford) Plants . The large letter was the RCL or Radio call letter . The bar was placed over the letter not under the letter as shown on Witchcraft. I believe Consolidated's Ft. Worth plant, the 1 mile long USAF owned plant 4 that evolved from Consolidated to Convair to General Dynamics to Lockheed Martin making today's F-35’s and F-16's came on line with the B-24 in 1943
                                        My Dad was a Tech Sarge/ Asst Crew Chief in the 93rd Bombardment Group, 409th Bomb Squadron, 8th Airforce. Known as "Ted's Traveling Circus" for Ted Timberlake. In today's world, he would have been an A&P.

They arrived fairly early to Hardwick England from their mobilization in Ft. Meyers. Went from there to Libya and back a few times. From Benghazi, they participated in Operation Tidal Wave which was the second raid over the Ploesti oil fields and refineries. The High Brass felt this would shorten the war as this area was responsible for about 35% of the Nazi’s fuel supply. Of course, the mission turned out to be a disaster in terms of planes and men lost but still successful in the damage inflicted. Back to Hardwick then to Tunis to bomb Italian targets. Finally back to Hardwick for D-Day and bombing missions over Germany , Belgium and Holland. Exit England back to the States via the Queen Mary. 30 day leave and then option to re-up with B-29 group in the Pacific. Dad opted out. Had seen enough.

I'm actually a member of the 93rd BG as a family descendant. One of the few associations around that has continued on. There's a reunion every year comprised of a few of the remaining airmen but mainly the children and grandchildren who have a desire to keep the memory alive. There's even a Facebook page. Some great stories I've learned about how life was like in the USAAF. My plan is to bring the model to a reunion . They do have a Jack Stafford Model at their museum in Hardwick.

I have several pieces of memorabilia from his time in the Army Air Corps. It's not easy obtaining actual 409th squadron livery and nose art but I've managed to find a few with his name associated. In other words, planes that he actually worked on while in England and N. Africa.

Here are a few. Personally, I like the Tupelo Lass the best. Shows his squadron insignia
                                        and might be easier for Callie to replicate. Don't forget the fire extinguisher label.

-Hawk
                                        Two of those have the gray bottoms.
                                        TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Lol TI, I cede to the gentleman from Tennessee! Leaning towards the Tupelo Lass .

Any news on the 2.25” wheel ? Found somebody to 3D print but he said the STL files were kind of disorganized. I dunno.

Anyone figure out the Bombay doors yet ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X